Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Is Cycling/Mt Biking replacing golf as far as outdoor activities goes..

fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Retro on Steroids
    If I could ride on the golf course, that would be awesome. Think of the pump track you could build.

Golf, on the other hand, uses a lot of mountain bike territory and not in a good way.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    YES!!!!!! Golf is dumb!!!!

FKA Malibu412
    Yep. Pretty much threw my bag of clubs into a back corner of my shed once I made cycling a lifestyle. That was 6 years ago.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Re: Is Cycling/Mt Biking replacing golf as far as outdoor activities goes..

Been mtb my wholr life but just started learning golf. Always said id pick it up when i got old and well i go 30 this week!

Anyway im loving golf but i have to say cycling and mtb is as good for business. Made more connections on the bike than the golf course so i think its replacing golf in that aspect.

We have a shut down course near me and its one of the funnest placest to ride ever! Natural step downs and lips everywhere. All the traps are grown over and make awesome jumps, best of both worlds!

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk 2

backwoods and backwards
    I'm going to take up golf when I'm too old to do anything fun.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Those are 2007 - 2012 articles, and here's one from August 2014.

A Game of Golf? Not for Many Millennials - WSJ

Coincidentally we (my city, our IMBA chapter) have our bike park and some stalled single track on same property as city golf course. While the golf course committee has some struggles, we don't have a mountain bike community writing checks and giving time for their sport in the same way they do their gear.

With luck stalled single track expansion be behind us soon and awesome terrain too steep and deep for the golf course will be developed.

It's nice to have pump track, jump line a little single track and skills building features where the club house serves local beer.

Middleton Bike Park
    Middleton Bike Park Pump Track Mountain Bike Trail, Middleton, WI
    Pleasant View Trail Mountain Bike Trail, Middleton, WI

I wouldn't be too quick to say golf is dead, just not in the growth cycle it had. Road biking would sooner be the new golf than MTB riding.

speed freak
    May 2007
    I actually love golf, been back into it hardcore for the past year or so. Also, love biking, mostly for the adrenaline, but also for the same reasons... to be out in the nature and enjoy the good weather.
    '06 Test Bike Blue Specalized FSRxc Pro
    '95 Violet Pearl Cannondale Killer-V 900
    WTB '97 Tangerine Cannondale Killer-V 900

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ftabove View Post
    I actually love golf.... to be out in the [engineered and controlled] nature.
    Fixed
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What is golf?

CDK
    mtbr member
    Golf is humorously expensive for what it is. I never understood why people spend so much to play it..
    Riding a mountain bike (or any bike) is relatively cheap after the cost of the bike itself and is wayy more fun and exciting

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Playing golf is great for if you just want a nice, relaxing day to goof around with some friends. Not all of my friends like cycling, but most will at least play a round of golf for shits and giggles. A game of "Best Ball" even means that you don't have to have any semblance of skill to enjoy playing, too. A $300 set of Walmart clubs is fine for me, and difference in cost of even a medium range bike means I could take those cheapo clubs to an 18 hole about 300 times, too.

Gnarly
    How did the golf industry end up dying? Some thought that retired Baby Boomers would hit the links was part of it. But I think a big culprit had something to do with real estate market. Developers can sell houses for far more money if they back onto a golf course and the fancier the golf course, the bigger the premium. But not everyone who wants to live next to a golf course plays golf—so many courses sit relatively empty.

Some operators have cut back on watering and maintenance, allowing courses to exist in a more “natural” state. Others are grasping for new ways to sell to an audience, experimenting with faster-to-play courses and pay-as-you-go pricing. One course in B.C. is using eight-inch cups on the greens to make putting easier, while others propose going as big as 15 inches, roughly the size of a large pizza. One course is combining soccer and golf to appeal to kids who would prefer to kick a ball

Why Canadian golf is dying

I think a good compromise is mini-putt. Tiny courses low maintenance and a money maker... RIP golf
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm also thinking I'll pick up golf when I'm older. 47 now, and still a few decades away from it with any luck.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Gnarly
    Here's Robin Williams impression about golf RIP

NSFW... funny as heck

BTW Robin Williams was an avid cyclist
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    RIP Robin, gonna miss ya.

For me it's not like I'm giving up on golf but we spend so much on other things (like keeping the whole family properly geared up for mt biking) that there isn't much left for things like golf or skiing. For both of those sports it's the cost to do it after the gear purchase that is keeping us away.

Professional Crastinator
    In 2006 I quit my golf league to ride more. I've played once this year. I've ridden a lot more than that.

In NE Ohio there are more golf courses than most anywhere else (it's true - even with our terrible weather). Some of the nicest ones, with housing, have closed. One has been purchased by the local park system. Another may also be developed as a park. Others have been developed for housing. The rates have come way down (we played for $1/hole last Friday, with a cart). I AM hoping that MTBing literally replaces golf and they open some of that terrain as a bike park.

Golfing is where I got the idea of enduro racing a long time ago: timing each hole as riders ripped through the swooping terrain (my local home course has some awesome elevation, rocks, and drops!). I started a thread somewhere (maybe not here) called "Golf Course Racing". I couldn't seem to sell the idea at the time, and timing seemed to be the biggest issue, but now look how popular enduro is.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I never played golf anyway. It's too slow and boring. Not to mention you have to join a club and pay expensive fees. It doesn't cost anything to ride my bike. Of course you can spend a lot on a bike. But you don't have to pay to use it. And you can ride it around straight from home and don't neccessarily require a special place to ride. Except we need to take our mountain bikes to trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm 62 and have never had any interest in golf. It's hard enough trying to find the time for everything else I want to do, never mind a day-long game of sticks-n-balls.
    Lots of my friends play, but have no interest in bikes, I guess it's too hard. Go figure.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

turtles make me hot
    Keep all the stuffed shirts on the golf courses and off the bike trails.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I like biking, snowboarding and golfing with an equal passion.

I'm fiscally screwed!

I'll be the dead old guy who leaves nothing behind for his kids except a gear locker.

I needed a PE credit in college and took golf. It was a fairly quiet and soothing thing to do, just whacking balls at the range for a little while.

But actually going out on a real course? Screw that. First time out on a "public" course and the others golfers were inconsiderate ***** to me. That was about the same time I was just getting into mtb riding. Haven't looked back. I haven't touched a golf club since.

CDK
    mtbr member
    That has been my experience with golfers.. Many years ago I worked on a golf course and prob 80% of the golfers were total arrogant *****.

mtbr member
    It's funny to think there are folks out there that actually think it's a serious form of exercise...

I will say that being fit helps your golf game.... But playing golf won't make you fit...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

turtles make me hot
    My take on golf... Anything you can do with a cigarette in your mouth is not a sport.

This drives my mom crazy because she's a lifelong avid golfer.
    I like turtles

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast