Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damn roadies!

mtbr member

Damn roadies!

So, yesterday afternoon I'm going north on Erringer Road and I'm going to make a right turn onto Alamo, I have the green arrow. There's a pack of about 15 roadies going south on Erringer Road and they want to turn left. Instead of just waiting for me to turn right, because I have the right of way, they cross the intersection on my side of the street, going the wrong way, and make a u-turn and get behind me and they make the right turn following me. At one point I stopped because I thought one or more riders were going to try and cut in front of me and a couple of the guys looked at me like I was stupid. I'm like WTF!! It would have been faster and easier to just wait for me because Erringer Road is downhill if you're going south. And, these kind of dumb asses wonder why they get run over. Ok, rant over.

Edit: I was driving my car.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 4 Days Ago at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That's why I like having blacked out windows all around. Can't see me or what I'm doing! People are less likely to assume and make poor choices driving/riding around me.
    2016 RadRover Fat Bike, 750w, white
    2014 Mongoose Beast, Red

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaBum View Post
    That's why I like having blacked out windows all around. Can't see me or what I'm doing! People are less likely to assume and make poor choices driving/riding around me.
    I don't think a blacked out windshield would be a good idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I don't think a blacked out windshield would be a good idea.
    As long as you don't spray paint it black!!

My Explorer is at 55% VLT. My Fusion at 70% VLT. I think 60-65% is the sweet spot for me.

But it is nice. I'm always granted access to "go first" at an intersection with stop signs if we roll up at the same moment.
    2016 RadRover Fat Bike, 750w, white
    2014 Mongoose Beast, Red

occ member
    Would you have preferred they make a left in front of you? They most likely had a green light going south, and a red left turn arrow. There's also a divider they couldn't cross over, that's why they pulled onto your side of the road to make a u turn. So yeah, they could have just waited, but they figured you'd just go and be out of their way so they could continue.

I think you must have been checking out their spandex or something.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaBum View Post
    As long as you don't spray paint it black!!

My Explorer is at 55% VLT. My Fusion at 70% VLT. I think 60-65% is the sweet spot for me.

But it is nice. I'm always granted access to "go first" at an intersection with stop signs if we roll up at the same moment.
    still not wise regardless.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member
    When I read this, I assumed you were on your mountain bike, so it sounded pretty strange. Then I saw the comments about dark windows.

Roadies are taught to make eye contact with drivers to be sure the are seen so that may have been what they were doing rather than looking at you like you are stupid, though in a group they'd be hard to miss.

I guess they didn't want to unclip and stop and wait for you to turn and were hoping to keep moving by falling in behind you, though not sure how a group that big could smoothly u-turn. I agree that riding on the wrong side of the road to do so was not a good move, they should have just stopped and turned correctly or track stranded while waiting for you (guess that may be hard in a group). Confusing drivers when road riding is never a good idea.
    2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29
    2005 Jamis Dragon
    2003 Jamis Dakota XC converted to single speed

because GIANT
    roadies were 100% in the wrong

they should have filed into the left turn lane with painted arrow
    and waited until they got green signal and intersection clear

FAIL for the roadie douches

this is the view the roadies had
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Damn roadies!-capture.jpg  

mtbr member
    Doesn't seem like such a big deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    roadies were 100% in the wrong

they should have filed into the left turn lane with painted arrow
    and waited until they got green signal and intersection clear

FAIL for the roadie douches

this is the view the roadies had
    Yes, except they were on the correct side of the road and crossed over in the intersection.

mtbr member
    Road riders were in the wrong. They should just follow the traffic rules and waited. That being said, people seem to be looking for cyclists to break the rules.

How many social media posts to you hear people complaining about the guy in the left lane on the highway going 70 in a 55? They are just as guilty of breaking the rules. What about the guy turning left at the signal, who runs the red turn signal when you have a green light going straight. You have to wait until this entitled jerk clears the lane before you can go, but I don't see too many social media posts about this. Let a cyclist do it and you'll never hear the end of it.

I look at cyclists (MTB or road) as cyclists. Anytime you insult one, you insult the other. We are all just trying to do our thing.
    It is difficult for some people to use the two words "too" and "to" appropriately.

"I had to go where I went, to get where I am. Any other path would have taken me elsewhere, and I may have missed the joy."

mtbr member
    Oh, and I was driving my car.

because GIANT
    Yes, except they were on the correct side of the road and crossed over in the intersection.

op said they went forward into the opposing side oncoming lane which makes them immediately going wrong way, then they u-turned to the right turn lane behind OP

roadies wrong wrong wrong

should have waited and just turned left. not go straight, make a lazy s into wrong way traffic and u-turn ...

because GIANT
    this is what the roadies did, amirite ?

so FAIL for roadies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Damn roadies!-capture.jpg  

mtbr member
    op said they went forward into the opposing side oncoming lane which makes them immediately going wrong way, then they u-turned to the right turn lane behind OP

roadies wrong wrong wrong

should have waited and just turned left. not go straight, make a lazy s into wrong way traffic and u-turn ...
    Yes, that OP would be me. The crossed over in the intersection.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by jspharmd View Post
    Road riders were in the wrong. They should just follow the traffic rules and waited. That being said, people seem to be looking for cyclists to break the rules.

How many social media posts do you hear people complaining about the guy in the left lane on the highway going 70 in a 55? They are just as guilty of breaking the rules. What about the guy turning left at the signal, who runs the red turn signal when you have a green light going straight. You have to wait until this entitled jerk clears the lane before you can go.
    I witness these types of infractions daily, all sorts of entitlement driving antics, poor judgement which will some day come to an abrupt stop.....with another vehicle that is. Traffic enforcement is quite poor in my surrounding communities.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

gone walk about
    Yes, that OP would be me. The crossed over in the intersection.
    Thats a pretty extreme douchy move with several infractions in one fail swoop.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member

so FAIL for roadies
    if that's the case then yes...roadie idiots

because GIANT
    damn roadies indeed

http://i.imgur.com/cbgxiRn.gifv

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!

so FAIL for roadies
    That's exactly how I perceived OP's explanation and as a pretty regular "roadie" myself, these days, I say that's a total douche-nugget move. Entitled Pack mentality drives this sort of BS behavior and it's a shame that a PoPo wasn't there to witness it and cite the nuggets. I ride alone because this mentality is prevalent with so many riders. Not ALL, but a vast amount. I quit advocating for road cyclists in many situations because until the majority cleans up their sh*tty, highly visible public behavior within the ranks, they will always be called out for being the douche's they are. It pains me to be associated with their type but as I said, I NEVER ride a group. I just do my own thing withing the parameters of what the law requires me to do.

I'll add to that in response to a comment somewhere above. Coming from a long time background of well-trained street motorcycling riding/touring, I ride my road bicycle like I'm invisible. Don't get me started on the BS window tint issue. You're a douche if you go dark on the fronts and an even bigger douche if you have anything on your windshield. I give minimal credence to eye contact with other drivers. Too many times they look right "through" you and will mow you down. I stay alive on the road by studying a driver's front wheel in those circumstances. It speaks volumes as to their intentions, whether they see you or not.
    Always ride with a purpose.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    That's exactly how I perceived OP's explanation and as a pretty regular "roadie" myself, these days, I say that's a total douche-nugget move. Entitled Pack mentality drives this sort of BS behavior and it's a shame that a PoPo wasn't there to witness it and cite the nuggets. I ride alone because this mentality is prevalent with so many riders. Not ALL, but a vast amount. I quit advocating for road cyclists in many situations because until the majority cleans up their sh*tty, highly visible public behavior within the ranks, they will always be called out for being the douche's they are. It pains me to be associated with their type but as I said, I NEVER ride a group. I just do my own thing withing the parameters of what the law requires me to do.

I'll add to that in response to a comment somewhere above. Coming from a long time background of well-trained street motorcycling riding/touring, I ride my road bicycle like I'm invisible. Don't get me started on the BS window tint issue. You're a douche if you go dark on the fronts and an even bigger douche if you have anything on your windshield. I give minimal credence to eye contact with other drivers. Too many times they look right "through" you and will mow you down. I stay alive on the road by studying a driver's front wheel in those circumstances. It speaks volumes as to their intentions, whether they see you or not.
    repped!! for truth.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member
    ^^ Yeah, I like it too!

mtbr member
    You really get an understanding for bad driving by riding a bike on the road. I find the worse thing drivers do is anything sudden, changing lanes sharply instead of signaling and easing over for example. And not stopping before the crosswalk but zooming through it and then braking at the last moment at a red light. And cutting into the bike lane to get into the turn lane as quickly as possible.

I've never group ridden on the road before, just with a couple of people on green-ways. I wonder if some of the guys in the group were wondering what the hell the guys in front were doing. I can see where the OP would be wondering what the hell they were doing and be worried about some of them cutting in front of him rather than riding up the wrong side of the road. I still can't figure why they thought that was a good idea. Seems more stupid than elitist.
    2005 Jamis Dragon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    not stopping before the crosswalk but zooming through it
    Bicycles are not pedestrians. They are under the same driving rules as a motor vehicle. You do not have to stop for a bicycle in a crosswalk, unless they are walking.
    I'd rather push my 29er than ride a road bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    Bicycles are not pedestrians. They are under the same driving rules as a motor vehicle. You do not have to stop for a bicycle in a crosswalk, unless they are walking.
    Too bad a lot of bikers don't get that. I see it all the time.
    The music never stops

b a n n e d
    I concur with OP, that the riders made a very poor choice. I've seen this before and often times they're shop rides, clearly wearing the shop jersey. I've gone to the store before and told the owners what I've seen riders in their jersey's do . . . needless to say, the owner was none-to-pleased to hear that his advertising was becoming associated with asshat riding.

In regard to those with super dark tint - you probably want to rethink that, or at least very carefully review your auto insurance. If you're over the max legal limit (i.e., driving with an illegal modification to your vehicle that impedes vision) and you get into an accident, you will get destroyed in court and maybe even denied coverage by your insurance. A lot of auto policies have requirements about "maintaining vehicle in a manner consistent with state regulations," and over the limit tint would not be "consistent with state regulations." Even if you get your cousin's friend's uncle benny to scratch out a "doctors note," if you don't actually need it, good luck with the eye exam that opposing counsel orders.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

occ member
    Tinted windows don't mean nothin', they know who's inside...

mtbr member
    And not stopping before the crosswalk but zooming through it and then braking at the last moment at a red light.
    Drivers at a red light are supposed to stop before the crosswalk, not in it; doesn't matter if there are pedestrians, bikes, or no one.
    2005 Jamis Dragon

mtbr member
    Drivers at a red light are supposed to stop before the crosswalk, not in it; doesn't matter if there are pedestrians, bikes, or no one.
    I get it. Misunderstood the point. I hate it when people do that. Makes it impossible to make the turns with a truck.

My LBS has an advocate group that meets with the towns to make them bike friendly. Don't think they would want to hear what I have to say. They get the towns to claim some of the roads as bike ways. I would like to see a few signs on roads that say "Dangerous-no bikes on this road." Roadies do not give any thought to blind corners and no room to ride. I had to pass a group of four riders today-one of the four was riding double abreast. I sat behind him until I got around the corner, trying to make a point-but I don't think they care if they blocked me or not.

mtbr member
    Roadies do not give any thought to blind corners and no room to ride. I had to pass a group of four riders today-one of the four was riding double abreast. I sat behind him until I got around the corner, trying to make a point-but I don't think they care if they blocked me or not.
    I don't know what your situation was but as a former roadie I used to to the exact same thing you just described and if was for my own protection. Having a driver try to squeeze around you on a narrow road/blind corner and then encountering an oncoming car is dicey so I'd purposely block traffic in that situation until drivers behind could see enough of the road.

I get that some riders do some stupid things but it's hard for me to understand the intense animosity towards them, mostly because it's rare (IME) to get held up for more than a few seconds and more importantly the fact that due to physics and US law the burden of any potential accident is on the cyclist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    so I'd purposely block traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    riders do some stupid things
    these kind of dumb asses wonder why they get run over.
    Thank you. I was going to take some two lane numbered routes back to the terminal today with a 75 foot long truck to take a break from I95. Changed my mind. There won't be any roadies on I95.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    On the road, being that bicycles are vehicles, you can legally take a lane. When I ride roads, I tend to do it when going through intersections to avoid getting pinched into a turn lane. I'll move back over as soon as it's safe beyond the intersection to not hold up traffic though.

And if you're on a narrow road where you can't be safely passed at the time, you're better off taking the lane and not letting them try to pass. As soon as it's safe to be passed again, move over and let the cars by. I do hate when I'm driving and see roadies riding 2 wide with one in the shoulder and one a foot or 2 into my lane. If you're going to ride in the shoulder and let cars past, you should be riding single file, dammit!

Michigan Wolverine
    I thought this was the "passion" forum. Not the "talk down to and call names towards a group that a lot of members on this forum belong to" forum. We are all cyclists here.

Yes, what the roadies the OP witnessed did was wrong and I wish they would have gotten caught and gotten a ticket, but some of the talk in this thread has gone beyond the discussion of that.

This forum is for passion. I guess I don't understand how hating on other cyclists helps fuel your passion for mountain biking, but I guess people find motivation in strange places.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorTC View Post
    I thought this was the "passion" forum. Not the "talk down to and call names towards a group that a lot of members on this forum belong to" forum. We are all cyclists here.

Yes, what the roadies the OP witnessed did was wrong and I wish they would have gotten caught and gotten a ticket, but some of the talk in this thread has gone beyond the discussion of that.

This forum is for passion. I guess I don't understand how hating on other cyclists helps fuel your passion for mountain biking, but I guess people find motivation in strange places.
    frankly it's a discussion for the most part based upon the OP experience, and yes we as members do get a bit off track but the premise is there. The hate is questionable and quite a strong word in this context, IMV as a roadie/mtbr/enthusiast of cycling voicing my thoughts on the OP experience is appropriate so i won't speak for others and their views.

Had an incident taken place with this group of riders the tone here and elsewhere would be quite different with folks in the ER or worse yet dead, then what would the conversation consist of?? sadness, guilt, heartache........but at some point the facts would be spoken as to how the incident unfolded in front of their eyes. No harm in speaking the truth when the moment is right.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

All fat, all the time.
    People get worked up dealing with bikes on the roads because a large majority don't follow the rules/laws.

Last week I saw a grown adult on a BMX ignore a "do not cross" on a crosswalk signal. Luckily the 2 cars in front of me turning, and me behind them, all saw the guy and didn't plow him over. He had earbuds in too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    People get worked up dealing with bikes on the roads because a large majority don't follow the rules/laws.
    I don't know, I think most riders follow the rules to the best of their ability, at least half anyway. People tend to notice law breakers more than they do law abiders.

On the other hand nearly 100% of drivers break laws on a regular basis and people don't seem to get so worked up about that.

occ member

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    WHAAAAT!!!??? People don't follow the rules!?!?!? How many people whining about road bikers breaking the law always drive the speed limit, come to complete stops, only pass on dashed lines, use their turn signals, and never pull out in front of people? Yes, those road riders were in the wrong, but not all roadies are that stupid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    People get worked up about bikes on the roads, because they don't like being slowed down and feel they are entitled to that road at that time. It's the same with tractors, mopeds, and the Amish. You want to bring out the absolute worst in people? Put them behind the wheel of a car.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    People get worked up about bikes on the roads, because they don't like being slowed down and feel they are entitled to that road at that time. It's the same with tractors, mopeds, and the Amish. You want to bring out the absolute worst in people? Put them behind the wheel of a car.
    This pretty much sums it up.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Gor'n Ridin'!
    This is so easy. Just blame all the sh!t they pull on strava. It's true.

end/thread

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    This is so easy. Just blame all the sh!t they pull on strava. It's true.

end/thread
    plus+, plus+ = win:

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Tractors are slightly different than those others, as they often suck up an entire half of the road plus the shoulder, so they can't move over to let you pass even if they want to. IMO, moving big equipment on the road has to happen sometimes, so it's ok. Just don't do it in the middle of rush hour and do 15 mph on a 45mph road, because that will piss me off bigtime!

mtbr member
    Holy sh*t, road users do something stupid. In other news; snow is cold, and beer tastes good.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Holy sh*t, road users do something stupid. In other news; snow is cold, and beer tastes good.
    I disagree. Not all beer tastes good. Ever discovered that you had a home brewed beer that has been sitting bottled in your fridge for a full year, laying hidden behind the mustard and mayo jars? Then you jump for joy when you discover it, and you grab it, and you pop open the cap off to enjoy a sip, only to find out that it tastes like a combination of death, sorrow, mud, crap, lint, motor oil, and bird urine? I have. It was not a good tasting beer.

Born With A Tail
    If there is a stop sign before the crosswalk, cars must stop. I'd bet that these "roadies" drive like pricks, too, probably Audis. Maybe somebody should start a thread about the time they saw a car run a red light or the person who speeds through side streets or parking lots to avoid traffic and red lights. How about a sticky: "Bad motorist behavior." Or is that so common that it has become acceptable?
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I get it. Misunderstood the point. I hate it when people do that. Makes it impossible to make the turns with a truck.

My LBS has an advocate group that meets with the towns to make them bike friendly. Don't think they would want to hear what I have to say. They get the towns to claim some of the roads as bike ways. I would like to see a few signs on roads that say "Dangerous-no bikes on this road." Roadies do not give any thought to blind corners and no room to ride. I had to pass a group of four riders today-one of the four was riding double abreast. I sat behind him until I got around the corner, trying to make a point-but I don't think they care if they blocked me or not.
    Had to pass? How about share the road. It belongs to all users. MA laws states 2 abreast is allowed. What is easier to pass as a car? One string of four or a 2 x 2 group ? Year round bike commuter here, but yes some roadies do make stuff harder than it needs to be.

mtbr member
    I move a twelve foot wide mower conditioner behind a hundred horsepower tractor a couple of times a year. I plan out what day of the week, and what time of day to move the mower to avoid times of heavy traffic use. I plan my trip so that I can pull over when I get cars behind me, as soon as possible. I cannot believe that someone would block traffic with a stupid bicycle. That is the most self centered thing that I have ever heard in my life. I have been riding bicycles since 1962, I have never had to block any traffic.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    I don't think riding ON a bicycle qualifies you to make such a point. Your sig line speaks to your bias and lack of knowledge.
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    My signature means that I enjoy pushing my bike through the woods on a trail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast