mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Damn bees! What do you do?

I was on a long climb this morning and picked up a hitchhiker. This bee started buzzing around my head and seemed to have fallen in love with me. For over 5 minutes of climbing, this be kept buzzing all around me. After 4 minutes, I actually wished he would sting me already and get it over with. If I was a threat to this bee or his hive, he sure followed me way past his territory. It is pretty frustrating to pick apart a technical climb with a bee buzzing around you. I finally lost him on a short downhill section. This isn't the first time I've had a bee or other insect stalk me. This is much more frustrating than a bee that stings me and gets the hell out of my way.

When I am outdoors, I usually ignore the bees and they don't bother me. I am not one of those people who swats and freaks out. What is it about riding a bike that makes them want to follow me for long periods of time? Do you have any tips about how to ditch the hitchhikers?

local trails rider
    Try not to look and smell like a flower?

Whatever you do, don't kill it. It might be the last one:
    Bee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    What brand/wheel size do you ride? They are known to follow a few different brands and will NEVER follow a 650b wheeled bike. /truth

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What's worse; a bee buzzing around your head and face, or when that same bee flies around behind you and the buzzing stops? I just straight out tell them that I'm not a flower.

pin it
    Blackflies are now out in full force. They buzz around and crawl inside your helmet and inside your clothes... they bite, then you bleed and itch like mad

Once they die off then deer flies show up. They like biting faces and leave nasty welts. Oh well!

I spritz myself with Deet which is the only stuff that works for me
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Last week while on a hike I had a bee buzzing me for
    a long time. I finally got tired of it and took my hat off
    and started trying to hit it. Well that didn't work because
    I didn't see this one rock and ended up falling on my
    ass. However when I got back up the bee was gone.

Over the Hill
    Stopping putting perfume on before you ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wasps are the one hazard we have where I ride, they yellowjackets make their nests in the ground, sometimes in the trail, and they build quick. Beekeepers will give you a good scolding if you call yellowjackets bees. They are one of the reasons I always ride in lycra shorts, an old mountain biker once told me that one bee is all it takes to make you see the value of lycra shorts. I have gotten stung a few times on my bike, I will spray those yellowjacket hives/nests without any regret.
    Other biting bugs, including mosquitoes, seem to like it when I stop, that's a good reason to not take long breaks.

Trail Prospector
    This ^^ or do it Doggie-Style!
    (At the trailhead, roll around in the nastiest smelling, most putrid stuff you can find.)
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 05-28-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: reply to dpstepper
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Wait til he gets close to your nose or mouth and vacuum him right down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Using scented shampoo and deodorant is all you need to attract them. Add in brightly colored clothes and you're a flower on the move. Wonder if they can detect a high sugar diet?
    I don't eat high sugar foods (prefer spicy) or use any scented products and bees ignore me. As a landscaper have plenty of chances to be stung.
    Perhaps as a biker they think you're mooning them.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I carry an epi pen or I could die, thats what I do. Bought a new helmet this year that has mesh in the front vents, last summer a bee flew in the front vent stung my head, I puffed up like a blow fish from head to toe.

High Desert MTBer
    Bees are attracted by CO2, which you are producing a lot of when you are exerting yourself... the obvious solution is to stop breathing!!! Voila! Bee leaves, perplexed and disappointed...
    It's all Here. Now.

I was once chased down the trail by a horse fly. F'er even kept up on downhill sections. I couldn't shake him while riding. Had to let it land on me when I stopped and then smash it before it stabbed me with its serrated dagger mouthparts.

I haven't had any trouble with bees. A few encounters with yellowjackets. If it's a solo yellowjacket, I am pretty adept at swatting them out of the air and stomping on them. If many, I run away screaming like a girl while they sting me in the softest spots they can find.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The yellow jackets get very aggressive in the Northeast in the fall. What is worse than running over a yellow jackets nest ? Being the third one to ride over it. I did a full run off a moving bike to wild man running, rolling spaz move, did not help. All 6 of us managed to get 2-4 stings apiece.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yellow jackets are aggressive everywhere, they are almost as bad as killer bees for chasing after an intruder. I was never allergic to bees before last year, been stung at least 20 times over the years, anyway when I was 16 my dad had a junk removal business, we went to this house to remove some old wood and an old dog house. To our surprise when we lifted the dog house and I **** you not at this part at least 2000 bees came out, I was stung 10 times before I could even run. It was at dusk so I think that help us not get chased down to the death, the lady turned the outside light on and they were swarming around the dog house like a frigin B horror movie. Never seen anything like that in my life, nor would I want to again, thats were most of my stings were over the years was that one time. So anyways we said call an exterminator and we will come back when they are all dead. Now the plot thickens, my dad says " we will come back tomorrow and take the other stuff" so we do, first piece of wood he grabs has a hornets nest under it , he gets stung on the forearm, swells up like pop-eye the sailor man . That was the end of that job, I think he said call someone else we are outta here via the hospital LOL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    When I was a kid in the 80s, and I was mowing the lawn with one of those mowers that had no safety features. Basically an engine on a deck with a spinning blade underneath. Anyhow, I was mowing the lawn and ran over the hole of an underground hornets nest... I think I set the 100m dash record for the under 15 category that year. The mower with a full tank of gas sat over the hornets nest for about 60minutes until the tank ran dry. Later that night my dad and I through a rope around the push bar and dragged the mower away and sprayed quite a bit of RAID down the hole... and filled it in as best we could with dirt.

Didn't get stung once but I can still picture my dad saying, "Why do I hear the mower running, but you're inside?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    An old army trick:

Swallow 3 match heads during the course of the day when you go out; morning, noon, night. It will put a very small amount of sulphur in your blood stream that insects can detect. It isn't lethal by any means (I'm still alive :P), and I don't have an issue with any insects. There has been times when in mosquito-ville that the few of us that did that didn't get bothered at all, but everyone else got it bad.

Of course, the above does NOT apply when you run over a nest / invade territory / threatening the nest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    An old army trick:

Swallow 3 match heads during the course of the day when you go out; morning, noon, night. It will put a very small amount of sulphur in your blood stream that insects can detect.

Be careful with the strike anywhere ones!

Mmmmmm..... Sulphur.

B.Ike
    Bee's, like many other insects, are very suggestible. A solid, "In the name of (insert fictional/real deity of choice), I command you.... works like a charm.

Me ride.
    Oct 2009
    Saw this a few days ago. What would you do if you ran across this (besides die horribly)?

Jonathan Simpkins destroys massive yellow jacket hive in Central Florida

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I thought I had the same problem the other day but it was only following me when I stopped peddling.

I was trying my best to spot the bugger so I could wack it away but couldnt see anything! it then dawned on me that the buzzing noise was my Hope hub...