Thread: Damn You JimC!

mtbr member

Damn You JimC!

If I get hurt, its your fault. Expect my attorney to contact you at once (its the American way although I see Canadians are getting in on the act these days).

Anyway, it is you and your North Shore riding that is to blame. You, JimC, being one of the few people on MTBR who is older than me (your bio says you were born in 1912 which makes you older than my mother - want to get fixed up? ) can't seem to get it through your head that you are too old for this kind of thing.

Well, neither can I. Last time I tried some lift served riding, the results were less than optimal. That is a polite way of saying my riding "sucked" but I'm way to old to say anything "sucked." It would be like me calling someone "Dude." Weird. Obviously, if my riding was less than optimal, it must have been the bike. The bike was an FS with discs. Logically, this would lead me to believe that I could ride lift served (dare I say "Downhill?") better on a bike more suited to that type of thing.

Bingo! The answer is a DH Hardtail. Now, I will admit that my logic is often flawed but I have been thinking along these lines for some time now and last week, Daddy 2, a poster on the NJ forum, offered me his Santa Cruz Chameleon frame at a very good price. Hardly ever used. Sooooo, I convinced my wife that the FS frame was nearing the end of its useful life (I was fortunate that she was riding with me last year when the shock bolt bolted and also with me when the shock itself decided to die on the trail). Obviously a cosmic occurance that she be there when things went bad.

It is also somewhat cosmic that I convinced my wife while we were in Canada. I don't know why that is cosmic, but it was.

Saturday I brought the FS and the Chameleon to my LBS. "I have a surprise for you" I said to my favorite mechanic. He looks forward to my bikes to get him off the usual $200 hybrids and toy store Huffy's he normally works on. Pulling out the Chameleon frame, I told him of my plan. He smiled, he being young and also one to ride a hardtail freeride bike.

"So," I continued, "lets see what we can do." The plan is to use as many parts from the FS as possible. The fork will be a 5" Psylo SL, brakes Avid Mech discs, wheels, Rhyno Lites, tires, for the moment, Continenal 2.35, riser bar and other standard parts. A new seatpost was needed. I went for a Thomson in black to match the frame. An Easton Vice stem in 65mm was ordered too. If the front derailuer needs replacement, I said to go for Deore to keep the costs down.

In a week or so the bike will be ready. I will no longer even own an FS except for the naked and worn out frame. I will head to my local ski area and the Diablo Free Ride Park to try to ride like you, JimC.

I hope I do better on a bike like this than you did when you tried an XC hardtail. I seem to remember a story about that and a crash somewhere back.

Either thanks for the inspiration or "Damn You JimC!"

Time will tell. Oh, one more thing, if my attorney is not allowed to practice in BC, do you have one locally I can use to sue you?
    Peace
    REV

old format's better
    Jan 2004
    Duuuuuuuuuude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That RAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus, you can get a really nice house in the settlement now, since JimC has moved in next door to Harrison Ford and Calistoga Flockheart.

Ken
    No matter where you go, there you are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, well, well...don't blame JimC for your stupidity, K?

HEHEHEHE, I look forward to see that new rig at Thorpe in a month. I'm getting shape, but not in the woods. I'm recovering from a pulled something in my hip from running and road rides are making it feel much better.

Bikebreath, [ haven't been on my FS in over a year. Plan to use it for parts for my EWR.]
    bikes are art you ride

i worship Mr T
    LOL!!

JimC was born in 1912? are you sure? he told me that he was "29" when we met for smoked meat in Mtl an eon ago. humph. who'da thought that he was lying?

enjoy the new ride. it will take years off your life....or is that life off your years? well, whatever.

rt <---youngun (can still say "sucked" and "dude" and not look any more ridiculous than usual. )
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member

His bio blurb said 1912.......

Just click on his name in MTBR and its there in black and white. Makes him the same age as my father. My father is long gone....

So, is Jim lying? Nah, Canadians don't lie. Maybe he just hit his head when he wrecked the XC hardtail. Yeah, that must be it.

Damn, I'm going to get hurt.

Glad I have Roach Pads and a full face helmet to play in.

mtbr member
    Skip the deraileur crud, make it an SS. (You're never going to pedal uphill anyway)

P.S. Do the "dudes" every call you "sir"?

mtbr member

Don't know if the new rig is going to JT

I may want to go out in style with the IF.

Since nothing ever became of a new EWR frame, the Chameleon will have to take its place. To bring it or not to bring it, ah that's the rub.... As always, I'm looking forward to seeing your EWR. Like fine wine (before it turns to vinegar) some things get better with age.

You heal but be warned, I have every intention of having three relaxing days of riding at Jim Thorpe so no matter what shape you are in, I'm relaxing at the 20th and final MBW.

mtbr member

He's hangin' with a Jersey girl?

Calistoga Flockheart! I forget exactly where, but she's a local. Is Jim moving in on Harrison? Will I read about him in the tabloids? Will someone else be saying "Damn you JimC?" My, my.

old format's better
    Jan 2004

Bwaaa...the dudes are REQUIRED

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Skip the deraileur crud, make it an SS. (You're never going to pedal uphill anyway)

P.S. Do the "dudes" every call you "sir"?
    to call him SIR!!!!!! You really hit the nail on the head, Pacman.

Ken

mtbr member

No, no, no....

I was an NCO in the old days and no one called me "Sir" than or now. I think the Dudes are more afraid they will have to perform CPR when they see me than in awe of anything.

No one has had the nerve to call me "Pop" or anything like that either. If they did, they would get an earful of good old-fashioned "NCO Speak." Know what I mean?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I thought he was around 50 or so?

mtbr member

All kidding aside, he's older than that....

I'm 55 and he is older than me. I forget the exact age. I forget a lot of things. What were we talking about?

There's no app for this.

What a Maroon!

j/k....you oughta have a ton of fun on that Rev., just refrain from falling! It's easy. If you go fast enough, I theorize the wheel spin gyroscopic effect will keep you upright.

Nice choice, you'll discover another world of fun and pain.

BTW, 1912 is correct, but I'm 58.

Jim

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    j/k....you oughta have a ton of fun on that Rev., just refrain from falling! It's easy. If you go fast enough, I theorize the wheel spin gyroscopic effect will keep you upright.

Nice choice, you'll discover another world of fun and pain.

BTW, 1912 is correct, but I'm 58.

Jim
    He's a fugitive slave?

Maroon \Ma*roon"\, n. [Written also marroon.]

[F. marron, abbrev. fr. Sp. cimarron wild, unruly, from cima the summit of a mountain; hence, negro cimarron a runaway negro that lives in the mountains.]

In the West Indies and Guiana, a fugitive slave, or a free negro, living in the mountains. [1913 Webster]

Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

mtbr member

Damned kids

Telling me to go faster! Sure, then I can fall even harder.

I'll give your answer to my attorney with the other evidence of your ill intent.

mtbr member

I'm no fugitive.

I've never been smart enough or fast enough to get away when I did something wrong.

I was always the kid on mischief night who got caught and had to pick up the garbage even if I was not the one who dumped it.

"Sucks" to be slow..............

A wheelist
    Great stuff Rev. Here's my new venture. I think JimC's in the picture -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

There's no app for this.

That was later eMTea

here I am doing my 1st singletrack. Jim

old format's better
    Jan 2004
    CPR? Yeah, I know that look in their eyes, too! We went for a ride with Hfly a day after arriving in Moab one year, then again a week later. He ALWAYS looks for something positive to say, and the best he could come up with for me was:

"You're not NEARLY as out of breath as you were last week!"

What a guy.

Ken

ps: once we shuttled Porcupine and there was a guy in fromt of the LBS that made me look anorexic. He asked to join us, and even I was worried about doing CPR on him!

mtbr member

Is Jim in the striped Jersey?

It sort of looks like him....

mtbr member

24" rear wheel?

Looks like it to me. You guys are scaring me. Really!