mtbr member

Candler's Mountain Biking

I made a highlight video of my mountain biking in early 2013 on Candler's Mountain in Lynchburg, VA. Pretty solid trail system with over 60 miles of trails.

(I posted this video about three weeks ago, but it was too long and boring; so, I did some major re-editing.)

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Cool video. You crash a lot, much more than I do (and I thought I crash a lot). Which Trek is that? Is that a 3 series, or higher up than that?
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I just got into mountain biking last summer of 2012...those crashes were all part of the learning experience. It was a 2012 Trek 4300, but I just bought a Rocky Mountain Element 50 FS, so I'm trying to sell the Trek.
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    I love how your shoe comes off in your first crash ..... lololol.

I have gone to Candler's on 2 different occasions and could never find any trails worth doing. This was about 5 yrs ago but I had heard the trails were good but still only found eroded jeep roads and maybe 10 min of single track. It was terrible !!! I parked at the hotel at the bottom, cycled the road up, and entered the trails to the left. What was I missing ??? I never saw any trails that looked anything like your video. I am a pro level rider, so I like to think I know my way around the woods, even somewhere new.

mtbr member
    I just started riding there, so I'm not sure how the trails have changed since your last time there, but there's some solid trails built and maintained. Some are pretty rough though, and I usually avoid the atv/jeep trails. Since LU built that Snowflex Centre right there on the mountain, I think they've put a lot more work into the mountain to attract people. Most of my rides are on the right side of the mountain off the new parking lot they put in at the bottom of the Snowflex, not sure if those were around 5 years ago...

pin it
    Nice edits. And despite a few crashes, good riding
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Wow 60 miles, that's a lot. I've driven past Candlers dozens of times but never ridden there. Is there a good map available anywhere?
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Here's a link to the website, you'll find a PDF of the map there.

Student Activities - Trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That is my back yard trail. lol
    I live about 5 mins from it. Its always a fun enjoyable ride, no matter which rout you take. Ive ridden it too many times to count. My dad grew up on the mountain and used to 4-wheel it. I absolutely love this trail because of the sense of mystery around it. Its Great.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Yea I have not made it over their yet and I live over in the Roanoke area. The place has a reputation as being confusing for the first time visitor, best ridden with a guide. My take is that the trail system is there for the students and whether visitors can find their way around is their own problem.

It is impressive that they even have their own trail guy. Singletracks has an interesting write-up on these trails (by MTBGreg1). Liberty Mountain Trail System: A True Diamond in the Rough | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

One day I am just going to go over there and check it out, maybe do a little summer snow skiing too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    Yea I have not made it over their yet and I live over in the Roanoke area. The place has a reputation as being confusing for the first time visitor, best ridden with a guide. My take is that the trail system is there for the students and whether visitors can find their way around is their own problem.

It is impressive that they even have their own trail guy. Singletracks has an interesting write-up on these trails (by MTBGreg1). Liberty Mountain Trail System: A True Diamond in the Rough | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

One day I am just going to go over there and check it out, maybe do a little summer snow skiing too.
    I'm a student at Liberty University and that's why I ride here a lot, but I've seen more non-students riding here than college kids. It definitely is a confusing trail system...while there is a map, I've gotten lost plenty of times. There's just so much to ride and the trails are not marked all that well. I just bring plenty of water and make sure I have at least 2 hours to ride incase I get backwards...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NFLcheesehead1 View Post
    I'm a student at Liberty University and that's why I ride here a lot, but I've seen more non-students riding here than college kids. It definitely is a confusing trail system...while there is a map, I've gotten lost plenty of times. There's just so much to ride and the trails are not marked all that well. I just bring plenty of water and make sure I have at least 2 hours to ride incase I get backwards...
    Sounds good - just build in some extra time, maybe toss a light in the pack.

Sounds like Carvin's Cove in the old days. 13,000 acre park, 25 miles of singletrack and no trail signs. You just had to learn it bit by bit.

mtbr member
    ^Exactly, at the end of last semester I finally started to learn a few trails by memory and which trails to ride consecutively to end back where I started. Part of the fun though is finding new trails and getting lost