Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the half breed devil

cross post--do you wish you had gears sometimes during SS rides?

this is a question for those who ride both geared and SS.

those who have gone over entirely to the single speed camp need not participate.

during my ride today, a sudden weakness came over me on a steep climb i've easily cleared many, many times on my rigid SS. i would have made it if i'd had one of my geared bikes.

are there some days that the SS tries its best to kill you?

singletrack bound
    Don't know if this answers your question but I had been riding SS exclusively for 8 years and just this last summer I built up a HT 1x10 and I have been switching up the rides (although since the rains I have been going SS for the last couple weeks) between gears and SS.
    Riding a geared bike has changed up my rides a bit and has been a welcome change but honestly, I really really like riding the SS.
    Seems like when I ride the 1x10 I sometimes forget I have gears but I do go faster on the descents and find myself sitting and spinning on the climbs when I would most likely be standing on the SS.

Honestly, I don't miss the gears!

When I go into the shop to grab my ride, I gravitate towards the SS every time....

Maybe you just needed some food or something. Put some gas in the tank.

one speed is all you need!
    Sorrel Seeker !!

Ride More, Whine Less
    I've noticed that I tend to shift far less these days, so I effectively have a single speed. I do not regret having a few gears on rides though. I like the idea of a 2 x 1 set up.

mtbr member
    I have a collection of rides and I pick the best bike for where I'll be riding that day. When I feel the need to turn off my brain and get to the subliminal roots of why I ride nothing makes me happier than my trusty SS. I forget I have no gears and just pound away the climbs (or push sometimes). Singlespeeding for me is, excuse the cliche, an almost religious experience. Nothing clears the lungs and the mind like a hard day on my SS.

B.Ike
    I too have a few rides and choose according to where, how long, and with who. Some times I choose wrong and wish for a different bike, but Its as likely I'd be wishing for the SS and to wishing I'd brought a geared bike.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    Don't know if this answers your question but I had been riding SS exclusively for 8 years and just this last summer I built up a HT 1x10 and I have been switching up the rides (although since the rains I have been going SS for the last couple weeks) between gears and SS.
    Riding a geared bike has changed up my rides a bit and has been a welcome change but honestly, I really really like riding the SS.
    Seems like when I ride the 1x10 I sometimes forget I have gears but I do go faster on the descents and find myself sitting and spinning on the climbs when I would most likely be standing on the SS.

Honestly, I don't miss the gears!

When I go into the shop to grab my ride, I gravitate towards the SS every time....

Maybe you just needed some food or something. Put some gas in the tank.

one speed is all you need!
    HA! i had just popped a gu and eaten half a bar. i think i became weak because i was irritated that my friend turned right where i wanted to turn left...

I miss gears only on loooooong flats.

mtbr member
    Last week I took the SS 29er on a 62km ride. 2/3 of that ride was riding to and from the trailhead on mostly flat roads (120m climbing from home to the trailhead), and those 40ish kms on the road would have been more pleasant on my 1x9 hardtail or 2x9 CX. However, the short 20km and 800m climbing on dirt was worth it.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    On a somewhat related question. I know a lot of you guys have switched to warm beer. Is there ever a time when you wish you had a cold beer?
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

BBB STYLEE
    LOL^.

I like my Single Speeds and Fixed option for all my rides, road or dirt.

Something magical about having to get your ass up and start doing some work.
    Im referred to as a BBBM. Big Beautiful Beard Man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Since getting back into off-road riding only two years, and being exclusively SS sine the World SS here in 2011, I've not missed gears.

I was never keen on bouncing up'n down spinning relentlessly up hills anyways.
    When the going gets too hard I'm happy taking a breather, admiring the sceanery, and even walking some of the way.

But having said that, as I'm currently building up a SS Unit I'm gearing up my older Kona.
    I don't see the point of having two SS'ers, to allow me a different option to mix it up a little and to make it easier to use as a loaner bike when the GF or mates join me on the trails.

Unfortunately it's always a better engine I find myself wishing for rather than more gears.

psycho cyclo addict
    The only time I wish I had gears when riding SS is when I am in a hurry to commute to/from work (which is very infrequently). I enjoy riding both about the same otherwise.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

drunken pirate
    The only time I wish I had gears when riding single speed is on neutral terrain when I get spun out - like a flat road section.

When I ride gears (1x8), which is usually reserved for racing only, I frequently wish I was on my single speed. The gears feel very inefficient and slow to me, especially while climbing.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    On a somewhat related question. I know a lot of you guys have switched to warm beer. Is there ever a time when you wish you had a cold beer?
    Some beers are meant to be drunken warm.

Back on topic:

If I am alone SS is phenomenal. I never ever miss gears. When I'm with a group I only miss the gears on long uphills where I can't stand the whole time and sitting doesn't give enough power.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

Bike Snob
    No.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have to ride less then a quarter mile down my street to the trailhead and I often find myself wanting gears. I'm running 32x21 and it's pretty spinny; I'm changing to 32x20 soon. On the better more aggressive trails that I drive too, I never want gears. All that said, I may build up a 1x10 someday in the future for boring fireroads.

mtbr member
    no for me as well. mine is a 4X/bmx set up with just a rear brake and a slammed saddle so I am committed for the day's ride. I ride it equally as much as my 1x9 squishy ride.
    my next set up is a ss klunker with a coaster brake. that will be alot of fun!
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    I commute on my SSCX bike and as others have said, gears would be nice when on the flat sections where you just spin out. I top out at about 33-34 KM/H in perfect conditions
    Last edited by Swerny; 07-29-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well, I don't know this for a fact, but I would bet that most of the previous posters are relatively young fellows. Looking at this question through the prism of advanced years and damaged knees, I would say that they invented gears for a reason, and that many will alter their opinions in due time. I have immense respect for any one able to ride a single speed, but like so much in life, these abilities fade with time.
    Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go. Bernard Malamud

Ridin' Furry
    I dont want any knee problems, bein a big dude is part of the reason... SS is no go fur me. :d

Although i do imagine what it would be like climbing up some of the crazy hills i ride on a ss

undercover brother
    I've never wished I had gears when riding my SS. I've wished I was riding SS when riding my geared bike. If I can't clear something that day, its because I am off my game, or I'm really tired. There's nothing to blame on the bike if it is working properly. That's what I love about SS. People complain that their derailluer is out of whack on a ride and they're complaining about missed shifts and ghost shifts as to why they didn't clear something. When you riding SS, you can only blame your lack of strength. Sure, you can say your gear ratio is too high. But, in all reality, you're just too weak for THAT gear ratio.

But I'm not going to lie, I've thrown my bike and cursed it to hell when I haven't cleared something, but I'm usually just pissed off at myself.

puts the FU in fun
    Naw. The simplicity of riding SS is just too much fun. I have a 1x9 but rarely take it out unless I'm planning a really long ride on unfamiliar trails. As for knee damage, I think you can alleviate the possibility of it happening by running a reasonable gear for your terrain. I'd rather spin out on the flats than have to grunt up every hill at 2rpm.
    Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have wished to be geared differently on my SS, but I can't think of a time that I've wished that I brought the geared bike. If I'm riding the SS, it's because I've chosen it specifically for that day's ride. (Now, the whole "rigid vs. suspended" discussion is another story!)

mtbr member
    Eh, no regrets, I know what I brought to the trail.
    I really like mixing it up with both of my bikes: rigid ss and geared front suspension.
    I ride the ss about twice as much.
    There is a certain rhythm to each, going up and down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I like to ride my SS up hills so I run 32/20. I spin like mad on road sections. As soon as my bike hits the road, I hate it but as soon as my bike hits the dirt, I LOVE it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast