Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A couple of lines, an extra thermos of joe...

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  lovemonkey 
#1 ·
Just kidding about the "lines" thing. I would never snort blow and ride. This thread is about the importance of good coffee to a man--it feels wierd to refer to myself this way, but I digress--who loves to ride and can no longer drink booze. Coffee has provided me with something for my palate to appreciate while simultaneously making me juiced enough to put in some serious miles.
Today, I decided to ride from Georgetown in NW Washington DC where my parents recently moved, to the Fair Oaks area in Northern VA where I live, via the WO&D trail. The round trip was almost exactly fifty miles, though I did make a detour in the middle to pick up a mimikaki (a Japanese tool for ear hygene) for my girlfriend.
Just accross the Francis Scott Key bridge from Georgetown is Clarendon, VA where my favorite espresso bar, Murky Coffee, is located. Murky serves up some serious, Northern Italian, ristretto espresso drinks; I happen to like a double espresso best, but I've been experimenting with others lately. In the Clarendon shop, Murky has a three-group Synesso Cyncra: if espresso machines were bikes, this one would be American custom steel, all the way. If you are looking for a drink that has to be ordered in Starbucks-ese, then don't bother; by the way, Ryan (the guy in red in the photo) and the other baristi, will make a lovely macchiato, but it won't have any caramel in it, so you can forget it.
Fortified with a solid four shots, I started riding. The trip down the WO&D is basically flat, so it was mostly just a bunch of spinning. After reaching Vienna, VA, I turned on to Ox Road and rode out towards Fair Oaks Mall. It was on Ox that I had a few close calls with some people who apparently didn't notice my bright red jersey and annoying LED tail light. A loaded flat-bed wrecker passed within a foot of my knuckles. Scary. The trip home was finished off with an americano with two shots and a double espresso. A good ride, indeed. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Ahh, the joys of Caffine. I loooovvvee a good espresso. I'm kinda nuerotic about them at work(a coop deli guy here), and prepare them in my own best way. Latte's are ONLY to be made w/whole milk. Ain't nuthin' better than a rich creamy, frothy mug o' git up an go!

#6 ·
Here here

I'm another one who can't drink anymore, but muddles through the day giving thanks and praise to the Bean.

I owned a place for awhile, and although I have been in Murky (my brother lived nearby at one time) I still prefer the Bay Area for great Coffee. As much as we hate the Green Giant, they have done a lot to bring "better" coffee tot he world. So much so that when I go home to Maine in the winter, I can even find a decent espresso.

Keep coming back

#7 ·
i'm 16 so i can't drink, but thats okay casue i have no desire to. i LOVE coffee! i drink it constantly. i am right now at 2:20am! my favorite is just a good ol cup of folgers. i just like plain black coffee. but i don't mind the occassional express or capaccino. i drink around a pot of coffee a day when in school and now on break i drink even more!!!!!! i think i'm addicted...it replaced soft drinks in my life.

well i also drink alot of orange juice too. i've been drinking one 2.84L jug of orange juice a week. mmmmmmm!

#8 ·
AteMrYeats said:
Just kidding about the "lines" thing. I would never snort blow and ride. This thread is about the importance of good coffee to a man--it feels wierd to refer to myself this way, but I digress--who loves to ride and can no longer drink booze. Coffee has provided me with something for my palate to appreciate while simultaneously making me juiced enough to put in some serious miles.
Today, I decided to ride from Georgetown in NW Washington DC where my parents recently moved, to the Fair Oaks area in Northern VA where I live, via the WO&D trail. The round trip was almost exactly fifty miles, though I did make a detour in the middle to pick up a mimikaki (a Japanese tool for ear hygene) for my girlfriend.
Just accross the Francis Scott Key bridge from Georgetown is Clarendon, VA where my favorite espresso bar, Murky Coffee, is located. Murky serves up some serious, Northern Italian, ristretto espresso drinks; I happen to like a double espresso best, but I've been experimenting with others lately. In the Clarendon shop, Murky has a three-group Synesso Cyncra: if espresso machines were bikes, this one would be American custom steel, all the way. If you are looking for a drink that has to be ordered in Starbucks-ese, then don't bother; by the way, Ryan (the guy in red in the photo) and the other baristi, will make a lovely macchiato, but it won't have any caramel in it, so you can forget it.
Fortified with a solid four shots, I started riding. The trip down the WO&D is basically flat, so it was mostly just a bunch of spinning. After reaching Vienna, VA, I turned on to Ox Road and rode out towards Fair Oaks Mall. It was on Ox that I had a few close calls with some people who apparently didn't notice my bright red jersey and annoying LED tail light. A loaded flat-bed wrecker passed within a foot of my knuckles. Scary. The trip home was finished off with an americano with two shots and a double espresso. A good ride, indeed. :)
I need to know where that coffee shop is, I have a friend that lives in Clarendon, and the last time I was there I couldn't locate any decent coffee.

#9 ·
lovemonkey said:
I need to know where that coffee shop is, I have a friend that lives in Clarendon, and the last time I was there I couldn't locate any decent coffee.
I too am looking forward to hearing where Murky is! In the meantime, as a native C-villian, I can recommend the Nova outpost of Greenberry's, which is not too far from Clarendon. Wilson Blvd I guess it is, just down the hill on the DC side of Clarendon. More pedestrian than Murky it sounds like, but it's pretty good and accessible for a cyclist if you're headed to/from DC.

#11 ·
wunderhorn said:
I too am looking forward to hearing where Murky is! In the meantime, as a native C-villian, I can recommend the Nova outpost of Greenberry's, which is not too far from Clarendon. Wilson Blvd I guess it is, just down the hill on the DC side of Clarendon. More pedestrian than Murky it sounds like, but it's pretty good and accessible for a cyclist if you're headed to/from DC.
IsGreenberry's a shop in Charlottesville, Va (want to make sure we're talking about the same 'ville)? If so, where are they? I currently work in C-ville, and as a recent transplant I haven't found "the" spot. Like a good LBS, or mechanic, a good coffee shop is priceless.

#12 ·
AteMrYeats said:
1.Start at 13 KESTNER LN, TROY - go 0.1 mi
2.Turn
on N LAKE AVE - go 1.0 mi
3.Turn
on HOOSICK ST - go 1.2 mi
4.HOOSICK ST becomes RT-7 WEST - go 0.6 mi
5.Take the I-787 exit toward ALBANY - go 9.2 mi
6.Take exit #1 onto I-87 SOUTH toward NEW YORK/MASS TPKE - go 112.4 mi
7.Take exit #15 onto I-287 SOUTH toward NEW JERSEY - go 68.3 mi
8.Take the I-95 exit - go 20.4 mi
9.I-95 SOUTH becomes NEW JERSEY TPKE SOUTH - go 67.9 mi
10.NEW JERSEY TPKE SOUTH becomes US-40 WEST - go 0.5 mi
11.US-40 WEST becomes I-295 SOUTH - go 5.6 mi
12.Take the I-95
exit toward BALTIMORE - go 98.7 mi
13.Take exit #22B/BALT onto MD-295 SOUTH toward WASHINGTON - go 5.6 mi
14.Take the WASHINGTON exit onto US-50 WEST - go 2.6 mi
15.Continue on NEW YORK AVE - go 2.4 mi
16.Turn
on I-395 SOUTH - go 4.2 mi
17.Take exit #8A/VA-27 onto WASHINGTON BLVD - go 3.1 mi
18.Turn
on WILSON BLVD - go 0.1 mi
19.Arrive at 3211 WILSON BLVD, ARLINGTON, on the

I might just go there today! Just kidding, but I too love a good cup of Joe.

#15 ·
lovemonkey said:
IsGreenberry's a shop in Charlottesville, Va (want to make sure we're talking about the same 'ville)? If so, where are they? I currently work in C-ville, and as a recent transplant I haven't found "the" spot. Like a good LBS, or mechanic, a good coffee shop is priceless.
Man am I jealous!!!! We just have Fourbucks/Clusterbucks around here, so I'm looking forward to checking out Murky.

Anyway, lots of options in C-ville. You will definitely find "the" spot because they are pretty different.

(1) Greenberry's is in Barracks Road Shopping Center, in that island in the middle. It's C-ville in kind of a preppy way. Law students and young faculty post-workout, that sort of vibe.

(2) I like the coffee at the Mudhouse a lot. That's on the Omni end of the so-called "historic downtown mall." If you like more of an angst-ridden, funky, urban coffeehouse feel, you will prefer this place.

(3) My favorite though is probably C-ville Coffee. I learned to get around C-ville when I was a kid, so I'm not sure how to describe where it is adult-style. It's that road that goes from the bypass at the rescue squad to the base of Vinegar Hill. C-ville Coffee is in an old light industrial area across from the skate park and rescue squad between the bypass and downtown, if that helps. Or, if you know where the downtown Bodo's is (you DO know about Bodo's Bagels, right???), you take the street behind it there and head down the hill toward the rescue squad. Much more spacious and less frenetic than Greenberry's or the Mudhouse. A clean place with lots of books. Beware that there are lots of young mothers with kids if that turns you off (or on -- I mean the MILFs not the kids of course). Plenty of parking for when you've got the bike on/in the car and just want to grab some pre/post ride coffee. Shenandoah Joe's is nearby for buying beans for home use.

#17 ·
wunderhorn said:
Man am I jealous!!!! We just have Fourbucks/Clusterbucks around here, so I'm looking forward to checking out Murky.

Anyway, lots of options in C-ville. You will definitely find "the" spot because they are pretty different.
I know about bodo's, but I have yet to get in there. I work up by the airport in the c-ville equivilent of suburb-hell :eek: , so don't get to go to the cool part very often. At least W-boro has an ok coffee shop. My gf went to UVa, but isn't real picky about her coffee, however, she will wax poetic on the joys of bodo's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.