Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Does it count if I sleep in a tent large enough to use as a garage for the car?

Chinook Titan Lodge 8 Person 3-Season Tent - Chinook Technical Outdoor (CTO)

No stooping (7'4" roof), even the door is taller than me. Sleeps four on cots with good room, or me, my two boys and our bikes.

I find the following helps maximaze enjoyment while camping:

Organization: I use our backpacks for clothing, the tent, stakes, axe and hammer are in a camper box, one large plastic storage container for our kitchen, and two large plastic containers divide up our "inside" vs "outside assundries. Backpacks and coolers are organized by when we will use their contents.

Baby wipes - super-quick cleanup of anything, works great for a field shower
    12V battery in a marine box with 12v plugs - runs lights, charge phones, etc.
    Woven rug for the tent floor, rubber mat for the tent door (works great in cars, too)
    Prep food before leaving so it's ready to drop on the grill or stick in a pot/pan
    All food in ziplocks except for beer and soda - easy access, less crap to pick up
    Paper plates and cups = toss 'n burn...
    Parchment paper - clean dutch oven in seconds
    NICE camp chairs, that lean back, with large drink holders
    Small aluminum tables are great beside the camp chair for... stuff
    Plastic storage boxes being used to carry stuff... make great tables in the tent
    Scented garbage bags! Handles a full week at scout camp, never smell a single odor

Other things:

Sandwich press - so easy to make awesome food with them
    Put spares for anything that needs spares... with that item! Ex. Put spare wicks in whatever you use to transport your lantern.
    100ft of 550 paracord always... that stuff can do anything if you know several key knots. Knot app if you don't know several key knots!

I can really go on forever...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Spend a night on the one I posted (which can be had for <$50 on sale) and get back to us. Also they pack up nice & neat, are impervious to dirt, twigs, & stink... unlike foam ... .
    I have to agree with WHALENARD, that is a great pad, been using it for car camping (and crashing at friends homes) for years, when we don't take this:
    Car Camping hacks and must haves :)-tab.jpg
    We've grown tired setting up/tearing down camp, and the T@B has been fantastic.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Son of Hibachi grill

It took me a bit of googing to find this but it is the best grill ever for car camping. I don't own one but have seen others use it and it is so ingenious.
    Sorry if I sound like an infomercial, but don't waste your money on a flimsy Weber. Son of Hibachi is stoutly made, but is very compact, folds up, makes a chimney to get the charcoal ready, has a fire proof carrying case (in case you need to fold up everything before the coals are cold) and it great for grilling.
    Son of Hibachi

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_amador View Post
    Aeropress rocks!!! If it comes to it, filters are reusable..
    Too messy. I prefer my folding Melitta holder
    Name:  60050_red.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  9.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    Cheap foam: sewing and fabric stores like Jo-Ann fabric.
    The problem with cheap foam is that it is open cell and will absorb/hold moisture, which equals chill and damp. Not so great for sleeping IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rigid9 View Post
    Used the window out of a trashed tent to turn my jeep into a tent. Fresh air, no bugs. Attachment 890924
    That is so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Word. Car camping is basically stripped-down rafting. Most of my friends are boaters, so it's easy to car camp in style.
    Um, yes. We get the "wow, you guys are really set up" comment a lot. We do a lot of multi day raft trips. Our raft trailer is great for taking all our camping gear, and bikes. I got a really nice cot for when we did the Grand Canyon and that, with a luxe thermarest, is the best camping sleep set up ever. I don't skimp with the kitchen. Folding kitchenwear like
    Name:  13994774.jpg
Views: 2272
Size:  18.8 KB
    is great for a camp kitchen. I always use my three step wash set up: no skimping on camp hygiene, ever.

As for hibachis... I have one I got for 50 cents at a yard sale that works great.

mtbr member

Roaming Desert Bocce

Bocce ball set. Roaming desert bocce is good for the down time. Since you'll be roaming, you'll also want a beer belt.

Car Camping hacks and must haves :)-img_6075.jpg
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    I don't skimp with the kitchen. Folding kitchenwear like
    Name:  13994774.jpg
Views: 2272
Size:  18.8 KB
    is great for a camp kitchen. I always use my three step wash set up: no skimping on camp hygiene, ever.
    I've had a hard time passing up various folding kitchen items based on color and design alone. Maybe it is time to indulge!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    I've had a hard time passing up various folding kitchen items based on color and design alone. Maybe it is time to indulge!
    You haven't camped in style until you've used a folding colander! No more scrambling to not lose any spaghetti noodles as you drain with the pot lid! I have a folding mixing bowl, colander, coffee filter holder and a measuring cup that does all the sizes at the various folds.

btw campers, I repair tents as part of my business. Here is a link to my annual repost of tent care tips:
    Tent Care Tips | Specialty Outdoors

Resident Gear Head
    Only been camping once or twice when I was younger but planning on more camping trips this summer, good info in this thread. I always thought cornhole was an awesome camp game to pass time
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    It took me a bit of googing to find this but it is the best grill ever for car camping. I don't own one but have seen others use it and it is so ingenious.
    Sorry if I sound like an infomercial, but don't waste your money on a flimsy Weber. Son of Hibachi is stoutly made, but is very compact, folds up, makes a chimney to get the charcoal ready, has a fire proof carrying case (in case you need to fold up everything before the coals are cold) and it great for grilling.
    Son of Hibachi
    That reminded me that I failed to mention Lodge's Sportsman grill is great for those into dutch ovens (used to carrying heavy cookware). Very compact, but enough space to cook for four for most meals. Can do 6-8 patties at a time depending upon how large you make them. The sliding door does a fantastic job with air control. Flip the grill top over when done to keep grease from getting on other gear if you are lazy and don't want to clean it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nice additions...good stuff alshead.

I forget to mention puffy pants for cooler weather and/or if you don't have awesome shelter protection. Mountain Hardwear Compressor, et al.

I prefer a balaclava rather than a beanie in said conditions.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Reflectix panels:

The World’s Largest Manufacturer of Reflective Insulation and Radiant Barrier Products

Cut 'em to fit all windows in the vehicle. Too light to not have around--keeps interior car temp cool in summer and helps keep heat in in winter. Also adds privacy if you're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down.

Multiple other uses around camp as well--improvised seating, windscreen for cooking, use to fan flames of a fledgling fire, etc...
    Ohhhh, I'm into it. Mike - if you don't mind, what exact panels/materials did you use for the car windows? They seem to have a lot of options. This will be perfect for my camping vehicle.

Don't worry, be happy!

Car Camping hacks and must haves :)

I used some of the reflexit roll "bubble wrap" stuff to make some cooler covers.

Sent from my iPad - Stupid autocorrect!

mtbr member
    Some of this was already mentioned, but these are item I cant live without when car camping/roadtripping

1. TP, always keep some around and in your pack. You never know when nature will come calling. There is a reason they call it mountain money.

2. Beer in cans, preferably a separate cooler. One never wants to run out in the boonies.

3. Baby wipes for hooker showers after riding or hiking, its amazing how being semi clean can make you feel.

4. Quick drying towels, soo many uses, drying yourself/gear, cleaning up

5. Some form of entertainment if the weather is crappy, cards, slackline more beer all come to mind

Pretty much everything else I can make do without or ghetto rig mid trip

Edit: I REALLY want to go camping now

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    +1 on the games, not "Bunco" though. Dumb game.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Those are great but I hate cleaning them.
    I find cleaning to be simple.

Unscrew and knock the grounds out.
    You don't have to rinse out the rest of the grounds until the trip is over.
    Even then, that isn't that hard.

When trip is over just store it apart at least until it fully dries.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBitey View Post
    Tell me more about this "tent sock". Is it like a wind sock for your tent? Is this what you call a rainfly in your part of the world?
    Tent sock, for when your sweetie isn't by your side, those lonely sleepless nights where you need a little something extra to get you off... to sleep.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ive been taking a Hammock in my lastest trip. Don't sleep in it but it sure is nice to hang out.

Also those grills you put over your fire to cook. I've used one for years now.

Texsport 24" x 16" Heavy-Duty Camp Grill Cooking Accessories

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post

Vans are subject to ridicule until the weather caves in, then everyone thinks your van is the coolest thing ever.
    I take a lot of, um, guff for my mini van. My Bro in law sarcastically calls it my "man van". Until, as you say the weather goes pot or you need to haul something in lousy weather.

I want more room than the mini van allows so the next vehicle will be a full size van.

And then the comments about gas mileage and so on flow in. Ya, poo! I don't care. If you ever have to stop in sketchy areas, your gear in the locked van is infinitely safer and definitely out of sigh vs hanging the bikes off the back etc...

I like my vans! I used to run pickup trucks and had a Tahoe but vans are far better and much more practical!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Tent camping has it's place.

Trent the Bent
    Oct 2004

Went Big

We do camping trips with the fam, the trails club and with our NICA team with this set up.

Car Camping hacks and must haves :)-1779099_10203578877577190_1681945679813820477_n.jpg

We sleep in the bus and cook in the Tent. The benches fold into beds

Car Camping hacks and must haves :)-10325336_10203967760499020_6147792848283338670_n.jpg

For big group meals I got one of these:

Car Camping hacks and must haves :)-ex60lw700x767.jpg

and one of these:

Car Camping hacks and must haves :)-sg60_ls4_700x467.jpg

and for large pots of coffee I got one of these:

Car Camping hacks and must haves :)-coffee.jpg

the most critical piece of equipment is this:

Car Camping hacks and must haves :)-camp_chef_propane_tree_1285426_1_og.jpg

and this was nice too:

Name:  cabellas.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  29.8 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    This thread went from must-have items to hope-I-never-have items.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Camping is all about personal style, there's no right or wrong to it. Unless you want to bring a TV, that IS just wrong.

mtbr member
    Haha, so true. Well said formica.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    This thread went from must-have items to hope-I-never-have items.
    +1. For me "getting away from it all" involves bringing as little stuff as possible. Less time spent packing/unpacking means more time riding/relaxing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Office episodes on the smartphone, formica? Kosher?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast