mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Colorado Backcountry Biker

Has anyone done the Colorado Backcountry Biker hut to hut trips ? Any tips or recommendations?

mtbr member
    Haven't done it, but looks like a good trip.

I did San Juan hut to hut last summer for a 7 day ride and had a great time. That trip is pretty much a do it yourself deal; they provide the huts and stock them and that's it.

The CBB one has a gear shuttle and sounds like they stock every day vs every couple of groups.

I'll probably give the CBB one a try one of these days... glad you posted! I'll also do the SJ huts again, too. It'll just depend on what kind of riding experience I'm after when I decide which one to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Haven't, but have always wanted to do a bike hut trip.

mtbr member
    My buddy went with a group last year and said he had a blast. Since then he keeps saying he wants to go back and that it was definately worth the cash.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I wonder if it's better to bring your own bike or just rent one?
    Anyone know of any good bike shipping services?

mtbr member
    We did the CO to Moab hut trip and although we drove with our bikes, most of the local bike shops offered shipping and assembly services. They also offered to pick us up at the airport and deliver us back....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo
    I wonder if it's better to bring your own bike or just rent one?
    Anyone know of any good bike shipping services?
    From my perspective, you're going to be in the saddle for a number of days over varied terrain. Having your own bike removes one variable from the equation that leads to an awesome time... or a miserable time! Take your own bike!

That said, two of my buddies that I did the SH huts trip with last summer rented their bikes and were fine. We also didn't do any of the single track because a couple of the guys were pretty new to the dirt.

mtbr member

Dominguez trip ROCKS!

You can get more information on the Colorado Backcountry Biker website or just give them a call. The website shows the elevations and milages of their trips. I did the Dominguez this past August and it was a blast!
    Colorado Backcountry Biker | Bike tours, bike rentals and bike sales in Fruita, Colorado
    Make every ride a great ride!

mtbr member
    Hmm, I'll have to check out the San Juan huts.

I've done a self-supported San Juan loop: Ouray - Telluride - Silverton - Lake City - Ouray. Beautiful scenery and cool mining structures. Each day goes over a pass on jeep roads. You can camp or get a room in each city.

Members who have read this thread: 1