bob
    mtbr member

Cleaning braking surface on rims?

I just bought a used set of wheels that were previously used with rim brakes but the hubs are disc hubs. I'm using discs and the rims are silver. I'd like to clean the braking surface of the rims to remove the pad residue. Yeah, I know, it's only cosmetics. Is there anything that really works?

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    I just bought a used set of wheels that were previously used with rim brakes but the hubs are disc hubs. I'm using discs and the rims are silver. I'd like to clean the braking surface of the rims to remove the pad residue. Yeah, I know, it's only cosmetics. Is there anything that really works?
    Go down to the local Ace Hardware store and get a package of XXX stainless steel pads, like SOS only without the soap. That will take off the brake residue and make the rim surface all new and shiney lookin.

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    There's probably 100's of ways to clean the braking area of a rim. You might try an SOS pad or some other type of scouring pad. This should help remove any rubber on the rim and not scratch the rim. Course, if the rim was used with V-brakes, it's probably already scratched.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

i worship Mr T
    windex or any other amonia based solvent works pretty well. i think i've also used simple green with success.

i'd be careful using steel wool on rims. don't get over-zealous in trying to get stuff off or you could potentially thin the metal. also, if you are going to use steel wool i'd go with the ultra fine stuff. not sure if the XXX pads recommended by the other poster are ultra fine but you can get the ultra fine stuff at your local home despot or lowes for something like $2 for a big bag of it.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member

Yet another idea....

Get yourself some green "Scotchbrite" pads. Dip them in some warm water and attack the sidewalls. Worked like a charm for me.

190lbs of climber

rubbing alcohol

isopropil rubbing alcohol on a rag will get any rubber/oil residue off of anything. I use it a few times a year on my disc rotors too.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    We used to take a wire wheel on a bench grinder, and holding the wheel by the axle, let the wire wheel hit em. This got the poop off faster than anything, and created a nice textured surface that was really grippy in the wet. You can do that sort of thing when you're sponsored and you're not worried about the lifespan of your wheels.
    Nothing left to lose, & half mad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I use goo-gone. It's oily, but it works really well.

I <3 29ers
    Agreed with not using steel wool - it's too abraisive. Reserve it for only the toughest of stains.

I've had great success with ScotchBrite pads myself. Follow up with acetone to remove any possible pad contaminants and you're ready to go. Better than new even.

Remember to check out your pads and maybe clean them, too. No point making the rims "just so" and then not giving the same consideration to the pads.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Meh.
    Mavic makes a soft stone for cleaning rims. http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/p/pro....php?gamme=vtt

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJD
    Get yourself some green "Scotchbrite" pads. Dip them in some warm water and attack the sidewalls. Worked like a charm for me.
    Yes, a good degreaser (can be bought by the gallon for cheap at an auto store) helps immensely.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.