mtbr member

Smile Colorado -> Utah -> Arizona MTB road Trip - Part 1 - Summit County Colorado

Heres a few pictures from a MTB holiday I had back in September - Over a period of 21 days I rode about 490 miles cherry picking some of the best spots for the time of year in Colorado, Utah and Arizona.

I've not had time to do my usual in depth trip report on my website www.mtb-hol.com - I'll post here when i do

I did pretty exhaustive planning before I fly out to maximize the riding I did , and only had to change my plan a couple of time due to rain of extreme heat.

I managed to hook with old and new friends along the way

Heres the route I took on my trip

Of course you might be asking how do you get to to do a 3 week vacation without your wife - well I have to thank this furry critter as she's quite old and sick now my wife wont go on holiday abroad anymore (Thats the cat - not the wife )

Day 1

I flew from England to Denver Airport picked up my hire car and checked into a Hotel in Denver , put my bike together and then bought power bars etc before getting some sleep

Day 2

After getting supplies etc from a Performance Bikes shop I headed off for my first ride
    Kenosha to Georgia Pass and back via the Jefferson trail. I arrived at the trail head around mid day - lots of cars at trail head and most people seemed to be coming back as I started out.

I didn't stop to take too many pictures on the way up to Georgia Pass in case weather came in
    Asides from a couple of spots I managed to ride it all - as the trail was smooth with a good gradient to ride. But boy were my lungs buring at times as they struggled to get enough air into them..

When I got to the Jefferson turning I continued up to wards Georgia Pass, I didn't see another person on the trail from this point on until I got back to the SUV hours later

And headed down from the high point over a jeep road - until I forced myself to turn around and ride back up

I took the left turn to the Jefferson trail on the way back

The Jefferson trail was great fast twisty single track - with only 1 tree down on the way down

Eventually the Jefferson trail reconnected with the CT and continued back to the car with a great sunset going on over my shoulder

I got back to the SUV just as the sun started set then headed back down to Denver - having ridden a quite hard due to the altitude 25 miles - But the ride had been worth the pain 8-)

Day 3

I got blown out by someone I'd rode with before in Colorado so I decided to drive over to Winter Park and ride the trails there as I had ridden there 10 year ago and remembered them being quite good.

It was quite cold and windy today so I had to layer up today, I bought a half day lift ticket and headed up the mountain.
    I had the top of the mountain to myself as it seemed as though no else could be bothered to ride up to the XC trails at the top

I had a good time riding around on the upper trails - but most of the trails going down to the bottom of the mountain were not too much fun on a XC bike - Winter Park is definitely a DH only resort now. After the lifts stopped I rode around on some of the Fraser valley trails like serenity , Cherokee etc and enjoyed those much more. At the end of the ride I'd done about 25 miles

Once I had finished biking I packed up and drove over to copper mtn where I stayed at the resort for 1 night.

Day 4

I decided to go ride the Lost Lake Loop at Vail today

I parked in the Lions head multistory car park and then headed off to the trail

I managed to choose a pretty bad route to start the ride with and ended up doing a lot of hike a bike up the north trail near exit 176

But I did end up having a nice descent down switch backs to red sandstone rd

The climb up the road wasn't too bad , although to-wards the top it started to get a bit rocky

There was still a fair bit of climbing from the trail head to the lost lake

The lost Lake was great very serene and scenic - and I made friends with some blue jays

From the lost lake the trail climbed up again and then there were some fun down hill sections

My route took me down the Buffehr trail which had some nice single track through the aspens

This then connected onto the North trail which was very narrow single track which headed back down ton the valley flow via a series of switch backs which were great

I then rode back to the car - total riding distance today was 25 miles

I then drove to Salida arriving after dark at the Motel 6 ready to ride the Monarch Crest trail the following day - which I'd arranged to do with friends from Gunnison.

Thats my photo limit for this post TBC
    Last edited by zinger-uk; 10-10-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

mtbr member
    looks like an amazing trip - great pics!

making tracks
    I love the solo documentation! Do you have a remote trigger for your camera?

Riding up the Son of Middle Creek Trail to start your Lost Lake loop is pretty adventurous... I bet you got some looks coming up

P.S. Feeding the Camp Robbers is bad, mmkay, because they prey on other species of nestling birds - therefore, the more Camp Robbers (Grey Jays) in an area, the less other bird species. They don't even eat the goodies then & there, but rather hide it for later. Punks for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    very nice!!!

amar la vida de dos niner
    Sweet! Love the shot with the sunbeams coming from behind you.

Sorry to hear your kitty is ailing. I'm sure she is very special to you both.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

TeXaS BoY
    Jan 2004
    simply amazing
    Don't live in fear. Be ready.

I love my bike like a fat kid loves cake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatski
    I love the solo documentation! Do you have a remote trigger for your camera?

Riding up the Son of Middle Creek Trail to start your Lost Lake loop is pretty adventurous... I bet you got some looks coming up

P.S. Feeding the Camp Robbers is bad, mmkay, because they prey on other species of nestling birds - therefore, the more Camp Robbers (Grey Jays) in an area, the less other bird species. They don't even eat the goodies then & there, but rather hide it for later. Punks for sure.
    No remote trigger but my canon camera has a great 30 second timer which you can set then it takes 6 pictures - usually i get a few keepers !!! - I think all the photo stops i do is one of the reaosn I'm able to get so many rides in without gettiong too tierd

I wont feed the birds next time

Name:  EMAILUS.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  28.9 KB
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

Tigers love pepper...
    Great picturesd zinger. Looking forward to the rest.

But it kind of bums me out that I live here and you've ridden WAY more trails in my own backyard than I have.