Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

burro-zvobikes

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  JimC. 
#1 ·
Does anyone know anything abou these 20 inch wheeled mtn bikes ? they look pretty cooland my wife wants one ,but all i canfind on them is the manufactures website . thanks Harry

#2 ·
I was curious

so read up on them a bit; it's a townie, that is, a bike to ride around town and BTW, damned expensive at that. So if your wife wants to toot around and leave the car at home, maybe worth a look. but you could buy her 3 nice 26" bikes instead of one of these at $3k each, sheesh. As a Mtn. bike, it's a short wheelbase, small rim accident (looking for a place to happen) that would be too unstable to use on any trail, IMHO. That's why you don't see any out there.

Just my .02, Jim

#3 ·
Here's the website

burro-zvobikes.com

Jim C obviously hasn't ridden one. They're a blast, very, very very stable, and will get traction and climb up stuff that will stop a regular bike in its tracks. They work well in all but the finest sand and are a real kick on snow.

No they're not made for speed. They for exploring at a less-than-race speed. The website has a reprint of an article written by the editor/publisher of Big Bear Today, the local paper where Burros are made. He's no rider by any means, yet he had a great time on a Burro.

A Burro might be just the thing for her. And no, they're not all 3 grand.

My 3.5 cents.

#4 ·
I've always wanted to try one after I read a review years ago. Sounded like if you lived out in the desert or where you get lotsa snow, you'd have to have one. Did not know they had a whole line up for them now with urban applications (electric ready is kinda cool).

#7 ·
Nope haven't had the pleasure

a shorter wheelbase and smaller wheels wouldn't be my first choice for a ride for my wife. It may work fine for some I guess.

However, the marketing is just plain erroneous:

Highly technical terrain is a no-brain-er as Burro in all its forms, is the one bike-the only bike-capable of handling any situation, condition, or environment. Whether recreation, competition, or transportation is your plan, the Burro is without equal.

I can hardly wait to try one here in Vancouver. :D

but hey, maybe that electric motor you can add will stabilize the thing?

Electric Ready® 7005 series straight gauge aluminum alloy Classic Burro® disc-

Jim

#9 ·
Until you ride one you really can't understand what the ride is like. It is definitely not your everyday trail bike but it does have it's place on the trails.

I owned one for a while and it shined in extremely technical terrain.....ledgey, rocky, steep etc. The bike is incredibly stable at low speeds....you can basically come to a complete stop while climbing, remain seated, chill for a minute, catch your breath and start up again.

Soo, don't knock something you know nothing about. Sure, the website pumps it up to be the answer to all of our bike questions....it's not...but it is a really fun bike to ride in the dirt.

B

#12 ·
Canadian Pounds or Murrican Pounds?

JimC. said:
the Michelin 2.5's are over 2lb each, never mind the tubes, rims, spokes hubs and assorted extraneous hardware :rolleyes:

I think it's around 45+lb. Argh. Maybe I should get a Burro for relief!

Jim *wheeze* C
I'm not sure what the conversion factor is right now with your economy and all.

I have a Burro Bike (well, technically it's Clare's) and NO ONE RIDES IT. It's fun, it's a novelty, it's useful in a variety of situations, but NO ONE RIDES IT.

My big problem with it is the axle height. I have gone over the bars or nearly so on a number of occasions because the short wheel DOES NOT CLIMB OVER OBSTACTLES that I expect it to, like softball sized rocks and logs.

If you're thinking about it, you can certainly MAKE it climb over, but just ridiing along and thinking you're just gonna roll over stuff has been the downfall of me (ha, I made a word joke) more than once.

The second problem is it's tough to keep up with 26 inch wheel bikes on the trail; you just don't have enough roll out per revolution. I've enjoyed swapping rides with people who usually leave me in the weeds and working them hard from their own bike.

We even tried it with the optional ski on the front wheel.

NO ONE RIDES IT.

Ken

ps: For Sale, One Burro Bike.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.