mtbr member
    Feb 2006

The Crazy Eye...

Why is it you ride 3-5 times a week, no problems... drops, rollers, jumps, rock gardens, etc.

Then the one time you come to work with a bandage on your arm (from a fall resulting in some minor scrapes) and people give you the crazy eye? "You're crazy!" "Haven't you learned yet?!"

With no recognition of how awesome I normally ride? (with exception to the occasional fall )

A not so relative analogy... some people injure their car more often than I do myself riding my bike. Maybe they shouldn't drive anymore?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you don't wreck every now and then you aren't pushing hard enough. People that don't exercise don't understand you have to push past your abilities a little in order to improve.

Invite them with you. Then they'll understand. They'll either love it and start riding, or think you're insane and leave you alone. Either way, win/win.

Professional Crastinator
    "...the one time..."

HA HA! I had one bad Summer once. After weeks of shin dings and elbow scrapes I showed up at my golf league after a particularly bad fall down a shale riverbank and they thought I'd crashed my motorcycle. My right leg and arm were a mess.
    You are fortunate.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I get a few cuts and scrapes too. I usually do my falling when I barely in motion. But the last two times out I didn't have any falls. Its because I'm getting to know the trail better and improving my skills. But falls will still happen every now and then.

backwoods and backwards
    " K, what happened to your arm"?

" I bumped it on a tree when I was mountain biking".

"Oh...one time we went to Block Island and rented mountain bikes. We rode all around the Island. You know they paved some of the railroad tracks in town..."

"Sounds like you had a great time...That's not really what I do though"

MTBiking isn't for everyone...we're the lucky ones. The non-combatants will never understand.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Fortunately my coworkers understand and accept that most mondays, I'm going to be pretty beat up. Not even necessarily from crashing, just from riding hard.

The one time I broke my thumb, I had to tell someone that trying to live without any [perceived] risks isn't really living. That's the sort of thing either someone gets or they don't, no amount of explanation is going to change that.

mtbr member
    I had my 2nd worse crash in 5 years of riding recently. OTB on a lazy drop which resulted in a bump on the chin/eyebrow and scraped/bruised arm. Two days later I hung out with some old friends who I only see once a year. They though I was crazy and even got a few "That's why I don't mountain bike.." type comments. Then the guys who don't even try to exercise chime in with "I'm too old for that kind of stuff. We're 30 now." In my book 30 years old is damn young. Whatever...they just don't get it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    HA! I jacked up my shoulder a while back and the doc had me using a sling. That was fine with my close colleagues, but I ditched the sling every time I had a meeting or had to go anywhere near our executive offices. It just isnt worth trying to explain why a middle aged man is jumping a bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robert w View Post
    It just isnt worth trying to explain why a middle aged man is jumping a bike...

Well said. That's one of the best lines I've read in a long time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    People that don't mountain bike will never understand! I have cracked 2 helmets in the past years and had several scraps, cuts, and wraps on various parts of my body. I just look at them and say, If your going to be dumb, you better be tough!!!

mtbr member
    I work in a small office. By now I just get the "you crashed on your bike again?" question from time to time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I kinda like that reaction. If the couch potatoes think I'm crazy....even better. Most of the people I work with are pretty active and "get it", but still think I'm a little bit crazy when I show up to the office bandaged, bloodied or broken.

If there is one thing I am good at on a bike, it's my cat like ability to get myself out of an impossible situation without crashing. I have perfected the spectacular save. Unfortunately, that means I don't crash often, but when I do, I'm not that good at it, so it's usually a pretty hard crash. I average 1 hard crash maybe every other year at most.

Still recovering from a recent hard crash where I washed out on the landing of a road gap and hit a tree. Broke a rib, got some road rash and ended up with a watermelon sized/rainbow colored bruise on my hip/butt/lower back. Afterwards, was watching some DH/FR videos on Pinkbike, and my 6 year old daughter walks up and says "Those riders are a lot better than you....you would just crash on that trail."

Thanks for the vote of confidence little girl!!! I'd rather be thought of as crazy than incompetent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ride much less hard than I used to. It's possible to still enjoy biking without getting hurt on a regular basis. Just be alert and aware of what your limits are.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    "Still recovering from a recent hard crash where I washed out on the landing of a road gap and hit a tree. Broke a rib, got some road rash and ended up with a watermelon sized/rainbow colored bruise on my hip/butt/lower back. "

I just had this exact crash last Thursday night. Landed a big jump lined up on a tree, grabbed too much front brake and nailed the tree superman style right over the handlebars. Watermelon bruise all colors of the rainbow on left hip - check. Three broken ribs upper left back - check. Lots of road rash...er tree rash - check. Minor concussion and mangled helmet making me damn glad I wear one - check. Worst fear currently is that I will sneeze again...yep. And I can't wait to get back on the bike (which sustained zero damage BTW).

My coworkers definitely think I'm crazy. But then again I am a 42 year old senior vice president. What can I say; I need my outlet or I'll take my aggression out on coworkers and forget my manners in the boardroom. Can't have that can we?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I work in a small office. By now I just get the "you crashed on your bike again?" question from time to time.
    +1.

I just get the 'hard landing?' type comments - they all know after seeing me limp, bruises, cuts, scrapes, eetc.

mtbr member
    Badges of honor, I say. Infinitely cooler than a sore back from shanking your tee shot on the 3 hole.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    As a professional firefighter for a larger city, it cracks me up when my co-workers claim that MTB is too dangerous. I have only been riding for a year or so, have only had a few crashes, nothing more serious than road rash. I know a more serious injury will eventually happen, but at least I will be able to say I did it going big!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I get plenty of cuts and scrapes and bruises but I hate the ones that show for that very reason. I had a couple of dirt rash type scrapes on my arm after a fall this past week. After the first day at work having every patient ask me about them I wore long sleeves the rest of the week (eventhough it's hot). Plus that helps me leave the scabs alone. I'm a compulsive scab picker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Over a weekend I accidentally ran off-trail and suffered a bunch of scratches to my arm and neck and face. Monday at work people asked what happened to me. I replied that "... my wife's cat beat me up."

Stunned silence. Worried glances. Shoulda told them the truth. Ha, ha.

TR
    Last edited by elder_mtber; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I ride as hard as possible same as 30 years ago, except one thing

I don't rail corners as fast. that is the most risk, so I back off. rocks and downhills don't bug me, but sliding corners...I have biffed too many trees and it gets old

I do try to slide both tires but it happens less often

otherwise I am pounding the pedals just as hard as I can everywhere and come home bleeding somewhere every time. usually just stick to legs or stick to the guts...small stuff.
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:05 AM.