mtbr member

Can anyone clarify the RockyMountain/Procycle issue?

I'm noticing alot of people are no longer interested in Rocky Mountain bikes because apparently they were bought out by procycle.
    Anyone know the truth behind thid?

Old Guy that rides

more info

Rocky Mountain, Procycle Brands Merge

MAY 03, 2004 -- ST. GEORGE DE BEAUCE, Quebec (BRAIN)--Procycle is merging its Rocky Mountain Bicycles and Procycle divisions.

"This decision will increase our company's performance on a number of levels. It will help us better face the challenges of market globalization and simplify business relations with the Procycle dealers network," said Raymond Dutil, Procycle Group's president.

The changes are primarily administrative.

"It will be pretty much business as usual for our retailers," said Daina Carmichael, marketing coordinator for Rocky Mountain.

Jean Poisson, who has been general manager of the group's Oryx, Mikado and Miele brands, becomes the newly consolidated division's general manager effective immediately.

Poisson will be based in Rocky Mountain Bicycles' office in Vancouver, British Columbia. He will supervise an as-yet-unnamed sales manager in Procycle headquarters in St. George de Beauce, Quebec, who will be responsible for the group's brands sold through the independent retailer channel. Those include Rocky Mountain, Oryx, Mikado and Miele.

Poisson replaces Denis Jutras, who has been Rocky Mountain's general manager for the past five years. Jutras will become general manager of the group's Bodyguard Fitness Division in St. George de Beauce in June.

Procycle purchased Rocky Mountain in July 1997.

and..........

Procycle Buys Out Cycles Balfa Shares

DECEMBER 03, 2001 -- MONTREAL, Quebec--Mountain bike manufacturer Cycles Balfa sold its shares to the Procycle Group, Canada's largest bicycle manufacturer. Affiliation with Procycle will give Balfa the resources to expand and grow.

"We are very proud to join together with Procycle, a large Canadian company. We will be able to maintain and improve the quality of our products and the service we provide, while preserving the family spirit that has made the reputation of our brand," said Frederic Monast, Cycles Balfa's general manager and co-founder.

The three founders of Balfa will continue to manage the company. Cycles Balfa will work out of its Montreal shop, independent of Procycle. Procycle also owns the bike brand Rocky Mountain and employs more than 600 people.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away

...."I don't want to be the fastest.....just faster than my friends."

Originally Posted by zenorb
    I so wish I could un-read that.

President, CEO of Earth

Less difference than you think

As the above post points out, RM has been owned by Procycle for a few years (since '97). However, the only think that changed is where the money went. Handmade RM's were still made by the same hands in the same place. I don't think RM ever had a model made with Procycle's crappy DBS building system.

I believe that the new managerial horizons for RM will have less impact than most people think, though, because the bulk of RM bikes (frames, anyway - I don't know where the assembling is done), as well as Procycle's other brands, are made in the far east in the same factories that make Giant, KHS, Trek, specialized ... [INSERT ANY OTHER LARGE BRAND NAME HERE]

There's no app for this.

I live in the far east?

Rocky's factory is in Vancouver BC. Apparently this is now in "the far east"? Jeez I'll have a long drive to the shore for my next ride.

here's a movie of the factory for you.

"When you get on a Rocky Mountain and take it for a spin you'll realize we practice what we preach. Building bikes for all types of riders which meet our standards is why we've developed four independent, purpose-built full suspension systems. It's why our R&D facility is located right beside our factory. It's why we're not a mass production operation. We hand build our bicycles and all of our wheels.

Next time please know what you speak of.

Jim
    Last edited by JimC.; 11-07-2004 at 07:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    Rocky's factory is in Vancouver BC. Apparently this is now in "the far east"? Jeez I'll have a long drive to the shore for my next ride.

"When you get on a Rocky Mountain and take it for a spin you'll realize we practice what we preach. Building bikes for all types of riders which meet our standards is why we've developed four independent, purpose-built full suspension systems. It's why our R&D facility is located right beside our factory. It's why we're not a mass production operation. We hand build our bicycles and all of our wheels.

Jim
    I bought a Rocky

President, CEO of Earth

Jim
    Whatever, guy. It's been a long time since all of their bikes were made in Canada. The Exotics and Fs bikes still are, of course. I never meant to imply they weren't. There was an article on it in Bike or something a few months ago. But if think every Metro or Fusion is still handmade in Canada, you're delusional.

There's no app for this.

Don't be such a

pissant. Read the lines, check with Rocky Toll Free: 1-800-663-2512. There's nothing that makes my day a delight than some "whatever" type that calls me 'delusional'.

Sure "Though a few of their entry-level bikes are made and assembled overseas, Rocky believes that when it comes to their competition bred downhill, freeride and cross-country line of bikes, blah blah blah.

A "few" is a long way from your original post of the adjective "the bulk of RM bikes" that you claim. Jeez.

"Even though we're bigger than we were when we started 21 years ago, we still employ the same practices, the same hands on approach we did then. It's all still right here in Vancouver, British Columbia, and because of that, subject to the constant scrutiny of all our employees. The noises from our factory can be heard right in our head offices.

We are a semi-custom bike manufacturer. We're not huge and were not trying to be. We're not pumping out hundreds of thousands of bikes a year. It's because of this we can take our time to ensure that every Rocky Mountain is the best it can be. So, if you want a quality ride from the tubing right through to the wheels, this is where you belong. Bikes built for riders, by riders, in a place where the riding rules.

As I said, get your facts straight, please. Your misinformation just isn't welcome.

Jim
    Last edited by JimC.; 11-09-2004 at 03:45 PM.

beer thief
    You tell him, Jim! Whatever indeed.

Congrats on your new digs and getting rid of your job. I'm looking forward to the new Knolly post.

There's no app for this.

The bulk of these

new bikes are made overseas, Rob. But that's because now I live on an island, and Noel's overseas in Vancouver.

Job hunting all day sure is exhausting, but perhaps I'm just delusional about finding one

Early retirement looks good; Kraft dinner with water forever, looks bad. Must find a job. cheers, got snow yet? Jim

beer thief
    Jobs are overrated. So are mortgage payments. Kraft dinners, however, are not. Good luck on your hunt - show them the smiling happy guy you are and I'm sure something good will come up.

Yes, we've had snow, plenty of which has stuck "up high", but down here in the valley it's just cool/cold. Still plenty of riding left, I hope. Probably for you too.

I found a new passion, single speeding. Wouldn't be my bike of choice for North Van, tho.

There's no app for this.

similar passion found...

dragged the Enduro all over he//'s 1/2 acre (hectare up here) on a really steep hiking trail; about 3-4 hours of carrying the bike up and down, including a few rappelling sections with rope to hang on to. At the end of it all, I couldn't wait to do it again. something to do with adventure, overdoing it, being lost and cold, in failing light. Maybe I should get a single speed to carry around, probably lighter.

sorry about the snow, ahahahahahah! Jim

here's a shot of our snow, but it's up high, where it belongs!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    Jobs are overrated. So are mortgage payments. Kraft dinners, however, are not. Good luck on your hunt - show them the smiling happy guy you are and I'm sure something good will come up.

Radair I have to agree with you... KD rules!!! take it from a musician that was on the road for three years
    Ever BBQ Kraft Dinner? lol its quite tasty

President, CEO of Earth

Delusions explained

pissant. Read the lines, check with Rocky Toll Free: 1-800-663-2512. There's nothing that makes my day a delight than some "whatever" type that calls me 'delusional'.

Sure "Though a few of their entry-level bikes are made and assembled overseas, Rocky believes that when it comes to their competition bred downhill, freeride and cross-country line of bikes, blah blah blah.

A "few" is a long way from your original post of the adjective "the bulk of RM bikes" that you claim. Jeez.

Jim
    Well maybe delusional is a little harsh.

Next time your riding in the endowmwent lands or go past UBC, make little count of how many Wistlers and Metros and Fusions and Cardiacs you see, and compare it to the number of RM7s and RMX Teams. Thats the data I go by - not by quoting RMB publicity copy.

"a few of their entry level bikes" adds up to a lot of actual bikes sold.

TN

edit: I love Rocky Mountain bicycles. I have always dreamed of having a nice blizzard to call my own. Maybe someday. *sigh*
    Last edited by TobyNobody; 11-10-2004 at 06:26 AM.