Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Clipless Pedals Only! sticker on new TREK Mtn Bikes

Bike James (James Wilson of MTB Strength Training Systems in Grand Junction, CO) has posted a blog titled Why is Trek putting an Anti-Flats sticker on their mountain bikes? about a sticker on the crank arms of all new TREK bicycles:

If you are interested in what Bike James has to say about clipless/flats, here are some of his blog entries on the subject that will clarify why he is so adamant that the new TREK stickers mislead mountain bikers:
    Flat Pedal Revolution Manifesto
    Flats vs. Clipless Pedals
    Being pro-flats doesn't mean I'm anti-clipless
    Which Muscles are Really Used During the Pedal Stroke?

He is quite passionate on the topic (in a reasonable way), so I've posted to the Passion section.
    I don't have a dog in this fight (I've ridden clipless forever, but am trying out flats and can see advantages to both).
    However, I'm riding my flats in my $75 Keen sandals and my current Sidis (the only shoes that reliably fit my skinny feet) are almost worn out. Replacement cost for Sidis? Over $260, so there's that.

mtbr member
    I read most of the attachments because it's raining and I'm not riding today. It changed nothing.

I ride clipless, my wife doesn't. On her road bike, she is consistently about 1 or 2 mph faster than me. I, on the other hand, am completely uncomfortable riding a mountain bike on flats. I even clipped in when I rode downhill. I forget the pedal but it was a larger, flat Time with the usual Time retention. I've tried flats but the resulting meat grinder injuries scared me away. That and I don't feel like I am part of the bike if not clipped in.

On my road bike, which has Looks that have a large surface area, I have no problem throwing on my Reefs and riding unclipped but for long rides, I would rather be clipped in.

One thing for sure, I'm betting that this threat is going to go on long and hard and be made up mostly of responses not based on anything close to accurate information.

PS: I too love my Sidi's for MTB and road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Rev, I never would have tried flats on the trail but I rode a 300+ mile flat-land tour (GAP/C&O Canal Towpath) in June on my hardtail with flats, wearing Keene sandals. Once I changed my foot position from pedaling on the ball of my foot (like you do with clipless) to a somewhat more neutral position between ball of foot and arch, all was well. I'm trying the flats for mtn biking on trails just to check it out and to see how it goes to try slightly more technical stuff.
    Last edited by June Bug; 10-13-2014 at 03:42 PM.

the half breed devil
    "I think that new riders should spend at least 6-12 months learning on flats before considering the switch to clipless pedals."

agreed.

mtbr member
    When we travel, we often rent bikes with flats and I have no trouble using them. I am leery about them in technical situations. It's not that I actually think I get more power using clipless, it is the fear of my foot slipping off the pedal.

I may get a pair of decent flats to switch now and then on my next bike - or not.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Please, not another thread about clipless vs. flats. I think the OP is more about why Trek would label their bikes this way. Really weird. Does Trek make a bunch of clipless pedals or something?

mtbr member
    it just means a device to prevent foot from slipping forward on pedals

nothing more than a lawyer sticker

mtbr member
    Another sticker that we don't need to mind, but I think it's misleading to newbies as well, especially with biased clipless riders being so vocal about their passion. (I primarily ride clipless.)

CDK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    it just means a device to prevent foot from slipping forward on pedals

nothing more than a lawyer sticker
    One could argue that having your feet stuck to the pedals would be more dangerous than your foot potentially slipping off the pedal so ill vote "no" on the lawyer sticker reasoning for them putting the stickers on the bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah, if it was a legal thing, wouldn't all bikes have that sticker? Check out the links in the OP. It makes no sense. Putting a newb in clips would be a bad idea.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I read all of that and I am truly impressed by the runaround he says he got trying to get to the bottom of why that sticker is there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    What this probably says is that the bottom bracket and/or crank arms will only be warranted with use of clipless. Probably wears/stresses parts worse with flats than with push/pull of clipless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That guy is nuts! That said he does have a point. Although any time you run something up a big corporate chain you get similar misinformation. Not a big deal here. Most likely someone at Trek screwed something up and ran with it. I don't think it's a conspiracy like he is thinking.

mtbr member
    I found that article is kind of sad, and I honestly think bj just needs to find a way to let go of his anger against clipless and move on.

There is no anti-flats agenda, but that sticker is a little weird. Don't buy a Trek if it offends you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Its a lawyer thing. I notice it more on road bikes and bikes that are not entry level/don't come with pedals.

I'm pretty sure it boils down to the fact that these bikes are designed to be ridden hard, and if something happens while someone is riding hard because their foot slips they don't want someone pointing the finger at them and saying they didn't equip the bike properly.

Just a guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It looks like the sticker was applied by a lazy shop mechanic (different place on each crank). In my work I have some!e dealings with attorneys from Europe. They have their ways and we have ours. Sometimes they just don't understand us and we don't understand them. Looks like a similar kind of thing happened here. It would be interesting to see if spesh has similar stickers or whether it was only trek.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Looks open to interpretation to me? It doesn't say "This bike is to be equipped with ONLY pedals that have..."

The text says that it is compatible, possibly preferable, but not a requirement really. Run whatever pedals you want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Something doesn't add up here. Why would they be worried about legal issues around slips off platforms and not about the inevitable fallovers by noobs on clipless and everyone who has ever used toe clips?

At any rate, it seems like a pretty dumb thing to do given the current popularity of platforms on mountain bikes.

Attack Position
    Can we send 'Bike James' after some real issues? Something worth all that passion?
    Lone biker of the apocalypse.

mtbr member
    If your "real issues" aren't worth even an example, I don't think they are very significant ones.

Attack Position
    Here's one - Saul is a grumpy bastard.
    Lone biker of the apocalypse.

Never Forget 9-11
    I say buy the Trek, put flats on it, and ride it with the sticker still on.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    Clipless vs flats... I am so over it dude...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Clipless Pedals Only! sticker on new TREK Mtn Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBrnr View Post
    What this probably says is that the bottom bracket and/or crank arms will only be warranted with use of clipless. Probably wears/stresses parts worse with flats than with push/pull of clipless.
    Uh. No.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    I am leery about them in technical situations. It's not that I actually think I get more power using clipless, it is the fear of my foot slipping off the pedal.
    Usually that fear is from not using the right technique to stick, especially if you are on the seat through rock gardens. Keeping your heels low with some weight on the pedal will make bumps drive the pedal into your foot instead of bouncing you off.

Fabian did a video on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZKhkyoOcdg

Doing that I've stuck like glue to Walmart pedals with short rounded cast aluminum pins.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast