Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Don't worry, be happy!
    up to you I guess, if it's important to you.

I really don't want this to turn into a what's right or wrong thread - as we all can see there are a lot of ways to do it. What's comfortable for me may be too much crap to haul for someone else and there is nothing wrong with that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    All good, no instigation intended.

It is amusing to know what some consider de rigueur. So I guess this thread is about camping gear buyers as much as it is camping gear. Again, all good by me. Cheers...

Stainless steel thermos for tea or coffee on rest mornings.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Needs change, too. I used to sleep on a 1/2" thermarest and drink instant coffee; 30 years later you can have the 2-1/2" deluxe thermarest on a cot over my dead body and have my drip coffee if you can rip it out of my cold dead hands .

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Office episodes on the smartphone, formica? Kosher?
    Right now in my house if a new episode of Fargo came out while we were camping, we'd have to get a satellite dish for the van.

Rogue Exterminator
    Coleman camp table from Walmart.
    The stock paper towel holder was junk and broke the second I removed it from the box so I made one with a coat hanger. Other than that, the thing is pretty decent quality for the price ($90 if I remember right) and is awesomely convenient.
    A few things were bent in shipping but easily straightened.

Car Camping hacks and must haves :)-10334428_10201954251124753_7722917410152145776_n.jpg
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Magically Delicious
    One of the coolest most useful additions I have made to our road trip repertoire is adding a 7 ft. x 4.5 ft. flat deck above our camper shelled truck. Its predominate design is not for hauling stuff on, but rather to use as an upper sleeping deck and place to just hang out and watch the surroundings while consuming a well-crafted IPA.

We donít camp in campgrounds, but mainly spend days at a time traversing the National Forests on 4x4 or logging roads. We pull over and camp wherever thereís a good view or other good reason to remain the evening there. We prefer solidarity and seclusion...free from the incessant noise and traffic of traditional campgrounds. We travel fully self-contained and can usually remain in the backcountry for a week or more without coming out to reality.
    Last edited by Cleared2land; 06-11-2014 at 04:42 AM.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    One of the coolest most useful additions I have made to our road trip repertoire is adding a 7 ft. x 4.5 ft. flat deck above our camper shelled truck. Its predominate design is not for hauling stuff on, but rather to use as an upper sleeping deck and place to just hang out and watch the surroundings while consuming a well-crafted IPA.

We donít camp in campgrounds, but mainly spend days at a time traversing the National Forests on 4x4 or logging roads. We pull over and camp wherever thereís a good view or other good reason to remain the evening there. We prefer solidarity and seclusion free from the incessant noise and traffic of traditional campgrounds. We travel fully self-contained and can usually remain in the backcountry for a week or more without coming out to reality.
    Awesome post count.... & yes that is the way to do it. So many old dirt roads here in the cascades & coat range it would take 2 lifetimes to see them all.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    And for music, light, techÖ... a good portable solar panel system like Nomad 7 from Goal Zero would be useful.
    2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby View Post
    I take a lot of, um, guff for my mini van. My Bro in law sarcastically calls it my "man van". Until, as you say the weather goes pot or you need to haul something in lousy weather.
    Ya, poo! I don't care. If you ever have to stop in sketchy areas, your gear in the locked van is infinitely safer and definitely out of sigh vs hanging the bikes off the back etc...
    vans are far better and much more practical!
    We just a very long road trip with bikes. When stopping at night at a motel, the bikes are safely inside the van. During screaming rainstorms that lasted for two days, the bikes were safe and dry in the van.
    Each year our mtn bike club has a jingle bell ride near Christmas, in a very large neighborhood that prides itself on its decorations. At the end, I opened the van's rear hatch, rolled the bike in and shut the door. Someone watching said, "So, you just roll it in?" "Yup, that's pretty much it."
    We have a Mazda MPV and with the seats out, you can roll in a 29er or two with the wheels on. Easy peazy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    I have to agree with WHALENARD, that is a great pad, been using it for car camping (and crashing at friends homes) for years, when we don't take this:
    Attachment 891750
    We've grown tired setting up/tearing down camp, and the T@B has been fantastic.
    Love the T@B design and concept, but we went to look at one and realized that if we were two or three inches shorter, it would be ideal. The maximum headroom is about 5'9" and our heads were brushing the ceiling.

mtb'er
    Harmonica:

Cook over the campfire basket:

Handcrank blender:

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Handcrank blender:
    Never seen that before..that is awesome.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post

We donít camp in campgrounds, but mainly spend days at a time traversing the National Forests on 4x4 or logging roads. We pull over and camp wherever thereís a good view or other good reason to remain the evening there. We prefer solidarity and seclusion...free from the incessant noise and traffic of traditional campgrounds. We travel fully self-contained and can usually remain in the backcountry for a week or more without coming out to reality.
    Pics? Not sure if I get it.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims View Post
    we upgraded a few years back from a small tent to a ginormous one and made the switch from the low to the ground airbed to cots....best move ever made
    Yup, old army-surplus cot in my basement for car-camping, which is mostly my decades-old gear that's soooo big & bulky by today's standards. My next car-camping acquisition:

CGear Sand-Free

My friends had one when we went camping on the sand, the other week. Very cool product.
    Denver Broncos: 98-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home. Shaky start, but you know you're worried...

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Pics? Not sure if I get it.
    Car Camping hacks and must haves :)-img_7343.jpg

Car Camping hacks and must haves :)-img_7333.jpg

Car Camping hacks and must haves :)-img_7669.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

The White Jeff W
    No moss...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4