Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Now with flavor!!

Bootleg Canyon Budget Cut

From an email:

Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 1:37 PM
    Subject:

I just got a call from Roger Hall director of BC Parks and Rec. He informed me that this Tuesday at 7:00 am at the City Budget meeting that the City Council will cut the Bootleg Canyon Budget. This is a huge set back for all of us that use the facility.
    I need you to write the City of Boulder and ask them to support the trails and move forward with parking, camping and the tools needed to keep bootleg the best that it can be. I have worked on the trails for over 12 years and put in over 40 miles of bike trails worth over $500,000.00 on a low bid! They need to be protected!

send me a note
    who you are
    what you are
    when you come here
    where you are from
    why you would like to see the facility kept up!
    and any thing else that pertains

If anyone can be there I would appreciate it!
    Brent Thomson
    Bootleg Canyon Trail Master
    482 Aaron way
    Boulder City NV 89005
    702 293-3472
    Cell 702 204-7810

Not very specific, I know.....but figured it was worth mentioning.

If you give a damn, write a letter.

:\ ping of death
    Im a Vegas resident and I know how much Bootleg means to the riders out here and our visitors. Brent's got my support. Thx for the info.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    You might want to start threads on the Nevada & Save the Trails boards.

There was a thread on General a few days ago about Bootleg also.

mtbr member
    Letter sent.

Thanks for the heads up kidwoo.

Young, Shawn Young
    I'll be at the meeting on Tuesday. It seems that Bootleg has come under alot of fire of late and I wonder if it is all connected in some sinister way. At any rate, Im sure alot of people that visit these boards have ridden or plan to ride Bootleg in the coming year so please give a shout out,

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    I'll be at the meeting on Tuesday. It seems that Bootleg has come under alot of fire of late and I wonder if it is all connected in some sinister way.
    Shawn
    Post some info if you find out anything interesting on Tuesday. It amazes me when other groups who had nothing to do with the construction of a trail that has existed for years decides the activity of those who built it is now illegitimate. The scary thing is that the Sierra Club and their bizillions of dollars is now aimed at Boulder City for some reason. If you know the area, you know what "harm" rubber tires are causing and not 20minutes away lies the most unregulated civic nightmare of expansion.........yet bikes are the target in a public city park in a small adjacent town.. And baseball diamonds with pesticides and synthetic fetilizers galore are left in the clear as public space while an area that should be a model gets attacked..

I don't know if the two are related but it is kind of an odd coincidence.

E !

WTF is going on here?

And a tuesday morning? i cannot get off work for that! Sounds like a bunch of old folks with time on there hands. Contacting Brent now.
    the - E - dog

desert dweller

Boulder City Parks and Rec Contact info:

Here is the contact information for the Boulder City Parks and Recreation Department. Please fax or email letters directly. Snail mail will be too slow to reach the city council before the meeting. I placed the rest of the information on the BARTA website and sent a email to our membership. http://www.barta-nv.com

Boulder City Parks And Recreation ATTN: Roger Hall
    Boulder City Recreation Center
    900 Arizona Street
    Boulder City, Nevada 89005
    Phone (702) 293-9256
    Fax (702) 293-9419
    E-mail: parks@bcnv.org
    Last edited by mattbikeboy; 05-12-2005 at 09:35 PM.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    Here is the contact information for the Boulder City Parks and Recreation Department. Please fax or email letters directly. Snail mail will be too slow to reach the city council before the meeting. I placed the rest of the information on the BARTA website and sent a email to our membership. http://www.barta-nv.com

900 Arizona Street
    Phone (702) 293-9256
    Fax (702) 293-9419
    Thanks for posting that.

desert dweller

Bootleg Needs Your Help!

It's been a rough spring in Bootleg Canyon. One of the original trails has been designated "Hikers Only" and now forces are building to cut the park budget, roll back trail access to mountain bikers and halt further enhancements to Bootleg Canyon Mountain Bike Park facilities.

Any mountain biker who visits, plans to visit or desires to visit -- Please write a quick note to the Boulder City Parks and Recreation Department (cc Brent Thomson) using the addresses given in the threads above.

Matt

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy

900 Arizona Street
    Phone (702) 293-9256
    Fax (702) 293-9419
    One suggestion: When writing, avoid "bashing" those who may be responsible for this. Emphasize the positive benefits of mountainbiking, express concern about the access issues mountain bikers face, even express disagreement with those who criticize mountain biking, but nothing turns off policymakers faster than ranting about the "other side".

Buzzwords such as "Eco-terrorist", "Hiker Nazis", etc. only make you look defensive and distract from the positive argument you should be trying to make.

Good Luck!

mtbr member

Bootleg Canyon cutting funding!

Check this out. Don't let 'em cut the funding here.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news...leview&id=2565
    -Sean

desert dweller

Just Keeping the Thread in View

Bootleg Needs Your Help!
    It's been a rough spring in Bootleg Canyon. One of the original trails has been designated "Hikers Only" and now forces are building to cut the park budget, roll back trail access to mountain bikers and halt further enhancements to Bootleg Canyon Mountain Bike Park facilities.

Any mountain biker who visits, plans to visit or desires to visit -- Please write a quick note to the Boulder City Parks and Recreation Department (cc Brent Thomson) using the addresses given in the threads above. Please respond politely and professionally -- it gets your message across much better than flaming the BC City Council.

Thanks,

Matt

desert dweller

Bootleg Canyon Action Alert!

Sorry for taking so much time and space lately. Bootleg Canyon is under threat. I have posted an online petition to secure funding for Bootleg Canyon.

Please fax or email the Boulder City Parks and Recreation Department before Monday afternoon. Even if you are not a local. Explain in your correspondance that the only reason you would ever visit (or have ever visited) Boulder City is to ride mountain bikes in the world famous Bootleg Canyon Mountain Bike Park. It would also be helpful if you have spent money at local restaraunts, bikes shops, art gallerys, grocery stores, etc.

I'm afraid the BC City Council doesn't care about mountain biking. So if we approach them with the monetary benefits to the town --maybe they will listen.

See my posting in the Nevada Forum Here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...384#post908384

Thanks,
    Matt
    Last edited by mattbikeboy; 05-14-2005 at 08:28 PM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

my e-mail, FWIW...

Hi, folks, I would like to introduce myself. My name is wendell Stam, and I live in Driggs, Idaho. I travel to las Vegas 2-3 times a year, for trade shows in the sporting goods fields, and I do have to say that for the last two years, I no longer stay anywhere near the strip...I much prefer to stay in BC for the entire duration of my stays.
    The reason why I choose BC, of course, is obvious...the trails. Yes, I enjoy the food and laid back, non strip life, but truly, what brings me to spend my hotel nights, (and my money in restaurants), in your special burgh, is the trails, pure and simple.
    Great singletrack, to me, and many many others, is an invaluable resource...and one that is coming to light as being a vital economic resource for many towns all over the globe. Please witness what vital and well established trail networks have done for Moab, Sun Valley, Whistler, BC, Cannan, WV, Downieville, Ca, Jackson, WY, Sedona, AZ, Fruita, CO (REALLY look at this example, it has transformed a town!).
    Bootleg is a precious resource, and it is only just being discovered by crowd that has no problem not only spending a bit of travel money in a town, but also are looking for great communities in which to invest,endorse, and settle. Cycling is a clean activity, and by courting it, you court the most desireable of all demographics...affluent, healthy, and honest.
    Bootleg is obviously in a unique position: Brent (whom I do not personally know, for clarification) arguably has spent the last decade building superb trails, with Mt. Biking in mind, only for the other lobbies gunning to steal them for their own nefarious purposes..this, as you must agree, delves into the realm of 'what is not right'.
    I hope to continue to base my travel plans around BC for the foreseeable future, however, the city of BC's attitude regarding the future of Bootleg's continuation must be a factor in my own plans, as well as thousands of others from the Mt. Bike community. I do hope that the council chooses what is best for the overall opportunities in BC!
    Sincerely, Wendell Stam

Young, Shawn Young

Bump

Click on the link guys and gals. It only takes 2 minutes

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member

Thanks guys

I completed the petition, sent a letter and an e-mail.
    It's nice to see people getting involved. Keep up the good work.

C

E !

I put in my petition

And letter. Keep them going.
    Notice from the kiosk at bootleg.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the - E - dog

mtbr member
    May 2004

I did too - see my email sent

Here is what I emailed:

"To Whom It May Concern,

I would like to express my dismay and concern over the possible closure or reduced funding of the Bootleg Canyon Mt Bike Park (BCMBP).

I live in Olympia, WA, and drive to the Vegas and BC areas a couple times a year. Part of my time is spent in BCMBP enjoying the awesome, dry, sunny trails – something I don’t often have here in western WA state! When I come to your area I stay at your hotels and utilize your services – restaurants, pubs, movies, etc, - even laundromats, hah! It’s a great place to come relax, get some great exercise and meet people from all over the country.

Within the Mt Bike community, BCMBP is well known and is practically on everyone’s list to visit – which almost always means a local stay in your community. In fact, some Mt Bikers are actively planning to relocate/retire in your community – both due to the great trails and the proximity of Vegas (without having to live in Vegas).

Please, at the very least, consider delaying your vote and please gather additional information. I would encourage you to gather/promote an honest conference on this subject and be sure to invite representatives from IMBA, NORBA, from the MTBR.com community, and from local and Nevada Mt. Biking groups and clubs. I believe – with a little bit of that good ‘ol American Ingenuity – that a way could be found for survival of the trail system for both bikers and hikers to everyone’s benefit, including Boulder City.

Thanks for considering my opinions and viewpoint. Please contact me if I can help in any other way.

-- signed--"

I also signed the petition.

-Bladeboy

Hmmmmm

... and if we just ... Thanks !!!

Thanks to all, who are taking part in an effort to stop what is happening at Bootleg.
    I was up there today and the rocks are back on Boyscout trail only a week after they where removed.
    This Guy "Peter" that is the root of the hiking issue, is usualy up there in the mornings during the week unless he has friends with him, in which case he'll venture up on the weekends.
    He's not stupid, he wants to avoid the bikers.

Thanks Eric.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

desert dweller

Bump

Please help Bootleg and write to the BC Parks & Recreation Dept this morning.

matt

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Help Save Bootleg Canyon

As you are aware, the city is trying to cut funding to Bootleg Canyon. Brent Thomson is asking for letters to be written on Bootleg Canyon's behalf. While I understand that it may be hard to find the time to write a letter, I was nice enough to attach a template that I will be sending out today. You're more than welcome to put your name on it, make changes you see necessary, or write your own. The point is, Brent needs the help. He has spent thousands and thousands of hours making Bootleg what it is today, and now he needs help. His big plan is to put in a chairlift...imagine how nice that would be!

For the folks who haven't been there, we need your help, too. Believe me, this is a must see place, and you need to ensure that it will be there when you do decide to take a road trip!

We already lost Big Bear, so it would be shame to lose Bootleg...we need to help the people who help our sport!
    Attached Files Attached Files

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WWT
    His big plan is to put in a chairlift...imagine how nice that would be!
    For whom?

My pants are smart.
    Jun 2004
    i sent a response in... hope it helps.

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    JD,

Your question is a bit vague...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast