mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cane Creek headsets

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a Cane Creek C2 and S2 headset?

Thanks,

Sam

MTBR.com Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a Cane Creek C2 and S2 headset?

Thanks,

Sam
    The Aheadsets are the original threadless headsets designed by the guys who became Cane Creek. They consider the Aheadset their 'value' line. The Aheadset supposedly comes with a plasic topcap while the Cane Creek stuff comes with a alloy one. Also the Aheadset (or at least the one I had at one point) used captured bearings (free rolling bearings in a little ring to keep them in place, probably the wrong name for it-best I could do at the time). The S-2 uses cartridge bearings (I have two bikes with these headsets). I prefer the cartridge bearings as they are easier to replace and to service.
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, I'm aware of who cane creek are, and where they came from - I'm asking about two specific types of cane creek headsets - one which I believe is called a C2, the other an S2. I ask because of some current eBay listings I'm looking at which have both C2 and S2 headsets listed - and they are both described as having cartridge bearings rather than loose balls (the word you were looking for to describe the thing retaining the balls is cage) I was wondering what the difference was. Thanks for your help anyhow.

Cheers,

Sam

mtbr member
    The S2 is the nicer of the two. Cane Creek describes the difference between the S5 and the C2 as follows:
    The S-5 and C-2 headsets look similar. What's the difference between them?
    While the S-5 and C-2 headsets share the top-to-bottom configuration and overall concept, the insides are different. The S-5 uses top-quality spec all the way, while the C-2 uses more economical materials. Among the S-5's top-of-the-line goods are angular-contact cartridge-bearing assemblies (with a full complement of continuous-contact stainless steel balls), waterproof grease at a 100-percent fill rate, neoprene seals, stainless steel races, CNC-machined 7075-T6 aluminum cups, and an O-ring seal in the upper cover. On the C-2, there's a balance of high performance and cost efficiency, with the design executed with aluminum cups, steel races and replaceable cartridge bearings. One other thing in the visual department: The S-5 comes in six colors that let you match bikes and forks.

Specs for the S2
    11/8 inch (28.6mm)
    material: cups. steel crown race with integrated rubber seal. replaceable sealed steel cartridge bearings. neoprene bearing seals
    stack height: 26mm
    weight: 116g
    color: silver, black
    U.S. msrp: $50

Specs for the C2
    Cartridge bearings, interlocking protective cups.
    weight: 140g

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    they both use carbon steel ball bearings. read corrosion. get the one with stainless steel bearings S-6. you'll be glad ya did.