Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Damn You JimC!

1K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Rev Bubba 
#1 ·
If I get hurt, its your fault. Expect my attorney to contact you at once (its the American way although I see Canadians are getting in on the act these days).

Anyway, it is you and your North Shore riding that is to blame. You, JimC, being one of the few people on MTBR who is older than me (your bio says you were born in 1912 which makes you older than my mother - want to get fixed up? ) can't seem to get it through your head that you are too old for this kind of thing.

Well, neither can I. Last time I tried some lift served riding, the results were less than optimal. That is a polite way of saying my riding "sucked" but I'm way to old to say anything "sucked." It would be like me calling someone "Dude." Weird. Obviously, if my riding was less than optimal, it must have been the bike. The bike was an FS with discs. Logically, this would lead me to believe that I could ride lift served (dare I say "Downhill?") better on a bike more suited to that type of thing.

Bingo! The answer is a DH Hardtail. Now, I will admit that my logic is often flawed but I have been thinking along these lines for some time now and last week, Daddy 2, a poster on the NJ forum, offered me his Santa Cruz Chameleon frame at a very good price. Hardly ever used. Sooooo, I convinced my wife that the FS frame was nearing the end of its useful life (I was fortunate that she was riding with me last year when the shock bolt bolted and also with me when the shock itself decided to die on the trail). Obviously a cosmic occurance that she be there when things went bad.

It is also somewhat cosmic that I convinced my wife while we were in Canada. I don't know why that is cosmic, but it was.

Saturday I brought the FS and the Chameleon to my LBS. "I have a surprise for you" I said to my favorite mechanic. He looks forward to my bikes to get him off the usual $200 hybrids and toy store Huffy's he normally works on. Pulling out the Chameleon frame, I told him of my plan. He smiled, he being young and also one to ride a hardtail freeride bike.

"So," I continued, "lets see what we can do." The plan is to use as many parts from the FS as possible. The fork will be a 5" Psylo SL, brakes Avid Mech discs, wheels, Rhyno Lites, tires, for the moment, Continenal 2.35, riser bar and other standard parts. A new seatpost was needed. I went for a Thomson in black to match the frame. An Easton Vice stem in 65mm was ordered too. If the front derailuer needs replacement, I said to go for Deore to keep the costs down.

In a week or so the bike will be ready. I will no longer even own an FS except for the naked and worn out frame. I will head to my local ski area and the Diablo Free Ride Park to try to ride like you, JimC.

I hope I do better on a bike like this than you did when you tried an XC hardtail. I seem to remember a story about that and a crash somewhere back.

Either thanks for the inspiration or "Damn You JimC!"

Time will tell. Oh, one more thing, if my attorney is not allowed to practice in BC, do you have one locally I can use to sue you?
Peace
REV
:)

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, well, well...don't blame JimC for your stupidity, K?

HEHEHEHE, I look forward to see that new rig at Thorpe in a month. I'm getting shape, but not in the woods. I'm recovering from a pulled something in my hip from running and road rides are making it feel much better.

Bikebreath, [ haven't been on my FS in over a year. Plan to use it for parts for my EWR.]

#4 ·
LOL!!

JimC was born in 1912? are you sure? he told me that he was "29" when we met for smoked meat in Mtl an eon ago. humph. who'da thought that he was lying? :D

enjoy the new ride. it will take years off your life....or is that life off your years? well, whatever. :D

rt <---youngun (can still say "sucked" and "dude" and not look any more ridiculous than usual. ;))

#5 ·
His bio blurb said 1912.......

Just click on his name in MTBR and its there in black and white. Makes him the same age as my father. My father is long gone....

So, is Jim lying? Nah, Canadians don't lie. Maybe he just hit his head when he wrecked the XC hardtail. Yeah, that must be it.

Damn, I'm going to get hurt.

Glad I have Roach Pads and a full face helmet to play in.
:)

#7 ·
Don't know if the new rig is going to JT

I may want to go out in style with the IF.

Since nothing ever became of a new EWR frame, the Chameleon will have to take its place. To bring it or not to bring it, ah that's the rub.... As always, I'm looking forward to seeing your EWR. Like fine wine (before it turns to vinegar) some things get better with age.

You heal but be warned, I have every intention of having three relaxing days of riding at Jim Thorpe so no matter what shape you are in, I'm relaxing at the 20th and final MBW.

#10 ·
No, no, no....

I was an NCO in the old days and no one called me "Sir" than or now. I think the Dudes are more afraid they will have to perform CPR when they see me than in awe of anything.

No one has had the nerve to call me "Pop" or anything like that either. If they did, they would get an earful of good old-fashioned "NCO Speak." Know what I mean?

#13 ·
What a Maroon!

j/k....you oughta have a ton of fun on that Rev., just refrain from falling! It's easy. If you go fast enough, I theorize the wheel spin gyroscopic effect will keep you upright. :rolleyes:

Nice choice, you'll discover another world of fun and pain.

BTW, 1912 is correct, but I'm 58.

Jim

#14 ·
JimC. said:
j/k....you oughta have a ton of fun on that Rev., just refrain from falling! It's easy. If you go fast enough, I theorize the wheel spin gyroscopic effect will keep you upright. :rolleyes:

Nice choice, you'll discover another world of fun and pain.

BTW, 1912 is correct, but I'm 58.

Jim
He's a fugitive slave?

Maroon \Ma*roon"\, n. [Written also marroon.]

[F. marron, abbrev. fr. Sp. cimarron wild, unruly, from cima the summit of a mountain; hence, ***** cimarron a runaway ***** that lives in the mountains.]

In the West Indies and Guiana, a fugitive slave, or a free *****, living in the mountains. [1913 Webster]

Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44

Kn.

#16 ·
I'm no fugitive.

I've never been smart enough or fast enough to get away when I did something wrong.

I was always the kid on mischief night who got caught and had to pick up the garbage even if I was not the one who dumped it.

"Sucks" to be slow..............

#19 ·
CPR? Yeah, I know that look in their eyes, too! We went for a ride with Hfly a day after arriving in Moab one year, then again a week later. He ALWAYS looks for something positive to say, and the best he could come up with for me was:

"You're not NEARLY as out of breath as you were last week!"

What a guy.

Ken

ps: once we shuttled Porcupine and there was a guy in fromt of the LBS that made me look anorexic. He asked to join us, and even I was worried about doing CPR on him!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.