mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Cold weather camping and biking in the Bershires

So the girl and I decided to pack everything up for the long Columbus Day weekend and get out of Boston. We got a campsite at the top of Pittsfield State Forest at Berry Pond (the highest naturally occurring body of water in MA @ 2150 ft...fun fact). Got to camp pond-side which was great. Surprisingly few people up there for a long weekend, but we did have a frost warning both nights...just more of a reason to snuggle up close! Got some good riding in, from the GPS maps it looks like we hit just around 20 miles of nice stuff. Had to ride a bunch of ORV trails, which was actually pretty sweet because we were the only ones riding them, other than a pair of dirt-bikers who were more than nice. Got to ride some great singletrack, some nice downhill stuff, and a BUNCH of real nice technical stuff. Anyways, got some nice shots from up there, and here they are...

Entrance to the park

View from the top...

Berry Pond

Ridgeline full of gear for the weekend

Our pond-side campsite all set up

Spotting a line...while sporting my "Wheres Waldo socks"...

Taught the girl how to shoot moving targets...not bad for a first attempt

Got one of her...no helmet...tisk tisk

Some nice banked corners on the ORV trails

Her trying to push "Balance Rock" onto me at Balance Rock State Park

Rolling off some nice downhill rocks...

Trying to wash some of the mud off, unsuccessfully I might add...

Her trying to do the same (white bike...not a chance...)

And a sunset from the top...

I'll throw more up as she gets them posted, having interweb issues right now.

All in all it was a great weekend. Got out of the city for 3 days. Got cold for the first time of the season. Got to put more miles on the new bike. And had a killer time. If thats not what its all about (insert hokey pokey joke here), then I still dont get it

Cheers
    Skeeter
    "I'd rather go through life fat, happy, and poor...then slim, pissed off, and rich"

-2009 moto 3 carbon-

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Please get her a helmet.

Intermediate wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by GambJoe
    Please get her a helmet.
    +100. You'll kick yourself if she ever has a head injury.

btw..nice pics. looks like a nice time with your sweetheart. i love that park. wife and i camped there 15 years ago.
    "You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding." ~KRob

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Looks like a ball! If I might add a bit of experience to your next adventure?

Not sure if you've ever had rain when you camp or not, but having your ground cloth be much larger than the footprint of you tent virtually guarantees that all the water running off, and also the stuff hitting it, will end up under you, and despite the best efforts at seam sealing, tub floor design etc, you will be sleeping in a shallow lake.

Just helping out, not being a jerk

And yes, by all means, if she has a helmet, tell her we won't care that she's wearing it for pics, and if she doesn't have one, and you care about her? You know the drill....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0