Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    "Look, Mom, it's Lance Armstrong!"

Rod
    mtbr member
    "Good job man" another rider said this to me in a race while I was topping a long climb.

"If you would have been on a 25lb bike you would have kept up with the Expect class" The lbs owner told me this after my first and only race thus far. I was riding a 32 lb Giant hardtail. It made my day.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    "If you would have been on a 25lb bike you would have kept up with the Expect class" The lbs owner told me this after my first and only race thus far. I was riding a 32 lb Giant hardtail. It made my day.
    You don't think he was trying to sell you something?
    "Early bird gets the worm", but the second mouse gets the cheese...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Him: "You did pretty good for a 19 year old in expert class"
    Me: "Thanks. I turned 16 two weeks ago."

When in doubt, go faster
    Quote Originally Posted by mbgore
    Him: "You did pretty good for a 19 year old in expert class"
    Me: "Thanks. I turned 16 two weeks ago."
    buuutiful!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    When introducing myself to some other riders at a start line late in my first season racing:

"Hey, you're that ****ing new guy!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Everyone's got a great story

I've been reading this thread for years it seems and you all still keep coming up with great lines. Keep 'em coming.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    You climb pretty good, for a fat guy (just last week)

Rincon Local

best thing said to me while riding

I was riding up into Ojai, CA and passed a couple of 60+ year-old riders and I said "it's a nice day" and one man said "Any day on a bike is a nice day." and I thought that is what riding bikes is all about!

Retro on Steroids
    "Klunkerz!"

The guy recognized me from the movie.

Spidermonkey on wheels
    My first collegiate MTB race was also my first time on an actual MTB trail. On the 10 mile XC course in Athens, GA Iím riding behind a couple others while trying to conserve energy. I get a casual conversation going with them about how itís my first race and they go on for a few min about how they have been doing this for years and Iíll learn eventually. A min or two later we hit a rock garden going up a hill, The first guy endoís while being clipped in and the second falls off the side of the trail trying to miss him.
    I rode right through the two of them, cleared the rest of the rock garden and headed up the hill. As I pedal off I hear a moan from one guy as the other says quietly, ďHoly ****. Howíd he do that?
    That gave me the confidence to pass a dozen more and place 3rd in the C division. Not bad for a first time I guess.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    "Klunkerz!"

The guy recognized me from the movie.
    Watched it this week, good stuff

nnn
    mtbr member
    Me to someone else after 350m climb in 20 minutes: "Dude do you breathe Nitrogen or something ?"

Same person to me the day after, hurtling down a steep gravely double track: "Slow down, I'm not ready to die yet !"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not the coolest thing, but maybe the funniest. I spent this morning clearing some deadfalls off of a new trail we are building. As I was heading back to the car dressed in work clothes carrying a hoe and a chainsaw with my boys carrying the gas and bar oil a couple of guys on road bikes passed me and I overheard one saying "he doesn't look like a mountain biker", and another saying "I think he was cutting firewood". I guess at 5'8" and 235# I don't have the biker physique yet.

Chilling out
    On a break during our trail ride today in the Barton Creek Greenbelt (Austin TX),

Evil Tracey to Bear: "Ok, I'll be ready to go as soon as I finish swallowing everything in my mouth."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Ho Ho Ho!! Merry Christmas!!

I looked around, didn't see anyone. Then I saw sleigh tracks in the snow. I wonder...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    "I can't believe you come down that, I can barely walk up it' said to my friend Micki after descending Waterfall on National in Phoenix. Earlier on Mormon she was asked "how did you do that" by a passing hiker by climbing a rocky spine and then dropping in past the hiker smooth as can be. I answered "I don't know but she has lots more of those tricks." the hiker just kept watching in disbelief. Some girls rock!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    "thats impossible" said a dad to his son in front of a technical climb...

then I rode it at first attempt

the childrens face was cool o-O

flying fatass
    him: you strike me as a young person, im gunna guess your in your 20's?
    me: no, im 15

said to me whilst ridng through gun-range in markham park.......
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    Should your balls sit in front of the saddle or on the saddle? Im a bit confused.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Said the 29 to this 50 after hammering a 1 mile x 800' XC climb:
    ďDude, Iím dying here and youíre not even breathing hard.Ē

Itís the little things that make you smile.

mtbr member
    okay well i kinda said this but my friend thought it was the coolest thing ever.
    "awwww stumpyy got left behined"
    this was after seeing two guys on a 30 pound plus bike waiting up top for a carbon stumpjumper that appeared a bit later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    After watching a local semi pro blast by us on a climb, " That guy is like 2 lungs on a stick!"

mtbr member
    "Hey that's cool. I've never seen anyone get radical on a mountain bike before. If you'll jump that again, I'll get some pictures and print them for you."

This was said to me in 1992 just before I tacoed my front wheel jumping the bear's paw at SMSU in springfield,MO. I was fine, but the photographer ran away. I never did get any pics.

I like rocks
    Nov 2007
    I was just entering a small logging town on a rainy, foggy ride when an elderly fellow in a trenchcoat and beret appears out of the gloom walking along the shoulder of the road.

As I pass him heading in the opposite direction, he raises a half-closed fist and calls out "Alllez! Allez! ... Thought had I had traversed time and space for a moment

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Rolling into the trailhead parking lot after a nice ride on a beautiful, warm spring day, we pull up to my truck, and there's two beautiful women, half my age, getting ready to ride, parked next to me. The usual banter takes place,"how's the trail?", "great weather." yada,yada.... I jump into my cab, as their throwing their legs over their bikes I hear one of them say "I'd like to ride on his handlebars, and giggled" I was flattered, but not being the sharpest tool in the shed, my buddy had to point out they were talking about my mustache. Needless to say, my day was made.
    Last edited by Shelbak73; 12-29-2007 at 04:39 PM.

I like Monkeys
    My wife went out with a few of us about a week ago. She was riding like I've never seen her ride before. She was making one of the guys hurt and was climbing stuff that I was sometimes surprised I was making it up. But things had to change...

From my friend upon finding my wife after a serious crash. (use southern accent)

"I knew somthing was wrong when I seen her lying face down in the leaves!"

But the best was after carrying my wife and her broken ankle out of the woods after the crash. She broke her ankle and will be out for 6 weeks.

"Man that was my best day ever on a bike!"

She sits beside me on the couch with her foot in a 'Moon Boot" splint and still says that it was her best day. It can't get any better than that!
    Last edited by VaughnA; 12-29-2007 at 08:32 PM.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    When I was 17 (only a year into riding) An elite level rider rode behind me in a short section of trail and told me I had pretty good flow and that I should inquire about joining his local team.

Instead I went to University and gained a bunch of weight!. I'm 25 now, still in school, but graduate studies are much more flexible in terms of time so I'm getting back into more seriously now (and joining a team for next season).

mtbr member
    Heard today on the icy trail from various hikers:

"Now I'm impressed!" (while climbing)

"Wow, you're on a bike!" (while going downhill)

You need as much encouragement as you can get in the winter.
    Pivot Mach429

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Bringing this thread back up

Well over three hundred riders have replied here. I'd love to give you something new but the trails here have to get out from under a bunch of snow so I can ride again and maybe hear something cool. How about you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Worst thing ever said:

"You can pretty much take any line over the rock, except for the one he is taking."

Endo followed quickly, even though I had ridden that line a dozen times.

Doh!

Peace Coast Style
    I got the chance this Summer to ride with a now retired, once Pro BMX Racer that I rode really really good. I was keeping up with him the whole day through a whole lot of terrain. He told me I could easily get sponsored if I put in the effort. It's a goal of mine now this year. Practice up and begin racing downhill.

Also, recently. My girlfriend walks into my garage with me and exclaims "Damn, that is a good lookin bike". Haha. She appreciates my riding quite a bit. Talk about a catch and a half.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i was biking around during a snow blizzard and we had already got about a foot and a half. and i was headed back to my dorm and crossed the street and romped over a hug snow plow burm. i was all decked out with goggles so i could see and what not and there were like 7 guys outside a dorm smoking a cig and they saw me go by and yelled.

"Damn dude your crazy for biking in this weather! Rip it!"

Shut up and ride
    my female friend: "that was fun, lets go to my place and take a shower together"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    A buddy of mine has a couple kids so he doesn't get out too much. But we managed to get out for an evening ride. By dumb luck there was a big riding group with a few people that I knew. There are not that many turner bikes up here, and I've got a pretty decent build kit on mine. So we decide to join up with the bigger group. Everyone is puffing out their chest picking the order for everyone to start. This guy tells me to go ahead. But I really wanted to ride with my friend and not leave him at the back. So I said that I'd hang at the back with him. He looks down at my bike, back up at me and says "Bull...., not on that thing you won't."

~I Ride In Circles ~
    hahahhaa thats great.. I hear a bike snob comin.
    ~ it's all good ~

ride ride ride ride ride
    some chicks old me i looked badass and the guy with them said he'd like to try biking sometime. i got all puff chested... "yeah, i do look badass!" under my breath.

~20 feet later i caught my pedal on a root. didn't look so badass then... at least it was around the bend from them :x
    KHS FXT Trail - Marzocchi MX Pro

Redline Monocog 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    taking a breather after a climb, been riding with a guy behind me for about 5 miles on a local trail

(out of breath)"jeez....you're fast....I've been trying to keep up with you..."

that was the first time I ever actually rode with someone. (mountain biking is not big where I live in NC, so I always ride alone as none of my friends ride)

Wait, what!?
    Little over a year ago I crashed doing a 5 or so foot drop that I had done many many times. Tacoed front wheel, snapped a break lever, bent bars, and broken collar bone (and somehow managed to get my shirt off....), and here comes my buddy behind me.

"Good job, eff ass. Your girlfriend is going to kill you!"

Pretty soon after that he totally freaked out, and couldnt put together a full sentence to save his life. I ended up having to talk to the paramedics because he couldnt communicate to them where we were, and after that, pretty much every other word he said was four letters long and it started with F. Probably one of the most memorable rides I have been on.

It's all in the reflexes
    This is a ridiculous inside joke for my friends and I now. One time we were at a local trail, probably the rockiest in the area, and we caught up with a familly. They were very inexperienced and were pretty much walking everything up and down. When we got to the last downhill portion of the trail they asked, "Can we watch you go down it?" It was flattering to me that someone thought my piss poor skills were worth watching. Now we always joke about that regardless if it's a techy downhill or a curb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    when i ride the local trail around the house i park my car in the public park parking lot. through the park is a good size hill thats prob 4-5 ft. tall and it grows to about 12ft tall at the end. i usually hit it on the way to the trail and air it out pretty good. i then hit the trail and on the way back i hit the jump again. usually by the time i come back there are smallish kids out there that just got out of school. just about everytime atleast one kid says WOW or something to that effect. im always tempted to try again but i figure i shouldnt push my luck! heres a pic from the first day on the full squish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I've been laughing since I read your post

Quote Originally Posted by JackBurton
    This is a ridiculous inside joke for my friends and I now. One time we were at a local trail, probably the rockiest in the area, and we caught up with a familly. They were very inexperienced and were pretty much walking everything up and down. When we got to the last downhill portion of the trail they asked, "Can we watch you go down it?" It was flattering to me that someone thought my piss poor skills were worth watching. Now we always joke about that regardless if it's a techy downhill or a curb.
    I can picture it said to you at least once a ride.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Ummm. "Don't follow meeeee."
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Guy at West Dean Jumps: "How much was that bike"

Me: "Eh.......900 800 around there"

Him: "Huh? What? 8000? Dude..... and he's looking at me like O.O"

Me: "No, 800 dollars, Wait"
    (I do the 2nd biggest jump there with a 2 meter gap and its a meter deep)
    Him: "Dude Are you pro? You have a nice bike and EVERYTHING man!"

I felt SO awesome. lol And my bike is only a Ironhorse Yakuza Aniki. lol i guess Full squishys look amazing in mid air lol.

The Best thing a girl said to me was when i did a bunnyhop like 1.5 feet up and shes like "How do you do that?" and before i replied she said,"Oh Do you use your Asian Ninja skills?" (I always say that lol) I honestly Rofled.

mtbr member
    A few months ago I was riding down M St. in D.C. It was rush hour stop and go traffic, and I was in a hurry so I was weaving in and out of traffic at a pretty good clip, pushing the envelope but trying not to ride like an ass and break any laws (basically the opposite of how I used to ride when I rode BMX ). This panhandler dude watches me speed by and yells "skills, son, you got skills!" and gives me a thumbs up. I felt pretty badass, but then again he might have just been drunk.
    so far reaching
    never lose that feeling

- swervedriver

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    2.5 years ago, (after a too-long stint as a couch potato), I went riding with a couple of buddies, and of course I was wicked out of shape. Me: "Sorry to hold you guys up"

Fast forward to last september on a 27 mile charity ride. Somehow, I lost track of one of the same guys from above. I waited at the back of the pack as everyone headed up into the hills (thinking he might be doing the same waiting for me). As I rode, I kept passing people. About mile 9, I caught up with my friend. I was feeling good, so I greeted him with 'I can't believe you're letting me pass you" - thinking it might give him a boost. I didn't see him after that.

At the end of the ride he comes up to me and says: "you're riding strong". Feels pretty good to know I've left the couch behind (and occasionally have moments when I can leave normally stronger riders behind)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

It's a new season, time for you riders to tell us your stories

I'm bumping this thread back onto page one because I know you have some cool things to say to us. Let's hear it.

mtbr member
    When I started riding, I used to go in group rides but always lagged behind in the back of the group because I couldn't keep up. These were seasoned riders who tackled the gnarliest trails with ease. Not only that, the were older and much more experienced. This used to piss me off big time and made me ride as much as i can; all the while picking up the little things that MTB vets know. Fast foward a year later; and after riding with these guys and consistently scorching them; one of the group ride leader tells me..."Man, u got real good...You run point..." Felt like a King after I heard that.....

The White Jeff W
    Pedaling up a fairly steep hill with a line of blood running down my leg & there's a guy & lady hiker at the top coming down (in the preferred line, of course). Says he..."That's the cool thing about coming down here. You get to see these nuts on their bikes". lol

Last Sunday I'm bombing down a hill & jump a water bar near the bottom in sight of a group of about 12 kids out for a hike with a couple adults. Landed it perfect and never missed a beat. "Whoa! Cool!" made me smile a bit

pro
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Oh I got one. I was riding home from the DJ's on my BMX bike. I jump up this curb (big curb maybe 1') as these hot girls my age were walking by. I heard one of them say "thats amazing". Made my day!

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Attempting some technical bits of a climb and did not clear one section- much Grrrrr and grunt happened after that! A guy who was riding with the group (an older wiser guy) just looked over and said : You cannot win them all".

Stuck with ever since and I'm all good when i mess up techy stuff now.

mtbr member
    I had started riding in April. Fast forward to August, it was 100 degrees and East Coast humidity. I cleared this long technical climb. Little did I know, two guys ahead of me ended up walking most of it and were trying to catch their breath at the top. They watched as I made my ascent. When I reached the top and saw them, I nodded hello and kept on going. I heard one guy say to the other, "There goes a real mountain biker". Still one of the proudest moments of my life.

Killer b.

Way back in the day.

About 15 years ago I did my first downhill race. It was just a mown strip of grass down a hill on a farm. The farmer was there watching all the riders come down, and since it was just a small club event, there were plenty of very newbish riders on the course. Near the bottom you'd come off a high speed straight into an off camber corner with a small drop in the middle. If you got on the brakes right there you'd drop off the side of the trail and plummet down into a little gully that you had to push your bike out of. This farmer seemed to have worked this out, since when every rider approached he'd start yelling out "Brake now!!!! Front brake!!! Now the back!!!" I think about a third of the field followed his advice and ended up in the bottom of the gully. What a hoot!
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
    On the Kokopelli/Porcupine ride I ended up leapfrogging, then joining a group of guys and at one point, and I don't even remember what was going on, I think I'd just said something, one of the guys turned to the others and tilted his head in my direction and said "I like this one."
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    about a month ago a buddy and I were resting at the top of a hill as we are both just getting back into the sport

group of "old" guys come riding up the hill and one looks at us and says "nothing at the top but some damn kids taking a break" with a big grin on his face.

made me laugh pretty good.
    Brian <---- that would be me.

SHIFT_life

The White Jeff W
    Bombing down a hill I jump a water bar near the bottom in sight of about 12 kids & a couple adults, land it perfect & keep on rolling. "Whoa! Cool"!

Just went otb and I'm riding up a pretty steep hill with a stream of blood coming down my leg. At the top is two hikers starting down the hill (In the preferred line, of course). Says he... "That's the cool thing about coming down here. You get to see these nuts on their bikes". Made me smile even though I had to ride up the worst part of the trail.

Cyclist of Borg
    This comment was not said to me, but was about me.
    i was out for a road ride [charles river, boston] on my Jekyll. There is a pedestrian bridge going over a 2 lane road. it has 30 or so stairs with flats every 5 stairs. i just love to blow peoples mind and scream down them. one day as i was bombing down there was a guy with his daughter on her little pink bike.. he stops to watch and i bomb by lock the rear into a 90 degree turn [on pavement] and the daughter says
    "daddy that was really cool"
    as i road away i was thinking i created a new lizard

i always get chics in cars relling me i have nice buns, ass etc as i commute

Don't worry, be happy!
    I was at the LBS buying my new bike, a Stumpy FSR expert, this fall. I mention to one of the shop rats that it was a b-day present for myself. "how old are you going to be" he asks. "47" is the answer. "NO Way, you can't be over 40" Hee hee, considering I have kids his age... that really made my day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    A month or so ago, my girlfriend and I were on our road bikes, casually trying to catch a couple of riders ahead of us. As we approached a steep hill, the other guys were maybe 1/4 mile ahead of us. My girlfriend bet me I couldn't catch them by the top of the hill. Being easy, I dropped it in the big ring and gunned it. I was just within earshot when I heard one guy warn to the other, "Car back!"

We all had a good laugh as I passed them and they realized that I was the car.

jb

Central IL
    May 2008
    At the time, I had been riding awhile, but hadn't been brave enough to join up with the local club on any of their rides because I wasn't sure how my skill level or pace would compare to theirs. I knew a couple of the active members from workdays I had helped with so when I saw them getting ready to go out to set up the course before a race I decided I could try to tag along and see how it went. So after we get done setting up the course I'm following an older and much more experienced rider back through the course and having a great time now that we aren't stopping every other minute to put up tape or move this or that for the race. We've been flowing through some single track for quite awhile and I'm feeling great that I'm keeping up with him, although he of course has no idea that I'm on a personal-prove-myself ride, he's just taking a moderate pace back through the course to the parking lot probably not even thinking about the ride.

Anyway, all of a sudden right in front of me he gets lifted up off of his bike and hangs there in the middle of the trail for a second before coming back down to the ground. It looked really unnatural like he had somehow defied physics and I exclaim "Holy crap! The hand of god just reached down and picked you up!"

Turns out what really happened is he had just passed under a medium sized dead tree that was leaning over the trail and he had bobbed back up too early. The top loop on his camelbak had perfectly caught on the stump of a branch sticking out of the tree and he had been lifted off of his bike and hung by his camelbak until his momentum swung him back and it released, dropping him back to the ground. In addition to looking totally freaky it made me realize how well made the Camelbaks are, though....if they can act essentially as a harness for a 200 lb guy!

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Not mountain biking but on my road bike..

Tried my skill in my first road bike race a few weeks ago.. After the day is over and my 2 races are done I'm taking a cool down loop. I'm cruising along and this guy comes up behind me as we start to climb the hill. I saw him race earlier and we had chatted a little. I tell him good job and such.

He looks over, says thanks and tells me if I hadn't told him earlier it was my first time ever racing he wouldn't have guessed it. He would have just thought I was out of shape. hahahha. Personally I think this was an awesome compliment because racing in a pack isn't exactly something I get practice doing.

So I patted myself on the back a bit afterwards!
    ~ it's all good ~

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Racing in a pack looks really difficult

Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    Not mountain biking but on my road bike..

Tried my skill in my first road bike race a few weeks ago.. After the day is over and my 2 races are done I'm taking a cool down loop. I'm cruising along and this guy comes up behind me as we start to climb the hill. I saw him race earlier and we had chatted a little. I tell him good job and such.

He looks over, says thanks and tells me if I hadn't told him earlier it was my first time ever racing he wouldn't have guessed it. He would have just thought I was out of shape. hahahha. Personally I think this was an awesome compliment because racing in a pack isn't exactly something I get practice doing.

So I patted myself on the back a bit afterwards!
    Even if you're in shape that first time in a pack must be spooky. I see a combination of factors going on: how many others in the pack are new like you; the spacing that any rider feels comfortable with, regardless of his experience level; your wanting to touch your brakes every now and then and the reaction of the rider behind you...it looks really tricky to me. It's cool you did so well your first time.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Even if you're in shape that first time in a pack must be spooky. I see a combination of factors going on: how many others in the pack are new like you; the spacing that any rider feels comfortable with, regardless of his experience level; your wanting to touch your brakes every now and then and the reaction of the rider behind you...it looks really tricky to me. It's cool you did so well your first time.
    I was only nervous once. And its because a guy locked up his brakes around a hairpin.. Right in the first corner at the beginning of the race. He was right in front of me and I only saved my arse because of my mountain bike skills.. My front wheel balancing act saved the day!

I actually loved the elbow to elbow feeling. What a rush!
    ~ it's all good ~

mtbr member
    [hippy voice] Hey this is Berkeley conservation land and your not supposed to riding your bikes here [/hippy voice]

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    a couple of sassy black girls started whistling, and one said,..." mmm, you kinda tasty for a white boy!"!

HaHa Thats the greatest. That is when you should have dropped it like its hot!

mtbr member
    'Get a car!'

Alien Surf Team
    "Hi"

As said by a smokin-hot, friendly young lady just yesterday. I'll be going back there every day for the rest of my life.

I'm a "she".
    "You are a good rider."

Man, did I get him totally completely fooled!
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    "hey, thats my bike!!!" (jj)

"you ride your bike up there???" said to me by a relative, who was familiar with the local fr/dh being there, but not what they were like, and that people who went there must be crazy, and i was one of those people.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Most quotes relate to ego *yawn*

How about some words of wisdom or insight that you have heard from people that you ride with/ meet out there on the trails?

... go on.... dig deep.. i know that you can do it

I'm a "she".
    You are right. I'm guilty. I feel ashamed. So, I dug deep...

I'm grinding up a steep fire road, nose almost touching the stem. Here comes Skyline35, riding back to check on the riders in the back as he's been doing whole day, "Smile!" I don't want to let him down, so I squeeze a smile on to my face. Suddenly, the climb becomes more bearable.

There you have it. Smile when you are out riding.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    words of wisdom
    This was not said to me: I was going the other way when a line of a dozen, or more, riders was entering this stretch of trail that is strewn with fist to head sized rocks (and a few bigger ones). Somebody stalled in the first 5 meters.

A woman's voice: "Close your eyes and pedal harder!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

We've come full circle

Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    You are right. I'm guilty. I feel ashamed. So, I dug deep...

I'm grinding up a steep fire road, nose almost touching the stem. Here comes Skyline35, riding back to check on the riders in the back as he's been doing whole day, "Smile!" I don't want to let him down, so I squeeze a smile on to my face. Suddenly, the climb becomes more bearable.

There you have it. Smile when you are out riding.
    That was essentially the message I got from a rider on the first post of this thread.

The White Jeff W
    This afternoon I'm picking my way down a pretty gnarly rock garden. It's only my second ride on the new bike so I'm a little tentative as this section has thrown me before.

About 1/2 way down I spot three black guys around 20 or so hiking up the hill. As I approach they move aside to let me pass. I say "you're waiting to watch me crash, aren't you?" They laugh, except one guy..."Naw dawg, you can't be afraid of it. Now get your foot on the pedal, get the f--k off the brake & ride that motherf--ker down the hill!"

I laughed as I passed but did as he said. 'There ya go!'

I stopped at the bottom..."Hey! Thanks!"

canuck
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    "You are a good rider."

Man, did I get him totally completely fooled!
    sweet!

mine was

wow, I thought that was a cliff and then you flew off of it.

and then I said, so did I.

I'm so cool

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I like that story

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    This afternoon I'm picking my way down a pretty gnarly rock garden. It's only my second ride on the new bike so I'm a little tentative as this section has thrown me before.

About 1/2 way down I spot three black guys around 20 or so hiking up the hill. As I approach they move aside to let me pass. I say "you're waiting to watch me crash, aren't you?" They laugh, except one guy..."Naw dawg, you can't be afraid of it. Now get your foot on the pedal, get the f--k off the brake & ride that motherf--ker down the hill!"

I laughed as I passed but did as he said. 'There ya go!'

I stopped at the bottom..."Hey! Thanks!"
    I wonder if that guy rode?

The White Jeff W
    I think so. As I got out of earshot I could hear him say to one of his friends something about how he does it.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    this is my first year mountain biking.but so far the best line i heard was! have a day,rubber side down
    remember wherever you go, there you are !

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ok, so this isn't the coolest thing ever said, but it is kind of funny...

I was passing this guy on a climb, and he had a huge brown beard, and I said, "hey, did I see you in Forest Gump" (reffering to Forest when he runs across the country cause his beard looked just like it)

and the guy gets a little sore looking which I didn't mean it badly at all...

and he say's, "didn't I see you in "dumb and dumber"?

pretty quick response I thought...lol

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My insurance agent when talking to her about adding my new Cannondale Rush 4 to my policy: "so wait is this receipt for a bicycle or a motorcycle?"

Me: "a bike that you pedel"

her: "let me get this straight, you spent $3K on a cycle with no motor correct?"

me: "yes"

her: "you realize this will all go away when you get a girlfriend correct?"

me: "thats why I just date strippers" Thats when i got the death stare

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisR32
    My insurance agent when talking to her about adding my new Cannondale Rush 4 to my policy: "so wait is this receipt for a bicycle or a motorcycle?"

Me: "a bike that you pedel"

her: "let me get this straight, you spent $3K on a cycle with no motor correct?"

me: "yes"

her: "you realize this will all go away when you get a girlfriend correct?"

me: "thats why I just date strippers" Thats when i got the death stare
    thats great

thats kinda like what my parrents did when i said i was gonna spend 1k on a bike lol

my dad didnt have a bike till college my fam grew up really poor
    giant stp!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Maybe 15 years ago about a dozen of us on a ride were adjacent to a camping/picnic site droping into the next section of trail. It was fairly technical with the rocks and steep enough that you can't see the trail until you are right at the edge of it.

As we all are just rolling in one after another I hear a guy in the camping area say "This is just like watching Wide World of Sports."

Austin, Texas
    Jul 2007
    "I wish my mom rode like that."

Now I know this can be mis-construed, but I took it at face value.

Singletrack Slayer
    This was probably the nicest thing I've been told in a group ride.
    "You made it across THAT?, Wish I was young again" Said the man in front of me, whom had fallen and was now pointing at the man behind me, struggling across a rock garden for crossing a stream. The funniest thing that was said to me was by a man just finishing the last part of a downhill, as my friend and I were sarting it. "It's over already?!?!?"

mtbr member

up stairstep...gnarly

From a fellow biker who was talking into his cellphone as I rode past: "Some guy's riding UP Stairstep! Gnarly!"

Shapeshifter
    About 1/2 way around my normal Denver loop, I saw a little kid in Bear Vally Park. He had streamers on his handlebars and he was rocking and weaving like a TDF sprinter - at a walking pace. He's screaming at me at the top of his lungs so I pull off the headphones.

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!"

I said " you rock" gave him a thumbs up, and cruised along. Three seconds later, I realized he was taking his 1st ride and it made me feel so good. Of course I saw his dad about a block away, grinning ear to ear so I said.

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!" and waived my arms.

He laughed.

HTFU and Ride
    In my first race ever i was behind a guy on a beautiful brand new Stumpjumper. He was racing in a class that started a while in front of me and we were just chatting as I waited for a safe place to pass. So we are grinding up a longish climb and he lets me go by and sees my bike and says "What the HELL! You are on a singlespeed!" I just laughed and kept riding.
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Great first post

Quote Originally Posted by Kreature
    From a fellow biker who was talking into his cellphone as I rode past: "Some guy's riding UP Stairstep! Gnarly!"
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I'm looking forward to reading 100 more new cool things said. Let's hear 'em.

responsible zombie owner
    "You're first".

Admittedly, I was the only person in the race who actually rides a lot but this was a sweet moment because I thought I was 4th or 5th. Turned out the other riders ahead of me were race marshals who had gone up ahead and then pulled up to line the course en route. During the race I was wondering where on Earth they had got to.

Otherwise I don't hear much on the trails because I'm out on my own...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Back in April, I just completed the Ouachita Challenge and there are a bunch or riders sitting at the finish line cheering you on as you approach, good feeling!! After I crossed the line and was riding through the parking lot a guy hands me a fat tire ale and says "not to bad for a fat kid". I just lost it in laughter, which was what I needed at that point. I'm 35 years old and overweight, so the skinny twenty-something made it even better.
    Last edited by gasiorv; 07-25-2008 at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member
    I just started riding again this year after a few years off. Got a new guy in my office who rides, so we have been hitting the trails after work. He's 26 and in decent shape. I am 40 and on the chunky side. After one of our first rides, we met up with some friends for beers.

They asked who was faster. I told them he smokes me on the downhills. He replied, "Yeah, but you always pass me on the uphills". Sweet.

mtbr member
    Riding around my usual area with a friend i see this older guy coming up quite a challenging section....
    Seeing him before and knowing that hes quite an interesting rider i go
    CMON BAG IT!

he looks up and responds

Hey F*CK you!

At the top im like good job...rigid and singlespeed....
    and he was 46 years old my senior
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Not on the trail but...

There's a very old guy that I see riding all the time. Bib overalls, first bike helmet ever made, and rides just fast enough to stay upright. But it's cool that he's riding.

So I'm riding with my kid up to the store, and the kid wants to cross the street and go in the store solo. I'm hanging out across the street waiting for him and here comes the very old guy. I say howdy and he says, "You're not going to get your cardio just sitting there."
    11 Flint
    08 Monocog Flight
    06 X-Caliber
    96 F400 (SS townie)

08 Schwinn Sierra TDM (gravel tandem)

I like bikes!

Not exactly ON the trail but....

I was out with my 5 year old niece working with her on riding without her training wheels. The inevitable happens and she falls down. After she gets back up, I say, "It's OK, falling is part of biking..." and she gets back to practicing...

The next day, I am out with my wife while she is on a run, and she stops in front of me...and I am new to clips, and down I go...

When I get back to the house, with some nice road rash, my niece promptly parrots back, "It's OK Uncle, falling is part of biking....". "Yes dear." and a big smile was the only answer I could give...

Killer b.
    When I was a much younger rider, back in the days when even front shocks were still a novelty, I use to hear "Man, you must have a death wish!" on a regular basis. Made me feel good.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Dented n' Spent
    I'm so amazed this thread is still alive... mines kinda boring.

In about 1988, my friend and I were riding our usual stomping ground in the Crafton Hills above Redlands CA when we met this woman riding solo. She said: "Hey, you guys wanna see some cool-single track downhill?"

Of course we did and it was great. We always looked for her up there but never again saw her. But we remembered her name and forevermore called the trail "Judy".

So I was stoked when last year I saw that her name has been immortalized with that trail:

http://www.socalmtb.com/socal/trails...m?list=reviews
    What kind of bike?​ I don'​t know,​ I'm not a bike scien​tist.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    oat hill mine trail 1996 or 97, one of my riding buds was a former flat track racer he was fast on a bike and fearless, oat hill 5 mile down hill about 1/2 way down there was a really sketchy section, i was eating his dust as usual when i came upon him at that section on the ground really dazed bike off the side of the trail, chris you all right? what happened?
    his reply"i thought i could clear the rocks"
    keep in mind he was on a klein hardtail and the rock section was about 20 yards long
    that day was the first and only time i beat him to the bottom

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just started mountain biking a few months ago and i considered myself in pretty good shape until i rode the first time and just couldnt keep up with anyone.

A few weeks ago i go to ride with a bike team out on a pretty serious trail. I try my best to keep up but of course i am pulling up last at the meetup spots every time.

The meetup spots are usually really hard climbs or log rides so everyone can watch everyone, now me being last everyone is watching every time and me being a noob i cant do much.

On one such climb , and a pretty gnarly one i make it about 5 feet up before stalling and leaning on a tree. I hear from the top of the climb from somewhere in the pack of 20 or so bikers "hey, the fat guy made it that far!" (im 6 foot 1 and 155 pounds) ...so i laugh thinking hes kidding and then a really chunky guy in the back that i didnt see pipes up "i made it farther then that!"

Later on as i am riding i start talking to one of the guys and come to find out they ride 5 days a week. The "fat guy" has legs the size of a small tree.

I dont think i wil be riding with them for some time...

I like Monkeys
    Caution Road bike content:

I was doing the Mountain Moma Road Ride (100 miles, 13,700 feet of climbing on my singlespeed a couple of weeks ago.

"Nobody's going to question your manhood!"
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    spandex roadie told me i could ride faster if i rode in the street

he yelled it out when he passed me

i was riding my front suspension single speed mountain bike with luggy tires on the sidewalk by the bengal's stadium

only cool because he was so clueless
    keep it pushin'

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks for bringing this thread back up

Everyone's got a story to tell. Yours ("I thought I was in shape till I started mountain biking") is familiar to all of us. Go back and ride with those guys, kick the fat guy's butt.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0