Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Good job! Confessions of a Roadie- MTB is insane (all of it)

So I did have a mtb a while ago, rode it a bit and loved it. Back in high school it was all I rode. Fast forward 16 years and I own my third mtb, an '05 Turner 6-Pack. I raced collegiate road for the last three years, did 9 triathlons, a double century, a few supported centuries, and averaged about 6-7kmiles (19-23mph avg) a year on the road. After just one hour on my new (to me) mtb, I was gassed out and ready for an IV bag.

The ride barely had any climbing, in fact, it was less than a couple hundred feet over ten miles. But it kicked my butt, legs, and my brain. I absolutely love being out on the trails. I'm a total noob at mtb, have no clue how to handle the bike in many situations, yet I go out every weekend to figure it out. I watched all the vids on how to ride, even got pumped up watching a few Collective vids, built my bike up from scratch so it was 100% mine. I now covet my mtb more than any other bike in my collection.

TL;DR- mountain biking is the best workout on two wheels, I love it!

mtbr member

RE: Confessions of a Roadie- MTB is insane (all of it)

Absolutely! Its akin to doing shuttles vs jogging, except you also need technical skills in mtb!
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

MTB Fanatic
    Mountain bikers are elite in the realm of all cyclists. I've seen so many roadies just die on the dirt trails. It is way harder than it looks. Must be why I love it.
    Nathan

pin it
    I'm a former roadie convert to mtb... I went straight to DH in 2009. Never looked back
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Cycling is as hard as you make it, be it road or off-road.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    MTB forces you to do multiple hill repeats, each ride. Each HIIT burst on a MTB combined with bike handling skills, only keeps your body fat burner on MAX fry. There is no such thing as road-induced hypnosis on MTB, as each trail contour and technical line selection has your brain's synapses firing on all banks.

I did the roadie thing, and found my true love is MTB....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Retro on Steroids
    I have a very nice carbon fiber road bike that has not been off its hook in three years.

Because...

I also have four FS mountain bikes.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    That just means the road bike is taking up space for another mtb!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have had a road bike for awhile and just last weekend bought a mtn bike and love it so far. Hopefully riding both will make me a better all around rider but at the moment, I am loving the smooth ride of the mtn. bike
    '14 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    '14 Trek Skye (Wife)
    '12 Specialized Crux Skittles
    '13 Specialized Allez Compact

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffguy View Post
    TL;DR- mountain biking is the best workout on two wheels, I love it!
    Wait till you try Rigid SS riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothie7 View Post
    Hopefully riding both will make me a better all around rider but at the moment, I am loving the smooth ride of the mtn. bike
    It probably will.

mtbr member
    I ride both MTB and road bike alternating between the two quite frequently. I have noticed a jump in my skill considerably, whether it be pedaling harder for longer or being more focused while on either bike, since I started with the road bike a few months back. Plus, I can't always get up to the local trails for the MTB, but I can always ride from the house on the road bike for a quick exercise.

mtbr member
    I do the same think with a road bike. I use it for quick exercise mid week out of the house when I don't have time for a proper mtb ride. Last two evenings I have jumped on the road bike at 6:20pm and rode for about 45 min. After that it was too dark to ride any longer. I could not get out sooner due to dinner with the family and don't want to ride all night in the dark. So the roadie was perfect for quick 15 mile high paced (20.2mph avg) ride and still being able to get my daughter to be at 7:30. Plus riding in 100F heat is nicer with a 20 mph wind vs a 7-10 mph slog on the trails. Both are good and I will always like mtn better, but I have been very happy to have the roadie to ride on the side. It does nothing for bike handling, but does help fitness.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    All kidding aside, road riding does complement mtb. I read an article in one of the major mags a couple of years ago where roadie racer was pitted against mtb racer: they would each ride the same road and trail course. On the trail the roadie was a whopping minus 20 minutes at finish. On the road the mtb'er was minus 50 secs at finish. Here is the clincher: the roadie never did mtb before while the mtb'er used to also cross train and participated in road races.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My wife and I own both road and mtn bikes. I enjoy riding both types of bikes with her, however when I ride solo I typically find myself choosing the mtn bike most of the time. In the spring I use the road bike more in order to build up a little fitness. I also have a group of friends that are roadies only. I love showing up, riding in my baggies and mtn bike shoes and crushing them on the road

Both types of bikes are fun. I get a little bored on the road bike after 2 hours, but it nice sometimes to just ride around out on the road and enjoy the scenery. Mountain biking is more exciting for me.

Professional Crastinator
    The switch to MTB is tough if you don't have any off-road skilz yet. That is where all your energy is going - fighting off all those rocks, logs, and roots. Once you figure out all the amazing things your bike can do, you will relax and become more efficient. It gets really fun then!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've noticed that riding a mtb, from a leg energy point of view, is like racing in a crit. I'm just pegged all the time. I love that feeling tho, the downhill recovery section and being forced to find my lines so I don't end up kissing a tree. I go as hard as I can on the mtb, so my rides barely last more than an hour and a half at this point. I'd love to get into long distance stuff once the body becomes more acclimated.

I've been developing skills on some local trails that have obstacles (man made random stuff) on them that help me balance, do drops, etc. It's just nice to be learning how to ride a bike again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    MTB forces you to do multiple hill repeats, each ride. Each HIIT burst on a MTB combined with bike handling skills, only keeps your body fat burner on MAX fry. There is no such thing as road-induced hypnosis on MTB, as each trail contour and technical line selection has your brain's synapses firing on all banks.

I did the roadie thing, and found my true love is MTB....
    Yet this is exactly the reverse situation going from MTB to road. I got myself a road bike this summer and cannot for the life of me keep up with my buddy on multiple miles long ascent. Yet can smoke him any time with hill repeat. My body was all about all HIIT and not aerobic-slow-and steady. This winter I'm currently doing long and steady on the trainer with Tabata so not to fck up my MTB skillz The goal is to be good a both ana and aero. Watch out next summer Chris!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's not that I hate road bikes I just hate road riding, I find it boring as hell. I do one road ride a year a 180km ride for charity, I use my old Cannondale Deltav 1000 with slicks.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Wait till you try Rigid SS riding.
    +1

After ~3 months of that, MTB climbing abilities and bike handling skills definitely improved.

I haven't been on a road bike since the 1980's... just too darned monotonous for me and in the summer yer brains get cooked extra crispy from hot pavement reflective heat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    It's not that I hate road bikes I just hate road riding, I find it boring as hell. I do one road ride a year... with slicks.
    +1. I had dreams of 700c rims on my Karate Monkey, but if I'm not bored on the road, I'm scared sh**less.

But I'm spoiled, more singletrack outside my front door than roads

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I decided to risk it and start riding the roads near my house to get more miles in. (My closest trails are about 20 minutes away.) I stick to the sidewalk when I'm on the busy 5 lane road, but most of the rest I feel reasonably safe on the street. Put some commuter style tires on my El Mariachi and it rolls pretty well. I recently did a 50 miler for the first time. Before that my longest ride was about 27 miles off road. Switching between smooth and knobby tires is a pain and I'm trying to decide between a road bike or a full rigid mtn bike that I could potentially also take to the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have this debate with my brother in law all the time. He is a personal trainer, and gets a lot of his clients ready for triathlons and the like. He says that mtb is not the way to train them, as they need to work on their long distance endurance and speed. I pointed out to him that the challenges of mtb, with ups and downs, having to whip the bike around, the acceleration and so on would help the muscle groups and endurance. Can't change his mind about this, and he even brags about how he has moved some of his trainees away from mtb and strictly to road.

While he knows more than I do about conditioning, I can't help but believe that combining different types of training is helpful all the way around.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Confessions of a Roadie- MTB is insane (all of it)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
    All kidding aside, road riding does complement mtb. I read an article in one of the major mags a couple of years ago where roadie racer was pitted against mtb racer: they would each ride the same road and trail course. On the trail the roadie was a whopping minus 20 minutes at finish. On the road the mtb'er was minus 50 secs at finish. Here is the clincher: the roadie never did mtb before while the mtb'er used to also cross train and participated in road races.
    Probably not a very technical trail to be honest. But i agree road riding compliments mtb and is a good way to improve endurance and climbing strength.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Unless it does kill you, in which case, you wouldn't be here to dispute the point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mountain biking is one of the few things you can't be on the fence about. You have to want it and love it to keep at it...climbing sucks but you have to do it for the DH...It's an all or nothing passion. The first climbs tend to weed out those not committed. I'm 38 and probably look like I'm going to die on some (most) climbs but honestly, there's nowhere else I'd want to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast