Thread: Cold Bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Cold Bikes

Well It's winter in Minnesota now, and I was wondering if there are any possible ill effects from storing a bike outside in the winter when it gets real cold.
    Thansk for the help
    Paul

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Ill effects just from low temperature? Nothing that I can think of.
    Ill effects from being outside? Maybe corrosion. Is theft an ill effect?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks.
    Yeah I'm keeping it in a secure garage, so corrostion isn't really an issue.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you're going to be riding through the winter it's best to keep it in the garage or somewhere unheated. No need to subject all the moving parts to the temperature changes from indoors to outdoors every ride.

mtbr member

condensation is the killer

Quote Originally Posted by PMC
    If you're going to be riding through the winter it's best to keep it in the garage or somewhere unheated. No need to subject all the moving parts to the temperature changes from indoors to outdoors every ride.

PMC is correct, it's when the bike is subjected to in and out temperature changes that could damage a frame or parts. The garage will be perfect.

later, Chad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    PMC is correct, it's when the bike is subjected to in and out temperature changes that could damage a frame or parts. The garage will be perfect.

later, Chad
    Wow, that pic is so, ahem, cool!

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I work at a shop that has a college in town down in Iowa. Every once in a while we will get a college student that comes into the shop in early Spring with a chain stay that is cracked open like someone stuck a fire craker in it. What happened you ask? Well, they store the bike outside. The snow melts, the water drips into the frame. It freezes again. As it freezes, the ice expands and applies pressure on the inside of the tubing. BAMB! The frame is toast. Seen it happen atleat a handful of times.

Just something to think about.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Why would one EVER store a bike outside, let alone in a Minnesota winter? Take care of that thing or it won't treat you well in your old age....

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    I work at a shop that has a college in town down in Iowa. Every once in a while we will get a college student that comes into the shop in early Spring with a chain stay that is cracked open like someone stuck a fire craker in it. What happened you ask? Well, they store the bike outside. The snow melts, the water drips into the frame. It freezes again. As it freezes, the ice expands and applies pressure on the inside of the tubing. BAMB! The frame is toast. Seen it happen atleat a handful of times.

Just something to think about.

you're so full of sh!t. we get the same weather here and that doesn't happen. if you're really worried about your bike give it two things... oil and grease. if I have to explain what to do with oil and grease you might just believe bikes in Iowa "blow up".

frames blowing up in winter... now I've heard it all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huntforlife
    Thanks.
    Yeah I'm keeping it in a secure garage, so corrostion isn't really an issue.

no offense fella's, but if you would have read his earlier post then you would have known that he keeps it in his garage. He was worried about the COLD.

later, Chad

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    Wow, that pic is so, ahem, cool!
    No pun intended....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    That road bike is looking pretty seductive with that feather boa wrapped around her neck. Hubba hubba. Must resist.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    now I've heard it all.
    Except for that one day in chemistry when the teacher explained how water expands when it freezes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    you're so full of sh!t. we get the same weather here and that doesn't happen. if you're really worried about your bike give it two things... oil and grease. if I have to explain what to do with oil and grease you might just believe bikes in Iowa "blow up".

What you you think makes pipes burst when they freeze? What makes and engine block crack upen when the water within freezes? Why do potholes get worse in the winter? Water expands when it freezes with such foce that it will break whatever container it is in. It is entirely possible that a tube on a frame could get water trapped in it and burst when it freezes. He definetly isn't full of **** but you have shown us how to be an ass!
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

the wrench

my super winter bearter lock anywhere bike is a nishiki apache i got for free because of the drive side chainstay expanded and touched the chainrings from water freezing in the frame. since it wont see any heavy duty use i just beat the chinstay back into shape and it has since been my bike for when theres salt on the roads or im going somewhere where its gonna be locked up outside.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

Sweep the leg!
    water only expands 9% when frozen

and consider this if you have a bike assembled bad enough to let water into the frame at the top... it's gonna leak out the bottom too.

just to prove you wrong I'll fill my serotta with water and let it sit for a week. that's how sure I am that the Iowa claim is ********.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

and consider this if you have a bike assembled bad enough to let water into the frame at the top... it's gonna leak out the bottom too.

just to prove you wrong I'll fill my serotta with water and let it sit for a week. that's how sure I am that the Iowa claim is ********.
    Do whatever you like to your bike. You won't be able to prove me wrong. Your argument about assembly may or may not hold water/ice. Water being trapped in the tubes could also be a function of frame design and manufacture. 9% expansion can be more than enough to split a tube wide open or it may simply bulge the tube or it may not even be noticable. It depends on many factors like frame material, temperature, tube size,......etc. I suspect that Aluminum would be more likely to sustain major damage than steel. My other hobby involves steam engines. I have seen Sch 80 steel pipe burst from being frozen because someone forgot to drain the pipes. This pipe is much stronger than the materials used to make bicycle frames.
    If you didn't believe that frost can burst a tube that's fine. I take exception to telling someone that he is full of crap when the scenario is possible. It is possible! Prove me wrong by draing the antifreeze from your car's engine and replacing it with plain water. Next park the car in 20° or less temps for a week. If there is no damage to the engine I will be full of ****!

i worship Mr T

did someone say boa?

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    That road bike is looking pretty seductive with that feather boa wrapped around her neck. Hubba hubba. Must resist.
    sexy...

btw, very cool (pun intended) frost pic in previous post.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    sexy...
    Looks like that bike hasn't moved since you built it up. Even the boa is still clean.

When the going gets weird its bedtime.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Looks like that bike hasn't moved since you built it up. Even the boa is still clean.

hey! it's not easy to ride so fast you never get dirty.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by porkchop
    Prove me wrong by draing the antifreeze from your car's engine and replacing it with plain water.
    that is a sealed system. bicycles are generally not sealed systems. especially a poorly assemble one. your eyes are brown because you're full of sh!t.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Leave the radiator cap off. It won't be sealed but your engine block will still break when the water expands. I own an engine that this has happened to. With the bicycle tube it is likely that the drain hole that was supposed to let the water drain is plugged up with mud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

please don't take any pics. i'm sure no one here wants to see a serotta distroyed due to ignorance and stupidity.