mtbr member

Colorado -> Utah -> Arizona MTB road Trip - Part 13 - Sedona by Night & Mt Elden

Evening 20 - After rockman had headed home I stayed on in Sedona to do a night ride. I started my ride by heading up Highline

On the way up Highline i spotted this scorpion

The climb up high line by night with the full moon shining was great

At the top of Highline I forgot to turn off my light on my bike and it over heated and cut out, so on the way back i just had my little head torch to guide me which made for a more interesting ride down, on the way I managed to go over the handlebars - luckily for me I managed to grab a chunk of vegetation and stopped myself going off the edge, and my bike got hung up in a bush.

As my main light was still not working I decided to get over to bell rock and ride the wide trails over there.

I headed along the bike path

I headed up little horse and then headed back towards Bell Rock via the llama trail

My main light started working again towards the end of the llama trail, so I played around taking a few pictures in the dark, I then headed over towards the big park

I then headed back to the car and drove back to sedona. The night ride had been great the only bad things about it had been going over the bars and almost plunging to my death and getting 2 mosquito bites while messing around taking pictures - I'd ridden another 18.6 miles on my night ride.

Day 21 - Mt Elden
    ----------------------

For my final day I decided to ride some trails on Mt Elden as the weather forecast for Sedona was a bit toasty for my liking.

I parked up at the Schultz creek trail head and headed up the rocky ridge trail - which was quite steep at times

From the rocky ridge trail I connected onto the Mt Elden trail , and rode up the Elden lookout road
    The road was quite a grind as it climbed up the mountain

Once i got to the top of the road I headed along the catwalk trail

There were loads more Aspen trees growing along the trail compared to the last time I rode the trail several years back

I dropped down through the Hobbit forest and then rode over to the Sunset trail, passing the closed entrance to little bear trail

The sunset trail had been rerouted since I'd last ridden it - and was much better for the re-route except the corners didn't have much flow too them - I guess whoever did the corners didn't ride a bike

Down at Schultz creek trail I headed up to the Jedi Trail and rode that

Finally I blasted down the Schultz Creek trail - I didn't stop to take any pictures as I rode down the trail as fast as I could - Schultz Creek at speed was an amazing finish to my holiday

I then headed over to Rockmans place who was putting me up for the night - I went out and bought some Large steaks for dinner which Rockman cooked perfectly for us on the Barbie - then I packed my bike up ready for the journey home the following day.

So thats another great mountain bike trip over - Hope the picture inspire you to get out and ride more - I'd be happy to hear from anyone out there who could hook up with me for some rides the next time I visit the states

When I have the time I'll do a full trip report on my website with more pictures, maps etc
    Last edited by zinger-uk; 10-18-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

avg. joe
    You are having one heck of a trip. How are you going to display your pics when you get home ... a traditional photo ablum or one of the sites that will make a book for you?

Thanks for your postings.

STinGa
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa
    You are having one heck of a trip. How are you going to display your pics when you get home ... a traditional photo ablum or one of the sites that will make a book for you?

Thanks for your postings.

STinGa
    I'm home already been back for a couple of weeks now

Eventually I'll put all the pictures i took on my web site - as an on line photo album

cheers

Zinger
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

Tigers love pepper...
    Looks like a great trip Zinger! Glad to meet you, looking forward to meeting up again next time.

mtbr member
    Zinger,

What a trip. Was the over the bars the only one? If so I'd say you are doing good with as much riding as you did. I very much enjoyed your pictures and riding the Ribbon and Holy Cross at night. I've made one night ride since then, last Saturday at 18 road with my Wife, it was her first night ride. On the way home she said we should have ridden further...

Cheers,

Fred

mtbr member
    Sweet trip. Have you taken similar mountain bike trips?

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour
    Sweet trip. Have you taken similar mountain bike trips?
    Check out his website
    http://www.mtb-hol.com

Members who have read this thread: 0