mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Custom 29+ Colour Suggestions?

I'm having a Kid Dangerous bike built by Kris Henry @ 44 bikes. I've been calling it the 44 Magnum Project, because it'll be a 29+ with a Rohloff hub. It's obviously not a race bike. My feeling is, "it might not be the quickest off the draw, but once it get's rolling, it'll clean blow your head off" LOL.

Anyone have any recommendations on colours? I'm going retro a bit- Cream blocking in the front with main color in the back 3/4.

Right now the three options are

Cream- Black
    Cream- British Racing Green
    Cream- Orange

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Color of the bike is certainly a critical factor. One would not want to appear on the trails with the wrong colors.

For example, orange, might be OK for Fall, but for the other three seasons...no way. And with cream? Just can't see it.

One simply cannot go wrong with british racing green. It's always a winner in my book. Looks great with cream, and will work year around.

As for black. Goes with everything. Makes one look thinner, and, as you said, this will not be a light bike...so black might just be the ticket. Except...it's being so over done these days.

What component group are you going with? Hard to make a decision without knowing what components will be on the bike.

It's a tough call. Hopefully others will weigh in with their thoughts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the feedback...

Yes- enduring style- NOT trendy fashion- is foremost in my mind ;-) .Kris suggested orange as an option and cited retrotech bikes as an example...it does look cool.

The components are going to be pretty cool- pretty much all the hard bits will be silver- again, to keeping it retro-feeling...

The fork will be a custom rigid segmented style, thru axle from Engin which would be painted in the two tone scheme as well;

Wheels will be silver Velocity Dually's, silver hubs, spokes; Linskey Ti seat post; Thomson elite stem and Ti Riser bars; Formula R1 brakes; Grips (ODI Rogues) and seat (selle san marco- rolls) will be black; chain will be KMC DLC silver. Paul Mountain Crank. The rotors are going to be a custom design from Kris that I haven't seen yet.

mtbr member
    Sounds like it's going to be an awesome bike. Please do post pics when you have em.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm repainting my 2014 Unit because i don't like the blue they offer and came here looking for ideas. I have been thinking flat black and gloss black with lime green bits like skewers, collar, lock-ons. That way if I ever upgrade the forks or bars they will fit in the skeem of things. I know its over done but black is always beautiful. If you want to go retro pinstripe it with some Von Dutch or old school looking vinyl cut graphics. How are you going to transition between the different colors if you go two tone?
    Could you post your inspiration ??

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Retro always invokes John Deere green and antique white for me. I'd also consider the three color Fender Tobacco sunburst because why not?

AZ
    banned
    ​...........

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Custom 29+ Colour Suggestions?

I was speaking to a bud of mine about the build and he blurted, "ET Kuwahara!" I had to look it up but I thought the red and white combo is a good idea to riff. I have some picks and will post later!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I would like to share some wisdom with others that has worked for me. I have several bikes and a wonderful wife, in order to keep the harmony at home, new bikes get a fresh coat of cheap black spray paint. You don't even have to do a good job. I know it sounds terrible to ruin a factory finish but now I don't have another new bike for her to hold over me or beat me up with. Yes now it looks old and just like the others. Just a thought...color is somewhat important but why?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    ​...........
    Clever . . . . I like it. Ninja paint.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Clever . . . . I like it. Ninja paint.

Don't give me too much credit, I was just deleting a less than cohesive post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Colors up!

Quote Originally Posted by DPeper View Post
    I would like to share some wisdom with others that has worked for me. I have several bikes and a wonderful wife, in order to keep the harmony at home, new bikes get a fresh coat of cheap black spray paint. You don't even have to do a good job. I know it sounds terrible to ruin a factory finish but now I don't have another new bike for her to hold over me or beat me up with. Yes now it looks old and just like the others. Just a thought...color is somewhat important but why?
    I guess I don't have to hide my secret from my wife, but you're observations are precient...my wife isn't particularly pleased with my new passion! It's spending money and time away from her! LOL. Seriously though, that's like asking someone who is into custom cars why paint car seven coats of candy apple red! This is not a rat rod project either! Here are the color options:

Custom 29+ Colour Suggestions?-44_victormah_paint1.jpg
    Custom 29+ Colour Suggestions?-44_victormah_paint2-1.jpg

Custom 29+ Colour Suggestions?-red.jpg
    ...hmmm...and for some other reason the orange proof won't load...oh well, it's cool but I'm leaning on red at this point...

The Fastest of Bananas
    I really like the red and creme, its very classy. You can call it strawberry shortcake, after the Urbandictionary definition.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    I really like the red and creme, its very classy. You can call it strawberry shortcake, after the Urbandictionary definition.
    I don't if I should LMAO or be really sad...

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic-20 View Post
    I don't if I should LMAO or be really sad...
    Both

88mike
    Tell him to surprise you.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Never let the guy pick the color. In the words of my wife this Christmas (and every Christmas) "You tell me how much you were thinking of spending on me and I'll go buy something within 25% of that price range, unless you low-ball me then I'm getting what I want and your adjusting your ceiling." It's worked since 1991.