mtbr member
    Mar 2006

... and if we just ... Bringing it "back from the dead" !

just moved to colorado about 1 year ago from longisland Ny and now reside in west lakewood frontrange, so i thought it was about time to bring my Garyfisher Hookoo back from the dead after not riding it in atleast 4+ years. my plan is to get -New riserbars,grips,shifter/brake cables & want to get rims/hubs redone with new bearings and spokes redone & crankset pulled and new bearings put in & everything cleaned out such as chain and all other components. i also need new tires/tubes/waterbottleholder & airpump. i would like to get some new Vbrakes to as well being mine are old/worn check the pics after just took it out from storage,hope they load.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

another shot

another shot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't worry, be happy!
    you could probably just replace all the rubber bits ( tubes, tires) throw some brake pads on it, lube it, and ride the hell out of it. Why replace all that other stuff? You might want to lose the pedal cages, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i love the metal cages lets me dig in on climbs,dunno but i tried buddies bike with reg peddals and didnt like it at all. yea i prob just going to throw in the basics to get it up and running and add some stuff as the season goes on. thanx for droppin in on the thread

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

... and if we just ... tires/tubes

got some IRC mythos XC on the way and a set of 5 tubesas well,mythos will do for now considering im not going to get into the ruff stuff right away

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

well

yeah u dont want "reg" pedals of course, but even more so u dont want those bear cages. get some cheap spd knockoff clipless pedals such as wellgo--and the shoes/cleats to go with em.

Quote Originally Posted by Indatreez
    i love the metal cages lets me dig in on climbs,dunno but i tried buddies bike with reg peddals and didnt like it at all. yea i prob just going to throw in the basics to get it up and running and add some stuff as the season goes on. thanx for droppin in on the thread

paintbucket
    Good all around tire choice, and I bet the price was right.

Formica is talking about clipless pedals, not flat pedals. And she's right, they'd be a good investment even though they'd require new shoes too. pricepoint.com often has shoe/pedal combination deals.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    na ill stick to the cages,i have used cages on every mtn bike i ever had & i keep the straps on the cages semi loose so i can get my feet out quicker in case i need to bail. with the $$$ i spend on clipless pedals, shoes etc i can invest money on getting my bike tiptop, i need new shocks as well cause they never worked right from day one seems like they are just dead. thanx for the feedback tho

hooked on quack
    Cages are heeeeeeavy. And for them to work correctly(ie.hold you feet on the pedal where it counts), they are too tight to get out of fast(again, where it counts).

Clipless is a zillion times superior. Go to any xc race. Out of say 200 racers, you'll see zero cages. Zero. Theres a reason for that..

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    go with what you know! my peddals are the very very least on my list of all the stuff i wanna get. my cousin back in newyork swore by clipless and has done many races but when i tried them i just didnt likeum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you like toe cages keep them! I used them for a long time before going clipless. I like the clipless OK but I never noticed a dramatic improvement. Lube the bike, put new brake pads on it and install the Mythos then go for a ride. Don't sell the Mythos XC short just because you didn't pay much for them. I run them on both my bikes and really like them for an all conditions tire in the midwest. They are pretty light which means that the casing isn't to thick so they may get cuts a little worse than some other tires.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Doh! NM
    Last edited by porkchop; 03-29-2006 at 05:55 AM.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

banned
    na ill stick to the cages,i have used cages on every mtn bike i ever had & i keep the straps on the cages semi loose so i can get my feet out quicker in case i need to bail. with the $$$ i spend on clipless pedals, shoes etc i can invest money on getting my bike tiptop, i need new shocks as well cause they never worked right from day one seems like they are just dead. thanx for the feedback tho
    Hard to go wrong with the Mythos as a good all-around trail tire.

If you prefer toestraps, go with toestraps.

Your suspension fork probably is dead, or at least close enough. Stock forks tend to suck anyway. Get a new one.

mtbr member
    One thing you should do is make a list of all parts you expect to replace, as the others have noted.. and add up the cost.

Also consider things like chain, which might be on the way to being stretched out and needing to be replaced.

Add up this price, and then compare this to a price of a new entry level bike. That might be the more economical route for you.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Cages are heeeeeeavy. And for them to work correctly(ie.hold you feet on the pedal where it counts), they are too tight to get out of fast(again, where it counts).

Clipless is a zillion times superior. Go to any xc race. Out of say 200 racers, you'll see zero cages. Zero. Theres a reason for that..
    But is he racing? Never said. If it works for him, good for him, what ever works.
    FWIW, I've seen some MTBR Regulars who've been using toe clips for years on very techy stuff and don't want to change. (I couldn't ride toe cages either)
    Don't harsh my mello

Linoleum Knife
    just moved to colorado about 1 year ago from longisland Ny and now reside in west lakewood frontrange, so i thought it was about time to bring my Garyfisher Hookoo back from the dead after not riding it in atleast 4+ years. my plan is to get -New riserbars,grips,shifter/brake cables & want to get rims/hubs redone with new bearings and spokes redone & crankset pulled and new bearings put in & everything cleaned out such as chain and all other components. i also need new tires/tubes/waterbottleholder & airpump. i would like to get some new Vbrakes to as well being mine are old/worn check the pics after just took it out from storage,hope they load.
    Lesse - here is my list of stuff you want to replace...
    Brake pads
    Tubes
    Tires
    Chain (if stretched)
    Worn chainrings (if applicable)
    ALL Cables & housing - even if it looks fine.

I wouldn't waste any money on replacing anything else.

I've brought a few bikes back from the dead, and a big tub of waterproof grease goes a long way in the rebuild process. Most bearings won't need to be replaced (hub / headset / BB) just removed, cleaned and repacked with fresh grease.

Check out Hippie-tech for rebuilding your shock. They are reported to work wonders with old RockShox forks. Some of those old Gary Fishers used a 1 1/4 headset, so you may need an adaptor if you decide to get a new fork.

Save your cash for a new bike, and ride this one into the ground in the mean time.

Here's a link to my GF rebuild last year.
    Rebuilding Passion

And here is me riding the hell out of it last weekend...

smw
    pedal pusher
    If you do all that you could be close to buying a new bike, maybe even with disc brakes.
    Welcome back.
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Lesse - here is my list of stuff you want to replace...
    Brake pads
    Tubes
    Tires
    Chain (if stretched)
    Worn chainrings (if applicable)
    ALL Cables & housing - even if it looks fine.

I wouldn't waste any money on replacing anything else.

I've brought a few bikes back from the dead, and a big tub of waterproof grease goes a long way in the rebuild process. Most bearings won't need to be replaced (hub / headset / BB) just removed, cleaned and repacked with fresh grease.

Check out Hippie-tech for rebuilding your shock. They are reported to work wonders with old RockShox forks. Some of those old Gary Fishers used a 1 1/4 headset, so you may need an adaptor if you decide to get a new fork.

Save your cash for a new bike, and ride this one into the ground in the mean time.

Here's a link to my GF rebuild last year.
    Rebuilding Passion

And here is me riding the hell out of it last weekend...

in the rebuild link you left i see that you have rockshox on you fisher but in the pic it looks like you have solid forks, did you remove your shox?

Linoleum Knife
    in the rebuild link you left i see that you have rockshox on you fisher but in the pic it looks like you have solid forks, did you remove your shox?
    Yup - it would've cost me over a $100 to get the rockshox rebuilt, and the rigid fork cost me $15.

I wouldn't do it if it was my only bike, but I have plenty of other bikes to do other things - gives this bike it's own character.