Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    No one calls me Maurice.
    In my 40's I was cat 6ing a 20-something on a MTB (he was a roadie). At a stoplight, he said "You're keeping up pretty good on that thing" to which I replied "there's that plus I'm 43 so I'm slowing down a bit for that too." He replied "Man, I hope I'm that fast when I'm 33." Felt good at the moment, ultimately, he'll probably be faster.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Candlestick Maker
    Not the coolest, but a fun exchange with a couple hikers, which isn't always the case.

Nearing the top of a 1700 ft climb in about 3.5 miles, I pass two ladies taking a break on a bench. They stop their conversation and one says, "I'm impressed!"
    I reply with, "I'm exhausted!" and they just start cracking up.
    baker

Nat
    mtbr member
    Greg Lemond: "Is this the trail?"

Me: "Yes."

Greg Lemond:"Do you want to ride together?"

Me: "Yes!"

mtbr member
    My most motivating experience revolving around someone saying something to me...

Planning to go out for a ride with bro-in-law & father-in-law, they were taking me to a new trail (for me).

A couple of times they exclaimed how difficult the trail would be and that even good riders (i.e. majority of crew they do a mid week ride with) walk this particular trail.

Well, that was a red flag to a bull... I cleaned the lot ^^ trail was quite steep incline with a lot of rocky/technical features.

Thing that made me laugh (while I was waiting for in-laws to catch up), a female mtb'er breezed past the lot of us o_0

-----------------------------------------------------------
    'Yes! I'm an opinionated Mofo... Next question'.
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    "when do you actually pedal?" it was a real good day for just pumping the trail

mtbr member
    I just sharted.

Retro on Steroids
    "Can I have a photo with you? My friends would never believe me if I told them I met you out on a trail."

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post

Star struck and short for words, were ya?
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Clueless Bastard
    "Dude, you look hammered. You want half my sandwich?"

local trails rider
    Four young ladies (exchange students, I think) started clapping their hands when they saw me wrestling my bike up the first part of a mainly uphill trail that pretty much kills me by the time I get to the top.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Star struck and short for words, were ya?
    That I was.

No one calls me Maurice.

I'd probably have to confess that I sold my Lemond Buenos Aires and beg him to autograph whatever I was riding at the time or my jersey. Sort of like my son who has Jamal Charles' autograph on a Matt Cassel jersey.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    "Nice 6oo6s" ... Said to the lady who let me ride with her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    "Nice 6oo6s" ... Said to the lady who let me ride with her.
    You didn't!? 0_0

'Yes! I'm an opinionated Mofo... Next question'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    When I got into mountain biking it was with other couriers in the early 90's. One of them was a guy names Atlee. He was one of the fastest up and down. The guy that was half done his second cigarette by the time you got to the top of the mountain, and every descent began with a hoot.

One ride I'm grunting up a fire road in agony. Every cell in my body hurt. He passes me slowly, in obvious pain, and without taking his eyes off his front wheel mutters something under his breath:

In his best buffalo bill voice he says " it pushes the bike up the hill or it gets the hose again".

Still makes me laugh to this day on long hard climbs.

mtbr member
    Cool gopro.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I was called a badass twice this week.

mtbr member
    On a nasty uphill rock garden, 3 riders were coming down (so I just waited until they finished as they were in it already), then they stopped to catch their breath. I bombed up it and cleaned it and all I heard was "Wow - did you see that?"

Only if they knew I clean it like 3 out of 10 times!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Hiker: "God, I'd do anything to be 25 again!"
    Me: "I'm 51"
    Hiker: "wha-wha-whaaat?"
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

Rod
    mtbr member
    "My horse thinks you're a demon."

I got passed by a car full of college kids and they yelled something at me as they passed. I caught them at the trailhead when they were just getting out. I made up time on a gravel road. They were shocked that I caught them and just said, "It's you. Wow!"

Nothing was said, but I caught a minivan on the road bike and was drafting at 40-45 mph. A couple of kids just kept staring out the back window. They were shocked.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    There is a local trail that goes along a cliff right above a paved hike and bike. It's pretty technical with a high penalty for error if you fall to the right down the cliff. At the end of the trail there is a boulder you have to go around blind that leads directly onto a 5-6 inch wide section to a 45 degree roll down a boulder face onto a wooden ramp that curves down to the transition and flat land. There is a 10-15 foot drop on either side of the narrow section and the same on the boulder. I had seen a couple of older ladies watching me pick my way along the trail and then get off the bike and scope my route around the boulder and down it to the wooden feature. I got back on the bike, went around and down the boulder and back to the trail where they were waiting for me. They were two older Chinese ladies who thought what I was doing looked like fun. "That was like 45 degrees down! You Chinese grandma approved!" Drop the mike and walk off.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I was cleaning a pretty chunky climb near the Sedona airport. As I passed a large lady hiker she said "that's some man & a half riding right there"! I'll never forget it...

mtbr member
    Hammering up a climb one day, and the LBS owner told me, "You ride like LeMond." Proud moment, that.

Sneaker man
    usually something like "WOOOOOooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooo" coming from in front or behid on the trail
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

making someones day

scott 24hr last weekend, as a volunteer wasn't riding but was sitting in race hq watching the riders in transition and answering questions as they come along, the lady normally doing it had gone for a walk. When a young gentleman come up. Asks whats going on and I tell him. This is in Canberra Australia. He had come from West Australia (other side of the country) and had been Told MT Stromlo where the race was was a great place to ride, but the best trails where closed and another volunteer told him he had to go round the back of the mountain.
    In a fit of inspiration I made him a 'volunteer sweep rider' another lady volunteer about to go out on course and check for broken ppl took him under her wing to show him the course. Threw him a cool shirt and off he went.
    an hour later he was back. Told me he had the biggest smile on his face on the way down (look up skyline on youtube and you will see why https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MMCSrvJQNc
    ), found out the lady was going out again and had asked to go back out with her, then had to ring his brother to let him know he was going to be late. Came up afterwards and thanked me for a bloody awesome time and the Race director gave me the thumbs up for the quick thinking.
    He will go back to the other side of the country with a memento and an awesome story of a magic ride on the mountain with guys racing around him (and probably talking to him knowing the riders)

Maaaaan
    "I love you..." That was the coolest thing anyone ever said to me while riding.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    "Dad, this trail is awesome. Lets do it again, but faster." So cool.

Then there was this from years ago.

After I passed some bikers on the downhill and then sped up, I heard, "Holy Crap, that guy's fast!"...followed shortly thereafter by "Ohhhhhhh man, that had to hurt!", followed by shouts directed down to me,"Dude, are you OK?"

The one, only, and last time I've ever been called fast.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

That's so cool. I'm a huge fan of his. I didn't know he rode mountain bikes. Where were you?

mtbr member
    Approaching riders: "Your dog is so well-behaved on trail!"

I was really proud of her for that...she's such a good girl!
    Time wounds all heels...

Just Ride
    Mar 2014
    Dude that had to hurt

Do you need help

but that was way cool!!!
    To have lived without passion, adventure, and thrill, is to never lived at all!!! YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Kofaram View Post
    That's so cool. I'm a huge fan of his. I didn't know he rode mountain bikes. Where were you?
    He said all that to you?
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Looooooookkkkk ooouuuuutttt!!! No wait, that's me sayin that on the trail. Lol

Sent from my iPhone while my Heli plays with the gophers

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    "Dude, you're soo fast!" This was said by a friend who I took Mtbing for his first time this past summer.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    "No, man. You go ahead, you're a freaking mountain goat." ~ by some guy 10-15 years younger than me and in much better looking, lighter shape.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The Boy Scouts who said "That's so cool!" as two of us rode slowly up a steep, techical rocky trail that was closed to mountain biking, weaving in and around them while they were descending. This is back in the days when MTBers were fighting to get access anywhere, and this place was the local ground zero for that fight. Being able to demonstrate that we could share the trail responsibly and be totally in control while manualling over obstacles and tractoring our way along amidst a crowd of children felt like the best kind of guerrilla public relations for the sport.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if is the coolest, but made me think of this thread. Today, as we're getting ready to head out "That is the cleanest mountain bike I've ever seen"... thought it was funny his bike was a mess. The funny thing is I only clean my bike after 3 or 4 rides, it just happens the last time I went all out.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    "on your left Dad" as my 15-year old son climbed past me on a washed out section of fire road in our local park.

mtbr member
    My wife and I road into a collage town after mountain biking some trails just outside of the city.
    We stopped and trying to decide on what way to go when a guy in his early 20s stopped and offered directions. He looked at the dirt on the bikes so I told him where we just came from.
    He looked at us than looked at the bikes and said I think it's f#*king awesome people your age are still riding single track.
    We just said thanks.
    We're only 54

mtbr member
    It snowed about a foot of snow in the city overnight. I took my bike out for a quick run. An old lady was outside shoveling and yelled "Nice day for a bike ride... FOR A FOOL!"

mtbr member
    'Water?'

-=snifff!!=- What's that you say?

mtbr member
    This is old but back in the late 90's, I took my first trip to New Zealand. Mind you, mountain biking was just starting to get big there, there weren't a lot of trails (for mountain biking). I hooked up with a local (he was say 18) back then in Christchurch to take us out on a trail ride. He and his buddies could believe how awesome our bikes were (salivating at our rigs). And he and his buddies said "Wow, you old guys can sure climb and ride all that ****!".

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920