~Reformed Mechanic~

Crazy trail story!

Weirdest thing thats ever happened to me on the trial yesterday...

Im cruising along at my normal 12 mile and hour clip on my usual 7.5 mile trial, when out of nowhere a stick flies into my rear spokes and is rattling loudly along. Wouldnt have stopped except this was a large stick and I didnt want to bust my spokes (was riding in nothing but sand with no sticks anywhere when this happened btw, which was weird in itself).

Since I was timing my lap time I came to a very quick stop. As I stopped, I had just barley skidded my front wheel in the sand, I looked down at my front wheel and JUST SO Happen to have Stopped RIGHT on top of a large Black Snake Pinning him under my front tire! (Call my Indiana jones, because I hate snakes!). I flew off the back of the bike startled but kept holding the front wheel down because it was the only thing keeping this pissed off snake pinned down and not coming after me

At this point the snake is biting the heck out of my front tire in a rage, so I freed the stick and RAN back-wards with the bike, and the snake took off into the woods! Hopped back on and peddled the heck outa there!

I just couldnt believe that in all the times Ive ridden that trail and only seen 1 snake before, that out of the 7.499999 miles of "Snake Free Trail" I happen to skid to a stop no top of one
    Last edited by Ace5high; 09-30-2011 at 03:15 PM.

mtbr member
    LOL, that's definitely crazy. I think I've only seen a snake on the trail only once before myself.

mtbr member
    What tires are you running? I'm always looking for a tire that's snakebite-proof. Slime tubes?

poser Administrator
    While where i live I have snakes everywhere i had a similar experience when following a friend riding and we went too hot into a corner. He ended up braking hard and sliding out on his back tire while I slipped inside. When he came to a stop he was a foot away from a big 5' ish rattler. When I hit him moments later I pushed his front tire onto the snake, pinning it in the sandy wash.

We stood there for a second astonished at this luck and then in unison with no previous coordination grabbed our top tubes and hopped backwards together away from the pissed snake. We laughed afterwards and were totally glad that he didn't stop on the snake and my impact push his front tire off the snake and into the area between our legs. That would have been much worse.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That is a crazy coincidence.

Last week I mildly freaked out when I thought I rode within inches of a small snake. There was no time to remember the saying about "red touches black, you're okay Jack", or "red touches yellow, you're a dead fellow". Well, there was no yellow, but it looked like a western coral with white, but more likely it would have been a California mountain kingsnake.

I turned myself around and pedaled over to it and had a good chuckle and a sigh of relief. Someone had lost their beaded necklace that used the colors orange, black, and white. Needless to say, I moved the necklace off the trail to avoid any possible future freakouts by other people. Who knows?..... that thing could have caused an accident.
    To ride this trail is completely free.
    Just show me a triangle..... make it three!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by stnewt View Post
    LOL, that's definitely crazy. I think I've only seen a snake on the trail only once before myself.
    They were "snake skins" of course... Thats why they make um, Snake proof

mtbr member
    With a major drought in my parts, I'm seeing wildlife that I normally wouldn't. I periodically do a personal time trial just to gauge my fitness level and also to see if I could perhaps do something competitively. So naturally I get the jitters because I don't want to let myself down and admit that I my age will continue to slow me down. So this last go around, I'm really cranking away, focused on what gear I'm in, how to weigh my tires on the next turn, scanning the terrain ahead, etc. I get to a point where I'm cruising on a fast stretch so I think to myself, perfect time to wet my whistle. I reach for my bottle , when all of the sudden I hear a rattler at the edge of the the trail and the tall grass right NEXT TO ME - 2 away max. Panic sets in and I no longer thirst. I get my other hand on the handlebar thinking that I just imagined this; that this did not just happen. But I turned back to look and I can still hear him and I see the grass shaking as the snake is retreating further from the trail. With every hair on my body raised, I continue to haul out of there. So I'm not sure if I'm in good shape now or if it was the adrenalin because I crushed my best time by 5%. I tell ya, had I been a couple of seconds slower it would have been bad news for one mountain biker and/or diamond back rattler. Somewhere there's a snake now saying, "Frank, you should have seen this a-hole zooming down the trail. He almost cut me in half. I was so scared, I've never slithered backwards so fast in my life."

...now every cotton tail, squirrel, and lizard rustling around gets me on edge... stupid poisonous snakes..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've seen a snake just about every time I've ridden the trail closest to my house. It's near water and some low marshy areas so there are plenty of snakes, rabbits, mosquitoes, etc. to come across. It's usually only a ribbon snake or the occasional black snake. I have only come upon one poisonous snake on the 50-60+ rides on the trail and of course it was the snake I came closest to! There is a downed tree with a small clay runup next to it that allows you to take an option line over the fallen tree, so I rolled up it and sure as hell there is a copperhead basking damn near 2 feet from the point where my front tire needed to be. Luckily I saw him before I got on top of the tree and had to commit, so I just ditched the bike there and jumped back until he decided to go about his way 2-3 mins later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by William_Cannon View Post
    Somewhere there's a snake now saying, "Frank, you should have seen this a-hole zooming down the trail. He almost cut me in half. I was so scared, I've never slithered backwards so fast in my life."
    Sounds like a Gary Larson Far Side cartoon. I can picture a rattlesnake sitting at a saloon bar wearing a cowboy hat and talking to the snake bartender.
    To ride this trail is completely free.
    Just show me a triangle..... make it three!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Wizard View Post
    Sounds like a Gary Larson Far Side cartoon. I can picture a rattlesnake sitting at a saloon bar wearing a cowboy hat and talking to the snake bartender.
    So true!
    Attached Images Attached Images