FBI tested, NSA approved!

Cycling Vacation of your Dreams?

I talked with a member of the Czech Army this weekend and discovered that not only is he an avid cyclist and nearly daily bike commuter, but he is planning to ride from Prague to Croatia this summer for his vacation. That got me thinking about what I would do for a Cycling Vacation (besides the normal group tour). I have to admit I don't have much imagination when it comes to that type of planning. Maybe because I don't take enough time off to consider what I would do with more vacation. The best I could come up with was riding some trail through the rockies.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

I <3 NM
    New Zealand.

Loved it when I went there, can't wait to go back.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Peru ~ I want to find Ancient Alien spacecraft..maybe use that portal door carved into that big rock. MachuPeChu and other places..chew on coco leaves like a Cliff Bar LOL
    Realy thou I would like that...
    There is a MTB Youtuber that goes all over the world riding trails..F'n jelous of that Fella!! Ireland or ^^ New Zealand / Down Under would be sweet..
    Pffft...I'm stuck here in Cali..maybe before i die I'll adventure out..wife/kids/job/dogs/cats..ball and chianed me to the ground..
    I need = AC/DC = Dirty Deeds
    THen I can travel the world with my bike LOL
    Ok too much coffee..
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Professional Crastinator

Cycling Vacation of my Dreams...

...starts right now, and never ends.

My bike + BOB trailer

Ride to local trail, stash trailer, ride, camp.
    Wake up, pack up and ride to next closest trail.
    Camp.
    Ride.
    Next closest trail.
    Camp.
    Ride.
    ad infinitum

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I'm happy with my usual summer of car camping and mountain biking with my family throughout Wa. OR. and B.C.. We have quite a few planned already.

mtbr member
    I rode in Morocco last spring, which was pretty close to my dream vacation. Iceland the year before that, also just about perfect.
    I don't know... maybe I'm just easy to please because I can't think of anything beyond what most organized tours offer that I'd really look for; things like good weather or meeting interesting people, and not having bad mechanicals are largely luck.

Nepal is probably my next trip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I was still a noob and took my bike to Telluride summer of 2010. Wow. Affordable, 5 star accommodations. Beautiful landscape and all the free trips to the top of the mountain I could handle. Plus, the bluegrass festival was going on there. Talk about meeting some interesting people. Rode around Durango, too.

Had a conference in Monterey, rode Fort Ord. Also Took the bike to Mammoth.

Saw those biking vacations in Peru. That would be pretty cool to ride up to the ruins.

Most of my favorite trails are right at home.

I think wherever you go, is a great ride, except maybe Borrego Springs. All sand there, you have to stay on the pavement.
    Goat Rider

mtbr member
    Southwestern Colorado for a week of trails and IPA. Have been wanting to go since 98. Haven't done it yet. Now I'm sad.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

No known cure
    Iceland last fall. Solo. I rode singletrack for three weeks without seeing another mountainbike.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Iceland last fall. Solo. I rode singletrack for three weeks without seeing another mountainbike.
    Do you have any photos you can post? How was the singletrack? I would LOVE to ride Iceland.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would like to go back to the kenai peninsula and ride some of those trails again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Continental Divide. Canada -> Mexican through the Rockies. Its on my "pre-kids" bucket list

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Crete...I want to go ride there; maybe next year....

The Tour Divide

mtbr member

Re: Cycling Vacation of your Dreams?

The Ardennes. The area near where the Battle of the Bulge was fought. I have a coworker in Germany and a vendor rep in Belgium that both ride that I want to meet up with there. Was supposed to happen this summer until cancer popped up and bit my wife. Bulgaria is a close second on my list.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoo1424 View Post
    The Ardennes. The area near where the Battle of the Bulge was fought. I have a coworker in Germany and a vendor rep in Belgium that both ride that I want to meet up with there. Was supposed to happen this summer until cancer popped up and bit my wife. Bulgaria is a close second on my list.
    That's a great area to visit in general but a very cool place to cycle as well. I hope your wife is kicking cancer's ass and you get a shot at this vacation. The Monks in Val-Dieu make a great beer that was (as of two years ago) still available in a ceramic bottle with a cork and wire basket. It's a great beer and makes a really cool gift for your beer drinking friends.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

One Colorful Rider
    I don't have to leave the US to visit some awesome bike trail.
    I was out in Bend OR last summer some amazing sites

One Colorful Rider
    Or I can Go 4 hours north with all my Closest Friends and enjoy the Ride and Friendship.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    "The Ardennes. The area near where the Battle of the Bulge was fought. I have a coworker in Germany and a vendor rep in Belgium that both ride that I want to meet up with there. Was supposed to happen this summer until cancer popped up and bit my wife. Bulgaria is a close second on my list."

I wish your wife and you well.
    We went to the Ardennes so my wife could race the World Cup in Houffalize. That place is amazing. We wended up staying at a B and B type place over the border in Luxembourg that had a pretty amazing WW 2 artifact display. All the towns around have tanks in the town squares that double as jungle gyms for the kids. Houffalize has a German Tiger, La Roche en Ardenne has a U.S. Sherman, i forget what Bastogne has. The castle ruins are amazing too as is the aforementioned beer.

I <3 NM

Cycling Vacation of your Dreams?

We'll be in that area next week - visiting the WWI sites at Ypres also.

mtbr member

Re: Cycling Vacation of your Dreams?

Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    We'll be in that area next week - visiting the WWI sites at Ypres also.
    That was my original plan - to visit the WW1 battle sites around Ypres, the Somme, and make a trip to Verdun in August for the 100th anniversary of the start of the war. Plus mix in a few WW2 sites. Trip had been on my radar for 20+ years. Hoping to do it in either 16 or 18 now and still mix in the riding.
    Thanks for the well wishes guys. We are one year into this fight and hopefully we are halfway through it. Mountain biking and thoughts of dream vacations like this have helped me keep my sanity.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoo1424 View Post
    That was my original plan - to visit the WW1 battle sites around Ypres, the Somme, and make a trip to Verdun in August for the 100th anniversary of the start of the war. Plus mix in a few WW2 sites. Trip had been on my radar for 20+ years. Hoping to do it in either 16 or 18 now and still mix in the riding.
    Thanks for the well wishes guys. We are one year into this fight and hopefully we are halfway through it. Mountain biking and thoughts of dream vacations like this have helped me keep my sanity.
    Cool - I'll post some trip pix for ya.

We also just finalized our plans for a trip to the DDay Beaches at Normandy for the week of June 6th as well (70th anniversary). Probably one of the last times any WWII vets will gather at the site.

mtbr member
    There are some good trip ideas here.

Realistically I'd probably go to South America perhaps Ecuador or Chile. Or just drive and ride around the western US.

Unrealistically I'd ride the longest distance across every continent mostly self supported on dirt as much as possible. I think it's still a vacation if it's 3-4 years right?
    I like to ride bikes.