Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Conflicting passions..?

Does anyone else here enjoy weight training/bodybuilding as much as biking? I have just been rebitten by the biking bug after this weekend only to be too exhausted today to lift well....lol. The two disciplines kind of conflict and its hard to find the energy for both. I don't know which I like better. Lifting is my first love but biking is great fun and gets me outside. Some people debate whether weight training is essential for cycling but no way I'll ever give that up. I've come up with a good median bodyweight of 205 +or- a few that I'm happy with to be ok at both disciplines. Any fellow lifters out there?
    Last edited by WVJon75; 04-15-2013 at 07:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Well, I lifted in college when I rode bmx, but I stopped lifting when I got back into road and mountain biking. I know people lift and bike, but like you, I don't really have the energy or time for both. The thing is, I miss lifting, and I'm much more scared of crashing since I quit lifting. I used to fall all the time, but I feel more fragile now. You won't be the best at either if you do both, but there are definitely benefits to doing both. I do remember that once I got into shape in both disciplines, it wasn't that bad doing both. I did usually lift before riding, though, as I'd rather have my body give out on a bike than give out with 200 pounds over my head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I bulk late fall and all of winter with very little biking. I stick with five days a week breaking up each muscle group. When the weather warms I go on a pound a week cut and biking as much as I want. I go to two full body workouts, all compound exercises and one isolation workout day. I do lose a bit of strength but allows me to do all the things I like to do. By the time late fall comes around I'll be itching to go into full bulk mode again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Good plan AaronK. I have done two full body workouts per week in the past with good results, I too don't stay quite at my strongest but its a good comprimise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I hear ya. Weight lifting has definitely taken a back seat to cycling though, and I've been getting to the gym maybe once a week. I also do landscaping, so I definitely don't have the energy to handle all of it. The hardest part it seeing yourself shrink... but right now cycling is more enjoyable, and I want to get fast... and that requires lots of riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
    I bulk late fall and all of winter with very little biking. I stick with five days a week breaking up each muscle group. When the weather warms I go on a pound a week cut and biking as much as I want. I go to two full body workouts, all compound exercises and one isolation workout day. I do lose a bit of strength but allows me to do all the things I like to do. By the time late fall comes around I'll be itching to go into full bulk mode again.
    Agreed with this 100% - taper in/out of season; I can't stand riding in the cold, as even with proper gear I always end up getting sick and being unable to do anything - so winter is full on lifting (I do a lot of snowboarding too if the season is good) - 2 days a week of full body during the spring, summer and fall lets me maintain my strength and also I try to emphasize back / legs, which definitely improves cycling.

I think people often underestimate the power of simple dead lifts and squats for giving you some good explosive power on the bike.

Ride your bike! Lift when it sucks outside!
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

banned
    Jan 2013
    Those two ARE conflicting passions.

Surprised no one has commented on the fact that they even train different twitch muscles. The stronger you get in the gym (bulkier), the faster you flare out when trying to spin up a hill, and the quicker you bonk trying to pull a long ride. The longer you can ride and the better at climbing you get (leaner), the weaker your max gets on near every muscle group.

Pick your poison. A previous post put it perfectly "You won't be the best at either if you do both, but there are definitely benefits to doing both."

I have settled somewhere in the middle favoring MTB. I split my body into three work outs, and make sure i hit the gym three times a week min. Consistency is more important than intensity, i dont lift like i used to... but i make sure to get my ass in there no matter what. I ride two to three times a week as well. Fast = fun so i push the intensity on my rides as hard as my body will take.

If you REALLY want to get big, your rides need to be short and low intensity. Im over trying to be bigger and stronger. Riding is more fun. For me the gym trips are just maintenance.

Gotta pay to play
    I lift M,W,F
    I bike T,R,Sa,Su and also sprint those days- alternating either a Sat or Sun where I do either sprinting or biking. My bike rides 3 days a week are sub 1 hour and I ride SS so it is high intensity. For the 4th day of riding I try to do a 3-4 hour ride. If I feel beat that day I'll skip sprinting. Some times life prevents me from riding so I sprint instead.

My lifts are mostly body weight + kettlebell stuff. I do NO leg lifts (besides KB swings and Turkish Get ups)- it is all upper body and core training.

If you are interested in my lifts I can give you my current agenda.

I work from home and have a home gym filled with all sorts of goodies- so it makes life a lot easier for exercising.

tg
    mtbr member
    I do both almost every day but I never thought of lifting as "fun". I just do it to stay strong.

mtbr member
    Man, I have this same conflict.

I was a skinny kid up until age 18 when I discovered body building.

Over several years I was able to take that scrawny body which was 5'11" at 126 lbs and take it to a lean 216lbs. After years of bodybuilding, I got back on the bike and it's my true love now.

I can't stand the thought of being scrawny again so I struggle with this all the time. I am best on the bike when I'm at 180 lbs but I don't like how I look. A decent compromise weight for me seems to be 192 lbs so that's what I strive for right now.

If I spend more than 3 days a week in the gym, I have trouble maintaining that weight as my body puts on muscle pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    I find that serial passions (like serial monogamy?) work out better for me, but you're lucky to have even one passion in this life, so enjoy!

Lord Thunderbottom
    I started with "strong lifts" this winter, haven't topped out yet but I'm working myself into a different routine

Less weight and more reps plays much better with the amount of riding I want to do

I still do heavy lifts 1 day a week or if it's raining all week....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    Man, I have this same conflict.

I was a skinny kid up until age 18 when I discovered body building.

Over several years I was able to take that scrawny body which was 5'11" at 126 lbs and take it to a lean 216lbs. After years of bodybuilding, I got back on the bike and it's my true love now.

I can't stand the thought of being scrawny again so I struggle with this all the time. I am best on the bike when I'm at 180 lbs but I don't like how I look. A decent compromise weight for me seems to be 192 lbs so that's what I strive for right now.

If I spend more than 3 days a week in the gym, I have trouble maintaining that weight as my body puts on muscle pretty quickly.

Must be nice to put muscle on so quickly. I have a similar story. At 6'2", I was once up to a pretty lean 225, but now I compromise at 205 give or take. Any less than 205 and I feel too skinny and weak...lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    I started with "strong lifts" this winter, haven't topped out yet but I'm working myself into a different routine

Less weight and more reps plays much better with the amount of riding I want to do

I still do heavy lifts 1 day a week or if it's raining all week....
    Nice to hear from some fellow lifters. The biggest problem I have is doing leg work. My legs have always been a weekpoint for me anyway. When I ride hard all weekend, my legs may be trashed all the way up through mid week. If I can get a decent leg workout in sometimes I overdo it and my legs are trashed into the weekend...argh.
    Upperbody is no problem and i can keep up with reasonable volume there during riding season.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've gotten around that by sticking with glute/ham dominant exercises. When riding a lot my quads get enough work, and you want to balance that out.

Professional Crastinator
    My conflicting passions only conflict in my bank account.

I don't know diddly about body building/weight training, but are there things you can do on the bike to build strength the same way you would with weights. I mix up my riding between aerobic spinning (most of the time) and big ring mashing on hills that I know makes my quads strong, and probably does a bit for my back and shoulders, but is it the same thing? Maybe there is more of an overlap than some people think(?)

Thanks,
    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    My conflicting passions only conflict in my bank account.

I don't know diddly about body building/weight training, but are there things you can do on the bike to build strength the same way you would with weights. I mix up my riding between aerobic spinning (most of the time) and big ring mashing on hills that I know makes my quads strong, and probably does a bit for my back and shoulders, but is it the same thing? Maybe there is more of an overlap than some people think(?)

Thanks,
    -F

Strictly to become a better cyclist I believe that is totally valid, but for us addicted to the iron we still need to hit the weights some to get our fix there as well. Plus my upperbody strength goes way down if I don't lift. Lifting to me is a "sport" in and of itself and I love to lift and get a "pump"....lol.

human dehumidifier
    I have a conflict but it's working on old cars vs riding. Either one makes you too tired to do the other and takes up all your time, and there's the dual expense factor too. Riding's less like work so that's what I end up doing.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I enjoy riding and resistant work. Usually gymnastic rings or kettle bells. I also enjoy heavy bag workouts. And hiking. And jump roping is good too. Sometimes I run. I toss in a few standard weights from time to time. If I've hurt something I often use elastic bands. I may not dominate one sport but overall I feel very fit.

mtbr member
    This great! I thought I was all alone on this subject. WVjon75,you and me are a lot alike.I have been trying to find a balance between the two and now I am starting to realize it is almost impossible. I am typically 220 but drop down to 210 during the summer which works well for me but this year I may try 205. For me it is more mental. I have been lifting lighter and going for higher reps. The biggest problem I don't get to much riding time. Once or twice a week. I hit the gym 4 days a week and work my legs early so they have time to recover before I ride. I don't want to give up either but at this point in my life Iam will to trade a couple of gym days for more riding time.

mtbr member
    My two main activities are mountain biking and rock climbing. They actually go together pretty well. Most of my climbing is at a climbing gym. When I'm done with climbing I finish off with some squats, leg press and leg curls. I find the leg excersizes help immensely on the bike. I don't do a lot but the little I do seems to help with power a lot.

The three combined help me out with my third and fourth passions - Scuba Diving and Back Packing/ Peak Bagging. I get good leg strength and cardio so I'm more efficient in the water so I use less gas. The same leg strength and cardio helps me climb and carry a heavy pack.

I guess for me I look at it that each activity benefits the others. Also they all prevent me from losing interest. I'm never bored.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow, never expected so many great responses! I agree with the leg power thing. When my squats/legs presses are up AND my legs are recovered, I do feel like I can push a higher gear for longer. I never was faster than a middle of the pack racer and now much slower than that but I could tell when I took a more than a week or two off the weights. Especially on the single speed. But looking back, there were a few races hen I should've cut the lifting off a few days earlier prior to the race.
    Like many of you I do most of my harder riding on the weekends but often in the evenings I will ride around town which requires dropping off my hill and a moderate climb back up. I hate to curtail any of this to save strength for the gym. I guess its that time of the year to cut the gym days back a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'll give credit to weights for being initially strong when I first started riding, on a SS no less, with a decent sized gear for the terrain I ride. However, since cutting out most leg work in the gym and instead spending more time on my road bike and trainer, I'm certainly stronger and can hold power for a much longer time. So the gym does help, but as people say, time is better spent on the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVJon75 View Post
    Nice to hear from some fellow lifters. The biggest problem I have is doing leg work. My legs have always been a weekpoint for me anyway. When I ride hard all weekend, my legs may be trashed all the way up through mid week. If I can get a decent leg workout in sometimes I overdo it and my legs are trashed into the weekend...argh.
    Upperbody is no problem and i can keep up with reasonable volume there during riding season.
    My legs don't touch weights anymore. I save them for the bike.

I have really good vascularity for this early into biking season so I don't think many people laugh at my scrawny legs, they look kind of cool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    this time of year, i don't know whether to go snowmobiling, bear hunting or mtn biking. Or 2 of the 3 in a weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast