Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 102
  1. #51
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,396
    I bet it really pisses off the golf die-hards how popular frisbee golf has gotten.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  2. #52
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    Are you kidding, I'm elated! less crowded.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    22
    golfing sucks how wants to waste their time playing golf when you could ride mountain bikes you got to risk it to get the bisket shure don't do that playing golf

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    i think pumptracks have to be the next evolution to grow interest even before trails just because of accessibility. turn golf courses into pumptracks!
    Attachment 915256
    That is beautiful art. Where is that?

  5. #55
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    Hey shining_trapezoid, thanks for the neg rep and ****myself, I'd like to buy a vowel, and O. I'll solve the puzzle. Golf myself. Thanks.

    Join us anytime when you grow up yeah?

  6. #56
    CDK
    CDK is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Hey shining_trapezoid, thanks for the neg rep and ****myself, I'd like to buy a vowel, and O. I'll solve the puzzle. Golf myself. Thanks.

    Join us anytime when you grow up yeah?
    Haha
    I guess i should also say that i have met a bunch of jerk offs on mountain bikes too. Im with you there someone needs to grow up.
    Maybe ill get neg rep and a "golf myself" comment now

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    22
    and maybe ill never golf and never think about it personal preference !!

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shining_trapezoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Hey shining_trapezoid, thanks for the neg rep and ****myself, I'd like to buy a vowel, and O. I'll solve the puzzle. Golf myself. Thanks.

    Join us anytime when you grow up yeah?
    I don't need to grow up any more than you do with your condescending self-righteous attitude. You "feel sorry for" me and you're gonna pray for me cuz I don't like golf? What the f*ck ever.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 802spokestoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    198
    I think people like golf because it isn't very physically taxing and it gives them something to strive for (although it usually ends up being a bad tan and too many beers). I should know, I worked one summer at a golf course where I could also play for free. It took me the entire next summer to ride off the 20 pounds I put on being lazy and eating pizza afterwards because we were too sun-baked to do anything else. I don't see many of the people I interacted with there throwing away the clubs and buying a bike, ymmv. Thanks for the Robin Williams video! Too bad about that guy. Addiction/mental illness is f'd up. "Even the alligators are like, ahole!" HA HA HA! I know bikers like that too, though


  10. #60
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011

    Is Cycling/Mt Biking replacing golf as far as outdoor activities goes..

    Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    I don't need to grow up any more than you do with your condescending self-righteous attitude. You "feel sorry for" me and you're gonna pray for me cuz I don't like golf? What the f*ck ever.
    If you think I'd do that because you don't play golf then you don't need a prayer, you need to stay in school. Well don't do drugs and please do us all a favor don't breed.

    Not your finest day. No no.


    Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shining_trapezoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    If you think I'd do that because you don't play golf then you don't need a prayer, you need to stay in school. Well don't do drugs and please do us all a favor don't breed.

    Not your finest day. No no.


    Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD
    That made zero sense.

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Tip: You have to do it yourself and be working with land managers.
    The main problem my stewards have with the pump track idea is that 1: "It won't be popular here" and 2: "We don't have enough room on our land grant to expand with something like that"

    I would be more than willing to dig a pump track, but finding a spot where it wouldn't be bulldozed within the week is an issue in my town..

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    385
    Wow and I thought cyclist were cool and open minded. Man was I wrong. Close minded and arrogant is how I would describe a lot of the people on this thread.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 802spokestoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    198
    Why are mountain bikers all of a sudden cyclists? Yea, yea, in theory we ride bikes. Buuuut...I think there are many destinctions within the genres. You can wear many hats, but some people in the mountain bike community choose to avoid spandex, don't like dodging traffic, and enjoy a playful, if not tastless jab from time to time at the expense of golf and road riding. Put us in jail, I guess.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    Oh take your condescending BS and shove it. And golf is not a sport. It's a game.
    Golf is not a sport? Give me a break. You are obviously a closed minded idiot. I golf, cycle, snow ski, Wake surf, Wake board, grouse hunt, fish and play hockey. I wouldn't say any of these are more sports than the other. However since you aren't as well rounded you can go on saying things that are just stupid. And I'll keep playing golf at my country club, riding my Ibis Ripley, skiing Utah 3 times a year, Wake surfing behind my 2013 Malibu Wakesetter MXZ 24, grouse hunt behind my 2 setters, fish off my Whaler Outrage and play hockey with my buds.

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by shredeveryday View Post
    golfing sucks how wants to waste their time playing golf when you could ride mountain bikes you got to risk it to get the bisket shure don't do that playing golf
    Who is how?

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 802spokestoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    198
    Your first two posts are rather contradicting.

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    5
    I know this won't stop the debate or whatever, but as someone who plays golf and now mountain bikes as well. I can see where people take enjoyment from both. For different reasons. You can say that playing golf isn't as physically demanding as mountain biking, and for 99% of cases you would be correct, but does that make it any less enjoyable for the people that find happiness in it, no.. I play golf when I need a nice relaxing day of outdoor enjoyment, and when I feel like pushing myself and getting a good workout as well as the enjoyment, I bike. Or let something else decide, if I want to drink beer while I'm out, I golf. No beer, bike. Got 4 hours of daylight left, golf. Only two hours until dark, bike.. Why does it have to be a one or the other thing..? I saw someone brought up the point of land use, and I may be alone on this, but my area has no shortage of trails to ride or golf course to play. So I don't see how one would benefit from the removal of the other. In fact my local golf course is literally a 60 second drive from the trailhead of my favorite trail, but I seriously doubt the closing of the golf course would draw any new riders or attention to the trail. And the comments on the money required to golf vs bike. It all depends on what you WANT to spend, just as I'm sure you all know that you don't have to buy a $5k bike to downhill, you don't have to have a $2000 set of clubs to play, I'm a broke college student and I have the time and money to golf and ride a couple times a week each.

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shining_trapezoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    Golf is not a sport? Give me a break. You are obviously a closed minded idiot. I golf, cycle, snow ski, Wake surf, Wake board, grouse hunt, fish and play hockey. I wouldn't say any of these are more sports than the other. However since you aren't as well rounded you can go on saying things that are just stupid. And I'll keep playing golf at my country club, riding my Ibis Ripley, skiing Utah 3 times a year, Wake surfing behind my 2013 Malibu Wakesetter MXZ 24, grouse hunt behind my 2 setters, fish off my Whaler Outrage and play hockey with my buds.
    You are obviously a complete douche bag. You don't know anything about me or how "well rounded" I am. You can go on bragging about how many expensive toys you have but it doesn't make you any better than anybody else and it doesn't make golf a sport.

    As somebody already said, if you can do it with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth, it's not a sport. A lot of golfers are total fat-as$es. Swinging a club and sitting in a cart while getting drunk is just sort of a weird activity that I'm sure some people like doing. I have just as much of a right to dislike it as you do to like it.

    I think it's pretty funny how many people get defensive and get their panties in a bunch when somebody says they don't like golf. If golf is a sport, then so is croquet, pool/billiards, chess, Tetris...

  20. #70
    Trailhead Poseur
    Reputation: jjaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Petti the Yeti View Post
    By that logic, cycling must not be a sport either, because I see dudes ripping trails with smokes all the time.
    Is Cycling/Mt Biking replacing golf as far as outdoor activities goes..-tumblr_lfig6qxcx91qga534o1_500.jpg
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 802spokestoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    198
    I smoke a pack a day. (Trust me I'd love to quit.) I'm good for about a 10 mile ride with 2k vert. Sprinting on the otherhand, I'm toast.

  22. #72
    CDK
    CDK is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    175
    Smoking cigarettes is nasty and pointless. Just quit if you really want to all you have to do is decide to stop. Yep its that easy

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zomby Woof (MCM700)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    329
    Although I never played golf and find it boring, I did like the movie "Caddyshack". It had some real good laughs and didn't require you to be a golfer to enjoy it. But I never bothered with "Tin Cup".

  24. #74
    EMBA Member
    Reputation: Ladmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,489
    I think golf has a couple things working against it. Many people think it costs too much money for what you get out of it, and it takes a large chunk of your day to participate in. With all the competition for people's limited disposable income and time, this activity doesn't measure up in many people's minds.

    Mountain biking, on the other hand, is a growing activity because people see it as a good value relative to cost and time commitment.

    It isn't whether golf costs more or less than other activities, and it isn't whether golf takes more or less time than other activities. It is that the cost and time commitment of participating in golf isn't winning out with the public relative to other activities that complete for people's money and time.

  25. #75
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,508
    We (the MTB contingency and the park managers) had a great argument about the "impact" of MTB trails. They were asking about ongoing maintenance (valid question), but then someone on their side began ignorantly citing "habitat fragmentation", "erosion", and "sediment loading" baloney where it did not apply.
    Then we asked to compare MTB trail construction, impact, and maintenance to all the golf courses they managed.
    ...and what those maintenance costs (hours, equipment, manpower, materials) were.
    ...and what was their impact in herbicides and pesticides released into the environment.
    ...and what is their actual utilization in users per acre of impact area.

    We have a LOT more trails these days.
    I'm waiting for the fiscal reality to set in, at which time someone will cut the budget and one their golf courses will be allowed to return to its natural state and no longer be a golf course. Then maybe it will have a bike trail.

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain biking's popularity (the anti-golf?)..
    By Roanoke4 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-01-2014, 07:01 AM
  2. Golf is out, biking is in
    By heyyall in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 01:54 PM
  3. Outdoor Cycling During 2012 - 2013 Peak Solar Activity ?
    By asw7576 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 07:19 AM
  4. Vegas Outdoor Activities - slightly OT
    By extrmtao in forum Nevada
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-27-2011, 07:10 AM
  5. Off topic: SD non-biking activities suggestion please
    By Loll in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 10:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •