Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Definitely change up what it doing, ur loosing interest because its become boring. New bike, new venues will change ur whole mentality. I make it a personal goal to ride at least one new trailset every season. Already have 1 maybe 2 trips planned for this season, just weekend of riding camping and a little fishing.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OP,

Lot's of good suggestions above-the best being plan a trip to different trails IMO. I'll add that riding with ones weak foot forward can make ones home trails a little new/fresh if you're not already comfortable doing so.

mtbr member
    Try riding nude, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

MTB B'dos
    Curious, do you ride solo or with others? Ask as well, you may just not quite be as fast as you think, if you don't ride with others, give it a try, you may find they help push you and show you knew lines etc. Another option is to buy a rigid fork and go full rigid, that will usually take care of trails being to easy to ride and make them interesting again. Another option if you're allowed on your tails is night riding, definitely will make old trails seem new again.

As to your question of learning your trails so well you know where every rock and root is, yup, that's me, but I still can't clean all of them and with our weather constantly changing them up, they're not the same exactly for long, always small changes happening.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    You only think you are fast. Try Strava, people will surprise you.
    Does that mean you're actually a SlowBanana?

mtbr member
    Build up a rigid SS. It can be done fairly cheap and it makes trails that were boring fun again, you'll also improve your skills and fitness. I find building a new bike makes me want to ride it.

How bout trailwork? Any chance of building more trails nearby? It eats up a bunch of time and you can build a trail suited to your skill level that should help restore the fun. You may need to join up with a local club or deal with land managers, but its worth it in the end.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Are the mountain bike trails in your area built and maintained by volunteers? Get more involved with your local IMBA chapter, and with trail maintenance. Think a trail is boring? If you have the blessing of the land manager, then build some features that make the trail exciting again. Not enough trails in the area? Then help advocate for more. Also, if you do start volunteering at a local trail, you tend to take some ownership of it, and it becomes more fun to ride again, as you are looking for ways to improve it or identify problem areas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Been riding XC for over 21 yrs and have yet to get bored but as mentioned I do a lot of volunteer trail maintenance and Ride many different trails each year.

Buying a new bike does help also

Oh, something I recently started doing is bike camping and night riding, it's been a blast, try it .

mtbr member
    Exploring new trails with a friend or two always re-ignites my passion for riding.
    Also, joining a faster, more skilled rider and trying to follow him does wonders. Your fitness/technique will improve this way too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have never been in the situation where I am bored of riding, but I would suggest getting a set of lights and getting into night riding. Its a whole different experience and even trails you have ridden a hundred times feel like a different world.

I've gotten to the point where I prefer it over riding by daylight

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: Bored of Mountain Biking...?

Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    Does that mean you're actually a SlowBanana?
    Yes. Yes it does.

In all seriousness, I am in the top 10% on most downhill runs, climbing in top 50. But there are lots of very good riders in Colorado. Strava is a fun tool.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kar Spear View Post
    I also freedive and spearfish, and I never get bored of that, probably because it is constantly different, even at the same reef/wreck, and theres always surprises.
    Ya so do I probably my favorite hobby. Do you go out on charters or have your own boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Kar Spear View Post
    Warboom, I actually live about a 10 minute bike ride from flatwoods. There is literally 0 elevation change there, so I've promised myself never to go back. I understand that some people love biking for the fitness aspect of it, and flatwoods is perfect for that. Personally, the drops and speed are what got me hooked to biking. Unfortunately, the downs at alafia/boyette have lost their thrill.
    Ride them faster or session certain spots and focus on getting air!

Do you ride by yourself or with a group?
    You are more than welcome to join our group.

mm9
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    OP - A lot of good suggestions here, new bikes, new places and new challenges with mtnbiking. Personally, I need adventure variety. When I start feeling bored of one of my passions, I just quit doing it for a while and turn to other things. The passion eventually comes back. I used to feel a little guilty when this would happen. Now, I know, this is just the way I'm wired. Whatever I'm doing, I try to keep fitness up, so that I can switch gears into various types of adventure passions.

pin it
    Most people quit something that they are lousy at or fail... most people don't give up entirely when they get really good at it.
    Maybe try a different type of riding? Like dh, freeriding? racing? change of scenery?

I only did road cycling until I was introduced to mtn biking 6 years ago... I ride year round in all weather conditions, different styles: dh, trail/am/dj, urban, and sometimes indoors), day time/night time.... gosh the possibilities are endless!

Maybe you need to change something to shock your body or add more stimulation to your brain.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPL Motivator94 View Post
    I started riding trails back in Georgia and now Im in Japan ripping up trails in Okinawa and I love it. A change in terrain and scenery definitely spice up riding.
    Trails in Okinawa? I was stationed there some 30 years ago or so and was a road biker then. I must have been brave. Today I ride only in the woods, road biking scares me. Got any pictures of those rides in Okinawa? Would really enjoy seeing the old homeland. lived there for 6 years of my Air Force career.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I find going fast on unchallenging terrain boring too. Since you might not have a lot of opportunities to check out varied types of trails, forget speed and concentrate on style. Learn how to whip, manual, X-up, tabletop, etc. Nail down some trials moves. Pick up a BMX bike as a learning aid, take it to the local skateparks and dirt jumps and open up a whole new aspect of riding (be prepared to help dig as a price for admission).
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If ride a FS, try HT
    if HT, try rigid
    if rigid, try SS
    or try CX
    or a roadie

or better yet, try riding at night
    and most definitely, try different trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Sometimes I ride alone but most of the time its with my brother or a few buddies.

I lived in Dubai for a few years and that's where I began spearfishing. My addiction to diving and spearfishing actually sprouted from a boredom of kayak fishing haha.

I got bored of just sitting on a kayak and casting rods, so I learned to dive and spearfish. In Dubai, I took a rigged up kayak to a small island about a 1 mile paddle away. What I love about it is that its always different (visibility, structure, depth, etc), and also, the fact that there is a tangible product as a result of the activity (fish/dinner). In florida, I go to spanish rocks/1 mile reef, but it has been a while. Will start back up as the water gets warmer. Do you own a boat?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I think night riding would be fun. What parks around here allow night riding? (most close at sunset).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Bored of Mountain Biking...?

Move to a state with mountains and go mountain biking. You may like it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    try mtn. biking. living in Florida, you haven't yet
    I try mixing it up some. Ride the trails in a different direction. Bored. Never happens. I ride the same trails all the time. I have at least 70 miles of trails within a 1- 30 minute bike ride. 15 at the end of my street. Here in New England we have the four seasons. Wind ,cold, heat and that white stuff, snow. Makes for a variety. Try studded tires on a frozen pond or off camber trail. Fat biking is really popular here. Any beaches in FL to fat bike on? Ever done a bikepacking trip? See the trail through the eyes of a kid or newbee. Any mt bike clubs around. You are hereby officially invited to NEMBA fest, June 20-22 , Kingdom Trails VT. Some of the best mt biking in all New England. I'll buy the first round. Miles of sustained downhill singletracks, awesome flow and a bike park as well. Start there.

mtbr member
    To me you've missed so much of the reason I mt bike.

I love to be in the woods with peace and quiet.
    Love looking at the foliage.
    Love the dirt, sand and grit.
    Love the smells, the air and different look of the forest at morning, noon and night.

Mt biking for me is a time to get some fresh air, relax while having fun. Decompress and just enjoy what we've been given.

My riding is not just about riding. It's the whole experience.

You seem to be looking for an adrenaline stew. You'd need to move to the mountains. But you may even still get bored it sounds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I don't understand how moving to the mountains is even an option. Have any of you quit your job or dropped out of school and moved north with no job lined up? If so, please elaborate.

mtbr member
    There is a thread on quitting your job and moving. Quite interesting.
    I live in the north, so no quitting needed although I live in tame/easy trail area anyway, but it's far from boring for me.

If only the tech aspect pf this sport excited me, I'd been done mt biking long ago. I call it trail biking anyway. No mountains in Michigan.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    To me you've missed so much of the reason I mt bike.
    Likewise, I'm sure.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast