Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38
    Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by moofish View Post
    Riding with a friend on the local trails. I was in front and stopped to wait for him. He rolls up and hands me a banana that fell out of my pack. He says " Its not fu....ing Mario cart you know!"
    Now that is a cool comment

High Desert MTBer
    Middle-aged hiker yesterday almost at the top of the Upper Javelina Trail (chunky, rocky, steeep...) in the Tortolitas near Tucson: "Man, that looks to be about the hardest thing I could ever imagine doing..." All I could manage as a reply was a snorting chuckle that probably sounded like a death rattle.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Shortly after my sixtieth birthday, I was riding the Cuyamaca loop in San Diego with a nice group. One of the younger guys said that I was an inspiration to him,and that he can now look forward to riding hard into his sixties! This made me happy.
    -Ride on,
    George
    George Wong

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    not a compliment, but the hilarity of it makes for a great quote. I took a nasty spill on a downhill section of trail, with 4 buddies lined up at the top to head down shortly after. I was on one side of the trail and the bike on the other. I was lying there trying to figure out if anything was broken, when one of my buddies at the top yells down....

"Dude, you ok?"

"yeah"

"Are you sure?"

"yeah, I'm alright"

"then get the hell out of my line!"

Everyone lost it, and all my pain went away I was laughing so hard!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    "wanna hit?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I recently relocated and I found a local to show me around a few trails, at one point he was waiting at the top of a short climb with a massive root at the top, when I cleaned it he told me, "No one makes that one the first try, you're legit SoCal". I replied, "I'm glad you didn't tell me that before I attempted it".

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ok, so I have this old ford van that is 3 different colors and has a piece of sheet metal where the glass in the sliding door used to be. I take it to the trail once in a while. All my friends have names for it: the creeper van, rape crate, free candy van, etc.
    One day after riding we all were sitting in the parking lot of the trailhead by my van, some guys just got off the trail and we were having a chat with them. After ending the conversation, one of the guys says "whoever's van that is, please keep it away from my kids". We were laughing for like 10 min. while they packed up and left.
    Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......... There are no "somedays"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I got 2 thumbs up and a cool from some Korean hikers last weekend after I bombed a nice section with 2 drops and a flight of stairs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Riding in the woods on the property of the local UC campus, I came upon 2 guys, student-looking types, who were scoping out a potential log ride. Still recovering from shoulder reconstruction surgery, I felt pretty good at 6 weeks out, so I made a snap decision in my6 mind to "show these kids how its done". I wheelied up onto the log and was pedaling along, when , WHAM! my front wheel slipped out and I hit the ground, faster than I could even realize, landing on that shoulder so hard that my humerus bone actually broke a couple of ribs. I just lay there for a few seconds, before one of the student, from behind me, said, "Uh, dude, ....don't move". I must have impacted the earth in a very impressive fashion...

Of course I did move, got up right away, and was pleased as punch that I could move my shoulder in all directions with no horrible sounds/pains resulting.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Riding the fat bikes on the snowmobile trail, a few sleds stopped and said "Where did you start", which was about 20km in the opposite direction. "You guys are either really crazy or really stupid' and they rode away. was way too funny of an experience.
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My 11 year old to me near the start of our first ride together in awhile: Big sigh, followed by "dad, it feels SO great to be out on the trails again!"

At the end of the ride: "dad, that was the best ride ever!"
    OVER the rocks, not around

Rock n' Roller
    On Monarch Crest last year, much joy was had by all.

Said to me by a group of lovely ladies that our group passed on the first climb...

"Why are you wearing flats...You're wearing flats?...I didn't know you could wear flats..."

Yes...actually. They are pretty awesome.

And, at the end of our ride, a lovely man that I had just met in our group that day, said, "You are officially the king of this mountain. You've earned it."

As our group was rather large, composed mostly of men I had never biked with before, and because I worked until 5 the night before, and the fact that the ride was the biggest thing I had attempted since my last knee surgery, I was nervous of being left behind, failing the group, etc. Whether it was true or not, his words made my first season back complete.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    "You just rode that on a cyclocross bike?!?!"

mtbr member
    mmmmm nice butt...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    So far it is "I was bonking on that last hill then I thought 'if that old guy can keep hammering I can keep hammering' and I kept riding." I must have been only half flattered by that guy because with 15 miles left on our Century I got out of the saddle and dropped him. Later, he rode up and apologized for calling me an "old guy" and I graciously accepted (after I guilted him into loading my bike on the roof rack). I was in a real poor mood after that ride and my back was killing me. Found out later that I had a crushed disc and that ride probably made it significantly worse quickly.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

I didn't do it
    I was grinding up a long, steep logging road for about 6 miles to a trailhead. The trail is fairly popular with hikers so you're going to get passed by a few cars on the way up. As a BMW passed, a couple young ladies yelled "you da man" and "you're kicking ass." Needless to say that gave me a little shot of energy to help me up the last couple miles.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Yielding Hiker: "Wow, that is AMAZING you can bike up this steep trail(@20% grade). How old are you, young man?"

Me: (panting) "I'm 50"

Yielding Hiker: "Wha-wha-whaaat?!?!?!(she almost lost her balance)"

Me: **Laughing Inside**
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mnoutain bkie rdier
    A large group of foreigners on rented mountain bikes were all walking their bikes up a local fire road. I don't even think they considered it rideable. Most of the group of maybe 12 riders were wearing jeans to give you an idea.

It was not difficult terrain by any means, yet when I passed them on my bike, I heard a bunch of happy shouting (sounded like Japanese?) and clapping for me. They were super impressed and happy to see what a mountain bike could do.

I looked back to smile and say "thanks!" and nearly half of them had mounted their bikes with new determination and excitement.

Made my day!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeWong View Post
    Shortly after my sixtieth birthday, I was riding the Cuyamaca loop in San Diego with a nice group. One of the younger guys said that I was an inspiration to him,and that he can now look forward to riding hard into his sixties! This made me happy.
    -Ride on,
    George
    Turned 60 last Nov. I don't see to many my age doing what I do. That makes ya feel good too. Congrats

mtbr member
    Hey Chief, thanks for the Congrats! I guess we should enjoy the ride, keep the rubber side down, and
    -Ride On!
    George
    George Wong

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    Turned 60 last Nov. I don't see to many my age doing what I do. That makes ya feel good too. Congrats
    I believe the real stats is more like LESS than 1%....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38