Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Carrying a fishing Rod. Show your setup!

I was wondering how others who fish using their mountain bikes transporting their Rods and such. I just bought a cheapo Coleman Hydration pack at Wallyworld that will allow me to carry a ultralight broke down with the reel in the pouch and the rod sticking straight out he top. I am looking to find holes that are out of walking distance for most anglers thinking the fishing might be better. I am going to carry the rest of my tackle in a fanny pack. Lets see you set ups.

DIY all the way
    I used to fish.

Back in the day I taped the rod to the top tube of my hardtail.

Magura

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just put a collapsing/six piece rod into your backpack or Camelbak.

Here are a few options for packable rods, with many more out there:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...0;cat105573780

http://www.emmrod.com/

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...shing_rod.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlh
    Just put a collapsing/six piece rod into your backpack or Camelbak.

Here are a few options for packable rods, with many more out there:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...0;cat105573780

http://www.emmrod.com/

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...shing_rod.html
    Those are fine if you want to carry a fly rod, My ultralight sticks out of the pack around 15"-18" inches and seems to be out of the way except for a low tree limb. I am going to see how it shakes out as I really like the Fenwick two piece UL rod.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a telescoping rod for the bike, it easily fits in a backpack.

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    I just put my 4pc rod case tie wrap to camelbak, chestpak on for my flies,reels whatever else in camelbak and put my little wader bag on handlebars doesnt work out to bad.But my dad has a rack on his bike and puts everything on there its a little better setup than mine.

It's about showing up.
    I have a 5-piece fiberglas rod withe a reversable handle for spin and fly.

Done deal.

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Goin a little old school using fiberglass as a fly rod.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Is this cheating?

Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you have fixed rods, tying it to your top tube with the rod's handle on the seat posts would do, extra care on navigating tight corners though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I biked once and used tape and taped the rod around my top tube with the hook towards the back wheel. Worked fine but just had to cut the tape off every time I stopped
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

official eMpTyBRain
    Haven't considered carrying a rod while mtn biking but when I was a kid and riding BMX bikes, I'd run the rod forward through my jeans or shorts belt loops and rest the tip on my handlebars as i rode to the local fish'n hole...

Thanks for reminding me of those days!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura
    I used to fish.

Back in the day I taped the rod to the top tube of my hardtail.

Magura
    Me too except I used velcro straps. Two piece rod. The reel hung under the seat. Worked perfectly and never got in the way. Wore a hipsack type tackle box around my waste to carry the essentials
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 06-01-2011 at 08:44 AM.
    No moss...

canuck
    I use this ---> fishy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley
    Those are fine if you want to carry a fly rod, My ultralight sticks out of the pack around 15"-18" inches and seems to be out of the way except for a low tree limb. I am going to see how it shakes out as I really like the Fenwick two piece UL rod.
    This is one of the links I should have included:

http://www.nextag.com/Zebco-Ready-Ta...42/prices-html

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Haven't done it fior fishing, but I went hunting on state forrest property. The trail in is a little long (about 4 -5 miles) and kinda flat. I took our old child trailer, hooked it to my bike, and filled it with my treestand, bow, cooler, and other needed things. It worked great especialy hauling out the deer.

My spelling is atroshus

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Get a rod sleeve and some velcro pump staps for the top tube. I did that with my one piece baitcasters when I fished a lot of golf course lakes for bass in my childhood. I never broke a rod. It sounds like you don't want to go to a telescoping or multi-piece rod because you probably have gotten used to the better feel of your rod, and you didn't say that you are fly fishing. Your two piece spinning rod should fit okay on the top tube. The telescoping poles are great for fishing small creeks with overhanging trees because you can collapse them into your pack when you go through heavy growth areas. I have caught a ton of creek fish on a telescoping rod, but I have never seen a telescoping rod that is real high quality or casts as well as a one or two piece rod. I avoid them when accurate casts with light lures are necessary. You probably already know that your ultralight is best for areas where light tackle and short accurate casts are necessary. My Camelback, or a day pack, can carry all the tackle that I need.

Single Speed Junkie
    My family fishes on a rather regular basis. I'm more of a cyclist, but still enjoy getting out there. With most fishing setups I found they don't pack all that well. That being said I did find one method that does work really well for bike packing and fishing.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_in...products_id/35

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Reel rests in bottle cage, Surly junk strap holds it perfectly to the top tube. Tackle box in a backpack. Worked like a charm.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Flaccid Member
    The areas I like to fly fish at are usually Wilderness Areas, for genetically pure species of trout and Cutthroats so it's just better to hike the last 3 or 4 miles in for the fishing. That and mechanized travel is not permitted. It keeps Gu wrappers and Shot Blocks out of the area too, so to me, the hike in and out seems worth it.

mtbr member
    Pocket Fisherman!

mtbr member
    funny this thread came up. I'm hoping to get a fishing rod soon for my rides. I looked at a few at Cabelas.
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I use a Diawa ultra/light break-down that has a cool carry box it fits in my creel then strap creel to camel-back.

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    My family fishes on a rather regular basis. I'm more of a cyclist, but still enjoy getting out there. With most fishing setups I found they don't pack all that well. That being said I did find one method that does work really well for bike packing and fishing.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_in...products_id/35
    I'm hoping to give that a try this summer, my nephew told me about it... Sounds like a blast!
    2011 Salsa Mukluk / 2006 KTM 400 EXC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast