Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If I lived in Florida I don't think I would be into mountain biking either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Buy less junk, channel said funds from not buying junk into trips to other places to mountain bike.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamrockandroll13 View Post
    Buy less junk, channel said funds from not buying junk into trips to other places to mountain bike.
    less is more

psycho cyclo addict
    Work is a lot more boring that riding ANY sort of bicycle ANYWHERE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kar Spear View Post
    I just wanted to know if anybody else here as experienced the same thing, and perhaps how you overcame it. I would really appreciate any input.
    I bought a road bike

Professional Dirt Sampler
    If you have any competitive spirit in you, why not go racing?

This is something that has always helped me when I started to lose interest in a hobby (RC cars, motocross, MTB, running). When the thrill of just practicing fades and I think I've reached the pinnacle of my speed I like to put myself back in my place by racing. I find this does a couple things for me.

First, it encourages me to go ride during the week and challenge myself to ride my current trails faster. That usually translates to a better finish at the next race and that feeds the next period of training trying to better that finish.

Second, it gives me a chance to ride new trails since the races I've entered are on trails that aren't typically open except for races.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Elevation does not necessarily equal fun ridin
    Odd, I can't think of a ride I've done over 7000 feet that wasn't fun.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by z400jt View Post
    If you have any competitive spirit in you, why not go racing?

This is something that has always helped me when I started to lose interest in a hobby (RC cars, motocross, MTB, running). When the thrill of just practicing fades and I think I've reached the pinnacle of my speed I like to put myself back in my place by racing. I find this does a couple things for me.

First, it encourages me to go ride during the week and challenge myself to ride my current trails faster. That usually translates to a better finish at the next race and that feeds the next period of training trying to better that finish.

Second, it gives me a chance to ride new trails since the races I've entered are on trails that aren't typically open except for races.
    Also, it's an eye opener the first time you race how slow your fastest really is compared to the really really fast guys. I was always a pretty strong road racer but my first MTB race was a true WTF moment when I saw how fast those guys were. The technique thing is massive. If you think you know how to ride a mountain bike fast but have never raced go do a technical XC race and prepare to have your mind blown.

All in all though racing is a blast, fast, slow, or in between. Mountain bike racers are, in my experience, a very chill bunch.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Odd, I can't think of a ride I've done over 7000 feet that wasn't fun.
    so true...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

100.oz minimum
    Mar 2013
    I will never be bored cause it's the only time I truly feel free.
    -always thinking about the next ride-

mtbr member
    change your lines. dig(volunteer for trail work. a good way to appreciate what you have and maybe help create new lines). ride urban. ride bmx @ a track. that'll check your skill level real quick.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Sometimes, giving up a hobby isn't bad. If you aren't having as much fun riding as you are doing something else, then you are a fool if you keep at it.

Giving up a hobby doesn't mean you can't pick it up again in the future either.

Its your free time. Maximize it!

My suggestion is cut back on your riding time and do your diving or perhaps something entirely new. You may enjoy the more infrequent ride more..

mtbr member
    Try riding the same trails at night.

Or just accept that you are bored of your local trails.

Try something new, get away from mountain biking. Mountain biking doesn't define you, get out and expand the definition of "you"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Bored of Mountain Biking...?

Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    Try riding the same trails at night.

Or just accept that you are bored of your local trails.

Try something new, get away from mountain biking. Mountain biking doesn't define you, get out and expand the definition of "you"
    On a unicycle ...

Or just quit and move one.

mtbr member
    i'm in the same boat! been mountain biking since 1985 and really have no passion to ride my mountain bike or road bike at all of late. Could be the "polar vortex" winter in CT or maybe I'm just due to take some time away from biking?? Gonna do some hiking and try running again. Sold my 29er and listed my new Cannondale CAAD 10 on ebay.
    my 5 year old son took my photo, not a bad shot!

Unpredictable
    Look, that's it! Enough of the this BS thread.

If you are bored of MTB, then go sook somewhere else! I don't need to read your whining looserism and I'll bet I'm not alone.

MTB is the spirit of life. Psychiatrists cater to the perpetually emotionally dissatisfied.

Mods, please close this depressive POS post and get back to the real stuff.....

Riding bikes in the bush

Bored of Mountain Biking...?-hot-girls-bicycles-6.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Bored of Mountain Biking...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Look, that's it! Enough of the this BS thread.

If you are bored of MTB, then go sook somewhere else! I don't need to read your whining looserism and I'll bet I'm not alone.
    The only BS in this thread is your post.

The OP was asking legitimate questions. If you don't like the discussion there are plenty of other threads you can go read.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    how about this one;

Markham Park Mountain Bike Trail in Sunrise, Florida || SINGLETRACKS.COM

It's closer to where you live.

Also I agree with the travel to N. Ga, SC, NC. They are not all that far and offer many different types of riding!

mtbr member
    why do so many people bash others in forurms like these? Some are just stating opinions and others are quick to judge and bash them. That's why I shut off facebook and don't post much here, too many haters and douchbags!
    my 5 year old son took my photo, not a bad shot!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Bored of Mountain Biking...?

Quote Originally Posted by Kar Spear View Post
    I just wanted to know if anybody else here as experienced the same thing, and perhaps how you overcame it. I would really appreciate any input.
    The answer is simple. Race.

I've experienced some form of what you described in several contexts. Skiing, road biking, and mountain biking. At first it's awesome but as you improve your skills the adrenaline decreases. Without the challenge of learning new things it doesn't have that edge any more. Just being in the fresh air is deeply satisfying for some, but not for you. You find it nice and all, but you want more.

For me racing solved all of this. Rides now have a purpose: training. They are still fun, get me outdoors... all that jazz, but they underlying objective is to get one step closer to winning races. And all of a sudden the rides become fun again.

And for me the adrenaline of racing itself is huge. I got near the pointy end in triathlon (I'm giving MTB a shot now after a running injury) and I would start getting excited about big races weeks before. And the race itself... the adrenaline of winning a race is unreal, for me anyway.

Some people need a purpose. Racing does the trick for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ride Santos when I come down visiting my Dad every 2 years. Nice trails and a nice change for me, especially since it is winter up here that time of year. Speed and cornering on some of those trails would be hard to master, at least for me. Seems that the faster you ride, the more skill is needed to to hold the corners. Also, have you done much in the tech/rocky sections?
    Night riding changes trails, it's night and day.
    Group rides if you don't already do them. Riding with a group opens up new challenges and you might even hear about trails you haven't ridden before too.
    It is entirely possible that you are just plain done with it.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    Mountain biking doesn't define you, get out and expand the definition of "you"
    I am an avid mountain biker. I have other hobbies. None define who i am.

Explore other things, lean the bike against the wall and let it collect dust for a bit. You will eventually come full circle and find a desire to go for a ride. Nothing you try now to artificially inspire your self will match the "wow, i forgot how fun this is!" you will experience after taking an extended break.

Life is all about the journey. Enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPL Motivator94 View Post
    I started riding trails back in Georgia and now Im in Japan ripping up trails in Okinawa and I love it. A change in terrain and scenery definitely spice up riding.
    So the answer is move to another part of the world, OK.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    If you loose your passion for mountain biking, try doing something else. I started road riding and racing cyclocross in the fall. I also race dragon boat. A hobby is just a hobby and you don't need it to define who you are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Get a library card and immerse yourself in the literature of ennui and existentialism. Wallow in it. Start chain smoking unfiltered cigarettes. Wear black turtlenecks and black skinny jeans. That's kind of where you are in terms of mtn biking. The thrill is gone. Sigh. If you are experiencing this in other aspects of your life, mtn biking is not the problem.
    So take a road trip to somewhere totally different from Florida. Utah is the anti Florida, or AZ or Colorado.
    Start cross training and do an XTERRA race. Stir it up and shake it up already.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast