Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    involuntary dismounter
    i hocked a loogie on the trail and my bicking buddy's comment was:
    'a bunch of dudes in pick-ups within a 100 mile radius just got boners'.

what can i say...i'm a classy babe!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

3 "fiddy" for short
    This was not said to me but what in the hell is this guy thinking when the only thing that he can say to his buddy who is tied in knots is "can you walk"?

3 "fiddy" for short
    What would your comment be to this guy?

mtbr member
    "I like your little purple man", was once said to me while riding my fixie.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    "you are...a God..."

says my 15 year old nephew after leading the way down a particularly gnarly descent

Anytime. Anywhere.
    A few years ago in Sedona I round a corner to find a steep climb with a ledge, the kind where I figure I have about a 50/50 chance of making it, except I'm pretty tired at this point. To top it off there are about 10 older hikers at the top and they stand off to the side to watch. Great, I'm riding solo and now I have an audience. I get on the nose and concentrate, lift the front, push forward, clear the ledge, and then make it to the top. For this I got cheers and a round of applause.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

banned

Nothin' but Drew!

Said after I cleaned an uphill rock garden

life is a barrel o'fun
    When my friend's 6-year-old daughter came biking with me, and while biking around the neighborhood, she crashed.

As she untangled herself from the pile of pink streamers and Barbie flag, she stubbornly exclaimed, "You don't have to come help me just because I fell!" I tried not to chuckle while watching her gather herself together again.

This was just a few minutes after she shouted, "I like riding bumps!!" We spent about half an hour riding over a series of little bumps we found in the street so she obviously meant it.

The other day, as I kept pace next to a roadie during a climb in Central Park on my hardtail (and sneakers and full CamelBak), I said that I'd like a bike like his someday- innocuous chitchat. He replied, "You're doing pretty good on that thing." Hey, I'll take it!!
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

amar la vida de dos niner

"Hey, the water is cold today!"

From a guy running in only shoes and socks at a local trail that has several creek crossings.

In Texas.

In the summer.

Now broadcasting from CO

Marysville MTB weekend

Enurance race. I was on my 3rd or 4th out of 6 hours. I passed some guy who was gassed from the XC race. We rode together for a whileand I was like:

"Yeah I got a few more of these laps left. I'm just gonna conserve energy now."

He said:

"Holy ****!!! Your racing endurance!!! Jesus!!"

That made my day.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    From a guy running in only shoes and socks at a local trail that has several creek crossings.

In Texas.

In the summer.

And it's deep too!

I say that every time I piss off the Golden Gate.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Compliment...

Holy sh!t !

How old did you say you were?

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member

I was doing ok, until I got my foot stuck in my camelback

"I was doing ok, until I got my foot stuck in my camelback"
    Overheard as we were warming up for the expert race and a couple of beginner racers that had just finished their race passed us going the opposite direction.
    I always wanted to hear the rest of that story!

Old Fart
    "I'd almost forgotten how great this is; thanks for getting me back into it."

Said by a friend after I encouraged her to ride with me, thinking I could pick up some tips from her.

Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    "Are you a pro-rider"
    Most of my favorite clothes come thrift stores and I have a very cool bottle green T shirt with a "Schwinn Racing" logo on it. I've never owned a Schwinn and don't even know if they have a racing team but I like the shirt.

Recently I was wearing it on a plane when an elderly lady saw it. Her eyes lit up and she asked "Oh, do you race bikes?" Before I had a chance to explain that I couldn't keep up with the racers if they were all carrying cinder blocks, she sat down and proceeded to tell me all about her late husband who, in his day, had apparently been hot sh*t on the pro-circuit.

It was very, very neat.

mtbr member
    I started in on a longish technical descent with a random married couple I fell in with at the top of the trail. They were both on full squishies and getting after it pretty hard. A little ways into it, I passed the guy who was trailing off. I didn't have a prayer of passing the lady, but I tried to hang on for the fun of it. I managed to stay close enough to her that she'd been thinking I was her husband the whole time.

When she saw it was me she said, "Whoa, you're on a hardtail?!" I replied that I loved it too much to switch to FS. "Well, you'd be wicked fast if you did, man."

I've never been a real bomber, so it made my night.

slow
    First rider: "Cool - rigid!"
    Second rider: "whoa, and single!"

As I cleaned a particularly rocky, steep section of a local trail while a group on full squish gearys that couldn't clean it sat and rested.

mtbr member
    "That was a cool ride dad, when can we do it again?" from my kid the coolest comment has been "dude you're on a singlespeed!!!"

Here singlespeeds aren't that common and when people see one they're just amazed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

said....

'' i have never seen anyone clear that section before...''

this was from a gentleman that was showing us the trails they helped make and it was our first time on them.it was all of about 10 yards to the top but started with a 3 foot cliff that had to be gone over followed by a ledge of only about 2ft followed by a section of roots after that to the top.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Perhaps not the coolest, but the three that still make me laugh:

#3) "You sure you live around here? 'Cuz you don't seem to know f@ckin' sh!t about the trail..." - From a stranger after being told by yours truly that it was all downhill from here (for the fourth or fifth time).

#2) "Damn. I forgot my limes." -Unknown Canadian rider who produced a large water bottle full of gin and tonic during a trailside break.

#1) "Want some mint jelly leaves?" - Sara from Canaan Valley, after producing a bag of those funky green candies made by Brach's deep inside the Dolly Sods Northern Purchase area.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member

This past weekend

Just happened upon a 50 mile road race while camping in Wisconsin. Only had my 32lb FS mtb but a ride is a ride. Cruising up front early on, a gentleman thought he would point out the obvious by saying " You are going to have one hell of a workout on that thing!" He was right. Later on in the ride after climbing a VERY steep hill another gentleman had the audacity to say that I had the benefit of lower gearing making it easier, though he declined my offer to trade..

mtbr member
    "FLAT-LANDER, SHOWIN' US HOW IT'S DONE!!"

Said on my first ever ride in SoCal at Knottsberry Farm (I think) in San Diego after I rode a tech section on my Ti HT that one of my guides studied and determined he would do if he had his KHS DH bike him. Not bad from a guy from Missour-ah.

Buddy made a comment about me "surfing" one time that felt pretty cool.
    "Something Clever"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger
    Not sure about the coolest....but this was pretty funny.

Cruising down the trail, took a little off-shoot section to hit a rock jump. Didn't land so sweet, here I am sitting on the trail trying to collect my marbles.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsd4iP8_5Do

Stay on the trail!
    Hahahahah.... I love that video.

I wonder why?
    I got a good laugh out of this one.

My riding buddy was having dinner at a family gathering and he was sharing how tired he was after a pretty intense ride. His over-weight out of shape sister in-law chimes in when he finished his story with. "What's so difficult about mountain biking? All you have to do is pedal."

As they say, ignorance is bliss.

i1dry?

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Some gal said "nice calves" when I passed she and her friend and then said she wanted to follow me... very flattering. I guess I should have stopped, but I'm a dork.
    I read that on the internet.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast