Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The curse of a cyclist's mind

1K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  screampint 
#1 ·
This bike riding addiction is becoming a bit disturbing. For me, at least. After going riding nearly everyday over the holidays, on Monday I was more bummed out about not being able to go on a ride than coming into the hellish workload I had waiting for me at the office. As many of us have repeated ad nauseum, "I'd rather be riding."

But I've been whacked with an annoying chest cold over the past few days, so that's sidelined me even if I didn't have to work. But all I can think about is, "Dude, if I didn't have this chest full of mucus and crap and this annoying cough, I'd kill to go riding for a bit today." Yesterday, I felt so crap that I actually had to take off from work. Saw the doctor and all, and rather than work on feeling better, I used my 'day off' to tinker with the bike. Can't ride, but I can at least spend time with bikes! I'm out of my mind, I think. Yesterday, I spent a good 15 minutes pulling off the little rubber 'spines' off all my tires. Just so I could have something to tinker with.

Today, I'm not feeling any better, but work needed to get done, so I decided to come into the office. Weather was well beyond crap - rain, sleet and snow. Yet, as I stood on the train platform, all I could think about was, "Dude, if I didn't have this chest cold or have to go into work, I'd kill to go riding for a bit today." I'm saying this as I practically slip off the slush on the platforms onto the tracks. I'm starting to feel like I'm a bit sick in the head now.

When I look up the weather forecast now, all I'm concerned with is weather conditions on Saturdays and Sundays. Those are the only two days out of the week I get to ride. Weekdays are right out. I'm happy as a pig in sh!t is I see clear forecasts for the weekend, yet I'm a miserable bastard if I see rain and snow and crap for the weekend.

This is the curse I now have to deal with. A year ago, I was never like this. But since I got my first bike in April or May of last year, this is insanity that goes on in my head. It's sad, it's pathetic, it's an obsession of sorts, and like I said, a bloody curse.

I'm not sure why I even wrote this post. Maybe I'm looking to see if I'm the only headcase around here. Maybe... oh, I dunno.

See less See more
#5 ·
there's something wrong with this?

like screampint said, welcome to my world. :)

funny you should mention the weather forecast. while riding in circles last night with a friend (we've got a park that's closed to traffic and allows night road riding on a 5 mile loop) we must have spent 15 minutes (one lap) discussing the weather forecast for the next 7 days. aside from people who live in ski resorts i don't think there is anyone who spends more time studying the weather than cyclists. :eek:

hey, if you need something to tinker with i've got at least 2 bikes that could use a complete overhaul. ;)

rt

#7 ·
When I lived in London, commuting to work would have been great. My flat was literally two blocks from the office. But I'd have gone from Bayswater to Notting Hill, across to Maida Vale and back down to Paddington. Or maybe down to Kensington, then out to Knightsbridge and then back up. Or, I could... oh what's the point.

Now that I'm back here in NY, commuting really isn't an option. It's a 20 mile ride each way, and a) I'd rather now show up at the office in a heap of pespiration, and b) I simply don't have the plums to navigate Manhattan traffic all the way down to Soho.

*rt* - feel free to mail me your two bikes. I can't promise that I'll do a good job, and more importantly, I certainly can't promise that you'll have either of them back. Were you the one with the new pink Surly? Yeah, you're not seeing those again. But the offer's there, just so you know.

#8 ·
*rt* said:
like screampint said, welcome to my world. :)

rt
Ditto. I'm sore as hell but having been sick recently and knowing it will likely rain this weekend I'm still opting to ride tonight knowing full well I'll be cramping and slow. Welcome to the fold.

#9 ·
SpinWheelz said:
Now that I'm back here in NY, commuting really isn't an option. It's a 20 mile ride each way, and a) I'd rather now show up at the office in a heap of pespiration, and b) I simply don't have the plums to navigate Manhattan traffic all the way down to Soho.
Ride half way and then take the train. Screampint, you suffer from linear thinking. Surely there's a long way. :)

#10 ·
I think this is something that ails all of us

I too have this 'I wish I were riding' sickness. Anytime I see a nice road, trail, park, even on TV I wish I was there peddaling my bike! I actually started biking because I thought, o poor illusions, that biking would be cheaper than a sports club, but, well, after 3 bikes, a lot of clothes, stuff and gadgets, I think I have spent alot more! But I have gotten more than I gave, jejejeje.

I think now of my life as BC and AC, like in Before Cicling, and After Cicling, jejeje

Well, have a great ride!

#12 ·
SpinWheelz said:
*rt* - feel free to mail me your two bikes. I can't promise that I'll do a good job, and more importantly, I certainly can't promise that you'll have either of them back. Were you the one with the new pink Surly? Yeah, you're not seeing those again. But the offer's there, just so you know.
hmmmm, that wasn't exactly what i had in mind. :D (yep, that's me with the pink surly) but then again, i'm not sure exactly what you'd do with a couple of size XS bikes. ;)

rt

#17 ·
SpinWheelz said:
I'm 5'4" - I'll find a way of making it work, believe me. My very first bike, the one I bought in April, was an XS bike, too small for me. Got it to work with a longer stem and a longer seatpost.

So, when can I expect delivery?
uh, next week. yeah, that's it. :D

rt

#19 ·
You are sick alright

SpinWheelz said:
This bike riding addiction is becoming a bit disturbing. For me, at least. After going riding nearly everyday over the holidays, on Monday I was more bummed out about not being able to go on a ride than coming into the hellish workload I had waiting for me at the office. As many of us have repeated ad nauseum, "I'd rather be riding."

But I've been whacked with an annoying chest cold over the past few days, so that's sidelined me even if I didn't have to work. But all I can think about is, "Dude, if I didn't have this chest full of mucus and crap and this annoying cough, I'd kill to go riding for a bit today." Yesterday, I felt so crap that I actually had to take off from work. Saw the doctor and all, and rather than work on feeling better, I used my 'day off' to tinker with the bike. Can't ride, but I can at least spend time with bikes! I'm out of my mind, I think. Yesterday, I spent a good 15 minutes pulling off the little rubber 'spines' off all my tires. Just so I could have something to tinker with.

Today, I'm not feeling any better, but work needed to get done, so I decided to come into the office. Weather was well beyond crap - rain, sleet and snow. Yet, as I stood on the train platform, all I could think about was, "Dude, if I didn't have this chest cold or have to go into work, I'd kill to go riding for a bit today." I'm saying this as I practically slip off the slush on the platforms onto the tracks. I'm starting to feel like I'm a bit sick in the head now.

When I look up the weather forecast now, all I'm concerned with is weather conditions on Saturdays and Sundays. Those are the only two days out of the week I get to ride. Weekdays are right out. I'm happy as a pig in sh!t is I see clear forecasts for the weekend, yet I'm a miserable bastard if I see rain and snow and crap for the weekend.

This is the curse I now have to deal with. A year ago, I was never like this. But since I got my first bike in April or May of last year, this is insanity that goes on in my head. It's sad, it's pathetic, it's an obsession of sorts, and like I said, a bloody curse.

I'm not sure why I even wrote this post. Maybe I'm looking to see if I'm the only headcase around here. Maybe... oh, I dunno.
but in good company around here.
Mondays are always a let down for me because afrer a big weekend of riding I know I am only going to spin easy for the next couple of days on the trainer before cranking up the mileage and intensity by mid-week, by the weekend I know I should be able to at least get in a good long road ride or two, worst case scenerio.

#20 ·
Welcome to the Machine

Bike Nazi said:
but in good company around here.
Mondays are always a let down for me because afrer a big weekend of riding I know I am only going to spin easy for the next couple of days on the trainer before cranking up the mileage and intensity by mid-week, by the weekend I know I should be able to at least get in a good long road ride or two, worst case scenerio.
Spinwheelz, there's only one cure - buy yourself a new frame, spend hours on the net looking for new parts, and slowly build that dream bike up bit by bit until the weather clears. In the meantime, you may have to consider a trainer and a box of your favorite dvds or videos. The addiction only grows, believe me - I live at 9,100 feet and squeezed in my last ride on 12/29. We've had nothing but snow since then, so it's skiing time I guess until the trails clear in May.

#21 ·
surly surly surly

depression.

so here's how it works. I telecommute from my bedroom to my home office 27 steps away. A couple of days pass and I realize that I've barely left the house. Maybe I've walked a block to the grocery & back. So on day 3 or even 4 I'm surly as can be. I don't even realize it. I don't want to ride. I just want to sulk.

Then I run out of coffee.

My favorite beans are across town so I'm off for a fresh pound of Hairbender espresso beans roasted within the past twenty four. As I roll on the track bike in bits of fleece, wool, and waterproof layers the surliness slowly lifts. After a few dozen blocks I'm back and am thinking about all things good that I want to do today, tomorrow, next week. The ritual includes getting a 2x espresso from their expert baristas & powerful machines. The ride home is elation.

It's not singletrack and it's hardly anything resembling a workout but it keeps the insanity at bay during the low months. I *could* nip three blocks away for decent beans but the ritual of scooting across town on two wheels is absolutely required.

-Zaphod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.