Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    Smoking cigarettes is nasty and pointless. Just quit if you really want to all you have to do is decide to stop. Yep its that easy
    Yes, you are absolutely correct, the best way to stop smoking is just stop. I try to reduce quantity, not working til the night I found out that my wife is pregnant, I tossed the pack and have not smoke since.

Disclaimer below:
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spokestoke View Post
    I smoke a pack a day. (Trust me I'd love to quit.) I'm good for about a 10 mile ride with 2k vert. Sprinting on the otherhand, I'm toast.
    Best way is just stop. I vape e-cig now, believe me it works. I change my smoking habit when I start vaping, now I do it so little it's almost like only smoking one a day. PM me if you have any question.

I remember posting about mountain bike riding on some golf forum, most people have positive respond, and the negative ones are more like time constraint. It's a surprise to me that some here have more negative view of other sport outside mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    [QUOTE=mimi1885;11382964]What make you say that? I thought it was awesome. That's the main reason I went back to play this January, preparing my game for my 4 month old girl. It might not be as exciting as mountain bike but I don't think it's dumb. Why do you think it's dumb?

Because I suck and it makes me look bad. Now having said that am I not allowed my own opinion? I am happy you enjoy it, good for you! then again its your choice.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by IFallDown View Post

Because I suck and it makes me look bad. Now having said that am I not allowed my own opinion? I am happy you enjoy it, good for you! then again its your choice.
    Holly crap! thanks for your honesty. It's brutal.

I didn't do it
    I'm actually surprised at the strong opinions being expressed about golf here. I play golf, albeit less now and only sporadically. Here are some of my thoughts on golf.

It's an outdoor activity, beats sitting on your butt in front of the TV.

You can make it as cheap or expensive as you want. You can get a decent set of entry level clubs for probably around $300.00 new, probably less if you buy used.

You don't have to belong to a club to play. Green fees vary widely but you can go to a municipal course and pay less than $30.00.

At the courses I go to most of the folks are regular joes. Everybody is friendly and courteous. The rate of Dbaggery is no more or no less than what I see on the trail.

Is it a workout in the same way that running or cycling is? No. Does it have to be to be a workout to be a legit outdoor activity? No. However it's a bit more of a physical activity than you might realize. We always walk the course and after 9 holes you've walked between 1.5 and 3 or more miles, depending on yardage. Since when is that a bad thing?

Most important, it's fun. Why bust on people who are merely going outside to enjoy themselves, doing something they like?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    We always walk the course and after 9 holes you've walked between 1.5 and 3 or more miles, depending on yardage. Since when is that a bad thing?
    I thought walking was frowned upon or not allowed... and even if it was allowed, I think most golfers would use a cart..
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    I thought walking was frowned upon or not allowed... and even if it was allowed, I think most golfers would use a cart..
    LOL, it not frowned upon. We love to walk, we can use push cart or some of us use drones to carry the clubs around and when caddies are not available to carry us around.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    It depends on where you go. Most country clubs require carts whereas most municipal courses don't (although some do). Other public courses may or may not require carts. I've never experienced an anti walking vibe or pressure to use a cart at those courses that don't require them.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    I always said I would take up golf when I hit 80. Now even that sounds too young.

mtbr member
    I hope airlines start treating bikes like golf equipment when it comes to baggage fees. For some reason golf equipment is exempt from oversize/overweight fees on Alaska Airlines, but not bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I got into golf for a few years and took some lessons. Once I was playing a full 18 for a few years, I realized how much I hate golf after the 9th hole.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I like golf most when I'm back at the clubhouse enjoying a burger and beer and watching the golf babes.

mtbr member
    Went out yesterday with my 25 year old son and played golf for the first time since 1988. Had fun but am not sure if I am ready to pick the game back up again, I figured I have 15 or so years to wait until I am 70 to really start playing. I am more then happy riding 3-5 times and week in the summer and skiing 3-5 time a week in the winter.
    Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    Haha
    I guess i should also say that i have met a bunch of jerk offs on mountain bikes too. Im with you there someone needs to grow up.
    Maybe ill get neg rep and a "golf myself" comment now
    Hey shining_trapezoid, thanks for the neg rep and ****myself, I'd like to buy a vowel, and O. I'll solve the puzzle. Golf myself. Thanks.

Join us anytime when you grow up yeah?

I just don't get when posters start cursing on a forum. 'Grow up' is a start.

I like mtb, road biking, golf, snowboarding and ultimate, but at age 59 I don't play much ultimate, which I prefer. I like mtb best but snowboarding is great and road biking is fun, too.

Golf, for me, requires a lot of time to play and practice. It's more fun when you are in the seventies or eighties rather than triple digits for 18 holes.

Please let me know which of these is a sport.
    Don't post, ride.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie88 View Post
    I like golf most when I'm back at the clubhouse enjoying a burger and beer and watching the golf babes.
    Usually join by these ladies at the club houseIs Cycling/Mt Biking replacing golf as far as outdoor activities goes..-playboy_playmates_golf.jpgIs Cycling/Mt Biking replacing golf as far as outdoor activities goes..-kirsty-gallacher-golf-punk-belly-cap.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Been biking for the past 3 year, I have dropped lbs and reacquired the addiction that I had with running prior to back surgery in 200. Golf had gone by the way side over the past 5 years. Biking has moved into one of my passions right behind surf fishing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Certainly mountain biking was the principal after-work social sports activity when I was working in Santa Cruz a while back, while golf was played by noone. Alas, I could not ride with them as they were far beyond my skill level.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    About 10 years ago, I rode a trail at Tapatio Springs (golf resort and development) west of San Antonio, TX. As I was riding along a section of trail with a 15 or 20 ft drop off on one side, I looked down to see a perfectly coiffed woman in bermuda shorts and polo shirt tapping in a putt on a perfectly manicured green. She was very fit and spending time outdoors, so there is no criticism implied. I just smiled at the different realities.

Apparently a major portion of that Tapatio trail system has fallen to housing development at the resort.

In the past, golf was considered as a critical element of creating bonds among businessmen, so likely there were men out there playing who detested the game, but felt obligated to play. Idle speculation here, but perhaps the advent of computers, email, social media has changed that paradigm or simply a different generation of businessmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    I always said I would take up golf when I hit 80. Now even that sounds too young.
    Yah, an ex boyfriend (60+ at the time and who introduced me to mtn biking) claimed he'd absolutely definitely take up golf when he hit 90.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Agreed. I used to play golf not so much because I really liked it. On the contrary I thought it was boring mostly. But it was good for business.

Now I mountain bike the local single track about 5 days a week and don't golf at all. I don't see myself going back to golf anytime soon. Those guys are snobs anyway, mostly (and for what reason I'll never be able to guess). Never met a snobby mountain biker. They either don't have anything to say or they're very friendly. Not much in between has been my experience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by philip5296 View Post
    Those guys are snobs anyway, mostly (and for what reason I'll never be able to guess). Never met a snobby mountain biker. They either don't have anything to say or they're very friendly. Not much in between has been my experience.
    First of all that is a huge blanket statement to say those guys are snobs. I am amazed. I have met plenty of snobby mountain bikers as well as golfers but to use a blanket statement and refer to all golfers as snobs is irresponsible.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    LOL! You used a blanket statement to snub my blanket statement? "...plenty of snobby mountain bikers..."

Who cares bro. This is just a chat forum and you know what they say about opinions; mine included. Go ride your bike. (-:

Anyway the point I was interested in making is that mountain biking appears to be much less "elitist" than golf and certainly more inclusive of a wider spectrum of society. I enjoy this aspect of the sport and have had many positive interactions with fellow enthusiasts.

Furthermore, speaking to the string topic; I used to play golf. Now I ride a bicycle. That is all. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Also, in the advertising world, golf used to be a main "go to" image to represent active older adults. I've noticed now that advertising uses active older adults riding bikes, usually some kind of hybrid or cruiser, but at least they are on bikes and turning the cranks. They also usually look like they have been dosed with some kind of happy pill (Valium and speed maybe?) for the photo shoot, but that's a whole different story.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Oh come on guys, mountain biking is still a small niche sport, especially compared to something like golf. No you want to know what is going to replace golf? The big and growing sport of Curling! There are curling clubs cropping up and Monday morning around the water cooler at work its clear everyone is bragging about their stone placement in the last game they played that weekend.

Sure you have to join a club like in golf but its not that expensive, there is no real equipment cost as the stones belong to the club. The land impact is minimal since its played inside. And you want to get some exercise? Try sweeping harder!

Yep, definitely Curling is going to be the nail in Golf's coffin! Mountain biking is fun and all, but its really not all that mainstream. Tell the average person you mountain bike and they will ask if you have been out to rail trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hurry hard to a bonspiel, my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWilliams View Post
    Oh come on guys, mountain biking is still a small niche sport, especially compared to something like golf. No you want to know what is going to replace golf? The big and growing sport of Curling! There are curling clubs cropping up and Monday morning around the water cooler at work its clear everyone is bragging about their stone placement in the last game they played that weekend.

Sure you have to join a club like in golf but its not that expensive, there is no real equipment cost as the stones belong to the club. The land impact is minimal since its played inside. And you want to get some exercise? Try sweeping harder!

Yep, definitely Curling is going to be the nail in Golf's coffin! Mountain biking is fun and all, but its really not all that mainstream. Tell the average person you mountain bike and they will ask if you have been out to rail trail.

mtbr member
    Golf's okay, but mountain biking is better, at least for me. I am kind of retired from golf. It was fun for a while, but it got frustrating in that as much as I played, my expectations, which I guess were too high, always exceeded my abilities.

As for attitudes, I probably saw more on the course than the trails. Maybe this was fueled by alcohol? Too many times while golfing I remember having some obnoxious group breathing down our necks and getting huffy on the links because we were playing too slow, even though there was usually a group in front of us five putting and lining up all of their putts, even 1-foot gimmes. To create distance from these clowns we would usually wave them through, then laugh as they crumbled at the tee box with an assortment of slices out of bounds and 100 yard dribblers barely getting by the ladies tee. There are a lot of really bad golfers out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Maybe if I had started golfing at 9yo so that I would have a well honed and consistent swing I would have enjoyed it far more than I did when I tried to learn in my 30's. I found it to be extraordinarily frustrating to be any "good" at golf.

I lived for 4 years on a 27 hole course that I never played, while a very nice set of Calloway clubs gathered dust.
    I finally sold the clubs and used the money to help fund my first mountain bike.
    Haven't looked back since...
    09 Canfield Brothers - The One
    08 Cannondale Scalpel - SoBe Team Carbon frame

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast