mtbr member

Smile Colorado -> Utah -> Arizona MTB road Trip - Part 5 - Grand Junction / Fruita

Heres some pictures from the Grand Junction / Fruita section of my trip

Day 10
    ----------

As I'd arranged to meet Beanman and Cobi for a night ride in Grandjunction tonight I decided not to ride flowing up on the Plateau, instead I headed for a new trail I had read about on this forum called Butterknife

The trail starts up high on the other side of the road from the ridbbon

It was damn hot - well at least 90f which was hot for me after riding in the high mountains

After riding some double track I rolled onto the Butterknife trail

The butterknife trail was pretty good - nice narrow singletrack which wound around the canyons with various ups and downs and nice views

At the end I made the mistake of riding back on a brutal rocky ATV trail - which didnt offer much in the way of views - it was just hard work in the hot sun - next time i'll just ride back up the dirt road - I had to stop and rest in the shade several times on the way back as it was so hot.

The ride i did was about 13.5 miles long

Back at the car I drove back down to the garage at the bottom of the hill and re-fuled with a choclate milshake and a large root beer before heading over to the lunch loop car park to meet up with Beanman and Cobi who I'd hooked up with via MTBR

After meeting up we loaded our bikes up into Beanmans huge truck and headed up to the Ribbon Trail Head

It was just turning to dusk as we set off on the trail - it was still hot but without the sun beating down the heat was quite comfortable to ride in

The ride down the ribbon was great - and we only took one wrong turn heading down, we were having too much fun to faff around taking pictures in the dark

From the bottom of the ribbon we headed off left up the hike a bike towards Eagle wing, asides from the hike a bike up from the wash the rest of the climbs on the ride were pretty do-able

We headed over to Holy Cross which was great in the dark - I was glad i was with compnay as the big rocks looked like good places for a cougar to lunch an attack

The Holy Cross by night

Another great looking large bug

The ride we did was about 10.3 miles long. The ride had been great fun with really good company, Cobi very kindly saved me the drive back up to Beanmans truck by taking Beanman back up - and I headed off to safeway to buy some food for dinner

Day 11
    -----------

Today I decided to go ride at the Kokopelli trail system - I arrived fairly late as I'd had to hunt around for some neopene socks for the zion narrows hike i was doing later in the week. I was quite warm and toasty at the trailhead

I started off by riding rustlers - nice easy singletrack on one of the benchs above the colorado river

Then I headed up Marys to Horsethief Bench

After have a very enjoyable ride on Horsethief I got back onto Marys and continued on towards Steves loop

Looking back at steves loop

Riding on Lions trail

After after climbing up a dirt road at the end of lions singletrack we headed off down troy built

At then end of Troy built as I was low on water I decided to just head back to the car along the dirt road.

Total riding distance for the kokopelli trails was 28 miles - as usual I'd had a great time riding the trails here

After having some cold drinks I headed off to 18rd to ride some of the trails there as well

As I was feeling quite tierd and I knew I had to get up early to get to Moab to ride the Whole enchilda the folloiwng day I limited my self to riding Joes ridge, and Kessel Run

The night ride was fantastic

I only rode around 8 miles before heading back to my hotel to get ready for the folloiwng days big ride.

Next pictures I'll post will be from the WHhle Enchilda in Moab

Name:  EMAILUS.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  28.9 KB
    Last edited by zinger-uk; 10-10-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: title change
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

mtbr member
    Gordon,

Great pictures as usual. It was a fun to meet up and ride with you. I still can't believe how fast you were climbing after riding non stop for so many days. Hopefully my Wife's cat will live that long too!

Bollocks
    brilliant pictures mate! as an ex pat recently relocated to denver, i hope to ride some of those trails next year [snow has started falling already in the high country!]. but i have to know, how do you get those "self portraits" when you're out riding by yourself? surely you don't set the camera up, set the timer, leg it back up the trail, turn around and ride past at the exact moment the shutter goes? or do you?! fair play if you do, the results are fantastic but it seems like it would certainly disrupt the flow of your ride...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great pictures. Looks like some fantastic riding. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Dang you're like the Energizer Bunny. You just keep going. When I'm on biking vacation I'm the same way. I try to squeeze in as many rides as possible. I figure I can rest when I get back to work.

You're hitting all the good stuff.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Gordon,

Great pictures as usual. It was a fun to meet up and ride with you. I still can't believe how fast you were climbing after riding non stop for so many days. Hopefully my Wife's cat will live that long too!
    Hi Beanman

It was good to ride with you - shame it was over so soon and that I had to dash off to Moab

Its a shame my climbing ability didint translate so well to the techniocal down hill bits !!!

Next time I pass through your area I'll have to take you up on your kind offer of a place to stay and do a few more rides with you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos9
    brilliant pictures mate! as an ex pat recently relocated to denver, i hope to ride some of those trails next year [snow has started falling already in the high country!]. but i have to know, how do you get those "self portraits" when you're out riding by yourself? surely you don't set the camera up, set the timer, leg it back up the trail, turn around and ride past at the exact moment the shutter goes? or do you?! fair play if you do, the results are fantastic but it seems like it would certainly disrupt the flow of your ride...
    No reason why you cant go and ride over at Grand Junction !!!

Yes I do set up the tripod, set the self timer for 30 seconds - to take 6 pictures, and then I do a ride past for the money shot

When your on your own it doesnt disrupt the flow that much, Also its one of my survival strategies for doing ride after ride over many days the photo stops give me plenty of micro breaks !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Dang you're like the Energizer Bunny. You just keep going. When I'm on biking vacation I'm the same way. I try to squeeze in as many rides as possible. I figure I can rest when I get back to work.

You're hitting all the good stuff.
    Yeah I was almost asleep at my desk at work for a whole week recovering when I got home !! , plus the wall to wall rain stopped me from doing any riding

I might be heading out to NV next year April / May , as part of of a AZ, NV, UT trip would you be interested in meeting up for a ride or 2 ? (Note : I'm for XC than Freeride though)

Bollocks
    Quote Originally Posted by zinger-uk
    No reason why you cant go and ride over at Grand Junction !!!

Yes I do set up the tripod, set the self timer for 30 seconds - to take 6 pictures, and then I do a ride past for the money shot

When your on your own it doesnt disrupt the flow that much, Also its one of my survival strategies for doing ride after ride over many days the photo stops give me plenty of micro breaks !!!
    nice one! sounds like a lot of work but the results are fantastic. well worth it. what kind of camera are you using?

i'd like to go to grand junction this autumn but with the kids schedules, wifes new job, blah, blah, excuse, excuse, theres no way unless i plan far in advance. thanks for sharing your travels. its certainly inspired me to discover more of the state

Team Fearless Descender
    Man, great stuff (and great photography). I need to get back Fruita way, its been a year (two?). Maybe this spring?

Thanks for sharing, Maybe if I try real hard, tomorrows local ride will feel more fun. Ha, "More Fun"!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Hadley's rule
    Your rides and photos are an inspiration! I think you've stiired our SoCal group to consider some new dirt for spring! Thanks for posting.
    Peligroso

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Great stuff. I've enjoyed the entire series. You're like a connoisseur of fine wine: you know which trails you like, and you go ride them!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zinger-uk
    I might be heading out to NV next year April / May , as part of of a AZ, NV, UT trip would you be interested in meeting up for a ride or 2 ? (Note : I'm for XC than Freeride though)
    Sure. Let me know if your plans take you through Ely. There's some good XC stuff here. I'm not all about the chunk. I love a good flowing XC trail as well.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Really enjoying these threads Gordon. The Fruita pics are excellent. Vicarious thrill for me as there is no trip this year - too much work! My buddies have gone without me and are in Moab as we speak
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor-y-Foel
    Really enjoying these threads Gordon. The Fruita pics are excellent. Vicarious thrill for me as there is no trip this year - too much work! My buddies have gone without me and are in Moab as we speak
    I'm thinking about an April/May 2 week trip next year if your interested in hooking up for a ride or two - I've not decided on which airport to fly into yet might be phoenix, las vegas or denver

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Now that would be a ton of fun. I am not sure if our timetables will mesh though - I am currently working on getting to the Spring Fling mid March'ish with perhaps a longer trip in the late summer to the Sierras and Oregon with my regular crew
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

Members who have read this thread: 0