Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Boy Racer Avoidance Passion

For me, one of the big draws to trail riding over road riding is escaping the general roadie mentality of 'every rider is the competition'.

Admittedly, most trail riders I come across are pretty cool, but there are a few of those out there who abruptly go into 'race mode' the second another rider is in view.

For the most part, this doesn't bother me. I usually get a chuckle since I really couldn't care less about whether another rider is faster or slower than I am.

What does annoy me is when these 'boy racers' (no offense ladies because I've run into a few of you too!) interfere with my own ride.

Maybe its considered 'cool' to spot a random stranger, and wait up on them or let them pass, then go all out to catch up, ride their tire and/or pass inappropriately. Oh yeah, and for real kicks, lets do this a couple times if at all possible.

Of course, there's also the guys that can't possibly, ever be passed for whatever reason. Gosh forbid I want to ride at a random pace and accidentally go by them. Now its really on!! Seriously Boy Racer.... it really isn't!

Most of the trails I ride, I can divert at the next split. Otherwise, on a single loop, I just have to take a long break and let Mr. Race Man think he's won by a mile.

Maybe I can have little trophies made to hand out...

bust a move
    I struggle ignoring them sometimes. Love the little trophy idea
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    I think the boy racers like you.

stalker
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    Passive-aggressive approach...love it
    Bark less, wag more

mtbr member
    why don't you try to not give a sh*t about it and "racer boy avoidance" will cease to exist..or.. maybe scott O is correct

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You're overthinking this... if someone wants to pass your slow, trail hogging ass, move over and let them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You should start racing that way if someone passes you know that you do all of your competing when it matters. In a race.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalized View Post
    You're overthinking this... if someone wants to pass your slow, trail hogging ass, move over and let them.
    Spoken like a true racer boi.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i can't help it if I need to chase rabbits...

BTW...anybody in front of me is a rabbit....

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    i can't help it if I need to chase rabbits...

Hmm. Come to think of it, maybe I need to rethink the bunny slipper spds.

Rides like a kid

I just

want you to see my spandex from the front...and the back.

Have you tried a friendly "hello, nice day to get out huh?" I find that communication works well to solve differences. Maybe they don't want your dust or they finally figured out they will be late for the next whatever if they don't mash the pedals and get by you.

If you want to give them trophies, you are going to have to pick up the pace to meet them at the trail head

I am just kidding. I haven't actually had this problem myself, and I am not fast. Maybe I just ride at different times from the racer wannabes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    These kinds of things have happened to me several times. I find it happens more or less depending on the bike I'm riding at the moment.

A few times I passed some guys on the trail on some pretty low end bikes and they went out of their way every time to try to catch up to me and pass me. When passing they were tools about it too. Talking about how they deserve my bike more than I do.

I don't ride to race, though I do enjoy a fast pace, it seems a lot less mountain bikers are concerned with riding as much as they are as concerned about an ego boost and beating the next guy. If I had a nickel for every time someone suggested or asked about me racing I would probably have a bunch of money. Racing mountain bikes, I'm not even into the idea.

This isn't to say I don't let faster people pass. I always let people hauling ass pass me; however, it is nice to know that they are there. Some people ride up and say nothing and expect me to know that they are there and want to pass.

Machinist
    IDK if it has happpened to me, I guess I don't pay attention lol
    "Ya can't argue logic with ignorance.''

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
    If you want to give them trophies, you are going to have to pick up the pace to meet them at the trail head
    I'll give them out ahead of time in anticipation of them 'Winning'.

Which gives me an idea...

Little Charlie Sheen Bobbleheads would be perfect!

mtbr member
    The only solution is to ride faster. If someone comes up on your tail, ride even faster. It's about time you showed those punks who's boss.

mtbr member
    If I get passed I treat them with the most upheld respect and bloody try to pass the bastard again, its all just part of the game, and I am long passed been a boy.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    Had a guy do this to a buddy and I out and Interbike Dirt Demo this year. My friend had a great strategy. He simply yells out "faster pal, you're WINNING!!"
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

saddlemeat
    Someone passes me and they have thrown down the gauntlet and I will never forget. Bastard. I'll get you M***** F*****! I will stomp you when your heart is breaking A** W***! You m***** f***ing piece of cr**, you are going down the drain, D*****B**! You are about to hit the machine you miserable f****** skidmark...

(similar for awhile... then finally)

Yeah take that you f****** little boy poser, you f****** seat sniffing moma's boy, you watch my a** and then I'M GONE GOOBER! HA! Eat sh** pal...

I ride with the best dogs.

Des(s)ert Rat

What about Racer Girls?

Here's a essay I wrote years ago (the Surly was four singlespeeds ago! Probably 10 years):

The Rabbit

I decided to spend some quality time with my singlespeed yesterday. I had a long block of free time and I was going to take advantage of that time to go play on the Surly. I decided on the Kokopelli Loops for no particular reason, but I must say, I really enjoy Rustler’s Loop on the SS, it’s about perfect! It’s a swoopy red ribbon of singletrack that snakes around a bench above the Colorado River, offering views of the river and the sandstone canyons across it.

In the parking lot I met a very nice Canadian family, they were out to enjoy the day and after some small talk and advice on trails I left them. Rustler’s was great as expected. I saw and caught the two people that were on the trail, the rabbits weren’t fast, but it’s a “beginner’s trail” so I didn’t expect to find a good one. At the end of the loop there is a gate, it was at the gate when I saw him, a lone rider heading up Mary’s Loop. My blood boiled and I knew. He was the rabbit.

By the time I had gone through the gate and closed it back up again he had a pretty good head start, but I was ready to rock.

I started up the hill after him and was glad for the warm-up on Rustler’s. I could see he was using his gears, and I only had my one. This actually worked to my advantage as he downshifted and I had to stand up to mash the pedals. I was within one hundred yards at the top of the climb and was hoping to reel him in on the flat. Instead we held gap pretty evenly. Did he know he was the rabbit? Was he teasing me, speeding up when I did?

Between pushing up the hill and the all out race on the flat, my legs and lungs burned, I liked it. We were coming up on Horsethief and I was slowly gaining ground. Please, oh please, take Horsethief, I thought. He didn’t, he stayed on Mary’s. I stopped at Horsethief, unsure of what to do. I knew if I stayed there too long my rabbit would get away, yet I wanted to ride Horsethief. I decided to chase him to Pizza Hut Point and then return to Horsethief. Maybe I can catch him before the point.

My stop put me at a disadvantage. I lost everything I had gained on the climb and the smooth flat. I worked hard, but he had the advantage now, gears, suspension; things I left at home with my other bikes.

Soon after I left the turn off to Horsethief there was a guy coming the other way, dressed the same way my rabbit was. Was that him? Did he accidentally miss the turn onto Horsethief? I couldn’t turn around and chase him; that would look stupid and obvious. I kept going, sticking to plan B, the point and back to Horsethief. I rounded a couple more corners and saw my Rabbit on the singletrack ahead. I was relieved but stressed at the same time. He had built the gap in my confusion. I stepped up my pace and hammered up the snaky wash that was the trail, my favorite part of the return trip. The singletrack zipped by as I set my sights on the Rabbit, who was always just around the bend. Finally he stopped; he was taking a break at Pizza Hut Point. I rolled up to the point and said “hi,” but what I really wanted to do was to thank him for such a great chase. Rustler’s and to the point in an hour, that’s fast for me. I told him to have a great day and turned around to catch Horsethief on the way back to the car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Had a guy do this to a buddy and I out and Interbike Dirt Demo this year. My friend had a great strategy. He simply yells out "faster pal, you're WINNING!!"
    Great reply.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

mtbr member
    Cool story...I enjoyed it.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What do you see?

Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    What do you see?

space invaders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    space invaders.

Sorry, you are mentally ill. Galaga

Galaga - free online nintendo video games at 1980 games

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Only had this happen once.

Some racer boi passed my wife and I and almost knocked her off the trail. Full kit, etc... of course.

We saw him at the trail head (he passed us about 100 yards before the end). I sarcastically complimented him on how fast he was and what a badass pass that was. He wouldn't even respond to me.

Tool sheds.

Ovaries on the Outside
    i was going to make a remark that people should move somewhere people are not commonly on the trail.... I rarely run into people in my area.

Though, last summer a girl came blasting through a group of hikers. We were downhill, so my friend and I dismounted and started getting off the trail for her. She didn't slow down and almost knocked my friend down a pretty steep slope.

If I could have that moment over again, I don't know if I would bother with a retort, but I think I would certainly give her a stiff arm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Is contact not allowed where all this unpleasant following takes place?

since 4/10/2009
    ah, yes...racer bois. Some of them don't even slow down for the people doing trail maintenance. Ignore any suggestions that maybe there's something ahead that's different/unfinished/unstable.

If I encounter this type on the trail, I ride extra slow so they pass as quickly as possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    What do you see?

Each one looks like a vagina to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am guilty of being a Boy Racer years ago. Full team kit. Scowl. Shaved legs. Passing. Repassing. But I was having fun. My memory tells me a bit of etiquette was within me and I'd at least mutter "on your left".

Today I am no longer that racer. I also carry Jogger Fogger if anyone knocks me over during a pass. No sarcastic comment at trailhead. Thumb on lever, press.

mtbr member
    it's pretty sad when this happens. Having put in quite a few years in a LBS and support local trail access, I do feel bad for the shops who racer boi rides for locally. Instead of being approachable and represent themselves, the shop, and the locals in a great way it often times comes across as a dbag clique. embarassing when you're the shop employee @ the trail with new customers your introducing to the sport or trail and you see your shop team or members in full racer kits being dbags. you learn to tune it out quickly and not let it squash the stoke!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    it must suck to live in a place that has that crowded of trails. I am happy just to see another rider let alone worry about if they do or don't pass me.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    ah, yes...racer bois. Some of them don't even slow down for the people doing trail maintenance. Ignore any suggestions that maybe there's something ahead that's different/unfinished/unstable.

If I encounter this type on the trail, I ride extra slow so they pass as quickly as possible.
    Ditto.

As a matter of fact, I am prone to slam on the brakes hard, in a narrow section of singletrack with Poison Oak on both sides, causing panic braking by them resulting in off the beaten path trips for their future pleasure all week, as a reminder about the tortoise in front of them having the right of way.

+Rep for NateHawk.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    it's pretty sad when this happens. Having put in quite a few years in a LBS and support local trail access, I do feel bad for the shops who racer boi rides for locally. Instead of being approachable and represent themselves, the shop, and the locals in a great way it often times comes across as a dbag clique. embarassing when you're the shop employee @ the trail with new customers your introducing to the sport or trail and you see your shop team or members in full racer kits being dbags. you learn to tune it out quickly and not let it squash the stoke!
    assuming you're not the one at your shop who's in charge of sponsorships, but if it was me, I'd have a clause in the sponsorship deal that would say something to the effect:

"when wearing a jersey with our logo on it, you are a representative of this business and by agreeing to the terms of this sponsorship, you agree to behave in a manner that reflects positively upon this business. failure to represent this business in a positive manner will result in the termination of this sponsorship agreement"

or similar.

and if myself, one of my employees, or one of the shop's customers observed/reported racer boi failing to represent the bike shop in a positive manner, that sponsorship deal would be in serious jeopardy...especially if there is a particularly serious issue or a consistent pattern of problems.

that would especially include the way they ride/behave on public multi-use trails.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Ditto.

As a matter of fact, I am prone to slam on the brakes hard, in a narrow section of singletrack with Poison Oak on both sides, causing panic braking by them resulting in off the beaten path trips for their future pleasure all week, as a reminder about the tortoise in front of them having the right of way....
    well it's a good goddamn thing i am not allergic to PO now isn't it.

Des(s)ert Rat
    I would like to see the local high school team have some sort of clause. I have come across some poor attitudes on the trail lately. While I do play "chase the rabbit" (I posted the story above), I never let it get in the way of trail etiquette. And I certainly know that there are faster and more skilled riders out there, I'm just an old lady out playing on a bicycle. Chasing the "rabbits" is just one way to challenge myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint View Post
    I'm just an old lady out playing on a bicycle..
    Wait!?!? You're a girl!?!?

banned
    Sep 2007
    well it's a good goddamn thing i am not allergic to PO now isn't it.
    Use your brakes and give yourself enough distance and you won't be a Space Invader. Pretty simple.

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Wait!?!? You're a girl!?!?
    And she's a fast one at that... also way awesome person!
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Use your brakes and give yourself enough distance and you won't be a Space Invader. Pretty simple.
    why?

if i can pass without issue why should i let you hold me up?

makes no sense accommodating the LCD does it?

Des(s)ert Rat
    It's walking a fine line. Do you hold somebody up who is clearly faster than you, or do you mow someone down who is taking up the trail and will not let you pass. Obviously it's more subtle and complex than that. There has to be accommodation on both sides. Sometimes I'm that slower person that gets out of the way, sometimes I'm that faster person that patiently waits for a yield. Common courtesy... Maybe not so common?

It's walking a fine line. Do you hold somebody up who is clearly faster than you, or do you mow someone down who is taking up the trail and will not let you pass. Obviously it's more subtle and complex than that. There has to be accommodation on both sides. Sometimes I'm that slower person that gets out of the way, sometimes I'm that faster person that patiently waits for a yield. Common courtesy... Maybe not so common?
    you clearly are mucking up my orneriness with common sense and eloquent writing.

please stop as it is raining and cannot ride....therefore must argue on teh interwebz..

or i could have a beer and calm down...

hmmm.....

banned
    Sep 2007
    why?

if i can pass without issue why should i let you hold me up?

makes no sense accommodating the LCD does it?
    Define Least Common Denominator in this specific case. Are you talking hikers and equestrians on a multiuse trail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Exactly right. This thread could easily be about slow jackwagons that think they own the trail. Common courtesy should be the rule for slow and fast riders.

Des(s)ert Rat
    That's alright... I've already got bad rep points for my "Rabbit" story....

banned
    Sep 2007
    Sometimes I'm that guy in front, that's borderline VO2 maxed out, not thinking straight, can't hear what's around me and the person behind me is non communicative as to saying something to me to so that I know what their intent is. Not trying to be a jackwagon, I don't own the trail either, but I am in front of you, and that means I have right of way... doesn't mean I won't yield or that I always assume it either... again, common sense and circustances vary all the time. But get 5 bikers behind me waiting and wanting to pass, and the next available pullout, I'll pull over.

Some behavior only belongs on a race course, where all competitors agree to a set of rules, including jousting or contact during passes. But on a multi use trail, competition is not a good idea. The trail, being public, is presumed used for commerce. So the rules of commerce apply, which pretty much means rules of the road and vehicles apply also. You don't race or compete on public roads, at least not legally.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot View Post
    And she's a fast one at that... also way awesome person!
    Thanks!

And yup, I'm a girl... Hence the avatar, the Chickita Chick Flicks, and other "girly" attributes.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Thanks!

And yup, I'm a girl... Hence the avatar, the Chickita Chick Flicks, and other "girly" attributes.
    Technically, she's a Pro, she get's paid to ride a bike.

namagomi
    I'm not sure your application of Roadie ******ry is going to transfer directly to the mtb scene. You're right certain people will race you and be annoying in general, people race me when i commute to work for ****'s sake.

Anyways.

Do you really want to have a random stranger following you around as if you were their hood ornament? I get tailgated enough on the freeway! I'd be nervous they were looking at my goods and well you saw Deliverance didn't you. Except this time Burt Reynolds won't save you. Maybe you should mace them to make sure and then double back! Oh wait the car is at the lot by the bottom of the river...! Christ what am i going to tell the sheriff!

mikeb
    space invaders.
    /snort. heh...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Its all about communication. "on the left" is a good way to start out, and then, if they start to chase you and you are into it, then get into it! But if you are not, pull off to the side, "have a nice ride" and take a break. As mtn biking becomes more and more popular, we end up putting ourselves in a catch-22 similar to surfers, skaters, and other like sports. More people make our sport more acceptable, give us more places to ride, and make equipment more affordable. But at the same time, there are a finite number of places to ride, and if you have a 9-5, then a finite time window to ride, along with most of the rest of the population.

Personally, I love playing chase the leader when out on a group ride with my friends, there's even a little body elbow rubbing on the tight corners, but when I am riding by myself, I'm just out for a ride and not into racing anyone, unless we hit it off and start having fun with each other.

But again, communication is key. No man is an Island. Say hi, and make a friend
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

mtbr member
    I find this hilarious. I must admit that I see a little bit of the racer boy in myself. I try to be polite and let people by if they are faster than me but I do speed up when I hear them coming in the distance.When I see riders on another part of the trail and I think they are catching up to me I give it what I have till they catch me.
    Honestly I suppose I never thought about people that don't care about speed or competitveness. I'll try to be more mindful.
    However can you just ship me my trophy?

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnryder56 View Post

Personally, I love playing chase the leader when out on a group ride with my friends, there's even a little body elbow rubbing on the tight corners, but when I am riding by myself, I'm just out for a ride and not into racing anyone, unless we hit it off and start having fun with each other.

But again, communication is key. No man is an Island. Say hi, and make a friend

Er, careful there isn't a miscommunication!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    Now there's a guy who makes his own viagara! Lol

Des(s)ert Rat
    Ha! I wouldn't put myself in that category. A trained guide, but not a professional rider.

since 4/10/2009
    I was talking to a guy yesterday who figured out that I ride in some way or another - I didn't have any biking clothes on, or ride my bike that day so I dunno how.

But anyway, he was talking about how he won the state championship last year and how he really likes endurance events, did Leadville last year, and also ragging on our local trails (which I have a hand in the construction of, but the design was done by dburatti and approved by a university board) because all of the fall line stuff was closed.

He really made me think about this thread, because he put off a strong "Boy Racer" vibe. He totally skipped over the fact that he won Cat 3, and that he was the only guy to show up to all of the races in the series (and probably won Cat 3 in large part because of that). He was dogging on people who have a "diesel engine" type of effort, where they are more consistent and don't have the high output on/off switch sort of stuff.

I couldn't help but think, "who cares? Ride how you ride and let them do their own thing:"

mtbr member
    Some people are fast and some are slow, we all do both a certain times.

mtbr member
    "when wearing a jersey with our logo on it, you are a representative of this business and by agreeing to the terms of this sponsorship, you agree to behave in a manner that reflects positively upon this business. failure to represent this business in a positive manner will result in the termination of this sponsorship agreement"

i hear ya nate but the truth is some are there PURELY for the bro-deal "team" shop discount and that's all. representation? that's a joke. some only do trail work if they get points towards their standings in a race series. Obviously, there are good folks out there as well. just can't screen for dbags initially...that's usually a 3day wknd race turnaround. haha.

The worst racer boi encounter I've had- trying to clear fallen tree limb debris on a trail after some bad windy weather. while dragging limbs off the trail 3 racer boi from the shop I used to work for yell out "rider! outta the way, dude!" There was a lot of debris still on the trail! silver lining- a dad & his young son stopped to help after noticing what the racers did. I'm not hatin on racers just the ones who forget they're posers. maybe it's just gettin pulled from the tit too soon?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post

i hear ya nate but the truth is some are there PURELY for the bro-deal "team" shop discount and that's all. representation? that's a joke. some only do trail work if they get points towards their standings in a race series. Obviously, there are good folks out there as well. just can't screen for dbags initially...that's usually a 3day wknd race turnaround. haha.

The worst racer boi encounter I've had- trying to clear fallen tree limb debris on a trail after some bad windy weather. while dragging limbs off the trail 3 racer boi from the shop I used to work for yell out "rider! outta the way, dude!" There was a lot of debris still on the trail! silver lining- a dad & his young son stopped to help after noticing what the racers did. I'm not hatin on racers just the ones who forget they're posers. maybe it's just gettin pulled from the tit too soon?
    No, I get that a lot of them only want the bro deal so that they can afford chichi parts. But they behave like idiots because they don't get called out on it. The two racer bois who blew by me doing trail maintenance got an earful. One of them pulled his "I'm the PRESIDENT of the cycling club! [that has not played any sort of role with building or maintaining the trails] Who are YOU? I've never seen you" intimidation ********. I happened to be friends with the guy who was the faculty adviser for the club...so those racer bois heard about their poor behavior from someone above their heads. They haven't given me any trouble since.

It's true, you can't screen for those types beforehand, but recognizing that they're out there and creating a policy to handle them and hit them where it hurts when a problem DOES come up might help cut down on some bad behavior.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Ha! I wouldn't put myself in that category. A trained guide, but not a professional rider.
    You get paid to ride, that is your profession... just not as a racer. You can be a professional guide or a professional racer.. you have a license for it and have to pay taxes on your earnings from it. You're still a Pro.

If there's any doubt... check the tax code in the IRS and rulings on business losses, hobbies and claiming expenses, versus profession and being in business for profit.

I'm betting you are claiming your bikes as a business expense.
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 10-06-2011 at 10:07 AM.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    So if I'm trying to hammer out a quick ride and wanna pass you while I'm wearing baggies and a t-shirt, no problem right?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

nOOb
    May 2008
    If you'd just remove your earbuds, I wouldn't have to wait behind you to pass for 5 minutes, and act all impatient when I do so

Des(s)ert Rat
    And when would that be? 6-8 weeks?

Heal quickly!

Des(s)ert Rat
    Anime or Pokemon monsters.... Yep, I raised a boy...

Des(s)ert Rat
    Fair enough, but after working with true professional racers, I just can't lump myself in with them. The difference between the Cat 2's and the pros is astronomical.

Unfortunately, I bought my bikes before I started the business, so I haven't claimed them... Yet!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I don't think this can be pinned on roadies. I am more of a roadie than a mtb'er these days but I will never rock full spandex when mtb'ing. Certainly, the people in spandex are more primed for it. It's more a competitive or racer mentality than a road vs mtb mentality.
    The way I look at it is if you're gonna yo yo, it means you're not in good cardio shape. I'd rather maintain a high constant rate than go back and forth redlining and recovering. That's my main goal. As for mtb....I'm just out there to have a good time, not race. But, I have to admit, I WILL mess with a spandex boi by just sucking on their wheel and not allowing them to shake me. That's where road riding comes in: you learn how to draft and save energy.

My bigger concern is the lack of trail etiquette. If you're going uphill, someone's supposed to give way if they're coming downhill. That's just a rule. Nobody pays any attention to it and these days I've taken up to just continuing and forcing them to dismount. Then I just calmly tell them uphill has right of way.
    Last edited by thechez; 10-06-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: addition

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You get paid to ride, that is your profession... just not as a racer. You can be a professional guide or a professional racer.. you have a license for it and have to pay taxes on your earnings from it. You're still a Pro.

If there's any doubt... check the tax code in the IRS and rulings on business losses, hobbies and claiming expenses, versus profession and being in business for profit.

I'm betting you are claiming your bikes as a business expense.
    Sandy!

I fix choppers

Damn, I thought...

...you were talking about this pretty decent Moz number.

However, regarding the topic at hand...I have always had fun tormenting "boy racers". I am not that fast, but fast enough. What I would do is hold the schmucks up on a short to moderate climb until they could scoot by me and then hop in on their wheel on the next decent, buzzing their tires and laughing as I came down after them like a freight train on meth. I always politely wish them a nice day as they ride off to win their next Cat 6 race. This is all in good fun and I am okay at these efforts, but my old pal Patti Melt is the master of this. He is over 2 bills, 6'3'' and is one of the fastest riders I have ever ridden with...both up and downhill. I have seen him on multiple occassions beat racer boys uphill who were kitted out aboard their feathery XC rigs. He does this aboard a nearly 40 lb AM/Freeride rig too!
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

bust a move
    I am not the racer boi type but more like the dog who chases the paperboy, If riding alone and I see, hear or smell you on my ride, I will probably have a go at you. If I catch up, I back off a bit and either ask to pass or pick a option and maybe scope out another paperboy, if I never catch up its ok because it was probably a good cardio blast. There aren't many riders where I do most of my riding so it doesn't happen often. BTW, if you catch me, unless it is a sketchy section, I get out of the way because I ride hard and if you caught me, then you are faster.

On a ride a few weeks back (before the incredibell), I caught up to a young woman riding solo. She didn't appear to be a noob as she had a good pace and control of her bike. While following her for a minute or so from about 10 ft. back and not pushing I say "good morning"... nothing in response, I follow her for another few feet thinking ok I'll just wait till the next opening to pass when she suddenly goes really wide in the first corner in a series of esses, so I gas it, dive to her inside and say "thank you". I then realize I have just shocked the crap out of her as I see her flinch big time as I pass and almost as soon as I went by I told her I was sorry and that I thought she was letting me by... nothing in response. From the moment I caught up to her until after the time I went by she never acknowledged my presence. I believe in all the years of riding I don't recall a single person (who wasn't wearing headspeakers) that did not respond in some way. I don't need a conversation, just a grunt, FO or some other form of communication. Anyway, she went away thinking "that fat old guy passed me like a racer boi" and I went away thinking she was rude and that I should have just waited to pass.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

CEO Product Failure
    Some "racer types" often take themselves too seriously. I don't mind getting passed by another rider and do not mind pulling either--so long as that other riders is friendly and responds to me when I say "hello". If he/she is conversational as we freight-train (HB, how ya been?) through the woody singletrack, even better.

Personally, I have no aspirations of ever racing again. I do like training. I do like going fast. But there's a difference somewhere in there when it comes to actual pinning a number on the jersey and ante'ing up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post

However, regarding the topic at hand...I have always had fun tormenting "boy racers". I am not that fast, but fast enough. What I would do is hold the schmucks up on a short to moderate climb until they could scoot by me and then hop in on their wheel on the next decent, buzzing their tires and laughing as I came down after them like a freight train on meth. I always politely wish them a nice day as they ride off to win their next Cat 6 race. This is all in good fun and I am okay at these efforts, but my old pal Patti Melt is the master of this. He is over 2 bills, 6'3'' and is one of the fastest riders I have ever ridden with...both up and downhill. I have seen him on multiple occassions beat racer boys uphill who were kitted out aboard their feathery XC rigs. He does this aboard a nearly 40 lb AM/Freeride rig too!
    Why would you assume that everyone that wears lycra is a wannabe racer? You describe the absolute ******baggery that people do to me. I don't race, but I do wear a jersey, baggies and ride a lightweight XC bike.

What is the point of doing these kinds of things? To prove that you can go faster on a heavier bike? Good for you. As much as you pretend not to be the boi racer yourself, you present yourself in the exact same way. Rudeness and disregard for the other people on the trail. You don't have to be wearing an XC kit on XC bike to be a racer boi. "it's all in good fun" who's fun is that? I doubt rider in front of you gets as stoked on being chased as you are doing the chasing.

There seems to be an overall theme with this line of thinking. The person being chased doesn't mind it.

mtbr member
    I always try to assume everyone is just out to have a good time.

Probably drunk right now

Whatever, sandbagger...

And I certainly know that there are faster and more skilled riders out there, I'm just an old lady out playing on a bicycle.
    Sure. Whatever you say, hammer.

There aren't many that are faster or more skilled. And you're far from old. And that goes for your sandbagging friends too....

I'll regale you all with one of my ride experiences with Sarah and her posse. I have a fair amount of self confidence, so I wasn't overly bothered by being passed by a pregnant woman on a singlespeed on one of Sarah's "easy" group rides. While I was gasping for breath, she was carrying on a (one-sided) conversation about the great weather and great trail conditions before dropping me like last week's leftovers.

And for clarity, Cat 2 in Colorado is Cat 1 almost everywhere else.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

VENI VEDI BIKI
    each one looks like a vagina to me.
    + 1

VENI VEDI BIKI
    So much of this is perception. I am probably a "middle of the trail" rider...I pass a lot and get passed a lot. If I am coming up on someone, I usually ask if I can sneak by when he gets a chance and then comment that it is a great day for a ride. When I feel someone breathing up my ass, I will usually have 1 of 2 responses. If I am in "the zone" and the endorphins are going, I may kick it into high gear and see how long I can last. If I don't have legs that day, don't know the trail, or if I am out on a "smelling the flowers" ride, I will pull over and take a drink and let him go by. The only guys that p!ss me off are the people who try and pass you without saying anything or giving you warning, and the ******s who know you are behind them, refuse to move over, and ride like slugs in the middle of the trail. Sometimes having a rabbit or someone crawl ing up your a$$ is a great motivator; othertimes it is an annoyance. As long as people are courteous, everything is good.

But, I have certainly had my share of race boyz on full carbon, dual suspension rigs fly by me and freak me out/push me off the trail. Then again, the guy I passed yesterday on the climb may be thinking "that a$$hole with his tricked-out singlespeed just had to pass me to show me he is better...."

Sometimes its not about you.

mtbr member
    I enjoy hammerfests with riders of similar ability, nothing wrong with that, but I am always curteous and say hello to anyone I encounter on the trail

Probably drunk right now

Well since it's all about you...

Since it's all about you, I understand where you're coming from.

I have a different take. I know that I ride technical sections faster than many riders. I also know that many XC racers will out climb me. So I'll go faster than some people on some sections of the trail and they'll go faster than me in other areas.

And every so often, this results in us crossing paths on the trail. GASP! Sometimes more than once.

There are also times where I'm riding for a purpose. If that purpose happens to be intervals, it's possible that someone's perception could be similar to yours. But that's your problem, not mine.

I don't care to let other people negatively affect how I enjoy spending my free time. So to me, it's all good.

Whatever makes you happy.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Really fun stuff. A two page and growing thread on how horrible and uncool "roadie attitude" is. Hmmm, who has the attitude?

Lots of people who are insecure about their fitness here. "Oh my, someone passed me instead of stopping to have a beer with me, I'm so offended." Maybe it's time for another "I passed someone going the other way and they didn't wave or say hi and now my day is ruined, (and I didn't like what they were wearing either)" thread

Why anyone cares about what another person wears, what they find to be fun, what motivates them to ride a bike, what their personality characteristics are or anything else is beyond me. Here's the deal, you're only in control of the speech, thoughts, and actions of one person. Concentrate on that.
    Last edited by zrm; 10-07-2011 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    ....Here's the deal, you're only in control of the speech, thoughts, and actions of one person. Concentrate on that.
    But then what are we supposed to do all day if we aren't complaining about others? Work???

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    If this is really a problem in your area, put a note on your back that says chill out, I'm not racing you or something.

And yes I agree with some ppl here who mentioned that sometimes its misconceptions. I probably come off as a boi racer to some because I always push myself. But really its only because I'm racing myself, it has nothing to do with you. I'm just trying to get by because I'm trying to beat a PR and find speed thrilling

mikeb
    if more of you stopped and smoked a little weed during your rides...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    ........ You'd cough more and be dumber.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Not during, it ****s up my lap time. A little bit before( just enough to feel it not be super spacey) more after with some beers.

I am probably the opposite of a racer boi. No one would confuse me with a fast person; ever. I repeatedly apologize for passing people-- even during races. I'm always like "excuse me, when you get a chance, could I please pass?" And I feel bad about passing them since I have only been riding for a short time and am slow.

During a recent race, my rear tire slipped on a root on an uphill and I went down. As I was going down I tried to force my fall to the side of the trail so as not to knock over the people behind me. Apologizing the whole time for falling. The response to me was "Just try to stay on your bike." I took it as a backwards insult for getting in the way. Since that was the tone used.

I do like when people are behind/ahead of me since it's more like a goal thing. Stay in front/catch up. It's a motivator otherwise I would be even slower and at that point I would be going backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    ........ You'd cough more and be dumber.
    but i have lots of fun and that's what matters most...

btw, i used to race a lot in during a four year period in the late nineties...the only race in which i didn't get stoned beforehand, i got next to last place...i got a top five once in a race where lots of riders (presumably straightedge and sober) made wrong turns...

i don't get on my bike without having a few pops...to each their own...

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Having an attitude is the problem, not going fast. I am faster than the vast majority of riders on our trails yet I know tons of people who will and can drop me like a hot potato. Since their speed is humbling I never have attitude with people I cross paths with when I'm trying for a personal best time.

There have only been a few times where I've chased or been chased by people of similar speed and generally this has been a lot of fun. One time a 50 year old chased me down for 15 minutes or so as I pulled out and used up every trick I had trying to keep him from closing on me. Eventually, on the verge of passing out I said "I can't sustain this pace any more" to which he replied 'I love this pace" and hammered on past me. I was only 46 at the time so the beating I received wasn't too bad...

If there are slowpokes in front I almost always wait until they move over since blasting by other riders enjoying their day isn't part of my game. I am not in a race after all. People are very polite in my area and almost always apologize for holding me up. I don't know why they do this bit I always answer with a thank you, or say 'no worries' and carry on my way.

I am by nature friendly and courteous and can't fathom why people in this sport choose to act like children instead.

Drew
    Last edited by dru; 10-07-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    So much of this is perception. I am probably a "middle of the trail" rider...I pass a lot and get passed a lot. If I am coming up on someone, I usually ask if I can sneak by when he gets a chance and then comment that it is a great day for a ride. When I feel someone breathing up my ass, I will usually have 1 of 2 responses. If I am in "the zone" and the endorphins are going, I may kick it into high gear and see how long I can last. If I don't have legs that day, don't know the trail, or if I am out on a "smelling the flowers" ride, I will pull over and take a drink and let him go by. The only guys that p!ss me off are the people who try and pass you without saying anything or giving you warning, and the ******s who know you are behind them, refuse to move over, and ride like slugs in the middle of the trail. Sometimes having a rabbit or someone crawl ing up your a$$ is a great motivator; othertimes it is an annoyance. As long as people are courteous, everything is good.

But, I have certainly had my share of race boyz on full carbon, dual suspension rigs fly by me and freak me out/push me off the trail. Then again, the guy I passed yesterday on the climb may be thinking "that a$$hole with his tricked-out singlespeed just had to pass me to show me he is better...."

Sometimes its not about you.
    Anyone else see the irony in this?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    no.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That's exactly what I saw! vaginae when taken all together. I think that the guy who posted this was trying to make the point that b|tching about somebody passing you is sorta like a vagina b|tching about its hard lot, e.g. a yeast infection.

Now you might find it hard to imagine a vagina b|tching, but its not much harder to imagine b|tching vaginae than imagining b|tching confident, mentally-healthy mountain bikers.

"2 Wycked"
    Not really. I don't see any irony at all in the 2 points you highlighted.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    Not really. I don't see any irony at all in the 2 points you highlighted.
    Therein lies the irony.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    start racing man

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ok man

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    last post

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    That's alright... I've already got bad rep points for my "Rabbit" story....

Why? I loved the story. You had fun and did not affect any other riders.

I had fun chasing you around GJ, but you knew that.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    The key is 1) polite communication 2) bell.

EVERYONE should have a bell on their bike - they are invaluable. A slight ring on the way to the trail helps walkers understand you are coming up behind them. On two way trails, they are also very important when going fast around blind corners and down hills as it alerts riders to your presence. I am so used to giving rings in these situations its second nature now.

If I am coming up on a rider knowing they will pass me, I typically will give a slight jingle just so they are aware of my presence, and its unique pitch has proven to even cut through the music on earphone riders. Its also great to alert dogs on the trails of your presence. Its honestly been one of the best in ride assets I have ever used. I always say 'thank you', and its a polite way IMO to basically say 'let me pass'.

Regarding faster riders, always let faster riders past as soon as the situation allows it. Never tail a stranger closer than 4-5 bike lengths, as its dangerous and impolite.

Given that, I always have enjoyable experiences with folks as long as you are polite!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was out riding last year when I passed a lady on horse taking a break, moments after I pass I sense the chase is on. I never looked back, I'm slow, but I know winning means never looking back. I pour it on for the downhill which goes on for about a mile, I take the sweeping turn into the uphill section as fast as I can, still never looking back. Now the race is really on. I'm doing my usual ride on this trail, which means 2 miles of constant climbing, fairly smooth but lots of rollers and it's very sandy. I usually turn around at the top, where there is a well and a cattle loading area I decide I will stick to my pattern. I look ahead and set a pace a I think I can hold without blowing up. I know a horse is going to be faster, but I also know they can't keep it up like I can. I push and am thankful for all the riding I've been doing lately. At the top of the hill I pull into the open cattle pen and turn back around, I start back down the hill, after a few seconds I pass her, the lady can't hide her disappointment nor can she hide the sweatiest horse I have ever seen.

My only racer story, it was a great ride.
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

VENI VEDI BIKI
    I fail to see any "irony" ( I believe what you meant was "inconsistency") in saying that 1) If I have the legs, I will kick it into high gear when someone is behind me; and 2) I dislike people who know I am behind them and just sit there and refuse to move over. Now, if I had said for 2) that I don't like guys who start trying to go really fast when I approach from behind, then you may have a point. Or, you may have a point if I had said for 1) that I get pissed when some one is coming up behind me and so I sit there and make them slow down. But, as stated, there is no logical inconsistency or "irony" with the two positions highlighted.

Methinks someone slept through logic class and literature.

i·ro·ny1    /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/ Show Spelled[ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] Show IPA
    noun, plural -nies.
    1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
    2. Literature .
    a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
    b. (especially in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., especially as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    That's exactly what I saw! vaginae when taken all together.
    +1 on the latin refresher.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    Having an attitude is the problem, not going fast. I am faster than the vast majority of riders on our trails yet I know tons of people who will and can drop me like a hot potato. Since their speed is humbling I never have attitude with people I cross paths with when I'm trying for a personal best time.

There have only been a few times where I've chased or been chased by people of similar speed and generally this has been a lot of fun. One time a 50 year old chased me down for 15 minutes or so as I pulled out and used up every trick I had trying to keep him from closing on me. Eventually, on the verge of passing out I said "I can't sustain this pace any more" to which he replied 'I love this pace" and hammered on past me. I was only 46 at the time so the beating I received wasn't too bad...

If there are slowpokes in front I almost always wait until they move over since blasting by other riders enjoying their day isn't part of my game. I am not in a race after all. People are very polite in my area and almost always apologize for holding me up. I don't know why they do this bit I always answer with a thank you, or say 'no worries' and carry on my way.

I am by nature friendly and courteous and can't fathom why people in this sport choose to act like children instead.

Drew
    Winner winner, chicken dinner. Same boat here.

"On your left" with a callout to where and how youre gonna pass works wonders. If you screw up and tangle with the other rider of God forbid cause them to crash (done that a few times...embarrassing) then stop and apologize and make sure they are OK. Then take youre "racer boi" self and keep going. And not for nothing if my spandex and shop jersey bother you, you might be the one with the 'tude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    EVERYONE should have a bell on their bike - they are invaluable. A slight ring on the way to the trail helps walkers understand you are coming up behind them.
    Not on the trails in my area. People get beat up for those kinds of things where I ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast