Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    how heavy are you ??

this is cutting into my passion!

any constructive thoughts?
    thanks much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails this is cutting into my passion!-mri-results0002.jpg  

this is cutting into my passion!-mri-results0001.jpg  

What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My back always feels better when I get to ride. so maybe ride more!
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

how heavy are you ??

Re: this is cutting into my passion!

Quote Originally Posted by JHFWIC View Post
    My back always feels better when I get to ride. so maybe ride more!
    My I have big numbness in my calf/shin. No pain in the back. This isn't something I can just shake off. I wish I could.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

banned
    Jan 2013
    Are you riding a FS?

If you are not, thats your #1 way to still ride but beat your back up less. If you already are? Man.... that sucks bro. When you rehab do core work, stronger abs = stronger back.

mtbr member
    I've had three surgeries on my lower back; the first two were older "cut em open" type surgeries and created problems that were (more or less) resolved by a more recent arthroscopic surgery. I still have some pain and there have been three other serious exacerbations that didn't lead to surgery.

I'm having the most pain free period of my adult life recently. I credit mountain biking for the improvement.

Physical therapy for herniated disks aims to strengthen the band of muscles across your stomach. I found that pushing the mtb up long hills tenses this muscle band and has greatly strengthened it. No, I'm not kidding!

Beyond this, I have no strong advice other than to avoid chiropractors, gravity boots, and other duck noises (in my opinion) and get opinions from several surgeons. The more modern laminectomies are done by arthroscope and leave a lot less collateral damage (scar tissue). Also, I know many more people that had unsatisfactory experiences with spinal fusion operations that ones that came out great. Fusion is one to avoid unless you have to have it.

Don't lift stuff, especially heavy or clumsy stuff - ever! Get help lifting. Don't run, keep your stride short walking and skiing to avoid rotating your hips a lot. Take the bottom with your special friends; the top requires a backwards curve of the spine that greatly aggravates disk problems.

Also, certain medicinal herbs that block the CB1 and CB2 pain receptors are more effective at blocking referred pain for me with less side effects that the standard medicines like norytriptlene, neurontin, etc.

Good luck and keep riding!

mtbr member extraordinair
    I would love to see the results of an MRI done on my back!

But, I'll second telemikes comments above. I've never had surgery, but mtbing has definitely increased my back strength over time - and definitely pay attention when lifting things. Do it right, never twist, never rush it. One setback will put you down for a looooong time. One thing I'll add - pay more attention to your core strength - crunches and leg lifts etc. And listen to your body. I tend to know when my back is just not feeling up to doing much, and I wont push it, even if it means missing a ride.

Good luck buddy, and know you are not alone!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Buy one of those big rubber exercise balls and google core workouts for them. I can't recommend them enough. While I've never had the leg numbness, I did have severe recurring lower back pain that has all but completely gone away since using one of these. These exercises get your large muscle groups balanced and working together again. Good luck.

mtbr member
    I've had back pain for several years, starting in late high school after a round of squats, on the warm down no less. Anyway, the advice here is pretty sound. Work on your core, stretch, don't lift anything incorrectly, and relax when the back tells you to. I've found that yoga has helped me quite a bit. I like the movement in some of the poses and it helps with small muscle control. I've also heard the Tai-Chi can help for the same reasons. Warm-up a little before trail rides with a lap or two in the parking lot. Ibuprophen can help a little as it is a muscle relaxant, just don't assume that it fixes the issue. If you take some time to strengthen and stretch, your back should still give you years of good trail riding.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Don't you think that a question about multilevel degenerative disc disease and biking would be better directed to your doctor rather than a bunch of guys you don't know on a mountain bike forum?

mtbr member
    I think he's just looking for others with similar issues to chime in on their experiences. He should certainly listen to a doctor or physical therapist rather than us. However, having others thoughts could improve the quality of the conversation he has with his doc.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    I don't know what he's looking for other than advice. If he uses it to enhance his dialog with his doctor, great. If he does anything physically that is recommended on the forum without discussing it with his doc, he's asking for trouble. Unless there's someone on the forum qualified to read the results of his MRI, which is pretty unlikely.

jrm
    mtbr member
    What do you think? Is there pain? Is it manageable/sustainable? is it something youve been able to work through or has the condition got worse from riding? Ive had to ask these same questions due to a shoulder that continues to get worse and right arm that goes numb b/c of a MTB neck/serious concussion yard sale some 8 years a go.

mtbr member
    I have a persistent lower back pain that I keep at bay by core exercises and using an inversion table that helps ease spinal compression. Hip flexors also pull at the base of the spin. Many cyclists have tight flexors. Stretch them babies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You should try going to a chiropractor for a few months. You might be able to still ride and not make the problem any worse, depending on the cause of the herniation and the degree/longevity.

Avoid riding while taking medication for the pain/numbness. Those symptoms are there for a reason and if you push it you will make it worse.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I've had back pain for several years, starting in late high school after a round of squats, on the warm down no less. Anyway, the advice here is pretty sound. Work on your core, stretch, don't lift anything incorrectly, and relax when the back tells you to. I've found that yoga has helped me quite a bit. I like the movement in some of the poses and it helps with small muscle control. I've also heard the Tai-Chi can help for the same reasons. Warm-up a little before trail rides with a lap or two in the parking lot. Ibuprophen can help a little as it is a muscle relaxant, just don't assume that it fixes the issue. If you take some time to strengthen and stretch, your back should still give you years of good trail riding.

Amen. This is absolutely the best advice. Avoid, as if your life depended on it, getting trapped in the circle of doctors, pain medications, and surgery.

Not to say that surgery isn't sometimes necessary but if you have a hammer, everything is a nail. Likewise if you go to a surgeon they are predisposed to do surgery whether it's the best option or not. Many routine back surgeries are unnecessary and lead to even more surgeries and complications. A good surgeon knows when not to operate.

We are a terrifically overmedicated society and the majority of medical care dispensed is either unnecessary of of only marginal benefit.

In regard to the MRI report, even people with no back pain have disk bulges and abnormalities in their spines and the findings of imaging don't always correlate to the location and severity of symptoms. Take with a grain of salt.

how heavy are you ??

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I think he's just looking for others with similar issues to chime in on their experiences. He should certainly listen to a doctor or physical therapist rather than us. However, having others thoughts could improve the quality of the conversation he has with his doc.
    This!

how heavy are you ??

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    What do you think? Is there pain? Is it manageable/sustainable? is it something youve been able to work through or has the condition got worse from riding? Ive had to ask these same questions due to a shoulder that continues to get worse and right arm that goes numb b/c of a MTB neck/serious concussion yard sale some 8 years a go.
    No pain, just numbness. Doctor visit is today.. Physical therapist said more than likely surgery would be suggested by Dr.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by santiagomo87 View Post
    You should try going to a chiropractor for a few months. You might be able to still ride and not make the problem any worse, depending on the cause of the herniation and the degree/longevity.

Avoid riding while taking medication for the pain/numbness. Those symptoms are there for a reason and if you push it you will make it worse.

No no no. Real medical doctors are bad enough without resorting to quacks. Chiropractors are absolutely not qualified to diagnose or treat disorders of the spine. Their medical training is slipshod and, reiterating that if you have a hammer you will nail, cracking your back is not always the best thing to do.

If your back problems are not severe enough to warrant seeing a real doctor (a Neurosurgeon or an Orthopedic Surgeon), I'd recommend a good massage therapist or common sense things like stretching or back exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    No no no. Real medical doctors are bad enough without resorting to quacks. Chiropractors are absolutely not qualified to diagnose or treat disorders of the spine. Their medical training is slipshod and, reiterating that if you have a hammer you will nail, cracking your back is not always the best thing to do.

If your back problems are not severe enough to warrant seeing a real doctor (a Neurosurgeon or an Orthopedic Surgeon), I'd recommend a good massage therapist or common sense things like stretching or back exercises.
    That is a bit over dramatic. Chiros can provide a good deal of pain relief. However, they tend to treat only the symptoms. There was a time when back pain and discomfort prevented me from sleeping at night. After 2 months visiting a chiro, I was sleeping again without issue. Would I have gotten better on my own? perhaps, but Im pretty sure it wouldn't have happened as quickly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    That is a bit over dramatic. Chiros can provide a good deal of pain relief. However, they tend to treat only the symptoms. There was a time when back pain and discomfort prevented me from sleeping at night. After 2 months visiting a chiro, I was sleeping again without issue. Would I have gotten better on my own? perhaps, but Im pretty sure it wouldn't have happened as quickly.
    Confirmation bias.

I have a cold. Idiot doctor gives me antibiotics. I get better. Antibiotics cured the cold.

Seriously dude?

Confimation bias - Ive never been to a chiro, all chiros are idiot quacks.

When its your back or body, treat it the way you feel is necessary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am a Chiropractor and believe me, during my 5 years of training I am more qualified to diagnose the spine than an MD. I don't want to go off topic but please don't go bashing other's professions when you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

However, you do speak true words Ailuropoda in regards to avoiding medication/surgery.

Perhaps you had a bad experience with a chiropractor. As with any profession, there are people who are good at it and people who are bad at it and since the spine is such a delicate thing you definetely don't want to go with a bad one. Cracking your back can be as good as it can be bad depending on the cause.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    Seriously dude?

Confimation bias - Ive never been to a chiro, all chiros are idiot quacks.

When its your back or body, treat it the way you feel is necessary.
    I don't think you understand confirmation bias.

I had back pain. I went to a chiropractor for two months and, mirabile dictu, my back got better. Would your back had gotten better on its own?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I used to hit up the chiro all the time, didnt do much long term, started doing massage therapy, WOW way better results, back pain is not always your spine doing funky ****. your muscles can cause way more pain then you think. I have been dealing with a back injury sine I was 13, a fractured vertebrate that will never heal. I was told never to roller skate, skate board do any sports or i could break it and be in a wheel chair the rest of my life. After 2 years I said **** it I am taking the chance, done everything plus. Been hit by a car head on on my motorcycle, crashed more times then I care to remember on the MTB over 20 years. Sometimes what they say is a some what educated guess, I guess I beat the odds or not but I wasn't sitting on my ass any longer. Do I still have pain hell yeah, hurts everyday, its amazing what you can get used to. If it does ever let go at least I enjoyed my life till that point, no regrets.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

how heavy are you ??

Here's the update. Blown out disc pushing on nerve. Not gonna help to shoot it up, disc repair. The disc needs to be pulled and the vertebra need to be fused. The repair would work temporarily and blow up again.. Not what I wanted to hear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast