Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 102
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,559

    Is Cycling/Mt Biking replacing golf as far as outdoor activities goes..


  2. #2
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,802
    If I could ride on the golf course, that would be awesome. Think of the pump track you could build.

    Golf, on the other hand, uses a lot of mountain bike territory and not in a good way.

  3. #3
    Just Ride
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    YES!!!!!! Golf is dumb!!!!

  4. #4
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,888
    Yep. Pretty much threw my bag of clubs into a back corner of my shed once I made cycling a lifestyle. That was 6 years ago.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    147

    Re: Is Cycling/Mt Biking replacing golf as far as outdoor activities goes..

    Been mtb my wholr life but just started learning golf. Always said id pick it up when i got old and well i go 30 this week!

    Anyway im loving golf but i have to say cycling and mtb is as good for business. Made more connections on the bike than the golf course so i think its replacing golf in that aspect.

    We have a shut down course near me and its one of the funnest placest to ride ever! Natural step downs and lips everywhere. All the traps are grown over and make awesome jumps, best of both worlds!

    Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    backwoods and backwards
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,561
    I'm going to take up golf when I'm too old to do anything fun.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Those are 2007 - 2012 articles, and here's one from August 2014.

    A Game of Golf? Not for Many Millennials - WSJ

    Coincidentally we (my city, our IMBA chapter) have our bike park and some stalled single track on same property as city golf course. While the golf course committee has some struggles, we don't have a mountain bike community writing checks and giving time for their sport in the same way they do their gear.

    With luck stalled single track expansion be behind us soon and awesome terrain too steep and deep for the golf course will be developed.

    It's nice to have pump track, jump line a little single track and skills building features where the club house serves local beer.

    Middleton Bike Park
    Middleton Bike Park Pump Track Mountain Bike Trail, Middleton, WI
    Pleasant View Trail Mountain Bike Trail, Middleton, WI

    I wouldn't be too quick to say golf is dead, just not in the growth cycle it had. Road biking would sooner be the new golf than MTB riding.

  8. #8
    speed freak
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    52
    I actually love golf, been back into it hardcore for the past year or so. Also, love biking, mostly for the adrenaline, but also for the same reasons... to be out in the nature and enjoy the good weather.
    '06 Test Bike Blue Specalized FSRxc Pro
    '95 Violet Pearl Cannondale Killer-V 900
    WTB '97 Tangerine Cannondale Killer-V 900

  9. #9
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,053
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ftabove View Post
    I actually love golf.... to be out in the [engineered and controlled] nature.
    Fixed
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,249
    What is golf?

  11. #11
    CDK
    CDK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    412
    Golf is humorously expensive for what it is. I never understood why people spend so much to play it..
    Riding a mountain bike (or any bike) is relatively cheap after the cost of the bike itself and is wayy more fun and exciting

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    179
    Playing golf is great for if you just want a nice, relaxing day to goof around with some friends. Not all of my friends like cycling, but most will at least play a round of golf for ****s and giggles. A game of "Best Ball" even means that you don't have to have any semblance of skill to enjoy playing, too. A $300 set of Walmart clubs is fine for me, and difference in cost of even a medium range bike means I could take those cheapo clubs to an 18 hole about 300 times, too.

  13. #13
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,427
    How did the golf industry end up dying? Some thought that retired Baby Boomers would hit the links was part of it. But I think a big culprit had something to do with real estate market. Developers can sell houses for far more money if they back onto a golf course and the fancier the golf course, the bigger the premium. But not everyone who wants to live next to a golf course plays golf—so many courses sit relatively empty.

    Some operators have cut back on watering and maintenance, allowing courses to exist in a more “natural” state. Others are grasping for new ways to sell to an audience, experimenting with faster-to-play courses and pay-as-you-go pricing. One course in B.C. is using eight-inch cups on the greens to make putting easier, while others propose going as big as 15 inches, roughly the size of a large pizza. One course is combining soccer and golf to appeal to kids who would prefer to kick a ball



    Why Canadian golf is dying


    I think a good compromise is mini-putt. Tiny courses low maintenance and a money maker... RIP golf
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,328
    I'm also thinking I'll pick up golf when I'm older. 47 now, and still a few decades away from it with any luck.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  15. #15
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,427
    Here's Robin Williams impression about golf RIP

    NSFW... funny as heck




    BTW Robin Williams was an avid cyclist
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,112
    RIP Robin, gonna miss ya.

    For me it's not like I'm giving up on golf but we spend so much on other things (like keeping the whole family properly geared up for mt biking) that there isn't much left for things like golf or skiing. For both of those sports it's the cost to do it after the gear purchase that is keeping us away.

  17. #17
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,050
    In 2006 I quit my golf league to ride more. I've played once this year. I've ridden a lot more than that.

    In NE Ohio there are more golf courses than most anywhere else (it's true - even with our terrible weather). Some of the nicest ones, with housing, have closed. One has been purchased by the local park system. Another may also be developed as a park. Others have been developed for housing. The rates have come way down (we played for $1/hole last Friday, with a cart). I AM hoping that MTBing literally replaces golf and they open some of that terrain as a bike park.

    Golfing is where I got the idea of enduro racing a long time ago: timing each hole as riders ripped through the swooping terrain (my local home course has some awesome elevation, rocks, and drops!). I started a thread somewhere (maybe not here) called "Golf Course Racing". I couldn't seem to sell the idea at the time, and timing seemed to be the biggest issue, but now look how popular enduro is.

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zomby Woof (MCM700)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    853
    I never played golf anyway. It's too slow and boring. Not to mention you have to join a club and pay expensive fees. It doesn't cost anything to ride my bike. Of course you can spend a lot on a bike. But you don't have to pay to use it. And you can ride it around straight from home and don't neccessarily require a special place to ride. Except we need to take our mountain bikes to trails.

  19. #19
    Wanna Ride Bikes?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    390
    I'm 62 and have never had any interest in golf. It's hard enough trying to find the time for everything else I want to do, never mind a day-long game of sticks-n-balls.
    Lots of my friends play, but have no interest in bikes, I guess it's too hard. Go figure.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

  20. #20
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,441
    Keep all the stuffed shirts on the golf courses and off the bike trails.
    I like turtles

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    244
    I like biking, snowboarding and golfing with an equal passion.

    I'm fiscally screwed!

    I'll be the dead old guy who leaves nothing behind for his kids except a gear locker.

  22. #22
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    18,132
    I needed a PE credit in college and took golf. It was a fairly quiet and soothing thing to do, just whacking balls at the range for a little while.

    But actually going out on a real course? Screw that. First time out on a "public" course and the others golfers were inconsiderate ***** to me. That was about the same time I was just getting into mtb riding. Haven't looked back. I haven't touched a golf club since.

  23. #23
    CDK
    CDK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    412
    That has been my experience with golfers.. Many years ago I worked on a golf course and prob 80% of the golfers were total arrogant *****.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,559
    It's funny to think there are folks out there that actually think it's a serious form of exercise...

    I will say that being fit helps your golf game.... But playing golf won't make you fit...

  25. #25
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,441
    My take on golf... Anything you can do with a cigarette in your mouth is not a sport.

    This drives my mom crazy because she's a lifelong avid golfer.
    I like turtles

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,253
    I still play golf from time to time. I like it but it's not cycling, so I guess I could take it or leave it. Unfortunately I gave up tennis for my bike(s). I still like tennis, but never take the time to play anymore.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,867
    I hope not, and I'll admit it's for selfish reasons. I'd hope that more people would mean more trails, but how much empty real estate is there really? Would existing trail systems become toned down and flattened to be made more accessible and "safe"?

    On the flip side, more people could mean a stronger push towards building trails, bike parks, and pump tracks. Wherever there is a large group of people with the same hobby, there's a hundred opportunities to capitalize on it. Maybe instead of golf memberships there'd be a lot more bike park memberships with tons of features, obstacles, pump tracks, and miles of single track.
    "Got everything you need?"

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    My take on golf... Anything you can do with a cigarette in your mouth is not a sport.

    This drives my mom crazy because she's a lifelong avid golfer.
    By that logic, cycling must not be a sport either, because I see dudes ripping trails with smokes all the time. Hell, I watched a guy ride past my rest area with a freakin' corn cob pipe one time.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261
    i think pumptracks have to be the next evolution to grow interest even before trails just because of accessibility. turn golf courses into pumptracks!
    Is Cycling/Mt Biking replacing golf as far as outdoor activities goes..-pumptrack2.jpg

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    i think pumptracks have to be the next evolution to grow interest even before trails just because of accessibility. turn golf courses into pumptracks!
    I completely agree. I've been trying to get my local trail stewards interested in making pump tracks in the area. So far none of them have done anything.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,261
    ^hopefully will be getting dialogue started with local city parks people as well. don't give up! pumptracks are the best teaching tools for new riders. anything from groms on bmx to adults discovering mtbs.

  32. #32
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by IFallDown View Post
    YES!!!!!! Golf is dumb!!!!
    What make you say that? I thought it was awesome. That's the main reason I went back to play this January, preparing my game for my 4 month old girl. It might not be as exciting as mountain bike but I don't think it's dumb. Why do you think it's dumb?

    Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    Golf is humorously expensive for what it is. I never understood why people spend so much to play it..
    Riding a mountain bike (or any bike) is relatively cheap after the cost of the bike itself and is wayy more fun and exciting
    Lord knows I own a few bikes, and more sets of golf clubs but add all of my clubs cost together is not even equal to one of my bike. It cost me $10-15 each time I go ride on gas alone on the weekend.

    It's a sport like everything else, it cost money to participate. It's definitely the cheaper than biking, shooting, bowling, diving(sky and scuba), even cheaper than basket balls(do you know how much them shoes cost), gokart, etc. If you compare golf with riding fixie then I get it.

    To those who say you'll pick up the game later, do it when you can. I'm on golf forums and many new members to the sport said practically the same thing, they wish they started earlier. I started young enough that after 10 years I could pick up the game and work my way back in relatively short time.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    i think pumptracks have to be the next evolution to grow interest even before trails just because of accessibility. turn golf courses into pumptracks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pumptrack2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	915256
    There you go. Pump track, jump line, skills area & TTFs sharing same club house as the golfers.

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...15df33ca438751

    Quote Originally Posted by Petti the Yeti View Post
    I completely agree. I've been trying to get my local trail stewards interested in making pump tracks in the area. So far none of them have done anything.
    Tip: You have to do it yourself and be working with land managers.

  34. #34
    CDK
    CDK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post


    Lord knows I own a few bikes, and more sets of golf clubs but add all of my clubs cost together is not even equal to one of my bike. It cost me $10-15 each time I go ride on gas alone on the weekend.

    It's a sport like everything else, it cost money to participate. It's definitely the cheaper than biking, shooting, bowling, diving(sky and scuba), even cheaper than basket balls(do you know how much them shoes cost), gokart, etc. If you compare golf with riding fixie then I get it.

    To those who say you'll pick up the game later, do it when you can. I'm on golf forums and many new members to the sport said practically the same thing, they wish they started earlier. I started young enough that after 10 years I could pick up the game and work my way back in relatively short time.
    So my logic is based on a convo with an old man avid golfer that I had last week.
    We were talking about the new 15in holes that some courses are doing here and how ridiculous they are and how it just needs to be more affordable.
    He said that a good set of clubs costs $1500. (Which is right around the cost of a pretty decent mtn bike) And that this time of year in the Phoenix area maybe $40-$50 for 18 holes. That same course from Oct-April/Mayish will be at leased double that in cost. (this was for a normal nothing special course)

    Me: I want the new 2015 Santa Cruz Chameleon R build. Its far from entry level and costs $2400. I will ride it 3 miles to the trails (which are free) and will keep it for probably 10 years =Way better value in my world

  35. #35
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    So my logic is based on a convo with an old man avid golfer that I had last week.
    We were talking about the new 15in holes that some courses are doing here and how ridiculous they are and how it just needs to be more affordable.
    He said that a good set of clubs costs $1500. (Which is right around the cost of a pretty decent mtn bike) And that this time of year in the Phoenix area maybe $40-$50 for 18 holes. That same course from Oct-April/Mayish will be at leased double that in cost. (this was for a normal nothing special course)

    Me: I want the new 2015 Santa Cruz Chameleon R build. Its far from entry level and costs $2400. I will ride it 3 miles to the trails (which are free) and will keep it for probably 10 years =Way better value in my world
    I guess if you ride to the trail you can't beat the high labor and free $$$, sadly I don't live that close to the trail. The nearest trail to me is about 8-9 miles and I may have to ride thru questionable streets.

    As for the cost of participation and equipments well, it's like any other sports, if you know what's good then you can get it cheap. I'm not talking eBay or CL, I'm talking reputable online store, or even manufacture pre-owned website.

    I can pick up, which I did pick up a last year top shelf models clubs fill my set for less than $400, it would have cost $2000 retail.

    A $40-50 round cost 20% less early in the morning and 50%or more less mid to late afternoon, so if you are on the budget and still want to play there are solutions, not to mention there are all kinds of online promotion you can just grab that would give you more than 50% off the green fee even on expensive courses($150+ per round)

    I live 10 mins from my club and I can play and practice anytime I want for a fix price per month, what's not to like. Like cyclicious posted article, golf is dying the price is coming down like crazy. I'm not trying to convince you to give up biking and start golfing but it's not as expensive as you think.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    268
    Complete no-brainer.

    - Cycling is way cheaper. You can get a bike from the police auction.
    - Cycling is good for your health and you can take it as extreme as you want it.
    - It isn't even bad for the environment unless you absolutely want it to be.
    - It's a sport and a hobby. Lots of folks like working on their bikes: cleaning, polishing, fixing.
    - You can cycle anywhere. You need a course or a warehouse to play golf.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

  37. #37
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,704
    Why, again, is mountain biking being mentioned in the same breath as golf?

  38. #38
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    Complete no-brainer.

    - Cycling is way cheaper. You can get a bike from the police auction.
    Stop, stop! there, You've already won with that one I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! What a come back.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shining_trapezoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    222
    Saying mountain biking is the next golf sounds really weird to me just cuz they're so completely different. Mountain biking is awesome, exhilarating, potentially dangerous and great exercise. In fact, almost any kind of cycling is like that. Golf is none of those things. I'll admit, I'm totally biased. I've always hated golf. I hate golf courses. I think they're a gigantic waste of land and resources. Trails require conservation, cooperation and sharing with other types of users (walkers, joggers, horses, dogs etc.). The best trails IMO are just skinny little paths out in the wilderness. Golf courses are the opposite of that. Maybe mountain biking could be compared to golf in the sense that there is always that part of the "scene" that's exclusive and expensive and there are guys on $5000 downhill bikes that pay for lift passes to use them, but that's not the first thing I think of when I think of mountain biking.
    IDK. F*ck golf. That's what I think.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: icecreamjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I'm also thinking I'll pick up golf when I'm older. 47 now, and still a few decades away from it with any luck.
    Bah, screw golf, I'm gonna take up fishing.

  41. #41
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    Saying mountain biking is the next golf sounds really weird to me just cuz they're so completely different. Mountain biking is awesome, exhilarating, potentially dangerous and great exercise. In fact, almost any kind of cycling is like that. Golf is none of those things. I'll admit, I'm totally biased. I've always hated golf. I hate golf courses. I think they're a gigantic waste of land and resources. Trails require conservation, cooperation and sharing with other types of users (walkers, joggers, horses, dogs etc.). The best trails IMO are just skinny little paths out in the wilderness. Golf courses are the opposite of that. Maybe mountain biking could be compared to golf in the sense that there is always that part of the "scene" that's exclusive and expensive and there are guys on $5000 downhill bikes that pay for lift passes to use them, but that's not the first thing I think of when I think of mountain biking.
    IDK. F*ck golf. That's what I think.
    Not your finest moment there I guess.

    Golf is like none of the things you have mentioned about cycling.

    It's a the game of honor and pride, it's the only sport that the players pros and amateurs can call penalty on themselves, the practice that's still going today. It's the game that you can enjoy with your parents and your kids at the same time and still be competitive. It's been called by many the greatest game ever, why do you think that is?

    Here's is the similarity between the two sports, both requires you to try hard not to try hard, stay relax is the key. Both utilize visualization, in the nutshell it using your skills to perform something you have not precisely done before but thru visualizing how you can do it, you do it.

    Your view of the world outside your front wheel is mind numbingly narrow, I almost feel sad for you. I'll put you in our prayer tonight. C'est la vie.

    Go on I'll let you have the last word.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    312

  43. #43
    CDK
    CDK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    That is sick! I wish I knew about it sooner. I would have been all over this

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,559
    Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    Saying mountain biking is the next golf sounds really weird to me just cuz they're so completely different.
    That's not how I looked at it.. I think there are a lot of folks who just like getting outdoors and away from the house to do some sort of hobby... I know I enjoy getting outside...

    And with obesity being a huge problem in the USA, I would think folks might gravitate towards an activity that would help them lose weight and keep it off..

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,559
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Let me get this straight... I'm going to travel to Sedona to ride on a golf course ?? too ridiculous for words...

  46. #46
    Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,317

    Is Cycling/Mt Biking replacing golf as far as outdoor activities goes..

    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Yep. Pretty much threw my bag of clubs into a back corner of my shed once I made cycling a lifestyle. That was 6 years ago.
    Ha. I did that back in 1994 when I realized that I did not have the time for both golf and mountain biking. I still have the clubs in the attic but haven't used them in 20 years.

  47. #47
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    24,053
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    It's been called by many the greatest game ever, why do you think that is?
    Because the old ultra-conservative people that said that never really did anything exhilarating or adventurous in their life?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  48. #48
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Because the old ultra-conservative people that said that never really did anything exhilarating or adventurous in their life?
    Ha ha, true that, though best golfer of all time are not the ultra conservative, actually not even on tour, look up Titanic Thompson, the greatest proposition gambler.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shining_trapezoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Not your finest moment there I guess.


    Golf is like none of the things you have mentioned about cycling.


    It's a the game of honor and pride, it's the only sport that the players pros and amateurs can call penalty on themselves, the practice that's still going today. It's the game that you can enjoy with your parents and your kids at the same time and still be competitive. It's been called by many the greatest game ever, why do you think that is?


    Here's is the similarity between the two sports, both requires you to try hard not to try hard, stay relax is the key. Both utilize visualization, in the nutshell it using your skills to perform something you have not precisely done before but thru visualizing how you can do it, you do it.


    Your view of the world outside your front wheel is mind numbingly narrow, I almost feel sad for you. I'll put you in our prayer tonight. C'est la vie.


    Go on I'll let you have the last word.

    Oh take your condescending BS and shove it. And golf is not a sport. It's a game.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,157
    Wait....are we talking about bike polo?

    That's seems fun.

    Or at least the hippies on clunkers I saw doing it looked like they were having fun.

    Then again they also seemed quite baked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain biking's popularity (the anti-golf?)..
    By Roanoke4 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-01-2014, 07:01 AM
  2. Golf is out, biking is in
    By heyyall in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 01:54 PM
  3. Outdoor Cycling During 2012 - 2013 Peak Solar Activity ?
    By asw7576 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 07:19 AM
  4. Vegas Outdoor Activities - slightly OT
    By extrmtao in forum Nevada
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-27-2011, 07:10 AM
  5. Off topic: SD non-biking activities suggestion please
    By Loll in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 10:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •