Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 102
  1. #26
    Readin & Postin since '02
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    513
    I still play golf from time to time. I like it but it's not cycling, so I guess I could take it or leave it. Unfortunately I gave up tennis for my bike(s). I still like tennis, but never take the time to play anymore.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,835
    I hope not, and I'll admit it's for selfish reasons. I'd hope that more people would mean more trails, but how much empty real estate is there really? Would existing trail systems become toned down and flattened to be made more accessible and "safe"?

    On the flip side, more people could mean a stronger push towards building trails, bike parks, and pump tracks. Wherever there is a large group of people with the same hobby, there's a hundred opportunities to capitalize on it. Maybe instead of golf memberships there'd be a lot more bike park memberships with tons of features, obstacles, pump tracks, and miles of single track.
    "Got everything you need?"

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    My take on golf... Anything you can do with a cigarette in your mouth is not a sport.

    This drives my mom crazy because she's a lifelong avid golfer.
    By that logic, cycling must not be a sport either, because I see dudes ripping trails with smokes all the time. Hell, I watched a guy ride past my rest area with a freakin' corn cob pipe one time.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,996
    i think pumptracks have to be the next evolution to grow interest even before trails just because of accessibility. turn golf courses into pumptracks!
    Is Cycling/Mt Biking replacing golf as far as outdoor activities goes..-pumptrack2.jpg
    always face the herd

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    i think pumptracks have to be the next evolution to grow interest even before trails just because of accessibility. turn golf courses into pumptracks!
    I completely agree. I've been trying to get my local trail stewards interested in making pump tracks in the area. So far none of them have done anything.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,996
    ^hopefully will be getting dialogue started with local city parks people as well. don't give up! pumptracks are the best teaching tools for new riders. anything from groms on bmx to adults discovering mtbs.
    always face the herd

  7. #32
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    Quote Originally Posted by IFallDown View Post
    YES!!!!!! Golf is dumb!!!!
    What make you say that? I thought it was awesome. That's the main reason I went back to play this January, preparing my game for my 4 month old girl. It might not be as exciting as mountain bike but I don't think it's dumb. Why do you think it's dumb?

    Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    Golf is humorously expensive for what it is. I never understood why people spend so much to play it..
    Riding a mountain bike (or any bike) is relatively cheap after the cost of the bike itself and is wayy more fun and exciting
    Lord knows I own a few bikes, and more sets of golf clubs but add all of my clubs cost together is not even equal to one of my bike. It cost me $10-15 each time I go ride on gas alone on the weekend.

    It's a sport like everything else, it cost money to participate. It's definitely the cheaper than biking, shooting, bowling, diving(sky and scuba), even cheaper than basket balls(do you know how much them shoes cost), gokart, etc. If you compare golf with riding fixie then I get it.

    To those who say you'll pick up the game later, do it when you can. I'm on golf forums and many new members to the sport said practically the same thing, they wish they started earlier. I started young enough that after 10 years I could pick up the game and work my way back in relatively short time.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,949
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    i think pumptracks have to be the next evolution to grow interest even before trails just because of accessibility. turn golf courses into pumptracks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pumptrack2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	915256
    There you go. Pump track, jump line, skills area & TTFs sharing same club house as the golfers.

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...15df33ca438751

    Quote Originally Posted by Petti the Yeti View Post
    I completely agree. I've been trying to get my local trail stewards interested in making pump tracks in the area. So far none of them have done anything.
    Tip: You have to do it yourself and be working with land managers.

  9. #34
    CDK
    CDK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post


    Lord knows I own a few bikes, and more sets of golf clubs but add all of my clubs cost together is not even equal to one of my bike. It cost me $10-15 each time I go ride on gas alone on the weekend.

    It's a sport like everything else, it cost money to participate. It's definitely the cheaper than biking, shooting, bowling, diving(sky and scuba), even cheaper than basket balls(do you know how much them shoes cost), gokart, etc. If you compare golf with riding fixie then I get it.

    To those who say you'll pick up the game later, do it when you can. I'm on golf forums and many new members to the sport said practically the same thing, they wish they started earlier. I started young enough that after 10 years I could pick up the game and work my way back in relatively short time.
    So my logic is based on a convo with an old man avid golfer that I had last week.
    We were talking about the new 15in holes that some courses are doing here and how ridiculous they are and how it just needs to be more affordable.
    He said that a good set of clubs costs $1500. (Which is right around the cost of a pretty decent mtn bike) And that this time of year in the Phoenix area maybe $40-$50 for 18 holes. That same course from Oct-April/Mayish will be at leased double that in cost. (this was for a normal nothing special course)

    Me: I want the new 2015 Santa Cruz Chameleon R build. Its far from entry level and costs $2400. I will ride it 3 miles to the trails (which are free) and will keep it for probably 10 years =Way better value in my world

  10. #35
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    So my logic is based on a convo with an old man avid golfer that I had last week.
    We were talking about the new 15in holes that some courses are doing here and how ridiculous they are and how it just needs to be more affordable.
    He said that a good set of clubs costs $1500. (Which is right around the cost of a pretty decent mtn bike) And that this time of year in the Phoenix area maybe $40-$50 for 18 holes. That same course from Oct-April/Mayish will be at leased double that in cost. (this was for a normal nothing special course)

    Me: I want the new 2015 Santa Cruz Chameleon R build. Its far from entry level and costs $2400. I will ride it 3 miles to the trails (which are free) and will keep it for probably 10 years =Way better value in my world
    I guess if you ride to the trail you can't beat the high labor and free $$$, sadly I don't live that close to the trail. The nearest trail to me is about 8-9 miles and I may have to ride thru questionable streets.

    As for the cost of participation and equipments well, it's like any other sports, if you know what's good then you can get it cheap. I'm not talking eBay or CL, I'm talking reputable online store, or even manufacture pre-owned website.

    I can pick up, which I did pick up a last year top shelf models clubs fill my set for less than $400, it would have cost $2000 retail.

    A $40-50 round cost 20% less early in the morning and 50%or more less mid to late afternoon, so if you are on the budget and still want to play there are solutions, not to mention there are all kinds of online promotion you can just grab that would give you more than 50% off the green fee even on expensive courses($150+ per round)

    I live 10 mins from my club and I can play and practice anytime I want for a fix price per month, what's not to like. Like cyclicious posted article, golf is dying the price is coming down like crazy. I'm not trying to convince you to give up biking and start golfing but it's not as expensive as you think.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    197
    Complete no-brainer.

    - Cycling is way cheaper. You can get a bike from the police auction.
    - Cycling is good for your health and you can take it as extreme as you want it.
    - It isn't even bad for the environment unless you absolutely want it to be.
    - It's a sport and a hobby. Lots of folks like working on their bikes: cleaning, polishing, fixing.
    - You can cycle anywhere. You need a course or a warehouse to play golf.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200

  12. #37
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,602
    Why, again, is mountain biking being mentioned in the same breath as golf?

  13. #38
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    Complete no-brainer.

    - Cycling is way cheaper. You can get a bike from the police auction.
    Stop, stop! there, You've already won with that one I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! What a come back.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shining_trapezoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    236
    Saying mountain biking is the next golf sounds really weird to me just cuz they're so completely different. Mountain biking is awesome, exhilarating, potentially dangerous and great exercise. In fact, almost any kind of cycling is like that. Golf is none of those things. I'll admit, I'm totally biased. I've always hated golf. I hate golf courses. I think they're a gigantic waste of land and resources. Trails require conservation, cooperation and sharing with other types of users (walkers, joggers, horses, dogs etc.). The best trails IMO are just skinny little paths out in the wilderness. Golf courses are the opposite of that. Maybe mountain biking could be compared to golf in the sense that there is always that part of the "scene" that's exclusive and expensive and there are guys on $5000 downhill bikes that pay for lift passes to use them, but that's not the first thing I think of when I think of mountain biking.
    IDK. F*ck golf. That's what I think.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: icecreamjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,129
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I'm also thinking I'll pick up golf when I'm older. 47 now, and still a few decades away from it with any luck.
    Bah, screw golf, I'm gonna take up fishing.

  16. #41
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    Saying mountain biking is the next golf sounds really weird to me just cuz they're so completely different. Mountain biking is awesome, exhilarating, potentially dangerous and great exercise. In fact, almost any kind of cycling is like that. Golf is none of those things. I'll admit, I'm totally biased. I've always hated golf. I hate golf courses. I think they're a gigantic waste of land and resources. Trails require conservation, cooperation and sharing with other types of users (walkers, joggers, horses, dogs etc.). The best trails IMO are just skinny little paths out in the wilderness. Golf courses are the opposite of that. Maybe mountain biking could be compared to golf in the sense that there is always that part of the "scene" that's exclusive and expensive and there are guys on $5000 downhill bikes that pay for lift passes to use them, but that's not the first thing I think of when I think of mountain biking.
    IDK. F*ck golf. That's what I think.
    Not your finest moment there I guess.

    Golf is like none of the things you have mentioned about cycling.

    It's a the game of honor and pride, it's the only sport that the players pros and amateurs can call penalty on themselves, the practice that's still going today. It's the game that you can enjoy with your parents and your kids at the same time and still be competitive. It's been called by many the greatest game ever, why do you think that is?

    Here's is the similarity between the two sports, both requires you to try hard not to try hard, stay relax is the key. Both utilize visualization, in the nutshell it using your skills to perform something you have not precisely done before but thru visualizing how you can do it, you do it.

    Your view of the world outside your front wheel is mind numbingly narrow, I almost feel sad for you. I'll put you in our prayer tonight. C'est la vie.

    Go on I'll let you have the last word.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    169

  18. #43
    CDK
    CDK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    That is sick! I wish I knew about it sooner. I would have been all over this

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,723
    Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    Saying mountain biking is the next golf sounds really weird to me just cuz they're so completely different.
    That's not how I looked at it.. I think there are a lot of folks who just like getting outdoors and away from the house to do some sort of hobby... I know I enjoy getting outside...

    And with obesity being a huge problem in the USA, I would think folks might gravitate towards an activity that would help them lose weight and keep it off..
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,723
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Let me get this straight... I'm going to travel to Sedona to ride on a golf course ?? too ridiculous for words...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

  21. #46
    Now older but less slow!
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,712

    Is Cycling/Mt Biking replacing golf as far as outdoor activities goes..

    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Yep. Pretty much threw my bag of clubs into a back corner of my shed once I made cycling a lifestyle. That was 6 years ago.
    Ha. I did that back in 1994 when I realized that I did not have the time for both golf and mountain biking. I still have the clubs in the attic but haven't used them in 20 years.

  22. #47
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,199
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    It's been called by many the greatest game ever, why do you think that is?
    Because the old ultra-conservative people that said that never really did anything exhilarating or adventurous in their life?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  23. #48
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Because the old ultra-conservative people that said that never really did anything exhilarating or adventurous in their life?
    Ha ha, true that, though best golfer of all time are not the ultra conservative, actually not even on tour, look up Titanic Thompson, the greatest proposition gambler.

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shining_trapezoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Not your finest moment there I guess.


    Golf is like none of the things you have mentioned about cycling.


    It's a the game of honor and pride, it's the only sport that the players pros and amateurs can call penalty on themselves, the practice that's still going today. It's the game that you can enjoy with your parents and your kids at the same time and still be competitive. It's been called by many the greatest game ever, why do you think that is?


    Here's is the similarity between the two sports, both requires you to try hard not to try hard, stay relax is the key. Both utilize visualization, in the nutshell it using your skills to perform something you have not precisely done before but thru visualizing how you can do it, you do it.


    Your view of the world outside your front wheel is mind numbingly narrow, I almost feel sad for you. I'll put you in our prayer tonight. C'est la vie.


    Go on I'll let you have the last word.

    Oh take your condescending BS and shove it. And golf is not a sport. It's a game.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    833
    Wait....are we talking about bike polo?

    That's seems fun.

    Or at least the hippies on clunkers I saw doing it looked like they were having fun.

    Then again they also seemed quite baked.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain biking's popularity (the anti-golf?)..
    By Roanoke4 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-01-2014, 08:01 AM
  2. Golf is out, biking is in
    By heyyall in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 02:54 PM
  3. Outdoor Cycling During 2012 - 2013 Peak Solar Activity ?
    By asw7576 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM
  4. Vegas Outdoor Activities - slightly OT
    By extrmtao in forum Nevada
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-27-2011, 08:10 AM
  5. Off topic: SD non-biking activities suggestion please
    By Loll in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •