Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I'm trying to wean myself off any name branded eye wear just because the prices are a joke. Watch the episode of "Adam ruins everything" about eye wear and you'll see how monopoly capitalism works in the eye wear industry. Are my Flexon glasses with plastic lenses and $ 0.25 cents worth of lens coating really more expensive than a new I-Phone? I guess if they were individually hand-crafted by old-world Swiss masters and highly trained Oompa-Loompas glass makers, otherwise I'm getting ripped off.
    A few bike rides ago we stopped to get eats and locked the bikes to a tree. As the guy is doing the securing, He looks at me and says "Brian don't ste----"
    loud C R A CK .
    I about crapped myself as there in the grass underfoot were his sun-specs and how often is it they are not a $160 pair or even more if script ?

Enter ROSS Dress for Less, lol. Maybe $8 to $15 . Whewwww
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    Yes and Giant is Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep.
    Transition and Santa Cruz are Honda and Toyota.

GT is dogshit knockoffs from the big 3 they use to lead.

Vee and Vittoria Tires are also crap.

I got a Production Privee which is basically a LeMans 917 GULF from the 2000s. Simple and weighs a ton but still fast.
    Congrats, I guess the only thing left is Volkswagen and...
    Dieselgate is long over.

Got a Gulf myself !!

In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Congrats, I guess the only thing left is Volkswagen and...
    Dieselgate is long over.

Got a Gulf myself !!

VW is on the list for me now.

The litigation is over, but I won't support the company that did it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Spherical Earther
    How about Trek for jettisoning Lemond for Armstrong.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    How about Trek for jettisoning Lemond for Armstrong.
    I mentioned that in another thread today!
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Big Mac
    Crank Brothers, because everything they make sucks. But I reckon thatís a pretty good reason.

Uncle
    Wow, so much more than bikes here. Here's my no-go list:

Intense - stupid name; I can't say this without following with, "BroOOOO!!!!"
    Liteville - same, except instead of yelling 'Bro' I just giggle to myself, "Who's idea was this?"
    Enve - might as well be called Doucheville
    Loaded - Guns or stoned, I give no fncks
    KHS - I really want to like their stuff but ugh, it's always underwhelming.
    Sidi
    Cannondale accessories
    Any saddle with the word "Selle" in the name
    Hutchison
    Crank Brothers - grew up in close proximity to a meth house, so their early drug referenced model names (and seemingly induced QC) put me off for good
    Control Tech
    Wipperman/Connex(?)

I guess some of these don't count, because I have some reasons. I can live with that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    Fruit of the Loom
    Budweiser / AB-InBev brands
    KIA, Mitsubishi, Chevy
    Puma
    Bob's Red Mill
    Fisher mountain bikes
    Lee jeans
    Tommy Bahama
    Vidal Sassoon
    Walmart / Members Mark (Sams) -- however, Kirkland is fine (go figure)
    Starbucks, McDonalds, Dunkin
    Firestone
    Reynobond
    Delta, Spirit, & United airlines
    (if I had more choices) Aetna & United health insurances.
    What's wrong with Bob Red Mills???? Just listened to his story on "How I built it" podcast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Boycotting all the Vista Outdoors stuff right now. Kinda of hard as I'm helmet shopping and Bell and Giro are OUT.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    What's wrong with Bob Red Mills???? Just listened to his story on "How I built it" podcast.
    I'm still pondering how 16oz of grain is worth like $9. Otherwise, yeah.

Also, puppies. Everyone who buys one is a total dingus!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Specialized - the Walmart of the bike world, I never liked the way they did business
    Oakley - ugly, silly looking glasses
    Pearl Izumi - generic looking gear
    Knolly - goofy looking, clunky, expensive bikes, everyone I talk to who owns one seems to be way to bro-tastic
    Crank Bros - I used to own some of their gear but it just breaks, never again
    Cannondale - see same reason as Crank Bros.
    Enve - over priced, status symbols of the bike world
    Giant - too generic
    Kali - ugly protective gear
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    No $&!+ !? Was it a 26"?

I had one of those that came on an ibis tranny I got from a friend. It was like a third hand fork though, so we never got it warrantied.

It worked fine for years, but I never got my head wrapped around why it did that. I thought many times to Dremel out the drop out, but that risked ruining the whole fork.

Eventually it seemed to get much worse, and I changed it out for something else. I still have it in the garage though, and it'll likely get turned into a couple bottle openers soon.

Yeah, it was a 26". I bought in online from one of those houses that stocks up on OEM equipment/closeouts. Needed a decent XC race sort of fork with canti mounts there were few options. Rode it for 3 or 4 years. About 2 years in, I'm leaning over the handlebars, and notice that the tire is off center, nope, in the dropouts all the way. Dish tool says the wheel is good. Get online to ask the Google machine, and results take me to a forum thread with others having the same experience. I didn't dremel it either, just figured that if I couldn't tell anything was wrong while riding it, it probably didn't matter.

Spherical Earther
    Blaster-Dry Lube. Reminds me of Master-Blaster from Mad Max.

Actually, that's a product I do use despite having a "no-good reason" to avoid it.

Brooks, because they don't have anything to do with small streams at all.

Actually, that's a product I do use despite having a "no-good reason" to avoid it.

Dang, flat out of ideas.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Co Springs

I never pursued VW , just happened to land there searching h-backs or wagons.
    Of recent years, had a hint of suspicion the next car would be more utility (any utility) over a G35, Infiniti's version of non racer-boy 350Z.
    A lot of car for 60% avg new car prices, 4motion / turbo, real world 24/36 mpg, split-fold seat with lots of room, good dog and bike hauler. They offered the new 2018 warranty on an outgoing 2017 with $5000 off msrp. Only 2500 miles in but everything I wanted and a few nice features for something sub $ 21 k.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    I never pursued VW , just happened to land there searching h-backs or wagons.
    Of recent years, had a hint of suspicion the next car would be more utility (any utility) over a G35, Infiniti's version of non racer-boy 350Z.
    A lot of car for 60% avg new car prices, 4motion / turbo, real world 24/36 mpg, split-fold seat with lots of room, good dog and bike hauler. They offered the new 2018 warranty on an outgoing 2017 with $5000 off msrp. Only 2500 miles in but everything I wanted and a few nice features for something sub $ 21 k.
    Hey now, this all sounds like a lot of "thinking" and "reasons"

Super Clyde

Werd. I had a TDI Sportwagen that I totalled after dieselgate hit. I would have preferred to just get another one, but nooooooo. I'll never buy another VAG product again.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Crank Brothers, because everything they make sucks. But I reckon thatís a pretty good reason.
    I hear this all the time, including from my shop guy who is super competent and trustworthy. But I have been riding their pedals for 15 years and they are one of the cheapest most reliable things on my bikes. I only weigh 145 and live in a place with smooth dirt singletrack virtually devoid of chunky rocky tech so maybe that's why it works for me.
    Western Montana

Co Springs
    Hey now, this all sounds like a lot of "thinking" and "reasons"

Yeah, I know they screwed the pooch,
    can't trust 'em
    Me burning altruistic life plans to rewind the karma I'm due yada yada

But at the end of the day Ö.. WAIT !! There is no end of the day I'm 56 and STILL WORKING.
    It's a money thing, I'm cheap, VW is buying back some business and it's tubeless !!

I'm the Barnum & Baily customer.

L1MEY
    Ellsworth - because if you can't be bothered to bring size small bikes to a demo event in your big arse trailer then I can't be bothered to buy one.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl!

the half breed devil
    the title of this thread is "Brands you won't buy...for no good reason!"...

many of you are giving very good reasons not to buy a brand, such as the person who won't buy ellsworth.

in my mind, not bringing a size small to a demo event is a perfectly good reason to thumb my nose at them.

mtbr member
    I actually couldn't think of any. If I chose to not buy parts for my bike based on stupid names and marketing, I don't think I'd have much of a bike.

I hate "Spank" and "Race Face" as company names, but I have both products on my bikes and they are great.

Deity - bought a seatpost clamp which broke as soon as I tightened it. The name is stupid, but also the product sucked... so I have a reason.

Surly is kind of annoying with their hipsterish ways, but to be honest, I think their frames are well built, well thought out and ride nicely. It's OK to be douchey if you can build decent products.

If it works and the price is good, I'm not biased. Once I'm burned I usually shy away from stuff unless they warranty it and make it right.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    I actually couldn't think of any. If I chose to not buy parts for my bike based on stupid names and marketing, I don't think I'd have much of a bike.

I hate "Spank" and "Race Face" as company names, but I have both products on my bikes and they are great.

Deity - bought a seatpost clamp which broke as soon as I tightened it. The name is stupid, but also the product sucked... so I have a reason.

Surly is kind of annoying with their hipsterish ways, but to be honest, I think their frames are well built, well thought out and ride nicely. It's OK to be douchey if you can build decent products.

If it works and the price is good, I'm not biased. Once I'm burned I usually shy away from stuff unless they warranty it and make it right.
    ^^^

this...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Specialized - because I prefer something generalized

Super Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post

Spank sounds like such a dirty brand, I don't know that I can support them.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mazda - because my wife does not like it, and she has no good reason ("I just don't like the name")

Florsheim shoes - because a guy i didnt like back in middle school is an executive there.

Specialized tires - because once five years ago I had a rental bike with entry level specialized tires and I fell, I blamed the tires, won't buy them now (no way it was because i was riding an unfamiliar bike on an unfamiliar trail with a hangover, it was definitly the specialized tires)

Shimano road components because I declared myself a campy rider ten years ago. I'm confused by SRAM road components. My (campy equipped) road bike collects dust.

Redline bikes - got in fight in elementary school with bully who insisted my Haro BMX bike sucked and his Redline was better, have never bought a redline bike or part since then (although to be fair, I haven't bought a Haro either...and he was probably right)

Whole foods - not really a brand, but I don't like the store and wont shop at one if I can help it.

Shell gas - When I was younger my uncle told me he once got bad shell gas that ruined his engine, now it is hardwired in my brain to avoid it if possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Boycotting all the Vista Outdoors stuff right now. Kinda of hard as I'm helmet shopping and Bell and Giro are OUT.
    Didn't Vista stop making guns?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikenaked View Post
    Didn't Vista stop making guns?
    They still own Savage Arms, also they are one of the larger ammunition manufacturers (CCI, Federal, Blazer, Speer). They are trying to sell Savage arms.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by ghood View Post
    I hear this all the time, including from my shop guy who is super competent and trustworthy. But I have been riding their pedals for 15 years and they are one of the cheapest most reliable things on my bikes. I only weigh 145 and live in a place with smooth dirt singletrack virtually devoid of chunky rocky tech so maybe that's why it works for me.
    Myself, and many, many others have had a much different experience. I got so adept at rebuilding candies, that I could do it trailside. And the Joplin was just horrible. So, again, I have a perfectly good reason to not buy CB. I think Iím in the wrong thread.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    They still own Savage Arms, also they are one of the larger ammunition manufacturers (CCI, Federal, Blazer, Speer). They are trying to sell Savage arms.
    https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...-bell-giro-and

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    Mazda - because my wife does not like it, and she has no good reason ("I just don't like the name")

Florsheim shoes - because a guy i didnt like back in middle school is an executive there.

Specialized tires - because once five years ago I had a rental bike with entry level specialized tires and I fell, I blamed the tires, won't buy them now (no way it was because i was riding an unfamiliar bike on an unfamiliar trail with a hangover, it was definitly the specialized tires)

Shimano road components because I declared myself a campy rider ten years ago. I'm confused by SRAM road components. My (campy equipped) road bike collects dust.

Redline bikes - got in fight in elementary school with bully who insisted my Haro BMX bike sucked and his Redline was better, have never bought a redline bike or part since then (although to be fair, I haven't bought a Haro either...and he was probably right)

Whole foods - not really a brand, but I don't like the store and wont shop at one if I can help it.

Shell gas - When I was younger my uncle told me he once got bad shell gas that ruined his engine, now it is hardwired in my brain to avoid it if possible.
    are you part of the inspiration for Weird Alís song below?

https://youtu.be/MeXQBHLIPcw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Bachman, by the way I like my reasoning and I hope your TP turns out to be 40 grit.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Bachman, by the way I like my reasoning and I hope your TP turns out to be 40 grit.

I'll quit griping I guess because so far, I haven't lost enough skin layers wiping to keep off the bike saddle.

That' the only real way to keep score.

Cannondale, Lefty Fork, really? They donít have a leg to stand on.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Stone Jack Baller
    Cannondale, Lefty Fork, really? They donít have a leg to stand on.

Lone Wolf
    All these brands, big and small,

All This pissing and moaning, wow..

I'll admit I read lots of reviews before I buy and rarely buy new tech the first year, ever. The hype sucks, the pricing really sucks, and waiting a year or so gets you a better version two at often half the price, or even less...

I don't really recall buying any crappy stuff.
    ďI seek only the FlowĒ,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

Spherical Earther
    Not a brand you can purchase, but I do think the current Wells Fargo ads running on NPR are pretty funny. How the hell does "reestablished in 2018" make customers feel better about the 3.5 million times (that we know of) they cheated their customers? The ad campaign would have been better off saying "Sorry. Some of our folks were bad actors and we fired them and pressed charges." I might be able to rethink my trust level then but you don't just get a do-over cause you eliminated an incentive program. I was a Tier One customer until a former employee let me know what they were doing in the real estate market so we pitched out just before Great Western took over.

mtbr member
    Guess it is something I indirectly paid for, but strava told me they will no longer post my heart rate data, unless I allow them access to health related data. I sent them an email telling them that I will no longer be using strava, but it was an unreturnable email address. I have the same info on Garmin Connect. I had a windows update, and it corrupted my Garmin Connect. Last time I spent hours on their help chat before I found someone that could actually solve the problem. Know what, I have all my ride information in the history in the device, I do not need either of them.
    How am I supposed to pick a line through this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    trek- snobby douchebags rode them exlcusively back in the day
    giant- none of their bikes really grabbed my attention
    sram- never been a fan.... I hate grip shift!

as far as anything else, it all comes down to price....expensive brands I stay away from....I make the most of what I can afford..... last new bike I bought was back in 96... I rebuild peoples discards these days..... my GT I got from a family member after it got crashed when he was hit by a car
    97 specialized rockhopper.- urban beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- urban assault vehicle

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Myself, and many, many others have had a much different experience. I got so adept at rebuilding candies, that I could do it trailside. And the Joplin was just horrible. So, again, I have a perfectly good reason to not buy CB. I think Iím in the wrong thread.
    There was a timer built into every candy pedal I owned to wear out after 9 months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    All these brands, big and small,

All This pissing and moaning, wow..

I'll admit I read lots of reviews before I buy and rarely buy new tech the first year, ever. The hype sucks, the pricing really sucks, and waiting a year or so gets you a better version two at often half the price, or even less...

I don't really recall buying any crappy stuff.
    Swing and a miss replying to the OP.

You'll get em next time

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Intense. Iíve only known two people that owned and Intense bike and both broke their bikes.

Scott. I had a Scott road bike. It was a small frame and had a less steep headtube angle I guess to lessen toe overlap, which it had anyway but they did not alter the fork offset so handling was a bit funky. I also dislike their shock switches that decrease travel and lockouts and crap like that.

Surly. They have a great name and sort of cult, but to me the bikes are just Asian steel of average quality. And way too many braze on mounts.

Big Mac
    Swing and a miss replying to the OP.

You'll get em next time

No sh!t. Right over the head.

Big Mac
    There was a timer built into every candy pedal I owned to wear out after 9 months.

Damn! 9 months? Thatís really good. I was lucky to 4.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I highly disagree with my Candy 7 pedals. I've tried quite a few different brands and models, I'm not switching back. My first Candy 2s lasted 1,100 miles and the bearings were still good. Just had to adjust out some play a few times. I did bend the spindle on them but that was a piece of cake to replace. The 2s are now used a winter pedals for my road bike. The 7s are like new after 600 miles so far.

I won't buy Specialized, Trek, Giant because its a dumb name, Sram, and Schwalbe.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hyundai, I don't care how well they are priced, how long their warrentee is, I will never, ever buy a Hyundia.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    I highly disagree with my Candy 7 pedals. I've tried quite a few different brands and models, I'm not switching back. My first Candy 2s lasted 1,100 miles and the bearings were still good. Just had to adjust out some play a few times. I did bend the spindle on them but that was a piece of cake to replace. The 2s are now used a winter pedals for my road bike. The 7s are like new after 600 miles so far.

I won't buy Specialized, Trek, Giant because its a dumb name, Sram, and Schwalbe.
    I disagree with your candies as well. 1100 miles isnít very long, and yes they are easy to rebuild, but thatís not really the point. Iíve had times that lasted for years. Many years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Damn! 9 months? Thatís really good. I was lucky to 4.
    I'm only 150 pounds. The real issue was that I sucked at clipping into them. Shimano is much easier for me for whatever reason

Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Intense. Iíve only known two people that owned and Intense bike and both broke their bikes.
    Hmm. . funny, because Iíve been on the same Intense frame since 2002. My average weight being 210 lbs and Iíve always ridden some tech rocky trails. Not that Intense frames donít break but certainly not any more than most any other brand. Top quality built frames in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I disagree with your candies as well. 1100 miles isnít very long, and yes they are easy to rebuild, but thatís not really the point. Iíve had times that lasted for years. Many years.
    They were still good at 1,100 miles. I just found a good deal on the 7s and put the 2s away for winter road pedals. I wouldn't deny it seems like they use fairly cheap bearings. However good replacements can be found cheap and lube the bushing half a few times a year. They'll last forever like anything else thats well maintained. The clipping and smooth float is well worth it for me. 1,000 miles is about one year on the mtb since my miles are split with road.

Co Springs
    K H S
    Liked the look and style of some and even shopped them a bit but they didn't seem to have much presence or market share around here.

Months later, I joined a few rides with a guy that had one and nearly every ride, he had shifting issues or suspension 'problems'. Likely, correctable adjustments and set-up so I write it off to 50/50 of placebo and lack of proper set up and adjustment from new.

ie; No Good Reason

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Did someone call you "brace face" as a kid? If so, totally understandable.

The Maxxis logo is perfectly fine IMO, other than being yellow. Blechhh.
    Your logic regarding their sizing is beyond reproach. I assume you don't buy Specialized tires either.
    Or weighed a Schwalbe...

At least the IKON is correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I don't care what the brand is, but I will never buy a bike with suspension so there's that. Also, biking tights and jerseys. Won't buy those either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Evil bikes solely because of a particular owner talking to me about how he was 23% faster on average due to the bike alone and continuing to talk it up at any given opportunity. It drove me insane, I cannot even look at the bikes seriously anymore.

Giant Bikes due to the color schemes on the models I would be interested in, they remind me more of a walmart bike. I'm looking at you 2018 glory advanced color schemes.

WTB rims, this one is more reasonable though. On a 2015 Nomad I managed to kill both stock rims within the first month in the most minor of instances. I would be paranoid if I tried them again.

Alpinestars anything, their apparel that I had simply did not hold up at all so I won't be trying their other gear.

Vittoria tires, dat grey sidewall. I did like the morsa as a fast rolling rear though.

Bell full faces, my full 9 was so squeaky and I just cannot stand noises like that.

passed out in your garden
    Pivot

Last mtb trip met a bloke with a e-Pivot, he never shut up about it, l dont want to be him
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Evil. As a middle age guy with average riding skills I can't bring myself to ride a bike with that name.

Handup. They seem to push the partying/beer drinking lifestyle of a 21 year old and I don't even drink alcohol or fit into that demographic so I'll stick to Tasco.

Fezzari. They make great bikes but that name though...

I'd buy one now, but in the past I wouldn't buy Santa Cruz because every mountain biker in my area rode one and they seemed soooo trendy. You weren't in the "in" crowd unless you had a Santa Cruz and Toyota Tacoma.

Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Pivot

Last mtb trip met a bloke with a e-Pivot, he never shut up about it, l dont want to be him
    So his suspension pivots were electric?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So his suspension pivots were electric?
    It's the new Fox prototype!

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    It's the new Fox prototype!
    FoxEpivot

Cycologist
    They're gonna have gender specific models, FoxElady will be the women's version.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    They're gonna have gender specific models, FoxElady will be the women's version.
    Isn't that the one you have to use their new Purple Haze 14wt fluid and the Bleeding Heart valve? I think the Changes they made to the damping should help people who are into Drifting and should give more Freedom to choose better Inside Out lines.

Also, golf balls. I won't buy 'em. Especially Titleist.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Pivot

Pretty sure we all get a little over-excited about a new ride. I know I have trouble in this regard, so apologies in advance if we ride together that day.

Yooper
    Feb 2015
    SRAM. I have it on one bike. All the others have Shimano. I am totally grateful when I shift or brake with the Shimano components. SRAM constantly lets me down. Won't have it again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123