Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    the cool nerd
    Reputation: sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,643

    Christmas Eve in the 505

    Since the current snow pack in NM dictates that prudent riders get their trail miles in now, before the forests are closed for the summer, and the temperatures are so nice (for April), a few of us hooked up for a ride on Christmas Eve, at 1/2 of the Christmas Mesas.....

    Five of us looking forward to what the day has in store for us. The temperature was great, but the wind was blustery...



    RtransplantfromCali was all smiles all day...



    Despite the wind, no one was blown off the trails...



    mtn. biker123 after his 10th flat of the day (or something like that....)


  2. #2
    the cool nerd
    Reputation: sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,643
    customary shots of...

    RtransplantfromClai looking on as notaknob drops...



    fr rider....


    notaknob....


    mtn. biker123


    and RtransplantfromCali


  3. #3
    the cool nerd
    Reputation: sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,643
    and a little more playtime...

    fr ride .....


    notaknob notajumper



    Rtransplantfromcali with a better line



    sportsman almost getting jiggy



    Thanks for the ride guys, and thanks for the libations RtransplantfromCali

  4. #4
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543
    good stuff scott. happy holidays to you & yours.

    rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

    [SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

  5. #5
    Ride Hard, Ride Free
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    427
    It was a great ride fellas. Thanks for the post Scott.
    Last edited by fr-rider; 12-28-2005 at 11:54 AM.

  6. #6
    Bandolero
    Reputation: notaknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,428

    brrr......

    damn partly cloudy days... I managed to get sunburned.

    I headed out there on the 26th and rode it again. There was almost no wind and I did the ride in shortsleeves. Since I was on my own and it was about 3ish, I didn't do any exploring but was wondering if there were trails west of the R/W mesa.

    Anybody gone out futher on the BLM lands that are west/south of there?
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: Mtn. Biker123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,330
    Yes...great ride. I look forward to exploring that area to the fullest. Thanks to everyone who made the experience and the trail system possible.

  8. #8
    RCC
    RCC is offline
    Bandolero
    Reputation: RCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,501

    nice scott

    scott nice pics,really nice meeting u and good ride.looking forward to hook up with u again dude.Ramon.

    p.s.
    next time i'll make sure i'll bring more libations(beers)so we can drink at least two. one just wasn't enough! take care man.
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

  9. #9
    RCC
    RCC is offline
    Bandolero
    Reputation: RCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,501

    own brew..

    notaknob(bruce) looking forward to sample your own creation(brew) later.Ramon...
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    52
    [QUOTE=sportsman]Since the current snow pack in NM dictates that prudent riders get their trail miles in now, before the forests are closed for the summer, and the temperatures are so nice (for April), a few of us hooked up for a ride on Christmas Eve, at 1/2 of the Christmas Mesas.....

    Gotta' ask, where is this ?. Topozone couldn't find it.

    SB

  11. #11
    Bandolero
    Reputation: notaknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,428

    Stfw

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighting Guy
    Gotta' ask, where is this ?. Topozone couldn't find it.
    SB
    I'd asked the same thing. Details are in the NM board here.

    You can thank these people for making it possible (when their site comes back up).

    Bruce
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

  12. #12
    RCC
    RCC is offline
    Bandolero
    Reputation: RCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,501
    Gotta' ask, where is this ?. Topozone couldn't find it.

    SB[/QUOTE]
    15-20 miles west of albuquerque.
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation: Mtn. Biker123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,330
    [QUOTE=Lighting Guy]
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    Since the current snow pack in NM dictates that prudent riders get their trail miles in now, before the forests are closed for the summer, and the temperatures are so nice (for April), a few of us hooked up for a ride on Christmas Eve, at 1/2 of the Christmas Mesas.....

    Gotta' ask, where is this ?. Topozone couldn't find it.

    SB
    Hey, LG here ya go merry christmas:


    Leave Albuq going north on I25 and take the exit going North 550 (Exit at Bernalillo)
    Go ~25miles and take a left on Cabezon Rd. If you go to San Ysidero you went to far.
    Cabezon Rd is dirt and will have a fork in it as soon as you trun on to it. One goes to privet gypsum mine and will say privet road. The left fork is the one to take. Go down this road ~2 miles and you will see a sign on your right. Park and ride. The sign is to keep out motor vehicles. Sorry for the about distances but I went last weekend and didn’t take a GPS or camera (boy did I mess up). Mapquest
    San Ysidero, NM and Sandoval County and zoom in you’ll see the road. Also go to passion and see the thread called 3 days.

    Then when you get there.........

    There are probably several options for a ride at White Mesa but what seems to give me the most pleasure is to do this:

    From the parking are just over the cattle guard at the fence where there is a brown sign that says "Public Lands", ride up the dirt road ~1/4 mile to just about the top of the hill. You will see a two track heading off to the right (north) side of the main dirt road that goes to a fence with a track around it to the left. Ride around the fence and go up a short steep bit to a T in the road. Go right and follow the main dirt road up to a hill in the distance that is north of you. This road will eventually begin turning left and continue up as you approach the hill. At the bottom of the hill you will notice several tracks going up on to the hill. Ride up there to the geosurvey marker and have a good look around. You will now be facing the point where the photo above was taken and you can see most of White Mesa in front of you.

    From here I like to do the ride in a clockwise fashion. There are two trails leading over to the left (south, southwest) rim. Take the one further to the left as the one closer in drops down into some gullies that you will have to hike out of. Once on the rim you will have to cross two fence lines but the single track is obvious. It undulates across this ridge for a couple of miles with some short climbs and plenty of super fun full speed single track. Eventually you will drop down to a part I like to call the "bandaide" which is just a giant mesh erosion barrier that was put down when this section was bull dozed to put in a gas pipe line many years ago. At the far side of this bandaide you will be looking at a short cliff. You can climb straight up the middle or walk around to you left. Once on top you will climb a dirt road for about a half mile or so.

    As this road begins to drop look for a single track banging off to your right next to one of the power line poles. The road drops off to the left and is very steep. Could be a fun descent on the road but the single track is better. (This single track can be seen from hwy. 550 as you are driving south.) Eventually you will pop off the far end of this ridge onto a dirt road. Follow the road around to your right, back tracking underneath the ridge you just rode out across. You will see several cow tracks that make for fun riding but make sure you don't smack your rear derailleur too hard on any of the many rocks lying next to the trail because this is the furtherest possible point from the car. Once you are out in the middle of the open flat cow pasture, you want to head directly across towards the hill on the far side with the shimmering soda dams on it. To get there you could just take the dirt road or you can follow one of the cow tracks. Eventually you will end up on this dirt road again.

    Once on the dirt road, follow it past what looks like a single track off to your left and continue to climb on this road. The trail you see goes through an area of fragile soda dams that has sustained much damage from folks riding on it. You could continue to destroy this fragile landscape by riding it or you could just enjoy it from afar and climb on the road instead. The FOO folks will say otherwise. You decide what you want to leave for future mountainbikers to see.

    After a mile or two and some minor climbs on this two track you will find yourself at a junction where the road splits. The right fork heads over to the Dragons back and you will have to hike out if you go this way. The left fork in the road continues to climb just a little bit more and then comes to another split. Take the right fork here, continuing another couple of minutes and then look for a single track marked by a pole off to your right. At this point you can see the hill where the geosurvey marker was. Just keep heading in that direction to complete the loop and then return the way you came.

    If you hammer the entire route it can be done in an hour. If you stop and play or take pictures it could easily take 2 or more hours. The loop distance is something like 12 miles from the parking area. There are other options but I will not describe them here.

    These are compliments of XTR Kona...shoot him a PM for good directions

    Laters!

  14. #14
    fraid of heights
    Reputation: stiingya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Hey, LG here ya go merry christmas:


    Leave Albuq going north on I25 and take the exit going North 550 (Exit at Bernalillo)
    Go ~25miles and take a left on Cabezon Rd. If you go to San Ysidero you went to far.
    Cabezon Rd is dirt and will have a fork in it as soon as you trun on to it. One goes to privet gypsum mine and will say privet road. The left fork is the one to take. Go down this road ~2 miles and you will see a sign on your right. Park and ride. The sign is to keep out motor vehicles. Sorry for the about distances but I went last weekend and didn’t take a GPS or camera (boy did I mess up). Mapquest
    San Ysidero, NM and Sandoval County and zoom in you’ll see the road. Also go to passion and see the thread called 3 days.

    Then when you get there.........

    There are probably several options for a ride at White Mesa but what seems to give me the most pleasure is to do this:

    From the parking are just over the cattle guard at the fence where there is a brown sign that says "Public Lands", ride up the dirt road ~1/4 mile to just about the top of the hill. You will see a two track heading off to the right (north) side of the main dirt road that goes to a fence with a track around it to the left. Ride around the fence and go up a short steep bit to a T in the road. Go right and follow the main dirt road up to a hill in the distance that is north of you. This road will eventually begin turning left and continue up as you approach the hill. At the bottom of the hill you will notice several tracks going up on to the hill. Ride up there to the geosurvey marker and have a good look around. You will now be facing the point where the photo above was taken and you can see most of White Mesa in front of you.

    From here I like to do the ride in a clockwise fashion. There are two trails leading over to the left (south, southwest) rim. Take the one further to the left as the one closer in drops down into some gullies that you will have to hike out of. Once on the rim you will have to cross two fence lines but the single track is obvious. It undulates across this ridge for a couple of miles with some short climbs and plenty of super fun full speed single track. Eventually you will drop down to a part I like to call the "bandaide" which is just a giant mesh erosion barrier that was put down when this section was bull dozed to put in a gas pipe line many years ago. At the far side of this bandaide you will be looking at a short cliff. You can climb straight up the middle or walk around to you left. Once on top you will climb a dirt road for about a half mile or so.

    As this road begins to drop look for a single track banging off to your right next to one of the power line poles. The road drops off to the left and is very steep. Could be a fun descent on the road but the single track is better. (This single track can be seen from hwy. 550 as you are driving south.) Eventually you will pop off the far end of this ridge onto a dirt road. Follow the road around to your right, back tracking underneath the ridge you just rode out across. You will see several cow tracks that make for fun riding but make sure you don't smack your rear derailleur too hard on any of the many rocks lying next to the trail because this is the furtherest possible point from the car. Once you are out in the middle of the open flat cow pasture, you want to head directly across towards the hill on the far side with the shimmering soda dams on it. To get there you could just take the dirt road or you can follow one of the cow tracks. Eventually you will end up on this dirt road again.

    Once on the dirt road, follow it past what looks like a single track off to your left and continue to climb on this road. The trail you see goes through an area of fragile soda dams that has sustained much damage from folks riding on it. You could continue to destroy this fragile landscape by riding it or you could just enjoy it from afar and climb on the road instead. The FOO folks will say otherwise. You decide what you want to leave for future mountainbikers to see.

    After a mile or two and some minor climbs on this two track you will find yourself at a junction where the road splits. The right fork heads over to the Dragons back and you will have to hike out if you go this way. The left fork in the road continues to climb just a little bit more and then comes to another split. Take the right fork here, continuing another couple of minutes and then look for a single track marked by a pole off to your right. At this point you can see the hill where the geosurvey marker was. Just keep heading in that direction to complete the loop and then return the way you came.

    If you hammer the entire route it can be done in an hour. If you stop and play or take pictures it could easily take 2 or more hours. The loop distance is something like 12 miles from the parking area. There are other options but I will not describe them here.

    These are compliments of XTR Kona...shoot him a PM for good directions

    Laters!

    Thanks for the detailed instructions and ride suggesitons. I was afraid it would be too windy to ride there tomorrow. But the pictures on this board make this ride look to cool to pass up. Reminds me of riding in the bookcliffs up in colorado!

    Thanks again, I love it when people post amazing riding photo's on this forum. But I love it so much more when they share information so that other riders can benifit!

    Later...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    What's "the 505"?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    What's "the 505"?
    All of New Mexico is in area code 505

    SB

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Oh no... it's spreading!

    First California with their references to "THE 5, THE 101" now NM referring to a number with "the" introducing a number! It's kind of like answering the question, "what color is the sky," with, "the blue."

    Why, why, why??? What's wrong with saying "Christmas Eve in 505"?

    "article: Any of three words used to signal the presence of a noun. A and an are known as indefinite articles; the is the definite article."

    When did a number that describes something become a noun in and of itself? Ugh.

    Sorry for the rant but hearing that is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  18. #18
    old skool newbie
    Reputation: goldenboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    802

    picking on sematics

    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    st California with their references to "THE 5, THE 101" now NM referring to a number with "the" introducing a number! It's kind of like answering the question, "what color is the sky," with, "the blue."

    Why, why, why??? What's wrong with saying "Christmas Eve in 505"?

    "article: Any of three words used to signal the presence of a noun. A and an are known as indefinite articles; the is the definite article."
    When did a number that describes something become a noun in and of itself? Ugh.
    Sorry for the rant but hearing that is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
    I think that the sentence is incomplete, but still correct. The '505' is describing (adjective) the area code (noun) so the correct sentence might go something like this:

    Christmas in the "505" area code. unless it's - Christmas in '505', the area code.

    Sorry for the rant on your rant skiahh, perhaps the explanation might relieve your fingernail simile. just pickin on ya for pickin'

    back to topic:
    those are some great pics, and although they don't show the wind, i can still relate especially after today's ride home, it sure was great on the way tho'

  19. #19
    fraid of heights
    Reputation: stiingya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Again, thanks for the directions! I thought this was a great ride! Funny that the way I have always heard people talk about White Mesa like it was just a trail to ride in winter when you can't ride anywhere else. But I thought it was totally fun!!!

    Only thing is that I would include in trail descriptions that the wind can be pretty ferocious!!! I felt like my stem was crooked or something for as hard as I had to push left to keep going straight! And then when I got to the cliff the wind was blocked. I climbed around to the left side with my bike riased up on my shoulder. And then suddenly as I came around the cliff the wind hit me and just about threw me off the side! Fun stuff, but pretty scarry!

    Then as I past the power lines and started to drop down at the end of the dragons tail the wind so so bad it was hard to just stand there to take a picture! So as I am riding down I wheelie dropped a little jump. I was totally trying to take it easy since the wind was so harsh. As the front end raised my wheel instantly pushed right, but I was prepared for that. But then just before my front wheel landed my back wheel was off the jump. And whoosh! the back end just whipped to the right and slid out from under me! I sprained my ankle a bit because I couldn't get my foot out of the clip. Again, Fun stuff!

    This was a really great ride! Thanks for the scoop!

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation: Mtn. Biker123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya
    Again, thanks for the directions! I thought this was a great ride! Funny that the way I have always heard people talk about White Mesa like it was just a trail to ride in winter when you can't ride anywhere else. But I thought it was totally fun!!!

    Only thing is that I would include in trail descriptions that the wind can be pretty ferocious!!! I felt like my stem was crooked or something for as hard as I had to push left to keep going straight! And then when I got to the cliff the wind was blocked. I climbed around to the left side with my bike riased up on my shoulder. And then suddenly as I came around the cliff the wind hit me and just about threw me off the side! Fun stuff, but pretty scarry!

    Then as I past the power lines and started to drop down at the end of the dragons tail the wind so so bad it was hard to just stand there to take a picture! So as I am riding down I wheelie dropped a little jump. I was totally trying to take it easy since the wind was so harsh. As the front end raised my wheel instantly pushed right, but I was prepared for that. But then just before my front wheel landed my back wheel was off the jump. And whoosh! the back end just whipped to the right and slid out from under me! I sprained my ankle a bit because I couldn't get my foot out of the clip. Again, Fun stuff!

    This was a really great ride! Thanks for the scoop!

    No problem...hope the directions were not too confusing. I understand you got lost a couple of times. I think we are headed up there next Saturday w/some folks coming in from Maine. You are welcome to join...Probably meet up there between 10am-11am. I will post.

    Laters,
    Bryan

  21. #21
    fraid of heights
    Reputation: stiingya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    No problem...hope the directions were not too confusing. I understand you got lost a couple of times. I think we are headed up there next Saturday w/some folks coming in from Maine. You are welcome to join...Probably meet up there between 10am-11am. I will post.

    Laters,
    Bryan
    Yea, I got excited the first section of singletrack I saw and just went. And ended up back at my car a few minutes later. Short ride!

    The second time up I paid more attention to where I was going and the directions were perfect. I aprieciate the offer to meet for a ride, but I will be stuck part of Saturday trying to organize the garage to fit more stuff in there. Though I was thinking about going up that way again and hitting that trials area some more. That area is pretty unique in that many sections of the trails I rode there wasn't much of a trail. You just looked for the next trail marker and headed that way the best you could! And then the actual single track sections where your suppossed to stay on the trail were really fun as well. Some great steep decents, though so far the ones I found were pretty short. Pretty loose and rocky/sandy too so I had to watch the speed. I know I endoed pretty bad once in one of the dry river beds, but I bet I got tossed of the bike to some degree or another at least 5 times! Totally worth it though.

    Maybe I'll be getting up there by the time your group is comming back. If you see a red heckler on top of a dodge intrepid that's me.

    Have a good one...

  22. #22
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy
    picking on sematics

    I think that the sentence is incomplete, but still correct. The '505' is describing (adjective) the area code (noun) so the correct sentence might go something like this:

    Christmas in the "505" area code. unless it's - Christmas in '505', the area code.

    Sorry for the rant on your rant skiahh, perhaps the explanation might relieve your fingernail simile. just pickin on ya for pickin'
    Then I'll pick on you for picking on the picking.

    It's semaNtics not sematics.

    sematic
    se·mat·ic (s-mtk)
    adj.

    Serving as a warning or signal of danger. Used especially of the coloring of some poisonous animals.


    Nice pics Scott.

  23. #23
    I <3 NM
    Reputation: MTBNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,099
    Thanks for the photos and thanks for the directions.

    I travel to Los Lunas once or twice a year and I was looking for some cool new places to ride other than the Alb foothills and Otero (is it still open?).
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •