mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Classic Santa Cruz Blur - New?

I have a classic Santa Cruz Blur (around '04). I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on buying a new ride or upgrading some of my components to refresh. I am not sure if there has been enough change in frame technology to justify.

I have Mavic Crosslands, Raceface Cranks, and an XT comp. set

Interested to hear where I can get the best return.

David

b a n n e d
    Bikes have evolved tremendously in the past decade. But if you like the Blur and its still a good fit for you, then why get rid of it?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

CEO Product Failure
    Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

FWIW, I had an '03 Blur (citrus-lime color) up until I watched this video. Tech has certainly changed in a decade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Carbon frames are obviously a big upgrade from aluminum, but that's not what he asked.

I also have a Blur LT classic. When you talk about upgrading i think the most important question is "to what?". The Blur LT2 or TR is a more modern 26" bike so i think it makes a good comparison. Most of the threads i've read on MTBR about people who switched to the Blur LT2 were pretty luke-warm for the amount of money spent--the LT2 pedals better, but has less small bump sensitivity. The linkages are stronger on the LT2 but i haven't really had problems with mine.

On the other hand if you're talking about upgrading to a brand new carbon 650b bike with xx1 then yeah, you'll probably notice a big difference!

I've been making some small upgrades to my classic LT and it has really brought the bike to life. I switched to a 150mm RS Revelation on the front (which slackens the bike out, something people liked about the LT2 and other more modern bikes) and an XFusion O2 rear shock which made a HUGE difference in the pedaling department compared to my old Fox RP3. In all i don't have a ton of experience riding newer bikes but my old LT1 feels great and can handle just about anything i've thrown at it.
    Blur LT & Highball

BuckyFullerFan
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by snoword View Post
    I have a classic Santa Cruz Blur (around '04). I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on buying a new ride or upgrading some of my components to refresh. I am not sure if there has been enough change in frame technology to justify.

David
    The Blur is still a great bike but keep in mind aluminum frames only have a fatigue life of about 5 years so if you already have 3-4 years of actual ride time on this frame it would be far better to buy something new. I currently ride an new condition classic 03 alongside my new chinese generic single pivot 27er . The big changes compared to todays bike frames are of course the wheelsize and rear shock. Head angles can be changed with a headset if you want to jump on the slack trend . The Blur classic bike can be made seriously nice with a new ctd shock and 27er front wheel .I still love the feel of the Blur suspension just wish the frame was lighter.

mtbr member
    Cool video Bingemtbr. ...makes me want to go out and buy a carbon frame.

MarkyMark
    The Blur is still a fantastic bike. I have a '03 Blur Classic that I still ride.

That being said, a new bike every decade seems very reasonable. If you want to save money or don't want to have another full bike then you can try swapping your old components onto your new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by snoword View Post

singletrack bound
    And that is how this got named.....

Back in the day......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I should have added--if you've been putting a lot of miles on your Blur since '04 or whenever, you're probably about due.

I only started upgrading mine because mine is an '06 that was never ridden until '11.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    First off how much has it been ridden and how hard (what kind of terrain).
    Have you ridden it steady since 04? Like every weekend and occassional after work rides. Where I live, the pacific northwest, we ride yearround. So that's every weekend. And the terrain and weather can be tough on equiptment.
    If you're like me, I hardly miss a weekend (out of 52 I ride 45 to 50 a year). And then in the summer 2-3 times a week after work. I also have a '04 BLUR. It's an awesome bike but I replaced it in '10 with a heckler.
    So yes if it was me I would get a new bike. I would not upgrade the parts. Just put your money into a new technology bike.
    For up here in the pacific northwest my first choice would be the new carbon heckler with 27.5 wheels and all XTR.
    Nothing beats a new bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Go test ride some bikes at your LBS and make an informed decision. Chances r u will conclude that either a 29er or 27.5 bike performs better than an old school 26er but like all things personal taste varies so who knows where your decision will land. Personally I think buying a 27.5 is like deciding to be half pregnant and that your better off going the full monty and moving to a 29er but that is my opinion. Just like a 26er will out accelerate and be more nimble in very tight singletrack than a 27.5 the same goes for a 27.5 vs a 29er but you need to consider the trails you ride, style of riding etc. IMO when considering the diversity of trails most MTB riders spend the vast majority of their time on a 29er wins hands down. Then there is the hardtail vs. full squish decision .... another can of worms that will come down to personal taste. Good luck and try to demo as many bikes as possible.

Currently in Exile
    I replaced my '04 Blur in 2012. I tested the waters with some ful suspension 29ers but found them to be sluggish in the handling dept. As 650B wasn't an option at the time, I chose a 2012 Blur XC and have zero regrets. I like a bike with a racey feel to it and the Blur XC has that in spades. The frame is so much lighter than the classic and the geometry has been tweaked even further than on the classic towards race day whip.

I understand the Tallboy handles better than most FS 29 ers. I never had the chance to ride one. But if your heart is set on wagon wheels, it is a great option.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurbikerider View Post
    The Blur is still a great bike but keep in mind aluminum frames only have a fatigue life of about 5 years so if you already have 3-4 years of actual ride time on this frame it would be far better to buy something new. I currently ride an new condition classic 03 alongside my new chinese generic single pivot 27er . The big changes compared to todays bike frames are of course the wheelsize and rear shock. Head angles can be changed with a headset if you want to jump on the slack trend . The Blur classic bike can be made seriously nice with a new ctd shock and 27er front wheel .I still love the feel of the Blur suspension just wish the frame was lighter.
    Where does this fatigue life on aluminum frames come from? I work on 50 year old aircraft. Yes, we do find the occasional crack, but it's over 50 years old! I know that lots of companies would only warrenty their high end uberlight race bike frames for only five years, but that doesn't mran that the fatigue life was that short. Based on what I know of the industies abundance of caution, you could most likely double that for real world riding quite safely. That is as long as you are,t doing three foot drops to flat all the time on an XC race whip.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea