Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    i would KILL to ride your trails lol!

i'm down here where my choices are Markham, Amelia, Quiet waters (blegh), and Oleta (blegh).

count your blessings!
    no seriously though good luck with your journey, whatever the outcome.

mtbr member
    Quit your job, sell all your stuff and move to Colorado. Aside from Spearfishing and biking are there other things you like to do? For me if I can't mountain bike every day. Or ride any bike every day. Are there any rock climbing gyms near you? How about running, or more kayaking?
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Elevation does not necessarily equal fun riding, just as lack of elevation doesn't preclude it. If you've been mostly just taking the 'go-fast' route, try going slower and screwing around more on some rides. And yes, taking in the sights and just enjoying cruising around in the woods. Make a point to regularly do some exploring, take scenic breaks, bring the camera, bring the dog, bring beer.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I would say that if after 3 pages of posts you are not able to find reasons to continue riding and or ways to not be bored riding it might be time to give up on the sport. Best of luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kar Spear View Post
    Hey everybody,

This is my first post; I created an account to get some feedback on something I'm experiencing.

After 2 years of riding, I can rip through all my local trails and no matter how fast I'm going, I just don't have fun anymore.
    Remove your brakes - that would be heaps fun.

Other than that maybe try fixed and rigid MTB!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Give it up.

mtbr member
    bored of mt biking ? bro I live in Arizona..... enough said...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Michigan Wolverine
    Try a road bike. Its a totally different sensation. The speed is riveting and can offer a breath of fresh air if you're getting sick of the mountain scene. Or a cross bike on dirt roads. Similar, but has the versatility to be ridden on singletrack which adds a nice little challenge.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Without reading anything but your first post, I must say something. I rode Boyette twice around Thanksgiving time. Since then, I cannot get back on my bike without wishing I was there. I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale in April and will take a "little" detour just to ride Boyette! So for you to say you are bored, is heresy. Now, I'll read the rest of the thread.

Edit: I rode Red Shirt. I rode at about 7 mph and it was thrilling. If I ever got bored, I'd try it at 8 or 9 mph.

mtbr member
    boredom sets into the boring mind

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by justwan naride View Post
    Exploring new trails with a friend or two always re-ignites my passion for riding.
    Also, joining a faster, more skilled rider and trying to follow him does wonders. Your fitness/technique will improve this way too.
    Better still, join up with a faster, more skilled rider and try to keep up with HER.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    To me you've missed so much of the reason I mt bike.

I love to be in the woods with peace and quiet.
    Love looking at the foliage.
    Love the dirt, sand and grit.
    Love the smells, the air and different look of the forest at morning, noon and night.

Mt biking for me is a time to get some fresh air, relax while having fun. Decompress and just enjoy what we've been given.

My riding is not just about riding. It's the whole experience.

You seem to be looking for an adrenaline stew. You'd need to move to the mountains. But you may even still get bored it sounds.
    You've hit the nail on the head. I ride for the same reasons, only I've got desert not woods. Adrenaline is good once in a while, but feeding the need becomes a problem.

Singletrackmac
    As it has been suggested, get a different bike, or four. I have been mountain biking since '91 and try to ride every day, weather permitting (I live in Tahoe, so too much snow on the ground means BC ski instead, but I always would rather be mountain biking)

I have 5 different bikes going all the way back to my original '91 steel full rigid. I also have a hard tail with linkage fork, a 2x2, a 3x3 and a 5x5. Having such different bikes really changes things up. I generally ride the same local singletrack trails everyday since this is also when I take the dogs out for their walk, but never get bored since I switch my bikes up all the time. I will go adventure the many, many miles of singletracks around me when I can, but I have just as much fun everyday across the street from my house.

Only the '91 steel and the 5x5 I bought new, the others are all used and span from '95 to '04. Searching for a cool used ride, researching the old school parts and specs and fixing them up is all part of the adventure. Taking them out on the everyday trails makes everything seem different.

Check out your local CL or thrift store and get something good from the 90's. Completely different geometry, better cornering IMO, and a totally different feel to the ride. Check out the VRC forum for ideas on quality classic mountain bikes. I can tell you, those guys never get bored over there.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

mtbr member
    Ride urban. There are endless drops, skinnies, jumps, and technical terrain if you look for it. Great way to expand the skill set when local trails don't call for it.

Never ridden in Florida, but I ride in Michigan, which is flat to rolling terrain. I take 3 mountain biking vacations(week at a time) a year, to the rocks and terrain to the South and East. I build my skill set EVERY RIDE for those trips. Unless your name is Chris Akrigg or Danny Macaskill, there are endless new skills to learn.

Don't allow yourself to be complacent. There is no way you've mastered mountain biking after two years. No way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Variety really is the spice of life. Find some new and challenging trails. Plenty of them out there!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If someone has to tell you why to enjoy it, or how to enjoy it, maybe it's just not for you.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I get bored when I am not mountain biking.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Ow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    I get bored when I am not mountain biking.
    Yep. Me too. If it starts to get old, I just go faster and/or take more chances.

Professional Crastinator
    OP, your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to go back though this thread and compile ALL of the suggestions into a list.

I was going to "2nd" and "+1" a few posts until I saw how many good ideas appear here.

My only suggestions are to ride those all-too-familiar trails in reverse, maybe at night - and to start linking trails together where you ride a trail, then ride to another trail and ride that.
    Check out some local club rides.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I use all of the above and mix it up to keep it fresh. I'll trailride one day, the road bike another day, ride the singlespeed, practice my pathetic jumping skills, take the downhill bike to the bike park on the weekend, take a road trip and explore some new trails. In winter I look forward to riding the fatbike, and 3 years ago I took up snowboarding on the weekends, which I love. If none of that works then it's time to put the bike away for a while, try some hiking or a camping trip. In the middle of the summer my work hours go through the roof, and at times it's a struggle to get motivated for anything, so I know what you mean. Good luck!
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Take a 6 year sabbatical from riding. Then take it up again at age 50. All those ez obsatcles are now challenging, the 2 ft drop offs now terrifying, and the hills seem steeper. Ask me how I know....

mtbr member
    When I lived in Florida, I was able to ride from the parking lot out to ridgeline, do ridgeline twice, and ride back to my car without putting a foot on the ground or stopping in less than an hour. Miss that ride, and I never got bored of doing it. I rode it at least three times a week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Night ride. It will make the trails like new. Harder. More exciting. Cooler temps at night, too.

Ride More, Whine Less
    If you like being on a bike, there are endless variations that you can consider. Just mix things up -- road, night, group rides, solo rides, etc.

AZ
    banned
    Take up running, you will soon grow to appreciate cycling.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast