mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Coastal trail passion: Newfoundland (pics)

Went out for a ride on the beautiful East Coast Trail a couple of weeks ago and took some pics. The trail runs along the tops of the cliffs facing the North Atlantic Ocean all along the east side of Newfoundland's Avalon Peninsula. Thought I'd share them. It's a long slog from the road to the cliffside singletrack, but once you get there it's a long gradual descent that ends on a long point of land that sticks out into the open Atlantic. The trail is a bit of a departure from the typical relentless tech around here, it's fast and flowy. Super fun with awesome scenery to boot. Apologies for the crappy photo quality.

Cliff-side singletrack

Me looking stupid as usual

Same spot looking in the other direction

More trail, 400' drop 6' off the trail not really apparent

There's the drop...

Bare rock, cliff's edge

Looking back

Nice singletrack

More bare rock

Nearest land: Ireland

Good God, even more rock!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Sweet! Looks like a nice day for it too

I saw the Newfoundland mention, and just had to checkit out. My wife and I did our honeymoon there (west side) 17 years ago.

We had a great time, and MTB was really just coming on then, in the big picture at least. We ran into a Canadian TV crew doing a story on MTBing in NF. They were saying that the island was crisscrossed with logging roads, all mapped, and the maps were available easily from the local Govt. offices. They were riding the length of it, all off road.

They were also saying that most folks thought they were nuts, and hadn't heard of, or seen MTBs, and they were feeling a bit like pioneers. Wish we could have chatted with them more, but it was really cool, they had bug, bad.

I've often wondered how the infrastructure developed, seems like a lot of open land, ripe for trails, no?

To this day, I;d love to go back and do some of it. Gros Morne was beautiful, all the "ponds", man, you live in a very cool place!

Thanks for the morning stoke
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    that looked great. thanks

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great pics, some awesome rock riding you have there.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Every NF trip report greatly appreciated

Dirt Huffer
    Wow. Amazing scenery!

TeXaS BoY
    Jan 2004
    wow! a gorgeous part of North America. Great pics. Thanks man!
    Don't live in fear. Be ready.

I love my bike like a fat kid loves cake.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Sweet! Looks like a nice day for it too

I saw the Newfoundland mention, and just had to checkit out. My wife and I did our honeymoon there (west side) 17 years ago.

We had a great time, and MTB was really just coming on then, in the big picture at least. We ran into a Canadian TV crew doing a story on MTBing in NF. They were saying that the island was crisscrossed with logging roads, all mapped, and the maps were available easily from the local Govt. offices. They were riding the length of it, all off road.

They were also saying that most folks thought they were nuts, and hadn't heard of, or seen MTBs, and they were feeling a bit like pioneers. Wish we could have chatted with them more, but it was really cool, they had bug, bad.

I've often wondered how the infrastructure developed, seems like a lot of open land, ripe for trails, no?

To this day, I;d love to go back and do some of it. Gros Morne was beautiful, all the "ponds", man, you live in a very cool place!

Thanks for the morning stoke
    Gros Morne is a very special place for sure. The east coast has some good scenery but Gros Morne is unreal. Most of the MTB trails are on the east coast, near St. John's where there's a pretty thriving scene. Lots of open land and great terrain, even 5 minutes from the city. One of the benefits of a low population density. No land use issues or trail use conflicts yet either. We're actively working to keep it that way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the comments everyone! Glad you've enjoyed them.

While we can't compete with BC, we've got some pretty nice stuff out here.

middle ring single track

From sunny California...

I'd like to make a trip to E. Canada someday---my great grandparents were from Nova Scotia, I often think about visiting there to check out my "roots". Now you've just inspired me to include Mountain Biking in my itinerary when I go!
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

New in town
    Sep 2010
    Those brought back alot of memories for me, I lived in St. Johns NF for about 2 years several years ago, spectacular views and the people are almost too nice. Where are those pics from exactly? St. phillips area?

Currently in Exile
    I've been to St. Johns a few times. Beautiful area of the world. Thanks for sharing.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Candlestick Maker
    Looks like a great place to ride! Thanks!
    baker

mtbr member
    Is that Nessy I see in the Ireland photo?
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Trail Cubist
    Beautiful pics Ron!

In 2006, I did a one-month-long, solo motorcycle journey to Newfoundland...in October! That turned out to be a spectacular time of year to ride there—zero bugs, sunny skies for the most part, and surprisingly moderate temps (in the 50s most of the time).

I had this crazy notion in my head that I was gonna ride all over "The Rock." NOT. LOL Newfoundland is a MUCH bigger island than most of us who haven't been there think. I took the ferry from Cape Breton Island (Nova Scotia) to Port Au Basque (Argentia was closed by October, and I wasn't gonna pay the $$$$$$ to take the high-speed "Cat" from Maine).

So I got to Newfoundland on the southwest corner...and ended up taking over a week just riding up the west coast. Fortunately, that turned out to be awesome! As others have said, Gros Morne National Park is stunning...and the Viking Trail (the 2-lane road that runs all the way up the west coast) is beautiful too.

I rode all the way up to L'Anse Aux Meadows, then back down to Port Au Basque (and did several side trips out to several small coastal towns).

I wanted to get to Saint John's...but it was HUNDREDS OF MILES to ride across the island on the TCH (Trans-Canada Highway) and I just didn't have the time!

So the bottom lines are:

1) Yes, Newfoundland is an AWESOME place to visit! And...
    2) Do NOT plan on seeing the entire province unless you spend a month up there. You'll either have to choose the east coast or the west coast.

Here are a few pics from my trip...all along the west coast (forgive the presence of the motorcycle in this forum!)

The Humber Arm, near Lark Harbour...

On the way to Gros Morne...

In the Tablelands...a UNESCO World Heritage sight...

Trout River Pond, Gros Morne and the Tablelands...

Peat huts at L'Anse Aux Meadows, first known point of arrival of white Europeans to North America...

Beautiful desolation on the road to Big Brook, an abandoned community...

The ghost town of Big Brook...

---
    I'm dying to get back up there for some mountain biking!
    Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

the test dummy
    wow that looks so awesome i wanna go there now!
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

rides with camera
    Another spot I must visit .......Oh great . I`ve got the traveling blues again
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Whale
    Oil
    Beef
    Hooked

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mttking
    Those brought back alot of memories for me, I lived in St. Johns NF for about 2 years several years ago, spectacular views and the people are almost too nice. Where are those pics from exactly? St. phillips area?
    The pics were taken between Torbay and Flatrock on the St. John's side of the peninsula. The terrain is quite similar to the St. Philips area.

I just finished a night ride in the Southside Hills near Kilbride. It was awesome. No pics though...

If any of you folks make your way up here don't hesitate to drop me a PM.

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Ron Hoover
    If any of you folks make your way up here don't hesitate to drop me a PM.
    ... and if you make it to the other "rock".

Attachment 573784

Attachment 573785
    Last edited by Trail Ninja; 11-26-2012 at 03:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone
    Beautiful pics Ron!

In 2006, I did a one-month-long, solo motorcycle journey to Newfoundland...in October! That turned out to be a spectacular time of year to ride there—zero bugs, sunny skies for the most part, and surprisingly moderate temps (in the 50s most of the time).

I had this crazy notion in my head that I was gonna ride all over "The Rock." NOT. LOL Newfoundland is a MUCH bigger island than most of us who haven't been there think. I took the ferry from Cape Breton Island (Nova Scotia) to Port Au Basque (Argentia was closed by October, and I wasn't gonna pay the $$$$$$ to take the high-speed "Cat" from Maine).

So I got to Newfoundland on the southwest corner...and ended up taking over a week just riding up the west coast. Fortunately, that turned out to be awesome! As others have said, Gros Morne National Park is stunning...and the Viking Trail (the 2-lane road that runs all the way up the west coast) is beautiful too.

I rode all the way up to L'Anse Aux Meadows, then back down to Port Au Basque (and did several side trips out to several small coastal towns).

I wanted to get to Saint John's...but it was HUNDREDS OF MILES to ride across the island on the TCH (Trans-Canada Highway) and I just didn't have the time!

So the bottom lines are:

1) Yes, Newfoundland is an AWESOME place to visit! And...
    2) Do NOT plan on seeing the entire province unless you spend a month up there. You'll either have to choose the east coast or the west coast.

Here are a few pics from my trip...all along the west coast (forgive the presence of the motorcycle in this forum!)

---
    I'm dying to get back up there for some mountain biking!
    Scott

Great pics! I don't think many people who haven't been here really grasp how big the island actually is. My sister who lives in Ottawa got married here on the weekend and a lot of my brother in law's family came down to St. John's. A couple of them were expecting to take a day trip to Gros Morne. Uh, Gros Morne is 800km (500mi) from here.

The west coast of the island is absolutely spectacular, but there's not much MTB action except around Corner Brook. Small population I guess. The MTB scene around St. John's is pretty healthy and we're starting to get organized with trail building and such.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    ... and if you make it to the other "rock".

Attachment 573784

Attachment 573785

Where's this? BC coast?

The wind-sculpted trees in your second picture remind me of here. It's a pretty common phenomenon out on the exposed coastal areas.

Members who have read this thread: 0