Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Bored of Mountain Biking...?

Hey everybody,

This is my first post; I created an account to get some feedback on something I'm experiencing.

When I first began mountain biking, I was addicted to the thrill, risk, challenges, etc associated with mountain biking. When I first started riding, I could barely do a few trails without falling. After 2 years of riding, I can rip through all my local trails and no matter how fast I'm going, I just don't have fun anymore. I don't mean to "brag", but I have honestly mastered all my local trails (btw, I ride at Alafia, Boyette, Santos, etc). Also, I ride a hardtail, so it's not like I am not "feeling" the terrain.

I just wanted to know if anybody else here as experienced the same thing, and perhaps how you overcame it. I would really appreciate any input.

Cheers,

Spear

beater

I'd say you either dig it or you don't; there's nothing wrong with changing interests. But if it's something you're wrestling with, given that you created the account for this post, you might try something different. Try riding someplace else where the trails are unlike those at home.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Go to the mountains. FL has some great riding, but riding down hill for more than a few seconds is exhilarating and the sustained speed is something you just can't get here.

Unpredictable
    I find it a bit like skiing. The number of days where everything is just perfect are very few. The number of runs where everything is perfect is also very limited. Fitness, rhythm, pure turns with no loss of momentum etc all play a part. If I ever become that good, I guess it will be time to start longer touring rides where the scenery and company of others becomes more important than the skillset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kar Spear View Post
    Hey everybody,

This is my first post; I created an account to get some feedback on something I'm experiencing.

When I first began mountain biking, I was addicted to the thrill, risk, challenges, etc associated with mountain biking. When I first started riding, I could barely do a few trails without falling. After 2 years of riding, I can rip through all my local trails and no matter how fast I'm going, I just don't have fun anymore. I don't mean to "brag", but I have honestly mastered all my local trails (btw, I ride at Alafia, Boyette, Santos, etc). Also, I ride a hardtail, so it's not like I am not "feeling" the terrain.

I just wanted to know if anybody else here as experienced the same thing, and perhaps how you overcame it. I would really appreciate any input.

Cheers,

Spear
    Go on a road trip and try a few new trails to see if you are feeling the excitement again. If you do, then I would suggest you to move!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Maybe you need a new bike? lol. Or maybe really you have lost interest in it? Or maybe you just need a break from it for awhile and then come back to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    A change in venue is a good thing to keep your interest up. I'm not totally bored with my local trails, but am familiar enough with them that I am looking to get out to surrounding communities with different trails. However, I'm in Colorado, so there is no shortage to the number of trails I haven't ridden. If possible, plan some weekend trips to trails you haven't ridden to add some variety.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I absolutely agree that if I were up north that had more variety and downhill riding, I would love it. Unfortunately, I couldn't bring myself to pack up and move up north just for mountain biking lol.

I also freedive and spearfish, and I never get bored of that, probably because it is constantly different, even at the same reef/wreck, and theres always surprises.

Living in florida, taking road trips to more gravity-oriented areas will be tough, timely, and expensive, considering how far away I am.

For those of you who have mastered your local trails, and don't have the opportunity to try new trails, how do you stay pumped and interested in biking the same stuff over and over? When I get on a trail, its as if I know every root and rock.

mtbr member

Convert your bike to a single speed. I have a FS and a SS. Trails I ride both on are totally different trails depending on the bike. But like some of the other posters stated, maybe it's just not your thing. Take a break and see if you miss it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vassago VerHauen
    Ibis Ripley.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I ride the same trails
    If you are that fast, then race.
    Give yourself a reason to go out and ride as fast as possible.
    Squiggy is tomorrow. Think you're up to 6 hours of flatwoods?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Even from Florida, you can find some really good trails in North GA, SC and the NC mountains....all within 4-6 hours from the GA-FL line. F.A.T.S. Is just northeast of Augusta, bull mtn and Bartram in N GA, plus many smaller trails that are completely different than anything you'll find in Florida: Chicopee Woods, Ft Yargo State Park, . Honestly, I think I'd get bored on flat land like that, too. Find some hills and you'll renew your passion for riding.

See the link below for ideas:
    My Top Five: The Best Mountain Bike Trails in the CSRA | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Warboom, I actually live about a 10 minute bike ride from flatwoods. There is literally 0 elevation change there, so I've promised myself never to go back. I understand that some people love biking for the fitness aspect of it, and flatwoods is perfect for that. Personally, the drops and speed are what got me hooked to biking. Unfortunately, the downs at alafia/boyette have lost their thrill.

Mayberry, I'll definitely look into the trails in NC and SC. The drive doesn't seem too terrible. Even though I can rip through my local trails, I am almost certain I would be horrible if you threw me in utah on a DH bike. I guess that could also be bothering me (the fact that my skill set is so limited to florida-like trails).

Thanks for all your replies

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Bored of Mountain Biking...?

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorBo View Post
    Convert your bike to a single speed. I have a FS and a SS. Trails I ride both on are totally different trails depending on the bike. But like some of the other posters stated, maybe it's just not your thing. Take a break and see if you miss it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This. I converted one of my old bikes to SS and it reopened my eyes to mountain biking.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Put an ENDURO sticker in your bike.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I absolutely agree that if I were up north that had more variety and downhill riding, I would love it. Unfortunately, I couldn't bring myself to pack up and move up north just for mountain biking lol.

I also freedive and spearfish, and I never get bored of that, probably because it is constantly different, even at the same reef/wreck, and theres always surprises.

Living in florida, taking road trips to more gravity-oriented areas will be tough, timely, and expensive, considering how far away I am.

For those of you who have mastered your local trails, and don't have the opportunity to try new trails, how do you stay pumped and interested in biking the same stuff over and over? When I get on a trail, its as if I know every root and rock.
    You need to change things up; find new trails out there, and master them too. The challenge and excitement of MTB is all about the seeking-out of new venues. While you are at it - get a new bike too....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just don't have fun anymore. I don't mean to "brag", but I have honestly mastered all my local trails (btw, I ride at Alafia, Boyette, Santos, etc). Also, I ride a hardtail, so it's not like I am not "feeling" the terrain.
    Being based out of Tampa, I ride the same set of trails as you and I have gone through similar thoughts at times - it tends to coincide with the "new bike itch". Having been through 7 different bikes/frames in 5 years - that is one way to keep things interesting.

I second the idea of heading for the mountains occasionally. I make the trip to the Pisgah/Asheville NC area several times a year (10 hour drive from Tampa) and it's completely different than the riding down here.

Lastly, looking for a way to make riding fast on the same ol' trails fun again? Think you're fast? Try running Strava. Very humbling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I live in the CSRA (Augusta, GA area), closest trail from the house it FATS. At times I do get bored with the 150ish miles of trails. To mix it up I ride a HT and rigid ss. Also I ride with my daughters and wife a bit. These mix up the style of riding I do. Also I hit the forest service roads and connect multiple trails for longer riding options.

For the last few weeks i have been trail running a bit also. Still get out on the trails I love but ding something different. Have you tried night riding?

Rogue Exterminator
    I don't get bored but I live near Pisgah National Forest.

Not knocking your trails as I hear they are good and have some friends that live down that way. They still however come up here to ride for a reason.

A couple things you can do is obviously mix up your ride and travel.
    Unfortunately this isn't as easy to do all the time for some with work and finances but a mountain bike vacation may re spark an interest and give you something to look forward to do over again. Another thing is get a different type of bike. I think a single speed is a good choice. I wasn't bored by any means of hopping on my full squish geared bike but I picked up a single speed a couple weeks ago and the new challenges along changing the way I ride changes the game and mixes it up.

And like evasive said, some people just don't have the passion.
    If you don't have it, you can't force it.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    You need to change things up; find new trails out there, and master them too. The challenge and excitement of MTB is all about the seeking-out of new venues. While you are at it - get a new bike too....
    Agreed 100%...time to find new trails and do some exploring. Sounds strange but when I feel like this I also go out and buy something new for my bike and or for riding in general.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey everybody,

Cheers,

Spear
    try mtn. biking. living in Florida, you haven't yet
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Sacrilegious! riding since 1985,never once bored,mix it up! I just discovered CX,also racing Enduro after years of DH.maybe it is just not your forte and need another activity!

mtbr member
    Have you ever considered racing?

100.oz minimum
    Mar 2013
    Pack on 30 lbs & get fat over winter: This will help with motivation.
    -always thinking about the next ride-

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I started riding trails back in Georgia and now Im in Japan ripping up trails in Okinawa and I love it. A change in terrain and scenery definitely spice up riding.

The Fastest of Bananas
    You only think you are fast. Try Strava, people will surprise you.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast