Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Cold Bikes

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    125

    Cold Bikes

    Well It's winter in Minnesota now, and I was wondering if there are any possible ill effects from storing a bike outside in the winter when it gets real cold.
    Thansk for the help
    Paul

  2. #2
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,652
    Ill effects just from low temperature? Nothing that I can think of.
    Ill effects from being outside? Maybe corrosion. Is theft an ill effect?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    125
    Thanks.
    Yeah I'm keeping it in a secure garage, so corrostion isn't really an issue.

  4. #4
    PMC
    PMC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    286
    If you're going to be riding through the winter it's best to keep it in the garage or somewhere unheated. No need to subject all the moving parts to the temperature changes from indoors to outdoors every ride.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nwmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,112

    condensation is the killer

    Quote Originally Posted by PMC
    If you're going to be riding through the winter it's best to keep it in the garage or somewhere unheated. No need to subject all the moving parts to the temperature changes from indoors to outdoors every ride.



    PMC is correct, it's when the bike is subjected to in and out temperature changes that could damage a frame or parts. The garage will be perfect.



    later, Chad
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Cheezy Rider
    Reputation: Rufudufus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    PMC is correct, it's when the bike is subjected to in and out temperature changes that could damage a frame or parts. The garage will be perfect.



    later, Chad
    Wow, that pic is so, ahem, cool!

  7. #7
    TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Reputation: KERKOVEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,039
    I work at a shop that has a college in town down in Iowa. Every once in a while we will get a college student that comes into the shop in early Spring with a chain stay that is cracked open like someone stuck a fire craker in it. What happened you ask? Well, they store the bike outside. The snow melts, the water drips into the frame. It freezes again. As it freezes, the ice expands and applies pressure on the inside of the tubing. BAMB! The frame is toast. Seen it happen atleat a handful of times.

    Just something to think about.

  8. #8
    MTP
    MTP is offline
    Nothing to see here
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    893
    Why would one EVER store a bike outside, let alone in a Minnesota winter? Take care of that thing or it won't treat you well in your old age....

  9. #9
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,824
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    I work at a shop that has a college in town down in Iowa. Every once in a while we will get a college student that comes into the shop in early Spring with a chain stay that is cracked open like someone stuck a fire craker in it. What happened you ask? Well, they store the bike outside. The snow melts, the water drips into the frame. It freezes again. As it freezes, the ice expands and applies pressure on the inside of the tubing. BAMB! The frame is toast. Seen it happen atleat a handful of times.

    Just something to think about.

    you're so full of sh!t. we get the same weather here and that doesn't happen. if you're really worried about your bike give it two things... oil and grease. if I have to explain what to do with oil and grease you might just believe bikes in Iowa "blow up".

    frames blowing up in winter... now I've heard it all.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nwmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by huntforlife
    Thanks.
    Yeah I'm keeping it in a secure garage, so corrostion isn't really an issue.



    no offense fella's, but if you would have read his earlier post then you would have known that he keeps it in his garage. He was worried about the COLD.



    later, Chad

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    Wow, that pic is so, ahem, cool!
    No pun intended....

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,855
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    PMC is correct, it's when the bike is subjected to in and out temperature changes that could damage a frame or parts. The garage will be perfect.
    That road bike is looking pretty seductive with that feather boa wrapped around her neck. Hubba hubba. Must resist.

  13. #13
    surly inbred
    Reputation: TroutBum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    now I've heard it all.
    Except for that one day in chemistry when the teacher explained how water expands when it freezes.


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    you're so full of sh!t. we get the same weather here and that doesn't happen. if you're really worried about your bike give it two things... oil and grease. if I have to explain what to do with oil and grease you might just believe bikes in Iowa "blow up".

    frames blowing up in winter... now I've heard it all.
    What you you think makes pipes burst when they freeze? What makes and engine block crack upen when the water within freezes? Why do potholes get worse in the winter? Water expands when it freezes with such foce that it will break whatever container it is in. It is entirely possible that a tube on a frame could get water trapped in it and burst when it freezes. He definetly isn't full of **** but you have shown us how to be an ass!
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

  15. #15
    the wrench
    Reputation: garboui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    you're so full of sh!t. we get the same weather here and that doesn't happen. if you're really worried about your bike give it two things... oil and grease. if I have to explain what to do with oil and grease you might just believe bikes in Iowa "blow up".

    frames blowing up in winter... now I've heard it all.

    my super winter bearter lock anywhere bike is a nishiki apache i got for free because of the drive side chainstay expanded and touched the chainrings from water freezing in the frame. since it wont see any heavy duty use i just beat the chinstay back into shape and it has since been my bike for when theres salt on the roads or im going somewhere where its gonna be locked up outside.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

  16. #16
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,824
    water only expands 9% when frozen

    and consider this if you have a bike assembled bad enough to let water into the frame at the top... it's gonna leak out the bottom too.

    just to prove you wrong I'll fill my serotta with water and let it sit for a week. that's how sure I am that the Iowa claim is ********.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    water only expands 9% when frozen

    and consider this if you have a bike assembled bad enough to let water into the frame at the top... it's gonna leak out the bottom too.

    just to prove you wrong I'll fill my serotta with water and let it sit for a week. that's how sure I am that the Iowa claim is ********.
    Do whatever you like to your bike. You won't be able to prove me wrong. Your argument about assembly may or may not hold water/ice. Water being trapped in the tubes could also be a function of frame design and manufacture. 9% expansion can be more than enough to split a tube wide open or it may simply bulge the tube or it may not even be noticable. It depends on many factors like frame material, temperature, tube size,......etc. I suspect that Aluminum would be more likely to sustain major damage than steel. My other hobby involves steam engines. I have seen Sch 80 steel pipe burst from being frozen because someone forgot to drain the pipes. This pipe is much stronger than the materials used to make bicycle frames.
    If you didn't believe that frost can burst a tube that's fine. I take exception to telling someone that he is full of crap when the scenario is possible. It is possible! Prove me wrong by draing the antifreeze from your car's engine and replacing it with plain water. Next park the car in 20° or less temps for a week. If there is no damage to the engine I will be full of ****!
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

  18. #18
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    did someone say boa?

    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    That road bike is looking pretty seductive with that feather boa wrapped around her neck. Hubba hubba. Must resist.
    sexy...


    btw, very cool (pun intended) frost pic in previous post.

    rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

    [SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

  19. #19
    paintbucket
    Reputation: wooglin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,825
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    sexy...
    Looks like that bike hasn't moved since you built it up. Even the boa is still clean.

    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

  20. #20
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Looks like that bike hasn't moved since you built it up. Even the boa is still clean.

    hey! it's not easy to ride so fast you never get dirty.

    rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

    [SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

  21. #21
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,824
    Quote Originally Posted by porkchop
    Prove me wrong by draing the antifreeze from your car's engine and replacing it with plain water.
    that is a sealed system. bicycles are generally not sealed systems. especially a poorly assemble one. your eyes are brown because you're full of sh!t.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    186
    Leave the radiator cap off. It won't be sealed but your engine block will still break when the water expands. I own an engine that this has happened to. With the bicycle tube it is likely that the drain hole that was supposed to let the water drain is plugged up with mud.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    water only expands 9% when frozen

    and consider this if you have a bike assembled bad enough to let water into the frame at the top... it's gonna leak out the bottom too.

    just to prove you wrong I'll fill my serotta with water and let it sit for a week. that's how sure I am that the Iowa claim is ********.

    please don't take any pics. i'm sure no one here wants to see a serotta distroyed due to ignorance and stupidity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •