Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    " Dude, you rode today???!!!"
    " Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
    H.L. Mencken

mtbr member
    A few comments all within a minute.
    "You're the fastest rider I've ever seen"
    "You're the greatest mountain biker ever!"
    "How'd you get so awesome?"
    "You're the coolest!"
    "I love you mister mountain biker"

I had just blew away a pack of ultra hardcore racers in a race (8-10 year olds). They thought they were fast, but I was faster.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

Chilling out

In The Ego Building Flavor

.. at the end of a modestly spirited late afternoon / early evening ride with a certain other lady biker who posts here, we returned to the parking lot to see a gaggle of lady bikers getting ready for a night-ride, sequence went something like ...

BikerChik 1 - Hey Bear, how'se it going?
    BikerChik 2 - Hey, you know Bear too?
    <a couple of them togeter> - All the girls know Bear!

Sometimes, every now and then, things like this happen and make a guy feel really special.

EastBaySteez
    I was riding with one of my friends and we saw this old guy walking down a hill he stoped and said
    "Dude you got one nice bike!"
    Me: "how do you know that?"
    "Cause dude its shinny, shinny is always a sign of a good bike"

I was ridnig my x-mart XD
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

those are Rollercams...
    "Wow Daddy, you ride fast!!!" my 8 year old son on his first ride in the woods.

Suffice it to say, his post-ride score consisted of a Happy Meal, a new pair of BMX gloves and a new game for his Nintendo. The kid's got a great future ahead in politics or previously owned automobile sales.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

I'm SUCH a square....
    one morning after getting to work (bike commute--it's what i do), i had a manager ask me how long it took me to ride in, how far, and then tell me i needed to be racing -- i told him to give me a raise so i could! (my philosophy on the racing in my area is simple -- why spend $50 to go out in the woods and suffer, only to take home a $5 water bottle, when i can go out in the woods and suffer on my own for free!)
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    While stopped on a trail off the main bike path the wife says "pick up your bag off the ground". My bag was in my pocket. Made a nice ride even better...

it's not about the bike
    some guy asked me "are you single?"

I was flattered. He wasn't talking about the gears on my bike.

MTBR Demi-God
    "Dude that was a spectacular crash!" followed by a howl of laughter of 5 buddies...

I was told that after I tried to hit a 4 foot jump on my HT... kindda miscalculated, and crashed- bike landed 23feet away from me, my left shoe flew off somewhere, my helmet rolled around like a pinball, and I realized that I could do somesaults and backflips while flying, while screaming like a rocket engine... thankfully I didnt even get a scratch!

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I ran into a guy while riding my local trail. He was sorta new to the sport and 100% new to the area so after talking to him for a few min. I offered to show him a decent loop. He tagged along. Eventually we came up to a log pile and I went right over. The guy was so close on my wheel he didn't have any choice but to ride over it. I suddenly hear him hootin and hollerin behind me. I stop and go back..

"OMG thank you!! I never would have tried that if I weren't following you!"

It was a nice complement.. I didn't have the heart to tell the guy he needed to learn to ride further back and not suck someones wheel.
    ~ it's all good ~

Harrumph
    "OH F(*& THAT!"
    Exclaimed in a very Dane Cook manner by a guy on a nice dual suspension bike during a 12hr race. We were cranking up a steep climb and he stalled out in front of me. I was able to ride around, on the bad line, and continue on. His comment came when as I was riding away he realized the rider doggin' him (me) the past few miles was on a ridged fixed gear. I think I made the rest of the race fueled on ego alone
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    I ran into a guy while riding my local trail. He was sorta new to the sport and 100% new to the area so after talking to him for a few min. I offered to show him a decent loop. He tagged along. Eventually we came up to a log pile and I went right over. The guy was so close on my wheel he didn't have any choice but to ride over it. I suddenly hear him hootin and hollerin behind me. I stop and go back..

"OMG thank you!! I never would have tried that if I weren't following you!"

It was a nice complement.. I didn't have the heart to tell the guy he needed to learn to ride further back and not suck someones wheel.
    Now that is cool!

Old, slow and fat!
    Jan 2005
    Years ago riding at a ski place that shared the starting point with a golf course.

It's about 11:00 in the morning. We had done two laps and the end of the lap coming up to the office is a steep-ass grunt of a climb.

Two guys sitting in a golf cart. Guy in the passenger seat has the absolute biggest beer gut I have ever seen in my life. He is wearing a bright red golf shirt that is about sixteen sizes too small so it looks like he has a beach ball under his shirt. Looked pretty close to this http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopi.../beerbelly.jpg In his left hand he has a paper plate with two brats and chips. In is right hand is a beer and a cigarette.

As we grunt up the hill my buddy in front hears Shamoo comment: "All that work....for what?"

Steve
    Steve B
    S.E. Minnesota
    The Lurker-King!

Dabney Coleman
    Sep 2005
    My current favorite was said to me last summer as I rode with a buddy. We came up on and passed a couple big burly football-player types on new bikes. These two guys were both monsters, and I'm quite thin, chicken legs and all. They asked if they could ride with me and my buddy for a bit, and of course we said yes.
    After riding on a bit, we stopped at the end of a short steep climb, and waited for our new pals. The first one to the top stopped, flopped over red faced, and through his heavy breathing said, "How did you do that?"
    Awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Wink A bike named pokey.

Last fall, the wife and I dropped off the kid with my parents for the weekend, and got to spend a weekend riding some new trails. After messing around in a 'skills' area, we headed off for a loop of single track. After a few minutes on the trail, I noticed I had dropped my wife along the trail, so I stopped to wait for her. When she finally arrived the conversation went like this:

me: Did you fall?
    her: No, my bike molested me.
    me: What?
    her: On the first log pile I came off the seat, and when I came down the seat tried to get friendly. <pause> Twice...

Robert
    Last edited by harmanrk; 03-04-2007 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    "You look hot"

Some 30-something mother during the middle of a race said that to me. Not sure if she meant my face was ready b'c of the 80 degree weather and full face helmet, or my studly good looks.
    I rock out like Bon Jovi in some 80's jeans

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    I'm nothing special on a bike. Went riding with a lady-friend once. Said friend is one of the top XC racers in South Africa and is currently on our preliminary 2008 Olympic MTB squad. She completely destroys me on the climbs and as another friend of ours once put it when we were discussing her technical ability...."She's not fast for a girl, she's just plain fast!"

After some really fast, flowing, technical downhill singletrack i waited for her and was greeted with...."I HATE that you're faster than me on the downhills!"
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby

Coolest thing said to me:

"You got like three feet of air that time."
    Coolest thing said to me:

Dude! Its got shocks, pegs, lucky!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Just got back from a trip

My riding partner turned to me and said "we're back in Moab again!" Oh, yeah.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Spring 2005. I was at my local trail. While descending a trail, I rolled onto a group of hikers heading down the trail. They were kind enough to wave me through. As I passed, I raised my arm and said Thank You. Five minutes later (while I was talking to a group of riders) they came up to me and said hello. They were from Japan. We talked.... and talked. I was then asked to take their picture and to be part of their group picture.

I went along my way. I finished my Loop and decided to do one more- DH ROCK GARDEN little section. As I began the descent, I noticed 4 people in the middle of the trail. It was the Japanese group I had met earlier in the day. One of the people twisted their ankles "pretty BAD" on the rocks.

We walked the person to the bottom of the ROCK GARDEN. Due to the fact we were about 2 miles from their car and considering it was a a smooth, windy downhill the rest of the way- I GAVE MY BIKE TO THE INJURED PERSON so they could get back to the car in style. The injured person rode away.

I walked with the family back to their car. It was an amazing walk back. They called me an Angel, I was meant to be there etc. etc. etc..

We all learned a lot about friendship, brotherhood, community, I learned about a diffrent culture, they learned about a few places the may want to visit. It was an amazingly special couple of hours.

And YES, I did get my bike back!

mtbr member
    I've had a couple of comments that have stuck with me,

-at a local trail,on kind of a steep climb, just tryin to keep up with my buddies, this chick said to my freind "he's an animal" to which he responded "he's in the second ring too" made my afternoon.

-while descending a tight rocky switchback (with an audience) some guy said :you're graceful for a big guy" I thought that was pretty cool

None Of This Is Real
    "Hey, wait up," a few years ago on a long hill by guys on pimped out Trek 6000s (almost full XTR or X.9/X.0 and a Reba and Marz Corsas), with me on an '03 almost stock (almost full deore and XC Pilot) Tass.

Double-metric mtb man
    I took out the old Mercury that Sixty-Fiver presented me with at Christmas a week or two ago for a little ride. Not a long ride, just something to get the feel of the bike...but I decided to see what the big ring/small cog combo would do. Without much pedalling I was keeping pace with a car doing a little shy of 50 km/h... I got a couple of odd looks and then a thumbs up from the person in the passenger seat.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Love it! You kept pace with a car doing 50km/h. I would have given a thumbs up too.

mtbr member
    Mind if me and my kid ride with you?

Said kid was 5, and kept up!

Too damn cool.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

www.BluemaxxRacing.com
    Aug 2006
    A few weeks ago I was in the middle of a race where we had to complete 2 laps. My wife was waiting for me in the feed zone along with a throng of other help. As I approached, I yelled to my wife that I didn't need any more water and that I was fine. Turns out that I still had all of my drink bottle left and the course was mostly single track and very technical. Not much time to drink.

As I approached my wife, I could see she had a different look in her eyes. I started to reach for my water bottle and as I reached over for it, she reached out and gave me a smack on the A$$ that made that very loud perfect spanking sound upon contact. Many of the women were hooting and laughing, including my mother in law. By this time, I was just getting my first gulp of water when I heard some other woman yell out......"YEEAAHH.....SMACK THAT A$$, BABY"

I nearly choked on my gulp of water as I laughed all the way back into the single track. I still laugh when I hear that. I only wish I could have met the gal who said that. Too funny!

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Ahhhh ha ha. Thats great!
    ~ it's all good ~

Double-metric mtb man
    I don't know if it is something I could do for a long time and it was on an old roadie....but yeah. I just liked the fact that the old bike can move that fast.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Ride Responsibly
    "You just wait here while I ride back up and get your helmet"

something typed here
    Im riding a local downhill trail when I come up on this lady thats stopped in the trail. After I stop to ask if she's ok, she says

"So Im totally freaking out on this trail and then I turn around and here comes darth vader at mach 10 right at me!"

My buddies and I thought it was hilarious as I am all armored up, full face, and my bike and I are pretty much blacked out. I gave her directions to an easier trail and proceeded mach 10 on my death star.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    One of my buddies rode with us today for the first time since I started riding a singlespeed bike.

He said that he would like to ride behind me all the time, because watching me pedal in that slow and smooth motion gave him serenity. It was a "zen-like experience" for him.

Ali

mtbr member

coolest things said...

"cool bike" from a 14 year old downhill kid as he sat watching me pass him on the trail. (nice to be noticed by the younger generation).

"you ride downhill like a fat chick" from my riding buddy after a few serious descents. Took me a few moments to realise this was a compliment.
    The only person to get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Not sure whether i should think this was cool or that i should take offence, but here goes:-

Not long after buying a new house in a new area I also bought myself a custom build Cove Hustler. As i was taking it off my bike rack some kids of about 5-6 years old from across the road ran over.

Young kid - "Is that your bike?"

Me (feeling proud of the compliment sure to come next)- "Yep"

Young kid again - "it's sh1t!"

Then they all just turned around and walked away, leaving me with no comeback whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Lessons learned here:

Quote Originally Posted by Davidpurvis
    Not sure whether i should think this was cool or that i should take offence, but here goes:-

Not long after buying a new house in a new area I also bought myself a custom build Cove Hustler. As i was taking it off my bike rack some kids of about 5-6 years old from across the road ran over.

Young kid - "Is that your bike?"

Me (feeling proud of the compliment sure to come next)- "Yep"

Young kid again - "it's sh1t!"

Then they all just turned around and walked away, leaving me with no comeback whatsoever.
    1. Kids say the darndest things.
    2.What's it like having this kid as a neighbor?
    3. Probably the kid thought it was the coolest thing he could have said.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bought a new bike from this dude with a small shop on the side of a mountain. Was zipping around the parking lot (dirt) having a ball. First time in clipless pedals. I roll up to the dude, lock up the rear and go into a powerslide, forget to unclip and BAM, crash right there at his feet.

"I sell body armor, too." wuz all he said.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    1. Kids say the darndest things.
    2.What's it like having this kid as a neighbor?
    3. Probably the kid thought it was the coolest thing he could have said.
    To be fair, the kid is quite funny without meaning to be. After telling my girlfriend that i'd posted my story on here, she said he'd done almost the same thing to her when her dad was unloading our couch.

Kid "is that a new couch?"

Claire (who is a teacher of 4-9yr olds) "yes, it is"

Kid "well it doesn't look new..."

- factotum -
    Quote Originally Posted by Elno Lewis
    Bought a new bike from this dude with a small shop on the side of a mountain. Was zipping around the parking lot (dirt) having a ball. First time in clipless pedals. I roll up to the dude, lock up the rear and go into a powerslide, forget to unclip and BAM, crash right there at his feet.

"I sell body armor, too." wuz all he said.
    This is true wit!

Die trying, not watching.

Nice move ...

as I cleaned a ledgy drop on the Sovereign trail in Moab. The comment gave me such a boost in confidence that I rode my very best that day!
    Just get up again ...

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I'd laugh if a kid said something like that to me!
    ~ it's all good ~

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Did you just come down that...after a rocky descent below Cecret Lake in Alta, Utah.

mtbr member
    I was riding to the driving range downtown with my golf bag on my back and a guy at a red light simply said "Dude, make up your mind".

I laughed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

That's pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by golfduke
    I was riding to the driving range downtown with my golf bag on my back and a guy at a red light simply said "Dude, make up your mind".

I laughed.
    I laughed out loud when I read that. That guy could think pretty fast at a stoplight.

Built4Speed
    The usual stuff " Nice legs" or " nice Pop Eye Calves" or "I'll race you for the pink-slip" from a guy on a Harley Davidson who was next to me at a red light. I was motoring pretty good down Monterey Road.
    My wife always notices people staring at my legs when I wear cargo shorts,then they look down at look at their legs. My favorite moment tho;A sweet looking female class-mate/friend come up and felt my legs...in front of her new boyfriend.I never pitched a tent in public before.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemtbr
    The usual stuff " Nice legs" or " nice Pop Eye Calves" or "I'll race you for the pink-slip" from a guy on a Harley Davidson who was next to me at a red light. I was motoring pretty good down Monterey Road.
    My wife always notices people staring at my legs when I wear cargo shorts,then they look down at look at their legs. My favorite moment tho;A sweet looking female class-mate/friend come up and felt my legs...in front of her new boyfriend.I never pitched a tent in public before.

HaHaHa.. thats great... That BF prolly felt a little sad after that.
    ~ it's all good ~

Built4Speed
    A little upset.She also did it in front of his friends too. I've never heard so many guys say 'Daaammmmnnnnn!' at the same time.

I forgot to add when that biker wanted to race for the pink slip,I answered 'I hope you don't mind taking the bus'.
    Good thing He had a sense of humor.That happened the day after Sept 11th,01. We needed the laugh I guess.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Shameless post on this thread to pull it back to the top

Time to enjoy some new cool things said to you while biking this summer. Let's hear them.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

member: kv dirt daddies

cool sayings

I was riding on one of my local trails that goes along the river. There is an exposed hike-a-bike that is right next to the river. It basically goes up a cliff. There were some campers at the base of the cliff. One of them looked up and saw us. He pointed up at us and said," Hey look. There's the guys from the Mountain Dew commercials." I took it as a compliment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    For me a simple "Hi" and a smile speaks volumes nowadays.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rez
    At a ski area in NH. I showed up with the dog ready to do a couple of lift runs. I watched some "Joey's" from Boston getting ready on their 5" Huffy bikes. They looked at me and the dog and asked if the dog was coming. I told them, I ride the lift and the dog runs up the hill because she needs the exercise. Of course they believed me. So they take off ahead of me. Now I'm ready, the dog and I get on the lift. We are about quarter the way up when I see one of the "Joey's" come ripping over the top of a closed trial. Never the less he somehow comes down the hill on his front tire only with his private's stuck to the stem of the bike and the seat suck into his camel back. Yes, I can not understand why he didn't just bail but he managed to ride in that position for about 500 feet or more (on his private's). When he finally got off the bike his jean shorts were down to his ankles. The entire time he was performing this balancing act he was yelling “whoa ., whoa , oh my god” and so on. This seemed to go on forever. My dog actually looked at me in some sort of disbelieve. Now this is about when I heard the best comment ever. His friend who only witnessed his buddy dancing around his downed bike holding his nuts with his shorts around his ankles yells (in the best Boston ascent you have ever heard) “do it again I didn’t get to see it.”

I felt so bad. Not for him but for the fact that I didn’t have some sort of camera. Because right now I still laughing like it was yesterday. The only good thing that came out of this, is he probably is not going to be able to produce children.

Never the less by the time I got down the hill they were gone.
    never in my life have i seen more periods in a paragraph.

mtbr member
    "move over, lance"

mtbr member
    When I was at Mt Snow the other week and I was going down some singletrack when my buddy I was following went OTB. I stopped and asked if he was alright. He replied, " Yea the rocks softened the fall."

or

I found this funny, just happened today. I was riding with my friend who doesnt have a helmet yet, and he took a spill on some rocks, scratched himself up pretty good, covered in mud, clothes ripped, etc.

Fast forward about a 1/2 hour, we pass another rider and he says to my friend:

Rider: You really need a helmet.
    Friend: Yea I know.
    Rider: (looks my firned up and down) Apparently you dont know.

I laughed cause I always give my friends a hard time about not wearing a helmet.

negative nelly
    Aug 2004
    at mount snow this year, coming down a gravely/rocky road/trail, some teenage downhiller punks (i kid, i kid) said "wow, nice man, didn't know you could go so fast on a cross country bike". it's not often youngins think i do anything cool anymore.

when told my friend was following me on a hardtail: "wow, that must suck" followed by a look of shock

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I didn't hear this firsthand but on our last critical mass ride one of my best female friends had dropped back to chat with some other ladies...

Apparently, these ladies were quite happy to be riding where they were so they could check out the guy with the great legs.

Sometimes it's okay to be objectified...
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    I was completing the Soldier's Pass trail as it empties out next to Devil's Kitchen in Sedona... came down this rocky stairstep just as a Jeep full of tourists went by. Ten-year old kid in the back of the Jeep sees me and yells out "Woah, Dad! Did you see that guy come down those rocks???? Woah!"

Kinda made my day.

Hey, I can't impress people my own age, so I have to be content with impressing naive children.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

OK, getting to be end of riding season for some of us

I"m just bringing this thread back up so we can hear some of the things you've heard this summer. One thing I heard: I was visiting some non-biking relatives, wished I had my bike with me so I could explore this island they lived on. One of them turned to me and said "I have an old tandem bike in the garage. You could take that out if you want!" All I could picture was flat tires, rusted chain, no shifting...no thanks. I said "great offer but I'll pass". Fortunately their feelings weren't hurt and they just said, "that's cool". Whew, let me off the hook!

mtbr member
    "Did you guys really ride down that...YEah it's not too bad...wow thats cool, thanks for letting us watch you guys!" Said while in Sedona this weekend on Submarine rock dropping down the slickrock, by some beginner xc riders who appreciated the freeride scene.

Dirtmistress

While on a tandem

the standard phrase is " she's not pedaling!" Referring to the stoker. It is usually followed by peals of laughter from the person that said it. This time someone looked at me,the captain, and said very seriously; "someone's following you". That had me grinning ear to ear!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She used to clean the whole trail.

mtbr member
    I was riding up a canyon in snow, and some guys coming down said "wow, do you have studs in those tires?!' I said "no", then one said "we worship you in the name of studliness!"

mtbr member
    "You made that look easy!" and "No, you're not slow".

local trails rider
    We have this rocky but mainly flat piece of trail where people ride pretty regularly. It is quite ridable on a stiff HT but much easier and faster on a long travel FS.
    Usually I/we encounter somebody walking there too. They do not always say anything but they never fail to look surprised

mtbr member
    Climbing out of a rocky gully and avoiding High School students at the same time (they didn't want to yield the way) a girl said "wow you are amazing" ...
    A mountain, a lake, a trail, all waiting there...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I'm riding recently on a beautiful Colorado blue sky day

and I see a hiker coming up. I'm trying to spread the good will these days so I pull off way in front of him to let him eventually pass. I'm in no hurry. Dude seems lost in his thoughts. He gets close to me, looks up, gives me a big smile. "Sorry, I didn't see you. I would have stepped off the trail." Courtesy begets courtesy. Thanks for the thought, hiker.

is buachail foighneach me
    "GET THE F#CK OFF THE ROAD!!"

yelled out the vent windo of a lifted pickup truck by a kid not more than 8y/o, sitting between his parents. i waved and started laughing. he flipped me off. i wasn't offended at all, i actually thought it was all together hilarious. this was less than a mile into indiana on a trans-continental tour. i expected monster trucks being a friday just south of a major orv area(mounds), and was not let down, as i saw almost nothing but for the first half hour.

is buachail foighneach me
    oh, and later on in that tour, while in mexico. i was having a rough go of it. headwind, tired from the previous days century. on a rolling climb, on a ss. a delivery van for bimbo(mexican bread/pastrie brand) comes by, and once far enough ahead for me to see the driver, he hangs halfway out the window, pumps his fist in the air and yells, "FUEGO! FUEGO! FUEGO!" (fire! fire! fire!). amazingly enough, on the way back up baja 11 months later, same guy passes me in almost the same spot and does it again.

NICE KID...NICE

"I hope you boys have Quick Release seat post!"

A friend and I were shuttling a new Trail and we came out about 1 mile down to far past our pick up vehicle. There were 2 locals at this pick up spot loading up their bikes. I asked them where the spot was where our car was and one was nice enough to tell us that we were a mile off. Waiting a moment, hoping they would offer us a ride, the other local lovingly said...:" I hope you boys have Quick Release seat posts!" Ha HA. So, getting the picture, my friend and I started hiking up the road to the truck. Luckily, and I am not sure why, they only let us walk about 5 minutes before they picked us up and shuttled us to my truck....Thanks Downhill Dave ...whoever you are. Turns out he saved us about an hour and a half of hiking and several downhill runs.
    Last edited by wookie freeride; 11-10-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    "Have you considered 29" wheels?" (while on my 29er)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    "Have you considered 29" wheels?" (while on my 29er)
    By coolest, do you mean dumbest?

In that vein, a guy in the parking lot, looking at my Transition Bottle Rocket, which has a 16.5" seat tube, for the size large: "I've read that that bike has a short seat tube."

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    By coolest, do you mean dumbest?
    If the glove fits...

I give people like that a little extra leash...at my size, even my big wheels don't look so big.

mtbr member
    Last weekend, I was coming down Plymouth Mountain in Deer Creek Canyon and came to the top of the Wall of Shame. Stopped, contemplated whether I should walk down or ride the stairs, and even rode about two steps down. Then I could see a line and thought I'd just give it a shot. A group of ladies down at the bottom saw me and got all excited and yelled up, "Are you gonna make it? Can we take pictures?" I shouted back down, "I don't know, you might get some nice carnage shots!" Started down the rocks, had to dab a few times but never bailed, and rode it down rather well (I thought). Lady at the bottom had a few pics of me coming down on her camera, so I gave her my email address and she put it in her phone. ***** still hasn't emailed me those photos but it was still pretty neat.
    - Brian
    '07 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er - stock
    '99 Giant Iguana SE
    '86 4Runner
    '86 SVO

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    3 hours ago...

"You could at least act tired"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaling pyrate
    Maybe I imagine it, but my favorite quote also comes from this video. It's Miles yelling "F#^% Me!" on his way down.

Basha Felika
    Policeman: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
    "Will you have nuts or a cigar, sir?" --an English soldier after Rourke's Drift

Aquaman

"watch This!!"

And something spectacular almost always follows

mtbr member
    I have seen many things while riding BUT my favorite story is the following! One late afternoon I was smokin down some single track in the Santa Clarita area of Southern California. I was enjoying the solo single track shredding experience when I spooked a rather large bob cat! His head was the size of a Volley ball! Well I was going downhill..he saw me & turned & ran down the trail also..so I just kept bombing thing surely he is going to just skat of the trail & dart into some bushes! Well he had to have run daown that trail 150 yards...I mean it was a LONG time & I started wondering why this guy just doesn't take cover. Well he eventually ran up a tree that was angled just right for him to get abot 10 feet off the graound 3 feet over off the trail! He went up stopped & turned to look at me!

WOW now I had to stop! I was in a real testy spot because I am facing down hill, is now in charge of the trail & I know he can easily chase me down since we were both going downhill & I know I can't hammer up single track as fast as a bobcat can chase me! Well that is when I sow how stinkin big his head/he was! He was staring at me & ! was only about 20 feet away!

That is when I remembered you are not supposed to look a predator in the eyes! I decided that my only choice was to charge him because I had to go that way anyway to get home! I just went for it...he jumped out of the tree..scated down the trail & it came to another trail about another 30 yards down the traol...he went that way & I went the other!

I also remeber coming down a section of the Mt. Wilson Fire Road over 15 years ago at about 11:00 in the morning on a weekday! I came around the corner at about 30 mph & spooked a HUGE MULE DEER laying in the road sunning himself...that guy powerfully jammed up the side of the mountain that I didn't think anything could climb!

Another time on a late evening just as it was getting dark ride I to a tight switch back single track section & spooked a huge SKUNK!.....no problems with that though!

And finally one Saturday morning I was leading about 4-5 guys down some single track on a trail called 5 Deer...well I came upon a very stealthy hunter in camo...kinda just off the trail...that was erie cause he was standing there kinda like a he was at attention off the trail on the upside...weird!

I'm sure I can think of others....the odd ones are the night rides when you point your light off of the trail & you get the "predator type" eyes staring back at you & slowley blinking & YOU ARE ALL ALONE!!! AND you have personally seen a mountain lion in the same area months before! .....then you scope the area the eyes disappear & then reappear blinking at you again!. ...yeoser!...heh-heh. ..don't matter go back...what are the odds anyway & besides MTB'NG is the GREATEST SPORT AROUND!!

squish is good
    Favorite quote by a NewB:

"Whoa, you rode a downhill rig up that climb!?" - enthusiastically proclaimed by a dude on a specialized rockhopper after a mild singletrack climb. He was riding with flats and his Abercrombie Fitch shorts and a cotton T-shirt.

I was riding a Giant Reign, as many of you know is not exactly a downhill rig, but this guy seemed to think I was superman for pedaling a dual suspension rig up the last hill.

Coolest thing ever said to me:

Me to the Equestrian at the trailhead: "Hi there, where you headed?"

Equestrian: "Just up this trail here, trying to get my horse used to the woods."

Me: "Oh, we were going to shuttle up to the top and ride down, this is a pretty heavily traveled downhill trail for bikes and motos, is your horse cool with us coming downhill fast?"

Equestrian: "You guys just have fun, I'll handle the horse."

Sure enough, we were bombing the hill (with care considering the trailhead encounter) and she pulled the horse off the trail and enthusiastically urged us to go by. I've never met an Equestrian who was so curteous and generally freindly, especially when I was riding with my Downhill posse.

mtbr member

after a race

this guy who thought he was a hot shot, showing eveybody his xtr studded bike looked at my 29 singlespeed and said "i have that bike, but i did not want to ride it on this course". it made me feel better about my first sport race that i finished middle of the pack.

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie freeride
    A friend and I were shuttling a new Trail and we came out about 1 mile down to far past our pick up vehicle. There were 2 locals at this pick up spot loading up their bikes. I asked them where the spot was where our car was and one was nice enough to tell us that we were a mile off. Waiting a moment, hoping they would offer us a ride, the other local lovingly said...:" I hope you boys have Quick Release seat posts!" Ha HA. So, getting the picture, my friend and I started hiking up the road to the truck. Luckily, and I am not sure why, they only let us walk about 5 minutes before they picked us up and shuttled us to my truck....Thanks Downhill Dave ...whoever you are. Turns out he saved us about an hour and a half of hiking and several downhill runs.

yes.... that day I had a very bad first impression of "Downhill Dave",... "hope you boys have quick release seatposts..... dick... But he did save us hours of walking.., with a little fake out. I probabily would have quit riding a bike that day.....

Everyone Bleeds!

"You're on fire, Dude"

So I'm on a somewhat long climb, steep in parts and very rocky. I see a group of 7 or 8 hikers (m/f and in their 40-50's) up ahead. As I'm approaching them they stop in a wide spot and turn to watch me as I climb and move aside to allow me to pass. As I am riding past them a woman, possibly in her late 40's or early 50's, leans in towards me and say's "You're on fire, Dude" I smiled, said thanks and kept climbing.

Tn Rider
    Oct 2007
    SHOWOFF!!!
    I heard this a couple of times as I nearing the top of a 16+ mile climb on a trail that most ride a shuttle to the top and ride down, nothing technical but 16 miles non stop climbing is a gut buster! It makes the downhill ride more rewarding.

Ancient Winged Rider
    Back in the 70's me and my buddies used to ride down to the lake on our bikes. Back then Tennis shorts were the thing to wear. Anyway we get there and I started to talk to some nice looking chicks in bikinis. I proceeded to get me and my friends hooked up for dates. This other dude comes up to me and says, "Man you are a stud" and I felt so cool until my other friend says " Dude your balls are hanging out of your shorts"...

Retro on Steroids
    Yesterday I went on a ride that ended up taking longer than we had estimated, and one of our group had to get back for an obligation. We rode the last ten miles on the main road in a pace line, but we slowed up when we rode through a tiny burg about seven miles from our target.

There were about a dozen riders in matching jerseys standing in a parking lot, obviously just done with a ride. One of them recognized the rider in front of me, and called out a greeting. Then someone said, "Is that [Repack Rider]?" And the whole group cheered.

Nice to have friends.

About two weeks ago I rode past a pair of hikers, and one turned around and said, "Is that Gary Fisher?" I sport a full beard, and I do not look anything like Gary Fisher.

flying fatass
    "Hi"
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    Should your balls sit in front of the saddle or on the saddle? Im a bit confused.

mtbr member
    "Are you eating a ketchup packet"

Said by a guy I work with catching me eating a gel before riding my bike home from work the other day. I laughed about it the entire 13 miles home. He was dead serious.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    When passing a guy on a full geared bike, I heard him mutter.

"Dude, I'm getting dropped by a girl on a singlespeed."

mtbr member
    Hearing someone laugh and say "Holey sh1t! you climbed up here on that?" at the top of Moore Fun in Fruita, while I was on a big freeride bike about 4 years ago.

It was Travis Brown, he was even more impressed when I said I cleaned the climb without stopping. That being said, he was on a single speed which impressed me...

Another one said to a friend of mine by a couple of little kids as he rode past them up a hill;
    "Faster, Old Man, faster!!".
    He was 37 at the time and was proud of his youthful looks, the best part was that his girlfriend over heard them and has never let him live it down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    "wicked climb girl! SS too!, oh, you're a dude." "all the pink threw me off"

during 24-9

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    "You must be very brave"

"whoa"

I get this a lot when i am going down hill on a mountain that people are barely hiking up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    "Is that a bar end in your pocket or are you just happy to see me". - Said to me when I was making out with some random gal on a singletrack.

Gnarley!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by giant24niner
    "Is that a bar end in your pocket or are you just happy to see me". - Said to me when I was making out with some random gal on a singletrack.
    Really?? Explain!
    "I saw a guy crapping on the side of a very busy trail"
    -Unkownrash

-08 Yeti 575

I'm geoff. Who are you?
    Jun 2007
    It was my first time off road - downhilling the state championship trail here. Dont ask me what made me do that....

Anyway, meet this bunch of kids my age. They say they'd been riding for about 18 months and they'd seen me come down most of the trail. We finally got to the top again, to ride as a group, and they said "You go first - you're fastest".

They saw my first run, first time off road. That was a HUGE confidence boost.

Crash Test Dummy
    On my MTB passing a roadie on a paved loop in a local park, I heard him mutter, "f@ck!" Then he drafted me for a few miles! I saw him a couple days later on the same trail and he shouted, "you again? F@ck!"
    It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care

brainwashed jingoist
    "F***K YOU!" yelled an irate driver while passing me as I was on my road bike

"Hey, your fork is broken!!!" In reference to my Lefty fork.
    Love is the answer - but while you're waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty interesting questions.

Front Range XC

Lookout Mountain

After moving to Golden, Colorado from Chicagoland where I was used to motorists honking at cyclists to startle us, scaring you by purposely driving too close, and of course verbal insults, I was riding up Lookout Mountain on my road bike. I was really pushing myself and I guess it showed. So I'm suffering and sweating when an SUV passes me from behind and suddenly slows. Its full of teenage boys. I think, "Oh boy here we go..." I see hands and heads start to come out the windows. I haven't slowed my effort but I'm waiting for coke cans to start flying toward me. Instead suddenly I see five smiling kids holding their thumbs up yelling, "Good job!". I was awestruck and shocked in the best way.

Marc

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I live on the Front Range as well

Quote Originally Posted by mcdelroy
    After moving to Golden, Colorado from Chicagoland where I was used to motorists honking at cyclists to startle us, scaring you by purposely driving too close, and of course verbal insults, I was riding up Lookout Mountain on my road bike. I was really pushing myself and I guess it showed. So I'm suffering and sweating when an SUV passes me from behind and suddenly slows. Its full of teenage boys. I think, "Oh boy here we go..." I see hands and heads start to come out the windows. I haven't slowed my effort but I'm waiting for coke cans to start flying toward me. Instead suddenly I see five smiling kids holding their thumbs up yelling, "Good job!". I was awestruck and shocked in the best way.

Marc
    and have had similar experiences on Lookout Mountain. You never expect it but it's cool when it happens.

pro
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    "You went across that?" after crossing maybe a 30' wide and 1' deep creek when its in the 30's outside.

Manual4ever
    "fsck, I never seen Paul wipe out yet" After hitting three doubles in a row, in November with snow covering the jumps, on hookworms.... smooth

Uit Nederland
    Just came to a straigh section on the trail and there were 5 kids messing with, I guess their dad's, John Deere Gator and they challenged me to a race, I start sprinting, the kid driver floors it, when he floors it one of the kids either jumped or fell off at which point the driver yells "get off guys you're weighing me down!", Future race car driver right there, and I was the first one to beat him...

mtbr member

Beware! That trail is impossible for mountain biking!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter.
    "hey dude, I like your mullet"..............for someone to say that and mean it, just warms me to the bottom of my pea pickin little heart
    Here in Peru people from the Andes are not used to see mountain bikers with their bikes on the trails. Most of the trails on the Andes are for downhill with a lot of rock steps, narrow sections, medium size drops and so on.

These people think that we are crazy and we are putting our lives in risk of death.

When we go to explore some cool areas on the Andes of Peru, we usually ask if the trail goes to a certain point we check on the map. The answer we have always from the people of the Andes is "yes that trail goes to that town but, you are going with your bike?? no, no, no you are crazy, it's impossible to ride on these trail!"

Then I know it's a perfect trail for our mountain bikes! LOL

If you want to explore with us some trails, you are welcome!
    ride the best Inca trails in Peru: www.inkasadventures.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    "No way!" said by random cyclist I passed on steep paved section on the way out of Spokanes Riverside Park...

"'Bout time you found your line" from my riding buddy after I finally got my sh*t together one particularly irritating day.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    "Dude, you look like you just float over those rocks."

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0