Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

But Which One ??

650 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Repack Rider 
#1 ·
Hi All.
I am new to the forum thing but would like to throw it out there.
My ride is a 26" BMC SpeedFox01 XC
standard 120mm travel RokShocks
standard 120mm Scor rear shock
tubeless rims
Hope Hubs
Titanium spokes
Full Shimano Kit.

The area I ride is a combination of Flat blasty fire trails, Single track climbs on world class trails that climb 300mts in less than 5km and over 2km of quality Blue/Black rated downhill.
1 lap of 1 of our network trails is over 40km long and due to some of the climbs can take almost 3 hrs to complete.
I dont do the huge jumps or drop offs as I have a working career to protect, I ride for the pure enjoyment of it, I like to ride in the dark with 100's of Lumins of pure goodness and I don't race

My question is this.
Am I better off with the cross country bike or should I have an all mountain ? Whats the difference ? :confused:

Ta.

See less See more
#4 ·
You are not alone. I've been mountain biking 35 years and I don't have any idea what the difference might be. I assume it's a microscopic difference in travel and the desire to create yet another market niche, but since I don't care I never bothered to find out.

In bicycling, everything is a trade-off. If you want to increase performance in one area, you are probably giving it up in another. That's why a dedicated downhill bike is almost impossible to ride uphill and why a bike that climbs well concedes something on downhill. You don't get to ride up the hills on a 'cross bike and down on a DH bike, so you have to have something that works in both environments. I don't own a downhill bike, but my FS 29er is the best bike I have ever ridden downhill on, and I can ride up the hill also.

I don't race, so I don't care if I am giving up a couple of percent somewhere. I have already conceded a little extra weight to have a more durable bike than a racer needs.

Oldest proverb in bicycling: Light, cheap, strong, pick any two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.